• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Ticket Auctioning

From blabbermouth

Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

Is VAN HALEN Auctioning Off Hundreds of Tickets? - Dec. 4, 2007

Alfred Branch, Jr. of TicketNews reports: Following the lead of BEYONCE and LYNYRD SKYNYRD/HANK WILLIAMS, JR., it appears that VAN HALEN are auctioning off dozens of tickets for their upcoming 2008 shows, based on a review of Ticketmaster's TicketExchange website. The band's current tour, featuring the return of David Lee Roth on vocals with Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen, has been one of the top-selling tours all year, according to TicketNews' weekly ranking of leading concerts.

For a March 17, 2008 show at Madison Square Garden, for example, tickets were being offered on the TicketExchange for as high as $2,885 a piece for some premium seats. Tickets went on sale for the show at 10am [on Monday, December 3], but these seats, and dozens of others, were up on the TicketExchange in less than 10 minutes after the general onsale, which would appear to be impossible unless the tickets were withheld from the public and posted separately. Traditionally, bands, promoters and venues play around with tickets for shows, making them available in waves or withholding them outright for complimentary or other purposes.

"It's impossible for those tickets to be from anyone but the artist and promoter," said one ticket broker who observed the onsale. "They were up on the exchange within minutes."

Read more at www.ticketnews.com.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Sorry if this is a dupe, but I couldn't see it in Main.

What do you guys think about this? Is it REALLY a ploy to make more money from the band/management?

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

I think it sucks!

Comment

• vh rides again
        Commando
        • Dec 2006

daves been slummin it for 20 years, let him live a little and bid on the tickets.

Comment

• naturochem
          Head Fluffer
          • May 2004

Originally posted by vh rides again
          daves been slummin it for 20 years, let him live a little and bid on the tickets.
          Like $180 isn't enough of an ass-raping??

Be fuckin serious, this tour has funded Dave's potential paternity suits into the next fucking millenium, my contribution(s) included...
          CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• vh rides again
            Commando
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by naturochem
            Like $180 isn't enough of an ass-raping??

Be fuckin serious, this tour has funded Dave's potential paternity suits into the next fucking millenium, my contribution(s) included...
            dave might have gottten 5-10 dollars of that at the most. this tour wont even get him thru the next decade, hes heading into his golden years. he needs all the support his fans can give.

180 dollars? hell thats not even one nights drinking money.

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
              Head Fluffer
              • Aug 2007

supply and demand....they wouldn't do it if they can't get it!

Comment

• VAiN
                Use my hand, I won't look
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

That's just so dirty... now they're getting in the ticket broker business... great! It's disappointing.
                Originally posted by wiseguy
                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
                  supply and demand....they wouldn't do it if they can't get it!
                  Not very fair on the fans though, if the report has any truth to it that is...

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by binnie
                    Not very fair on the fans though, if the report has any truth to it that is...
                    Well after being to 3 shows and getting reasonably good seats at face value for all of them I believe I paid what I could afford. However, if there are fans that can afford $2,000 or more for a ticket and want to pay it why should Van Halen not get it? To use another analogy, if parents of kids that want to see Hanna Montana or Beyance are willing to pay that much why can't they charge it? Hell Yankees fans pay tons of money every year to see A ROD and now they are probably going to have to pay it again. If the public demands it then they should charge what the market will bear.

Comment

• VAiN
                      Use my hand, I won't look
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

If the public demands it then they should charge what the market will bear.
                      Well, it limits what section of the public you're targeting. Most VH fans that I know, including myself, will not pay $1000 for a show. The ones who can afford if have the VIP seats - why price everyone else out? Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
                      Originally posted by wiseguy
                      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• mewisemagic
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

To see the Dallas show sell out in less than 2 hours and then find a multitude of great seats at Stub hub for at least double the face value (in no less than 6 hours later) did it for me....

Thank god i have the DVD and a shirt from one of the northern shows..(the one with the chick on it)

After 29 years of being a die hard fan and waiting for this reunion,

they can stick it up their asses.

Corporate greed in America runs rampant as usual,and it fuckin' sucks!

and remember thats coming from a guy that saw them in 1981 for $8.50.

Can I afford the lower price tickets from Stubhub?.....Sure

but to buy them would mean supporting those scalping bastards,Ticketmaster can shove it up their asses too( if they were to release more seats just before the show)which seems to be the trend.

Comment

• naturochem
                          Head Fluffer
                          • May 2004

dave might have gottten 5-10 dollars of that at the most. this tour wont even get him thru the next decade,
                          Using your figures, and the 64 dates thus far, that calculates into 10 to 12 million gross income for Dave, in ticket revinue alone.

Chump change, I'm sure, for you Donald Trump-type's who piss away $100's a day in drinking change alone...

hes heading into his golden years. he needs all the support his fans can give.

180 dollars? hell thats not even one nights drinking money.
                          Personally, I'm buying multiple tickets (4 for Oakland..) to several venue's, so I'm feeling pretty fuckin good about my contribution towards Dave's future well-being...

But being as you are so concerned & gung-ho, with the big dollars to piss away, why don't you send a large donation to Dave's retirement fund..?

Send your contribution(s) to:

David Lee Roth retirement fund
                          C/O: High Profile Media
                          12930 Ventura Blvd. #641
                          Studio City, CA 91604
                          CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Well after being to 3 shows and getting reasonably good seats at face value for all of them I believe I paid what I could afford. However, if there are fans that can afford $2,000 or more for a ticket and want to pay it why should Van Halen not get it? To use another analogy, if parents of kids that want to see Hanna Montana or Beyance are willing to pay that much why can't they charge it? Hell Yankees fans pay tons of money every year to see A ROD and now they are probably going to have to pay it again. If the public demands it then they should charge what the market will bear.
                            I can see your logic here, but I don't agree with it morally. Just because other artists or forms of entertainment does it that makes it fine? Those guys re ripping off theri fans too. Selling tickets at face value would have made them all a healthy profit without pissing all over the fans (I stress though, that is if this story has any truth to it..)

I would flip the question round: why would anyone, not just VH, want to rip-off the people who support them, regardless of whether or not those people can afford to pay?

I suppose that we'll have to agree to disagree. I do see the logic of your argument though

Comment

• slimdon
                              Roadie
                              • Feb 2004

If people are willing to pay, then why not? It is a business afterall....

Ticket brokers jack up the prices and as far as I know the artists don't see any of that cake. I paid a broker out of New Jersey $1000 for two tickets to see the Detroit show and I'm still paying the credit card off for that, but I'm happy as a pig in sh*t that I got to see the show!

Tomorrow I will sit in a regular priced $175 seat and see them again in Vancouver. I sure the f**k ain't rich, but I do feel lucky that I got to see VH once, and more blessed that a second opportunity is on my doorstep. I definitely don't feel ripped off though, but I guess that's what waiting 30 years to see my favourite band can do.

Going to the arena the day of the show can help too, cuz alot of the time extra tickets are sold. Not necesarily the best seats, but at least you get in. I got myself a ticket for the first Police show of the tour, an hour before the concert, two rows in front of the soundboard! (and that show was sold out) Just this past Saturday I got a pair of tickets to see Tool (beside the stage up very high), five hours before the doors opened, and that show sold out twelve minutes after the tickets went onsale two months ago!

Just my thoughts,
                              Rev. Donnie Black

Comment

Working...