• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Is Obama the Antichrist?

<LI class=first>

On Nov. 5, Todd Strandberg was at his desk, fielding E-mails from around the world. As the editor and founder of RaptureReady.com, his job is to track current events and link them to biblical prophecy in hopes of maintaining his status as "the eBay of prophecy," the best source online for predictions and calculations concerning the end of the world. Already Barack Obama had drawn the attention of apocalypse watchers after an anonymous e-mail circulated among conservative Christians in October implying that he was the Antichrist. Former "Saturday Night Live" ingénue Victoria Jackson fueled the fire when, according to news reports, she wrote on her Web site that Obama "bears traits that resemble the anti-Christ." Now Strandberg was receiving up-to-the-minute news from his constituents in Illinois. One of the winning lottery numbers in the president-elect's home state was 666— which, as everyone knows, is the sign of the Beast (also known as the Antichrist). "It is very eerie, and I take it for a sign as to who he really is," wrote one of Strandberg's correspondents.

Ever since Jesus Christ was crucified and, according to the Gospels, rose again in glory, his followers have been anticipating the end of history—the time when their Lord will return to earth and reign for a thousand years. The question has always been when. Most Christians don't worry about the end too much; it's an abstract concept, a theological puzzle for late-night pondering. A few, however, have always believed that it is coming—and soon. Millennialist movements, as they're called, gain prominence especially when the world grows chaotic, during wars and at the turn of every century. According to a 2006 study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, a third of white evangelicals believe the world will end in their lifetimes. These mostly conservative Christians believe a great battle is imminent. After years of tribulation—natural disasters, other cataclysms (such as the collapse of financial markets)—God's armies will vanquish armies led by the Antichrist himself. He will be a sweet-talking world leader who gathers governments and economies under his command to further his own evil agenda. In this world view, "the spread of secular progressive ideas is a prelude to the enslavement of mankind," explains Richard Landes, former director of the Center for Millennial Studies at Boston University.

No wonder, then, that Obama triggers such fear in the hearts of America's millennialist Christians. Mat Staver, dean of Liberty University's law school, says he does not believe Obama is the Antichrist, but he can see how others might. Obama's own use of religious rhetoric belies his liberal positions on abortion and traditional marriage, Staver says, positions that "religious conservatives believe will threaten their freedom." The people who believe Obama is the Antichrist are perhaps jumping to conclusions, but they're not nuts: "They are expressing a concern and a fear that is widely shared," Staver says.

Before Christ comes again, those who are saved will ascend to heaven, according to this end-times theology, in a huge, upward whoosh called the Rapture. Strandberg is so certain that the Rapture is coming, he's bought a number of Internet addresses in addition to RaptureReady: AntiAntichrist, Tribulationus and RaptureMe. In the event that RaptureReady crashes during the apocalypse, anyone who needs an update will, with a simple Google search, be able to get one. Strandberg says Obama probably isn't the Antichrist, but he's watching the president-elect carefully. On his Web site, he has something called the Rapture Index, a calculation based on signs and prophecy of the proximity of the end. According to Strandberg, any number over 160 means "fasten your seat belts." Obama's win pushed the index to 161.
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Belief Watch: Is Obama the Antichrist? | Newsweek BeliefWatch: Lisa Miller | Newsweek.com
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• DLR'sCock
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

seriously, these people are nuts...

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Wait, how can he be the Messiah & the Anti Christ at the same time? I've even seen his halo.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Barry Manilow is the Antichrist.
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The whole thing is a pathetic attempt to hide racism with superstition.

Also if we are currently pre tribulation is this what post triblation looks like?

Comment

• WACF
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Also if we are currently pre tribulation is this what post triblation looks like?

Racism?

These people are just fucked up....I don't think it is a race thing.

People thought Bush was the anti-christ too....and he was a cracker...

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

"Now Strandberg was receiving up-to-the-minute news from his constituents in Illinois."

I didn't even know that there was so many tin-foil hat wearers in Illinois.

Comment

• Combat Ready
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2007

Same bullshit being said about Reagan when I was a kid. You know--Ronald Wilson Reagan...6 letters in each name. Blah...Blah....Blah.

I'm leaning toward Barry Manilow as the Antichrist too....Just because.

Where is the poll?

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

I have to agree, Barry Manilow is my pick for the anti-christ........that would explain why the guy is popular.
                    Originally posted by vandeleur
                    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      Wait, how can he be the Messiah & the Anti Christ at the same time? I've even seen his halo.
                      I wonder if the halo can be as visible thru the sharpshooter's nightview scope as the back of the uncovered head like that.

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                        I wonder if the halo can be as visible thru the sharpshooter's nightview scope as the back of the uncovered head like that.
                        I bet a Predator could spot the halo with their special heat sensing vision.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Geez, Libs will cry racism every fucking chance they get. Did you take a gander at the Newsweek covers? The kept championing the call that "race should not be a factor in this election", but look what they wrote. All they talked about was race...the majority of the media for that matter. My feeling is if it's not supposed to be a factor, then stfu about it and let's discuss policy. The reason most talking heads that supported Obama preferred to discuss race was because if everyone was actually educated on his agenda, many wouldn't have voted for him.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

And OBAMA IS NOT THE ANTI CHRIST. The prophecy warns of the anti Christ and many horrible things that come with it....but taking everyone's money isn't one of them, so it's a safe bet Obama isn't it.

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

I'm surprised at how far flung the Obama iz a Muslim crowd is. I've come across Canuck rednecks spreading this shit. When I asked, so what, the answer is you know but apart from racism I don't know what. And they pretend it's not that.

Comment

Working...