Heading with Gift Certificate in search of Brown Sound...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fizz
    Full On Cocktard
    • Feb 2004

Heading with Gift Certificate in search of Brown Sound...

Yes, I'm a twenty year hack. I have scratched and clawed my way to trying to capture the sound. Now, I got paper and will travel. I don't need guitar suggestions per say, just effects (bundled or not), amps and whatever else you can toss in. Mucho appreciato.
  • Don Corleone
    Veteran
    • May 2004

First off - How much have you got to spend???
    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Fizz
      Full On Cocktard
      • Feb 2004

Around a grand. I've got a couple of guitars, the main one being an Ibanez. I use a very old, somewhat reliable Acoustic brand tube amp. I currently use an ancient DOD effects box and a Korg Toneworks. There is a setting on the DOD that is solid not spectacular.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Maybe give this a try.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Fizz
          Full On Cocktard
          • Feb 2004

Yeah, my basic plan was that and the phaser. I simply don't know if that will do it -- capture, as best possible the whole dynamic.

Comment

• Fizz
            Full On Cocktard
            • Feb 2004

Another point -- does anyone use a particular guitar processor with multiple effects that has pre-sets that go towards the sound.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I just got a Tech 21 Sans amp PSA 1.1 and I'm amazed at the great VH tones I can get out of it. Frankly, this unit with a good power amp (I'm using a Carvin DCM 1000) and cab (Peavey 5150 is what I'm using), you are pretty damn close. The Sans Amp has tube and cabinet emulation and sounds like shit through a tube amp so you want a good quality at least 100 watt RMS solid state power amp.

I got the thing to use with my bass but I'm floored by it's performance as a guitar amp.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

The Sans Amp is analog and not digital like Line 6. This mean your input signal isn't being cut up into bianary code and reassembled. At stage volumes you can hear digital modeling but analog is wave forms and keeps your original signal intact. The MIDI controls are digital but the sound shaping is not. It also has a headphone jack and a buffered line out. What I like is you can play with headphones or through a small amp and speaker or play through a huge wall of speakers with thousands of watts behind them. The thing wieghs five fucking pounds and can be mounted in a rack. No wall warts either because it uses a regular cord.

Comment

• indeedido
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

If you like your guitar, I would start with a foundation. A good tube amp with EL34 tubes. Several would do. A Carvin Legacy, Peavey JSX, Many Marshall models. Then move on to effects. Although you definately want a MXR phaser like the EVH phaser or even the orange one.
                  This space for rent.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I have found low wattage amps with EL84 tubes get the VH vibe quite nicely. With the right peddles and delay, you can even get an Epiphone Valve Jr. to sound like Women and Children First. The Weber Atenuator is used to reduce the volume and a Marshall delay and a Fulltone peddle are used to shape the sound before getting a boost from 8 flaming watss of tube distortion. The brown sound for under $350.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Comment

• BlimpyCHIMP™
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        The Sans Amp is analog and not digital like Line 6. This mean your input signal isn't being cut up into bianary code and reassembled.
                        BLAH BLAH BLAH

BC!!
                        JUST BUY AN OUNCE OF METH AND PLAY FOR TWO WEEKS YOULL GO FURTHOR

Comment

• letsrock
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2007

Digitech RP90 Multi effects has it.
                          but then again i run thru a Line 6 head to add to the sound.

Or the quickest way is any of the 5150 Amps.

Comment

• jojo2371
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Nov 2004

You can try a pedal made by a company called toadworks,it's called the "mr.ed" pedal sells for about 130 bucks ,it will put you in the ballpark of the brown sound ,which is what it's sole purpose is .

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Mr. Ed. LOL! Does it do horsie sounds too?

Comment

Working...