Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Edward, in his earlier days with hagar had more feeling in his Van hagar solos than Satriani ever had in my opinion, but that's personal preference. Satriani just never impressed me, but he may be pretty good in a band situation, and hagar's best material has been non-Van hagar...

Chickenfoot might turn out to be ok, who knows ??

They should replace hagar with Roth...

Just kidding...

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      Um, I stopped being interested in Satriani after the first track of "Flying in a Deep Blue Dream."
      I'm not a fan of Satriani myself but Hagar The Horrible will do with him the same shit he pulled with Eddie: take away his talent(s) to serve his own ego. Just wait and see how commercial Chickenshit will sound and how watered-down Satriani's style will become; overnight Hagar The Horrible will have Chickenshit turn into the real-life drama parody of Van Hager metamorphosing into Spinal Tap.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

And oh yeah, FUCK the "Red Crocker" I want to cut his balls off a la Hostel 2 style and feed them his moronic fan base.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
          I'm not a fan of Satriani myself but Hagar The Horrible will do with him the same shit he pulled with Eddie: take away his talent(s) to serve his own ego. Just wait and see how commercial Chickenshit will sound and how watered-down Satriani's style will become; overnight Hagar The Horrible will have Chickenshit turn into the real-life drama parody of Van Hager metamorphosing into Spinal Tap.
          I dunno about that...

Check out the two Chickenfoot songs I just posted in the other thread about them...

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
            Edward, in his earlier days with hagar had more feeling in his Van hagar solos than Satriani ever had in my opinion...

Push Comes To Shove has an outstanding solo.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Yeah, but thats not Van hagar...

But i agree, but every CVH song has a great solo...

Comment

• Douglas T.
                Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by terry
                what cvh did effortlessly eclipses the efforts of hagar and satriani combined.
                amen!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Here's another article...

Originally posted by Sammy Hagar

“I’ve made this statement a million times because I'm an asshole and come off as a complete idiot in interviews and try to pretend that I am somehow relevant to rock and roll for any reason other than being a leech that sucked the creative life-force out of once great bands – some people don’t like it, some people do - and they usually post over at the VH Links. But Joe is the best guitarist I have ever had the pleasure to try to ruin,” Hagar said. "I'm also greater than Led Zeppelin, the Who, and the Rolling Stones put together aside from selling more albums than all of those guys combined.

“That’s a strong statement. I realise that. I say this because I take it as a personal challenge to make him suck ballsack, just like I have managed to do with great guitarists before.

“You’ve got to give Eddie [Van Halen] a lot of love for his innovation of what he did as a stylist with the guitar. He broke a lot of ground. But when I signed on and began singing for him like a screeching howler monkey being ass-raped with a red hot cauterizing iron, I really broke some ground in my mission to make rock music perennially uncool, bland, cheesy, and to get revenge on all the jocks that beat me up in high school.

“But Joe is a master. He can play anything and everything – folk, blues, jazz, hard rock, soft rock, fusion, you name it. That's why this will really be a challenge for me to bland down his playing, and relegate it to second fiddle to my shitty lyrics and masturbatory screeching that adds nothing to a song.

“As a guitar technician, Joe is the best guy I’ve ever stood in the same room with on any instrument. But I'm pretty sure I can make him suck! I know I can do it.

“And he’s so soulful when he solos. He puts more feeling into a solo than any other player I’ve been with. But if I can just write lyrics like I was a lovestruck 12-year old girl writing on one of her folders in study hall, I'm pretty sure I can minimize the impact of Joe's playing so no one cares any longer, and demoralize him so much that he'll never want to play anything for decades on end, just like I was able to do with Ed.

Read the full interview with Hagar on www.rgi.com here.

What do you think? Can Sammy make Joe a boring, drunken suck like he did Eddie? Or is it unfair to think Sam can even ruin Joe Satriani with his anti-creative cancer of bland? Post your comments – and let battle commence!
                  Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• katie
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

From Rock Radio -
                    Rock Radio :: Satriani's Deep Purple Dream

Chickenfoot guitar hero Joe Satriani has spoken about the moment he first played Smoke On The Water with Deep Purple.

Satch was a joined the rock giants briefly when Ritchie Blackmore walked out mid-tour in 1993. The virtuoso axeman came in to finish the band's Japanese tour commitments then stayed for another year before deciding not to join permanently, moving over to let Steve Morse in.

But in an interview about new project Chickenfoot, he tells Rock Radio DJ Paul Anthony that he was in a dream state when the time came to play Smoke on the Water with Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice.

Satch says: "It's difficult to put into words how crazy that was. The first time I played Smoke on the Water I drifted off.

"I heard a voice in my head saying, ‘Joe, you're going to play Smoke on the Water with Deep Purple on stage, any moment now.'

"And then it wasn't a voice in my head - it was Ian Gillan saying, ‘Joe, you can start the song any time you like.'

"It was a thrill to play with those guys. They loom very large in my life history."

Statch is currently promoting his Chickenfoot project, which also stars Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony of Van Halen fame and Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But he says he'd rather not call them a supergroup.

He tells Paul: "It feels pretty supergroup when I'm playing with them, but we want people to think of it as a real band, not as a vehicle for four individuals. ‘Supergroup' can have that negative connotation."

Talking about his collaborators he explains: "Chickenfoot is a name Sammy used for his very first band so it became a side-joke, a code-name, for anything of his that was a pet project.

"When he called me a year ago to jam with himself and Chad and Michael, he put it to me, ‘Let's just go to Vegas and have some fun'. But when we got off, it was so good we figured we had to follow it up. We said, ‘Let's turn it into something,' and he said, ‘Yeah - we can call it Chickenfoot!' and well thought he was joking... But here we are...

"For many fans the Van Halen era of Michael and Sam is the definitive one. And what Michael does here with Chad is times-one-thousand. Everyone's left to paint with the broadest strokes they want. It's been fascinating to see how big a musical personality Michael is - and he can sing like crazy."

Satch says he feel like a "kid in a candy store" with Chickenfoot, and explains he's even introduced a different guitar tuning, started playing with thicker strings and is using a new amp and pedal setup.

In the rest of the interview he talks about how the band came together, the creative process, working with his friends and trying not to be distracted, how Hagar learned to love being in a band again, working in George Lucas' Skywalker Studios, his future hopes for Chickenfoot and some of his favourite tracks on the album

Comment

• Mr Walker
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by katie

"For many fans the Van Halen era of Michael and Sam is the definitive one.
                      Damn Joe... one letter off... I think he meant to say fags not fans.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

How the fuck can any guitar player say that Van Hagar was the "definitive" anything?

I could see why keyboard players would prefer Van Hagar. And Hallmark card shop owners. And cheese makers. But guitarists??
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Matt White
                          • Jun 2004

Joe isn't EVH....but he is a DAMN fine guitar player....

If Joe would have made it big before EVH???

Who knows....EVH has one HUGE advantage over Satch....

Evh was in an influential band with DAVID LEE ROTH at the helm...of course EVH wins....

Comment

• katie
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Joe Satriani

"For many fans the Van Halen era of Michael and Sam is the definitive one. And what Michael does here with Chad is times-one-thousand. Everyone's left to paint with the broadest strokes they want. It's been fascinating to see how big a musical personality Michael is - and he can sing like crazy."

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

The only "shock" that should be registered on this one is that Hagar still hasn't learned his fucking lesson about keeping his goateed cock garage CLOSED.

Of course he's going to give a media handjob to his latest guitarist...especially one like Satriani who (like Eddie did) will make Hagar look like he has a modicum of talent.

Satriani is like a pro sports star. Generally, superstar players inevitable make their mediocre or outright shitty teammates look better.

Much the same situation here.

I know it's been said many times over in this thread, but it ain't about Eddie vs. Satriani at all. It's about Hagar's ceaseless need for media attention and his incredible insecurity about his own talent.
                              Originally posted by perilouspete
                              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You gotta love the Satch reach-around...

Gee Joe, for many people, the definitive Joe Satriani era was "Surfing with an Alien." After that, 90% stopped giving a fuck since there is only so many fucking guitar instrumentals most can stand...

"Statch is currently promoting his Chickenfoot project, which also stars Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony of Van Halen fame and Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But he says he'd rather not call them a supergroup."

You know something? I'd rather not call it a supergroup either...

Comment

Working...