• Show
Clear All
  • katie
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Nov 2004

‘Satriani’s Better Than Eddie VH,’ says Hagar

From Classic Rock site -
    Classic Rock » Blog Archive » ‘Satriani’s Better Than Eddie VH,’ says Hagar

Step aside Eddie Van Halen, Ronnie Montrose, Neal Schon and, er, Gary Pihl. Sammy Hagar reckons Joe Satriani is the best guitarist he’s ever worked with.

Satriani is one of Hagar’s collaborators in Chickenfoot, alongside ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.

“I’ve made this statement a million times – some people don’t like it, some people do - but Joe is the best guitarist I have ever played with,” Hagar said.

“That’s a strong statement. I realise that.

“You’ve got to give Eddie [Van Halen] a lot of love for his innovation of what he did as a stylist with the guitar. He broke a lot of ground.

“But Joe is a master. He can play anything and everything – folk, blues, jazz, hard rock, soft rock, fusion, you name it.

“As a guitar technician, Joe is the best guy I’ve ever stood in the same room with on any instrument.

“And he’s so soulful when he solos. He puts more feeling into a solo than any other player I’ve been with.”

Read the full interview with Hagar on www.rgi.com here.

What do you think? Is Joe a better guitarist that Eddie? Or is it unfair to compare the two stylistically? Post your comments – and let battle commence!
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Satriani is a wonderful technician. On that I'd readily agree with Hagar.

Far as being able to come up with original tunes that are timeless, if Satriani does have that ability, to these ears he has as yet to demonstrate it.

That's why Satriani appeals primarily (perhaps only) to guitar players, whereas EVH's music appealed to everybody.

Ed was probably one of the most innovative players ever in terms of rock guitarists. He had plenty of chops, ability, a distinctive sound and songwriting talent.

Frankly, I think Satriani will always be in EVH's shadow.

Granted, if Satriani and EVH had a duel onstage these days, Satriani would probably be able to blow Ed off the stage in terms of technical ability. As a player, Ed's a bit washed up, but that doesn't lessen what EVH has achieved - nor does it make what Satriani has done any greater than it is.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-01-2009, 09:13 PM.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Um, I stopped being interested in Satriani after the first track of "Flying in a Deep Blue Dream."

Comment

• Mr Walker
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

The issue here is not with Satriani... it's with what a bitch fuck jealous prick baby hagar is.
        God damn I wish he'd fucking die already!

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i think Vic Johnson is the person who really should be pissed...
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• indeedido
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

I can't stand Vic. That guy has no tone
            This space for rent.

Comment

• At0micPunk
              Full On Cocktard
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Terry
              Satriani is a wonderful technician. On that I'd readily agree with Hagar.

Far as being able to come up with original tunes that are timeless, if Satriani does have that ability, to these ears he has as yet to demonstrate it.

That's why Satriani appeals primarily (perhaps only) to guitar players, whereas EVH's music appealed to everybody.

Ed was probably one of the most innovative players ever in terms of rock guitarists. He had plenty of chops, ability, a distinctive sound and songwriting talent.

Frankly, I think Satriani will always be in EVH's shadow.

Granted, if Satriani and EVH had a duel onstage these days, Satriani would probably be able to blow Ed off the stage in terms of technical ability. As a player, Ed's a bit washed up, but that doesn't lessen what EVH has achieved - nor does it make what Satriani has done any greater than it is.
              Well said, I agree 100%

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

ed examined his options and went with this

Reach for the stars.

Hagar should be grateful to VH.
                what a classless fuck.
                why do people still interview him after his Zeppelin comment?

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                  ed examined his options and went with this

Reach for the stars.

Hagar should be grateful to VH.
                  what a classless fuck.
                  why do people still interview him after his Zeppelin comment?
                  Totally.

Hagar SHOULD appreciate the fact that Roth quit Van Halen, enabling Hagar to join the group and coast on all the hard work CVH put in all those years ago.

Eddie Van Halen was the best thing to ever happen to Hagar. He knows it. Regardless of how Eddie and Van Halen ended up floundering with that ass grabber Cherone, what CVH did effortlessly eclipses the efforts of Hagar and Satriani combined.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                    The issue here is not with Satriani... it's with what a bitch fuck jealous prick baby hagar is.
                    God damn I wish he'd fucking die already!

Hagar and Anthony are just smarting because, against their publicly stated beliefs and much to their chagrin, the Van Halens were finally able to put it together with Roth for a reunion, and even the fact that Anthony wasn't there didn't stop tickets selling like hotcakes (making the 2004 tour look like the abysmal cluster-fuck it was).

It's just sour grapes because Van Halen 2007-2008 was selling out arenas and Chickenfoot MIGHT be able to fill the Cabo Wabo venue if free tequila is handed out as an incentive to attend.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      didn't stop tickets selling like hotcakes
                      We should start an internet petition to change it to "selling like VH tickets". But I agree Terry, you said it perfectly earlier. Satch is a master on the guitar...as are many instructors that have dvd's and lessons on the web, etc... But they can't write a groovin' riff to save their lives, only shred and technical stuff. Sometimes 3 chords is all you need to make a killer song. Look at Kiss or Anthrax. Every song off of Spreading The Disease is extremely simple, but fucking rockin'! Highway To Hell is another example. Angus isn't a master, but his playing sticks with you.
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• degüello
                        Sniper
                        • Mar 2004

I got away from listening to Satch after The Extremist, but have since gone back and discovered everything he's done since then, and it's all fantastic. He has been consistently pumping out solid albums for the last two decades or so, and there honestly is not a weak one in the bunch. I especially like Strange Beautiful Music and Is There Love In Space?, as well as Engines of Creation.

(I've been having a blast listening to them with a good set of full-size cans and a tube headphone amp - wicked shit!)
                        Last edited by degüello; 05-02-2009, 03:41 PM.
                        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
                          Sniper
                          • Mar 2004

In general, Joe can write great riffs and melodies, but they're very idiosyncratic and instrumental-focused.

Awesome for their context/purpose, which is absorbing and enganging instrumental music, but not the same sort of pop-oriented/wide-appeal/timeless-feeling vibe as great classic VH, of course. But enjoyable for what they are.
                          "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
                            Sniper
                            • Mar 2004

Satch is amazing as an instrumental composer (shredder or not) and this is what sets him far beyond the average boring shred-fest dude.

He is a genuinely gifted instrumental writer who could be working with any set of instruments and be writing powerful music with depth and soul. In addition to this, he is a true guitar virtuoso and can serve up extreme guitar music/playing within the context of his well-crafted instrumental compositions.

It's a smaller, more niche-focused world, something totally different than say, 'Unchained' or 'Runnin' With The Devil,' and it's where he seems to operate the best. He's just not a write-riffs-for-a-singer-to-sing-over kind of player, no worse, no better, a thing unto itself.
                            Last edited by degüello; 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• degüello
                              Sniper
                              • Mar 2004

And yes, this is such an obvious passive-aggressive dig at EVH on Sam's part, it's pathetic.

He has to realize how obvious it is... he can't be that dumb... maybe he just doesn't care about coming across like a spiteful, whiny pussy.

Comment

Working...