Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Billionaire Investor Warren Buffett on the US Tax Code

June 28, 2007
    Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary

Tom Bawden in New York

Warren Buffett, the third-richest man in the world, has criticised the US tax system for allowing him to pay a lower rate than his secretary and his cleaner.

Speaking at a $4,600-a-seat fundraiser in New York for Senator Hillary Clinton, Mr Buffett, who is worth an estimated $52 billion (£26 billion), said: “The 400 of us [here] pay a lower part of our income in taxes than our receptionists do, or our cleaning ladies, for that matter. If you’re in the luckiest 1 per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”

Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent. Mr Buffett told his audience, which included John Mack, the chairman of Morgan Stanley, and Alan Patricof, the founder of the US branch of Apax Partners, that US government policy had accentuated a disparity of wealth that hurt the economy by stifling opportunity and motivation.

The comments are among the most signficant yet in a debate raging on both sides of the Atlantic about growing income inequality and how the super-wealthy are taxed.

They echo those made this month by Nicholas Ferguson, one of the leading figures in Britain’s private equity industry, when he criticised tax rates that left its multimillionaire venture capitalists “paying less tax than a cleaning lady”.

Last week senior members of the US Senate proposed to increase the rate of tax that private equity and hedge fund staff pay on their share of the profits, known as carried interest, from the 15 per cent capital gains rate to about 35 per cent.

Lloyd Blankfein, the chief executive of Goldman Sachs, acknowledged in an interview yesterday that there were justified concerns about the huge profits generated by private equity firms and that he worried that income inequality was “poisoning democracy”. He also said that he would be voting for the Democrat candidate at the next election. Mr Blankfein is the highest-paid executive on Wall Street, earning $54 million last year.

Mr Buffett, who runs the investment group Berkshire Hathaway and is widely regarded as the world’s most successful investor, said that he was a Democrat because Republicans are more likely to think: “I’m making $80 million a year – God must have intended me to have a lower tax rate.”

Mr Buffett said that a Republican proposal to eliminate elements of inheritance tax, which raises about $30 billion a year from the assets of about 12,000 rich families, would broaden the disparity between rich and poor. He added that the Republicans would seek to recover lost revenue by increasing taxes for the less prosperous.

He said: “You could take that $30 billion and give $1,000 to 30 million poor families. Or should you favour the 12,000 estates and make 30 million families pay an extra $1,000?”

TheTimes
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I think Warren Buffet should be the Commerce Secretary. He knows business AND he admits that he doesn't pay enough taxes. Seems like a shoe-in for confirmation.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      I think Warren Buffet should be the Commerce Secretary. He knows business AND he admits that he doesn't pay enough taxes. Seems like a shoe-in for confirmation.

Liberal thinking is scary.

He does pay enough. The problem is that others pay too much. Rather than raise wealthy peoples taxes to be commensurate with everyone else, why not lower the rate on everyone else to an equitable level?
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The problem is that most of the people in Buffet's tax bracket dodge their taxes and pay little or nothing at all. If you think your taxes are too high, that's probably why.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I think Buffett is going through some end-of-life morality thing. Ford, please don't paint him as some sort of "good guy" billionaire. He has done his fair share of moves you'd find objectionable.

While on the one hand his argument makes some sense, perhaps their should be some loopholes closed, the other hand says that those 400 people generate untold billions of taxable activity, of which we all benefit. They provide jobs and the tax base for many communities. Their corporations pay tax, their employees pay taxes and the cash flow in those communities creates all kinds of taxable events on goods and services.

If we are talking the greater good, how much is enough?

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

I think he should be shot and hung for bamboozling the States to individually criminalize uninsured drivers who can't afford insurance.

He's a monopolistic fiscal terrorist and a brilliant con artist, you're fuckin' high dude quit smokin that weird swamp weed you guys grow up there.. don't make me wreck your wonderful praise by posting examples.

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
              Ask Stalin!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I never said the guy was a saint. I don't believe anyone is perfect, aside from Jesus Christ. But I'd take Warren Buffett over an oil or "defense" industry CEO any time.

And you're right about closing the loopholes. While Buffett is correct that he is actually taxed at a lower rate than his secretary, it's the loopholes that allow most of his fellow billionaires to avoid paying even that.

It's simply ridiculous and grossly unfair that the rapidly shrinking middle class is carrying the tax burden of the entire country, because the top 1% isn't paying their fair share.

And when there is no more middle class, then who the Hell is going to pay the taxes?

You seem to be implying that corporations should get tax breaks for providing jobs. President Obama agrees with you, provided those jobs exist here in the USA, and not outsourced cheap labor.

Oh, and GAR..... shut the fuck up. Nobody asked your racist ass for your hateful opinion.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Redballjets88
                  Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

I never said the guy was a saint. I don't believe anyone is perfect, aside from Jesus Christ. But I'd take Warren Buffett over an oil or "defense" industry CEO any time.

And you're right about closing the loopholes. While Buffett is correct that he is actually taxed at a lower rate than his secretary, it's the loopholes that allow most of his fellow billionaires to avoid paying even that.

It's simply ridiculous and grossly unfair that the rapidly shrinking middle class is carrying the tax burden of the entire country, because the top 1% isn't paying their fair share.

And when there is no more middle class, then who the Hell is going to pay the taxes?

You seem to be implying that corporations should get tax breaks for providing jobs. President Obama agrees with you, provided those jobs exist here in the USA, and not outsourced cheap labor.

Oh, and GAR..... shut the fuck up. Nobody asked your racist ass for your hateful opinion.
                  What it all should come down to, and what we as the citizens should complain about is how the government is spending our taxes.

We are the most wasteful country on earth, the most overstretched country, the most charitable country, and the most armed country. If we would just tone back our massive amounts of spending, on bullshit, everyone would get a tax break, and this stimulus wouldn't be needed.

And FORD I have changed my stance on troops stationed over-seas, I'm with you now, we don't need troops in 130 countries, we need them in 1, and that is here.
                  R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                    Ask Stalin!
                    I tried. But he's dead and smells really bad.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      Liberal thinking is scary.

He does pay enough. The problem is that others pay too much. Rather than raise wealthy peoples taxes to be commensurate with everyone else, why not lower the rate on everyone else to an equitable level?

Buffet's "liberal thinking" made him a billionaire $everal times over, Potsy...

Comment

• Redballjets88
                        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        I tried. But he's dead and smells really bad.
                        ask Lenin's brain then, it's still hangin around
                        R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                          I think Buffett is going through some end-of-life morality thing. Ford, please don't paint him as some sort of "good guy" billionaire. He has done his fair share of moves you'd find objectionable.
                          He's had a track record of seeing things with both an empathetic world view for the working poor, but also out of self-interest with a farsighted John Steinbeck-esque "Grapes of Wrath" ideal that a stable, prospering middle class makes for a stable, better country --even for the rich...

While on the one hand his argument makes some sense, perhaps their should be some loopholes closed, the other hand says that those 400 people generate untold billions of taxable activity, of which we all benefit. They provide jobs and the tax base for many communities. Their corporations pay tax, their employees pay taxes and the cash flow in those communities creates all kinds of taxable events on goods and services.

I don't disagree with this...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Redballjets88
                            ask Lenin's brain then, it's still hangin around
                            It's a wax dummy, you sap!

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

On the other hand, JFK's brain (or what's left of it) is probably still hidden in Dallas somewhere.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...