X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CVH Rulz
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2005

Ed considering new tunes with Dave

Eddie Van Halen has a few milestones coming up this year. First, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer will wed his fiancee, Janie Liszweski, in June. Then, he'll attend the high school graduation of his son -- and bass player -- Wolfgang. But after that, Eddie hopes to release new music with the current incarnation of the legendary band that bears his name. And, as he tells Spinner, yes, that includes David Lee Roth.

"Dave, Wolfie, Alex and I are a band," he tells Spinner in an upcoming Spinner Interview. "I hope that after Janie and I get married, and Wolfie graduates, that we sit down and discuss recording new music, which I have tons of. If Dave's up for singing ... then do another tour, and just see where it takes us. Actually, next week or the week after Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we'll give Dave a call and see what he's up to. He's off, always doing his own thing, and he checks in every now and then to see how we're doing."

Meanwhile, Eddie Van Halen just released his signature Gibson guitar series, titled, appriopriately, Wolfgang -- a line he personally oversaw for more than two years.

• 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

What's the deal, no drama !! Wait it's only Feb. Wouldn't it be funny if Dave said no thank's Ed. I wouldn't be shocked.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

"Signature Gibson guitar series"? Oh, boy...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

He's calling the Gibson guitars "Wolfgang" too? Won't Peavey's lawyers have a problem with that?
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

'Maybe' he'll give Dave a call.

Sounds to me like the Halens will be doing something, but Dave might not be involved down the line......
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by binnie
            'Maybe' he'll give Dave a call.

Sounds to me like the Halens will be doing something, but Dave might not be involved down the line......
            That's not how I read it.

Its pretty much how things always were, even back in the original CVH days.

After a tour, everyone went their separate ways. And Dave was known to go out on those exotic trips to the amazon or wherever he went.

Then come back and start writing and recording a new album.

Eddie did say "Dave, Wolife, Al and I" are a band. Also, if Dave is out of town (as in out of the country) by the time Eddie calls, well, then they'll just jam without him.

No big deal.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

I hope you're right VV.

Fingers crossed.
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                Commando
                • Apr 2006

That is great news. If it is true then it falls in line with what Ed was saying during the press conference to announce the reunion. He said they were a band. Obviously Van Halen is long overdue for a new album, so hopefully we get some new tunes before it's all said and done.

Comment

• Starwood
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2004

New tunes? God help us...

Psycho Circus v.2 here we go.
                  Helping RothTards speak in the 3rd person since 2004!

Comment

• vanhalendlrband
                    Groupie
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Starwood
                    New tunes? God help us...

Psycho Circus v.2 here we go.
                    I highly doubt it. KISS doesn't have hardly the talent that Van Halen does, doesn't follow trends (I was made for lovin you), and they make their own trends.

I've said for a long time, a new album with Dave would change Rock again. Look at the 2 tracks in 96, some people hate them (mainly cuz they broke up again and bad memories) but really they rock and they weren't even hardly working together on those, Dave just sung over them. And what they were both #1 Mainsream Rock Tracks, at least 1 was. Helped VH Sell 2 million copies in the US in a week, and was the talk of everybody. I know because thats how I really began to know Van Halen and the whole Dave vs Sammy debate.
                    When you think of Van Halen you think of David Lee Roth.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by vanhalendlrband
                      I highly doubt it. KISS doesn't have hardly the talent that Van Halen does, doesn't follow trends (I was made for lovin you), and they make their own trends.

I've said for a long time, a new album with Dave would change Rock again. Look at the 2 tracks in 96, some people hate them (mainly cuz they broke up again and bad memories) but really they rock and they weren't even hardly working together on those, Dave just sung over them. And what they were both #1 Mainsream Rock Tracks, at least 1 was. Helped VH Sell 2 million copies in the US in a week, and was the talk of everybody. I know because thats how I really began to know Van Halen and the whole Dave vs Sammy debate.
                      1996 is a good point, however, as good or great as those two songs were, they were done when the band was a fractured mess. Though at the time, it was clear Eddie still could play at a fercious level and Mike was still, well, in the band.

But Dave was a hired gun for those two songs. Most of the lyrics on MWM aren't even Dave's. It was a combination of shit from Desmond Child, Glenn Ballard and Eddie's own drunken stamp on it.
                      And then you have Dave's vocal styling on the song itself. It was as if Eddie wanted Dave to approach and the sing the song like Sammy would. Nope, not gonna work. And the result wasn't very "Dave", IMO. Add to the fact that Dave's vocal chops, admitedly, wasn't in the best of shape at the time.

CGTSNM was a considerable improvement from Dave. This song was more "CVH" than MWM as it was clear Dave's lyrics and interpretations were used. Again, however, it was not one of Roth's finest vocal performances on record.

Fast forward to 2009.

A lot has happened and Eddie has had his share of issues as we know.

If anything, the tour with Dave proved that the Halens could work with Roth again and survive a tour. Even Dave's voice, IMO, is in much better shape than it was in '96.

I just hope Wolfie was able to help his Dad recapture the raw spirit of CVH in his playing because it can only mean NEW songs in a similar mindset. Add Dave to the mix and allow him to write what he wants and you have the potential for something great --- even better than 1996.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

I don't know if I'm the minority on this, but I've always felt MWM and CGSTNM were both highly overrated...

It really reminds me of Eddie Murphy, when he said in Raw;

"If you're starving and somebody throw you a cracker, you gonna be like this:
                        Goddamn, that's the best cracker I ever ate in my life! That ain't no regular cracker, was it? What was that, a Saltine?
                        Goddamn, that was delicious. That wasn't no Saltine. That was...That was a Ritz. That wasn't a Ritz?
                        God, that was the best cracker I ever ate in my life. Can I have another one, please?
                        Please, one more."

MWM and CGSTNM were Van Halen fans' crackers....

We were so starving for Van Halen crackers that we'd think ANYTHING coming from them would be Ritz, when in my view, we got generic brand crackers....

I agree with VV, it was so painfully obvious that they rushed through the songs, in fact MWM is in a terrible key for Dave, he either had to get way low or strain to sing the song...

But fast forward to today, I tend to believe Ed's timeframe, although I've never understood why they simply can't do two things at a time...

It's not like he's got a fucking job or something....
                        Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM.
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by CVH Rulz
                          "Dave, Wolfie, Alex and I are a band," he tells Spinner in an upcoming Spinner Interview. "I hope that after Janie and I get married, and Wolfie graduates, that we sit down and discuss recording new music...
                          You have 4 months solid. Sit down now to discuss & have a game plan. Then get married, enjoy Wolf's graduation, honeymoon a bit, then get Dave's ass in your studio.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                            "If you're starving and somebody throw you a cracker, you gonna be like this:
                            Goddamn, that's the best cracker I ever ate in my life! That ain't no regular cracker, was it? What was that, a Saltine?
                            Goddamn, that was delicious. That wasn't no Saltine. That was...That was a Ritz. That wasn't a Ritz?
                            God, that was the best cracker I ever ate in my life. Can I have another one, please?
                            Please, one more."
                            HEY, this is just a regular ole cracker.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                              What's the deal, no drama !! Wait it's only Feb.
                              That's the Big Blue Fuzzy Addiction Genie, giving the fans a nice reacharound in-between recording times.

(1984-2010=26 years of in-between times.)

FUCK this "when I feel like it" how about just release the rest of the Fair Warning movie! THERES 1 of your 10 "albums, in the can" bullshit.

How about releasing US Fest, HA! There's 2 of your "10 albums in the can" bullshit, probably good for a double-DVD with all that rediculous back-curtain antics we've seen peeks of on Youtube. So there's 3 down, 7 to go.

IF the Traders here think for like, 10 seconds, they could probably fill in the remaining.. oh hey, how about the original "Voodoo Queen" demo? There's FOUR down, off the top of my ADD-infested brain. Probably not a big seller but should do better than VH3 I can tell you that much! That's a must-have recording for a real VH fan, I'm sure it would do 100K in about 2 or 3 years even in a Van Hagar touring year.

$26.95 x 80,000 pcs in the first 2 months alone unadvertised, 40K each flying off the racks at Best Buy alone!

WTF is this guy STUPID? He's an idiot, isn't he? I want to buy what I've already seen snips of on the nerdernet, before I get so old I find the more-than-stupid shit like Seals and Crofts suddenly interesting.

FAAAAAK~!!
                              Last edited by GAR; 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...