X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyChad
    Groupie
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by katie

My dad used to play these to me when I was growing up.
    I still play them today.

Huge bombastic classic rock!

-----------------------------------------
    Rockdetector Biography« Back to Artist Page

Stylish, Welsh Hard Rock merchants centred upon former UNIVERSE and SKID ROW guitarist PAUL CHAPMAN. LONE STAR was originally called IONA. Prior to adopting the LONE STAR title, a formative drummer, Steve Williams, joined QUEST in 1973 before he journeyed onto premier Welsh rockers BUDGIE. In turn, QUEST bassist Ray Jones joined LONE STAR in 1974.

During 1975, with original vocalist Kenny Driscoll, LONE STAR debuted with a British support slot to TED NUGENT to promote the Epic released ‘Lone Star’ album. Driscoll was to pack his bags in 1977 and was replaced by former TRAPPER vocalist JOHN SLOMAN, who recorded the second album, 'Firing On All Six', with the group. The group failed to survive though and guitarist Paul Chapman, following rehearsals with German act the SCORPIONS, rejoined UFO replacing the errant Michael Schenker whom he had covered for previously. A proposed third LONE STAR album 'Riding High' was shelved, finally seeing a belated release in 1999.

Sloman would, after contributing keyboards to UFO's 'The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent' album, end up joining URIAH HEEP for a period. Post URIAH HEEP Sloman formed part of the shortlived BADLANDS project assembled by ex-TYGERS OF PAN TANG guitarist JOHN SYKES and ex WHITESNAKE bassist Neil Murray. BADLANDS folded when Sykes got the call to join THIN LIZZY and Sloman went solo.

Drummer Dixie Lee teamed up with WILD HORSES before joining Canadian act STARCHILD then British Metal act PERSIAN RISK. He would also sit in on demos for the proto OZZY OSBOURNE band. Chapman's guitar partner Tony Smith formed SCREEN IDOLS with whom he released one album, 'Premiere', in 1979.

In July 2006 Chapman joined the GATOR COUNTRY BAND, a seasoned collection of MOLLY HATCHET veterans vocalist Jimmy Farrar, guitarist Steve Holland, bassist Riff West and drummer Bruce Crump.

Track Listings
    1. She Said She Said (8:29)
    2. Lonely Soldier (5:09)
    3. Flying In The Reel (4:54)
    4. Spaceships (6:44)
    5. A New Day (5:14)
    6. A Million Stars (3:50)
    7. Illusions (3:12)

8. The Bells Of Berlin (6:55)
    9. The Ballad Of Crafty Jack (3:41)
    10. Time Lays Down (4:49)
    11. Hypnotic Mover (4:27)
    12. Lovely Lubina (3:36)
    13. Seasons In Your Eyes (4:13)
    14. Rivers Overflowing (4:57)
    15. All Of Us To All Of You (4:55)

Total Time: 75:11

Line-up/Musicians
    - Paul Chapman / guitars
    - Tony Smith / guitars
    - Rick Worsnop / keyboards
    - Pete Hurley / bass
    - Dixie Lee / drums
    - Kenny Driscoll /vocals (1 - 7)
    - John Sloman / vocals (8 - 15)

Releases information
    Audio CD (May 31, 2004)
    Number of Discs:1
    Label: Bgo
    ASIN: B0001ZXMJA
    Catalogue Number: BGOCD618
    This is a re-issue of the first two albums on one CD

This is the only youtube of the band.
    Not their best track & not their best line up, but still good stuff.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Y9QpRpV4rY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Y9QpRpV4rY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    Wow Katie, this just landed from Amazon today.

Had the vinyl versions years ago and thought it time I upgraded.

Bells of Berlin, top track.

Comment

• katie
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by AndyChad
      Wow Katie, this just landed from Amazon today.

Had the vinyl versions years ago and thought it time I upgraded.

Bells of Berlin, top track.
      You sir have great taste!

My faves are from 1st LP
      She Said, She Said & Spaceships - Simply jaw-dropping AWESOME!

BTW Love Bells of berlin - great drumming.

Listen to these tracks with the headphones on, great stereo seperation & panning.

Loving this thread

Comment

• AndyChad
        Groupie
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by katie
        You sir have great taste!

My faves are from 1st LP
        She Said, She Said & Spaceships - Simply jaw-dropping AWESOME!

BTW Love Bells of berlin - great drumming.

Listen to these tracks with the headphones on, great stereo seperation & panning.

Loving this thread
        Great clip of "All of Us..", but doesn't the riff remind you of "Burn" by

Purple?!! Always liked John Slomans voice, saw him with Uriah Heep

years ago.

May get shot down here everyone, but have a listen to Steve Hogarth

era Marillion especially "Afraid of Sunlight". Great singer/songwriter.

"Gazpacho" from this album is great.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If you loved the first three Clash albums, but wondered what the fuck they were thinking with Sandanista, you will love Operation Ivy.....

They didn't make this video, but it fits the times......

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lc3e_xN_JNc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lc3e_xN_JNc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7P4E9e1Duag&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7P4E9e1Duag&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jharp84
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

1) Adam Bomb - Fatal Attraction

2) TKO - In Your Face!

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Savatage - Sirens (1983)

Most people know them from either "Hall of the Mountain King" or as Savatage-Lite aka Trans-Siberian Orchestra...but their debut in 1983, "Sirens", ranks right up there with Iron Maiden, Metallica...any other metal band that came out with their first album in the 80s...

In my own personal list, Sirens ranks at #3 on my list of all time top 10 debut albums by ANYBODY, period...back in '83, they were signed to a tiny label in Florida known as Par Records; copies of the album were so few and far between that Steve Wacholz (drummer) once told me people had 5th/6th generation copied cassettes...

Fucking shame...Criss Oliva's guitar skill was...beyond reproach - simply fucking incredible, the best parts of Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads and a bit of Yngwie Malmsteen thrown in for good measure...where they could have gone with REAL management and representation...

Ahhh well...trust me though, this album is a FUCKING ALL TIME CLASSIC.

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• cMb
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Feb 2007

An old school thrash/power metal band who (unfortunately) signed with Profile Records in the late 80's.

Profile pretty much ruined their career by not funding or promoting them, but not letting them out of their deal either.

This classic metal gem never got the recognition it deserved.

Outstanding production, vocals & a killer guitar tone from what had to be a minimal budget.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                    Savatage - Sirens (1983)

Most people know them from either "Hall of the Mountain King" or as Savatage-Lite aka Trans-Siberian Orchestra...but their debut in 1983, "Sirens", ranks right up there with Iron Maiden, Metallica...any other metal band that came out with their first album in the 80s...

In my own personal list, Sirens ranks at #3 on my list of all time top 10 debut albums by ANYBODY, period...back in '83, they were signed to a tiny label in Florida known as Par Records; copies of the album were so few and far between that Steve Wacholz (drummer) once told me people had 5th/6th generation copied cassettes...

Fucking shame...Criss Oliva's guitar skill was...beyond reproach - simply fucking incredible, the best parts of Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads and a bit of Yngwie Malmsteen thrown in for good measure...where they could have gone with REAL management and representation...

Ahhh well...trust me though, this album is a FUCKING ALL TIME CLASSIC.

I might give this a spin. I've never really liked Savatge, a little OTT for my taste. In fact, I've always thought of them as a poor man's Queensryche. I appreciate the musicianship, just don't care for the style. I'll check it out though Master Bob.
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

BB I have that album, the force is strong !
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Metal Church !

Thats another goodie..

Knock em down,
                        GODS OF ROTH !!! (Wrath)

hehheeheh

Awesome.....
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Spreading the Disease - Anthrax

Best ever Anthrax album ever ever ever...

I always thought everyone had this album, but it
                          seems these days its a rarity.. Worth mentioning...
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Panamark
                            Spreading the Disease - Anthrax

Best ever Anthrax album ever ever ever...

I always thought everyone had this album, but it
                            seems these days its a rarity.. Worth mentioning...
                            I would agree, def my favourite Anthrax album (followed closely by Sound of the White Noise)
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                              The first U.K. album is absolutely epic.

The lineup:

John Wetton (Asia, Roxy Music, King Crimson) - Vocals, Bass

Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson, Brand X) - Drums, Percussion

Allan Holdsworth - Guitar

Eddie Jobson (Roxy Music, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa) - Keyboards

I guess this one falls within the artsy/fartsy/fusion-type rock of the seventies? Nonetheless, this thing rocks and what little Holdsworth's on it, it's awesome and not like every single album he makes (excluding "Road Games") that sounds the same, IMO.

If I also remember correctly, I'm pretty sure U.K. opened for VH during their first headlining tour? I cannot remember but I'm almost positive that I've read that they did.

U.K. had other albums minus Holdsworth and Bruford which blew but this one's a classic.

If one's a musician, it's worth checking out cos it has a lot of brilliant work. Especially the songs "Thirty Years" and "In The Dead Of Night."
                              In The Dead of Night is one of the all time great prog pieces.

My dad is a massive fan of Bruford's, so I first heard U.K. when I was about...I'm gonna say somewhere between the ages of 6 and 8.

I actually remember saying I thought it was Yes when I first heard it playing in the car.

Why does Bruford always abandon things so quickly?

Good as they are...I wouldn't put them on the same bill as VH...
                              Last edited by Shaun Ponsonby; 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM.
                              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                                I would recommend ANYTHING by Kyuss: "Blues for the Red Sun" is easily their best album, but they are all spectacular and totally unique. They should have been huge.

I thought that the Supersuckers had been making records just for me all of these years, LOL! "Evil Power..." is a great good time rock n roll album, with consitently strong songs and great lyrics. "Stuff and nonesense" is a great love song. Cool Manchu baby!

Clutch! Immense band, kinda stoner rock does boogie. Neil Fallon is a one-off. I would recommend this to everyone, one of the best heavy bands of our time. "Pure Rock Fury" and "Robot Hive" are also great records. Great to find someone else who digs 'em!

You sir, have good taste, and know good music!!!!

Another amazing album and perhaps my favorite from this band, from one of the greatest bands.

King's X - Ear Candy

Comment

Working...