Heading with Gift Certificate in search of Brown Sound...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fizz
    Full On Cocktard
    • Feb 2004

Hey, he ain't kiddin. There is a Toadworks and a Mr. Ed. I just went to their site and listened to mp3's of it. One of the files (or settings) was pretty damn close. My list keeps growing here. Thanks to anyone who threw their two cents in. I'm paralyzed with indecisiveness.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I'll have to check the toad thing out. I'm amazed at how good the Sansamp VH setting is. It's just a great all around preamp for guitar, bass, vocals and other instruments. I hear Mutt Lang likes to use one in the studio when he records.

Everyone thinks you just get a tube amp and a Phase 90 but you have to get the RIGHT tube distortion. Some of the little EL-84 powered amps get the vibe. But the real brownsound is a old Marshall plexi being pushed into saturated clipping with maybe some phasing on the front end and some delay being added. I'm just using a BOSS delay with my sansamp and running it through a good clean power amp to a 4x12 and I've gotten closer to that old VH sound than fucking around with a lot of tube amps.

All Eddie was doing with his live sound was pushing a Marshall hard and running the output into a Palmer speaker simulator and running the line out to a clean solid state power amp that ran his speakers. What the PA got was the direct out from the Palmer simulator with no speakers.

All that power amp was doing was creating a sound to be filtered, reduced and then reamplified cleanly.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...