X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Great Records that only YOU know about.

I've always felt closer to the albums I own that I love but no-one else knows about. Anyone else know what I mean?

Sure, there are Classic albums, albums that every rock fan SHOULD own, and they have their magic, their brilliance their pure genius.

But then there's the great albums from the bands that should have been huge but weren't. The bands you mention to friends only to be met with a blank and vacant stare which says "Who? What the fuck are you talking about?"

Anyone got any albums like that? Albums that are like old friends?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I'll start.

My first three of these albums come from a British rock band: The Almighty. They started off as a sort of biker rock band, but by the time of their third studio album, Powertrippin', had become something unique, powerful and heavy as hell:

[IMG}http://www.jamiesummers.dsl.pipex.com/blog/almighty.gif[/IMG]

Imagine The Stone Temple Piliots meets Warrior Soul, but with a better lyricist and even more anger. I bought this album the day it came out, and love it to death.

Their next record, Crank, was even better. Pure fuckin anger, more stripped down than before and with more of a punk feel. I can't think of many albums with more punch or bite. Just pure power, with amazing lyrics than bite like a bitch on heat. This would be one of my top five favourite albums EVER:

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Another one no-one's ever heard of:

Kerbdog - On the Turn.

Ireland's answer to grunge, a fuckin' amazing album. Taut and grating guitars, riff after riff after riff, immense chorus's, and songs which are relentlessly passionate and desperately catchy. Bob Mould would have killed to write this. Every song was a winner, IMO.

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Next up, The Wildhearts - Earth vs the Wildhearts.

Massive Cheap Trick influence, but this band was far more abbrasive, Huge riffs, kick-yer-teeth in attitude and lyrics that told stories as well as making you grin from ear to ear. The Wildhearts have put out some killer records over the years, but they never came close to repeating this. Very, very British, and one of the best albums of the 90s, IMO.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I've got a couple of others too, but I thought I'd see if anyone else dug the idea of the thread first....

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Great thread binnie

I give it 5 "I'd Hit Its"

I have 2 that to this day, are in heavy rotation in Casa De Lounge

Little Women

"Pretty Wiped Out"

ca. 1990 Portland band led by Jerry Joseph

The Pistoleros

"Hang Onto Nothing"

ca. 2000 Tempe band led by Lawrence Zubia

Pistoleros were actually started by Doug Hopkins after he was booted from The Gin Blossoms.

If anyone here has actually heard of either of these 2 disc I'd be FLABBERGHASTED
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Cheers Lounge, stuff like that was exactly what I was talking about, the rare gems.

I've never heard of either band but I really liked the Gin Blossoms, so I'll check out the Pistoleros.

Many thanks

Comment

• katie
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Nov 2004

My dad used to play these to me when I was growing up.
                I still play them today.

Huge bombastic classic rock!

-----------------------------------------
                Rockdetector Biography« Back to Artist Page

Stylish, Welsh Hard Rock merchants centred upon former UNIVERSE and SKID ROW guitarist PAUL CHAPMAN. LONE STAR was originally called IONA. Prior to adopting the LONE STAR title, a formative drummer, Steve Williams, joined QUEST in 1973 before he journeyed onto premier Welsh rockers BUDGIE. In turn, QUEST bassist Ray Jones joined LONE STAR in 1974.

During 1975, with original vocalist Kenny Driscoll, LONE STAR debuted with a British support slot to TED NUGENT to promote the Epic released ‘Lone Star’ album. Driscoll was to pack his bags in 1977 and was replaced by former TRAPPER vocalist JOHN SLOMAN, who recorded the second album, 'Firing On All Six', with the group. The group failed to survive though and guitarist Paul Chapman, following rehearsals with German act the SCORPIONS, rejoined UFO replacing the errant Michael Schenker whom he had covered for previously. A proposed third LONE STAR album 'Riding High' was shelved, finally seeing a belated release in 1999.

Sloman would, after contributing keyboards to UFO's 'The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent' album, end up joining URIAH HEEP for a period. Post URIAH HEEP Sloman formed part of the shortlived BADLANDS project assembled by ex-TYGERS OF PAN TANG guitarist JOHN SYKES and ex WHITESNAKE bassist Neil Murray. BADLANDS folded when Sykes got the call to join THIN LIZZY and Sloman went solo.

Drummer Dixie Lee teamed up with WILD HORSES before joining Canadian act STARCHILD then British Metal act PERSIAN RISK. He would also sit in on demos for the proto OZZY OSBOURNE band. Chapman's guitar partner Tony Smith formed SCREEN IDOLS with whom he released one album, 'Premiere', in 1979.

In July 2006 Chapman joined the GATOR COUNTRY BAND, a seasoned collection of MOLLY HATCHET veterans vocalist Jimmy Farrar, guitarist Steve Holland, bassist Riff West and drummer Bruce Crump.

Track Listings
                1. She Said She Said (8:29)
                2. Lonely Soldier (5:09)
                3. Flying In The Reel (4:54)
                4. Spaceships (6:44)
                5. A New Day (5:14)
                6. A Million Stars (3:50)
                7. Illusions (3:12)

8. The Bells Of Berlin (6:55)
                9. The Ballad Of Crafty Jack (3:41)
                10. Time Lays Down (4:49)
                11. Hypnotic Mover (4:27)
                12. Lovely Lubina (3:36)
                13. Seasons In Your Eyes (4:13)
                14. Rivers Overflowing (4:57)
                15. All Of Us To All Of You (4:55)

Total Time: 75:11

Line-up/Musicians
                - Paul Chapman / guitars
                - Tony Smith / guitars
                - Rick Worsnop / keyboards
                - Pete Hurley / bass
                - Dixie Lee / drums
                - Kenny Driscoll /vocals (1 - 7)
                - John Sloman / vocals (8 - 15)

Releases information
                Audio CD (May 31, 2004)
                Number of Discs:1
                Label: Bgo
                ASIN: B0001ZXMJA
                Catalogue Number: BGOCD618
                This is a re-issue of the first two albums on one CD

This is the only youtube of the band.
                Not their best track & not their best line up, but still good stuff.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Y9QpRpV4rY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Y9QpRpV4rY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• ace diamond
                  Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

i have several.

for instance........Rogue male(kinda sounds like a motorhead rip off,but i dig 'em)

and HELLWITCH!!!

great stuff.
                  Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                  When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                  "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• ace diamond
                    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

not to mention.......ME!

The Ace Diamond Experience-Prime Meridian Mind Fuck

my new cd....
                    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Oct 2004

Most of the Great Albums that "only I know" are ones I advertise non-stop to anyone who will listen;

"Born Again Savage" by Little Steven [1999]

A pleasantly accessible mix of loud guitars, chugging rhythms and barked vocals surrounded by 60s mythology and imagery...even if the lyrics sometimes do get a bit daft.

"Snow" by Spock's Beard [2001]

I see it as "Tommy" for the 21st century (but marginally more proggy)...about a mind reading Albino Priest who can cure people but ultimatley creates his own downfall...the only thing that lets it down is the final cheesey "I love you" from Neal Morse, which may be because he quit the band once the album was released.

Refugee-Refugee [the year escapes me]

After Keith Emerson left The Nice to form ELP, the remainding 2 members of the band formed Refugee with Patrick Moraz. Sadly, they only managed one album when Moraz joined Yes for "Relayer".

Brian May-Back To The Light [1992]

Better than some Queen albums. Certainly in the Top 10 solo albums ever made. Slightly more rockin' than most Queen albums though. And "Let Your Heart Rule Your Head" is "39"'s slightly more electric younger half-cousin twice removed. The Small Faces cover is pretty fun too...although I prefer the cover of Mott The Hoople's "All The Way From Memphis" which he did on the follow up...which on the whole wasn't as good.

Slade-Old, New, Borrowed & Blue [1974]

Slade are normally viewed as a singles band...but they were a fucking good album band too. Get some early 70s Slade albums...they are fucking good. Better yet, get the 2-CD edition of "Slade Alive", features both volumes of "Slade Alive", plus "Slade on Stage" and the "Alive at Reading" EP. One of the best Live bands ever, For a band who were so successful in the UK, they are they so overlooked.
                      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Cheers Shaun, the Refugee and Little Steven albums sound very interesting.

As you know, I'm not a Queen fan so I doubt I'll like Brian's album. Might give that Slade one a go though....

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by katie

You're the second person to mention this band to me. I must check them out.

Cheers

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Here's one...

Parliament - Osmium - Their first full release from 1970

Excellent album! It has everything; Hendrix-Esque Acid Rock, Soul, Gospel, Country...COUNTRY ?!?

Yep...listen to this...

<div align="center" style="background:#000000; width:320; height:141"><embed class="MOGPlayer" wmode="transparent" style="height:122px;width:320px;" src="http://mog.com/player.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="320" height="122" name="MOGPlayerRMLXTWBPxlW.mp3" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="info=http://mog.com/l/RMLXTWBPxlW.mp3"/><br><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="padding-right:10px;padding-left:10px;"><tr><td align="left" width="100" height="22"><a href="http://mog.com/" target="_blank" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:#FFFFFF; font-size:12px">mog.com</a></td><td align="center" width="160"><a href="http://mog.com/Cody_B/blog_post/67163" target="_blank" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:#FFFFFF; font-size:12px">More about this song</a></td><td align="right" width="60"><a href="http://mog.com/blog_post/share/67163" target="_blank" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:#FFFFFF; font-size:12px">Share</a></td></tr></table></div>

Here are samples of the rest of the album...

I Call My Baby Pussycat

Put Love In Your Life

Moonshine Heather

Oh Lord, Why Lord - Prayer

My Automobile

Nothing Before Me But Thang

Funky Woman

Livin' the Life

The Silent Boatman

Red Hot Mama

Breakdown

Come in Out of the Rain

Fantasy Is Reality

Unfinished Instrumental

Loose Booty

Awesome album!

Last edited by ELVIS; 11-20-2007, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Link

best guitar album since VH

Greg Howe's album, "Ascend" is a collection of progressive compositions which highlight Howe's incredible technique and melodic genius. Howe duels with Shrapnel keyboard virtuoso Vitalij Kuprij in an intense progressive musical setting. Extreme Musicianship On-Board.

Comment

Working...