X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Most Israelis could live with a nuclear Iran: poll

JERUSALEM (Reuters) – Only one in five Israeli Jews believes a nuclear-armed Iran would try to destroy Israel and most see life continuing as normal should its arch-foe get the bomb, an opinion poll published on Sunday found.

The survey, commissioned by a Tel Aviv University think-tank, appeared to challenge the argument of successive Israeli governments that Iran must be denied the means to make atomic weapons lest it threaten the existence of the Jewish state.

Asked how a nuclear-armed Iran would affect their lives, 80 percent of respondents said they expected no change. Eleven percent said they would consider emigrating and 9 percent said they would consider relocating inside Israel.

Twenty-one percent of Israelis believe Iran "would attack Israel with nuclear weapons with the objective of destroying it," the Institute for National Security Studies (INSS), which commissioned the poll, said in a statement.

The survey had 616 Jewish respondents and a margin of error of 3.5 percent, INSS research director Yehuda Ben Meir said.

Israeli Arabs who make up some 20 percent of the population -- and are generally less likely to see themselves as targets of the Jewish state's enemies -- were not included for budgetary reasons, he said.

Iran says its uranium enrichment program is for peaceful energy needs only. But its leaders' anti-Israel rhetoric and support for Islamist guerrillas in Lebanon and the Palestinian territories have stirred fears of a regional war.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was to give a major policy speech on Sunday citing Iran's reach among the reasons his government is reluctant to cede occupied land for a Palestinian state, as envisaged by U.S.-led peace mediators.

Some Israeli officials have said that the Islamic republic's ruling clerics may consider destroying Israel a goal worth the risk even of a devastating counter-strike: Israel is widely assumed to have the Middle East's only atomic arsenal.

Another scenario envisaged by the Netanyahu government is of Iran using the specter of its nuclear power to undermine Israelis' desire to stay in their homeland.

Like his predecessors, the right-wing Netanyahu has hinted Israel could attack Iran pre-emptively should Western diplomacy fail to curb its uranium enrichment.

The INSS survey found 59 percent of Israeli Jews would support such strikes, while 41 percent would not back the military option. A separate survey, commissioned by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, found 52 percent support for pre-emptive Israeli attacks on Iran, with 35 percent of respondents opposed.

(Writing by Dan Williams; Editing by Janet Lawrence)
    Most Israelis could live with a nuclear Iran: poll - Yahoo! News
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic
  • knuckleboner
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

all depends on how you look at it.

the article doesn't mention, but apparently the poll also showed that 52% of israelies were in favor of bombing iran's nuclear reactor.

Poll: Half of Israelis back bombing if needed to stop Iran nukes - CNN.com

so i think they're still kind of on a precipice over there.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Most Israelis probably could. Unfortunately most Israelis aren't running the country right now. A paranoid genocidal Likud lunatic is. And his propaganda department has already painted Ahmadinnerjacket as the "new Hitler".

Israel, like the US, somehow manages to elect leaders that are far more to the insane right of most of the population. Even more incredible in their case, they do it without the aid of electro-fraud "voting" machines.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Israel are more dangerous with nukes than Iran would be.

Comment

• Dr. Love
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Wasn't Iran saying that Israel needed to be eradicated?

That sounds a bit more dangerous when you consider the idea of nuclear weapons.
          I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Well, just researching anything that questions the Israeli rulership's numbers and data on factual information is a small step forward in diplomacy from Israel.

However, the data was skewed by

The survey had 616 Jewish respondents and a margin of error of 3.5 percent, INSS research director Yehuda Ben Meir said.

Israeli Arabs who make up some 20 percent of the population -- and are generally less likely to see themselves as targets of the Jewish state's enemies -- were not included for budgetary reasons, he said.
            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
            sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Dr. Love
              Wasn't Iran saying that Israel needed to be eradicated?

That sounds a bit more dangerous when you consider the idea of nuclear weapons.
              No, this is not what was said or what was meant.

Being raised by a mother that was an active parishioner of one of the religions that was condemned to termination in the concentration camps of WWII and with understanding and knowledge of Orthodox Judism.....

Israel that is in creation now is a man-made Israel...Religon or not....
              That is pretty factual. This Israel and the Israel dealing with Babylon are not the same. This Israel presently, is a quasi religious state claiming Judaism when convenient. Which, even to me, is annoying. What bothers me more than the Religious State or the lack there of, is the fact that this Israel is for most part a racial state. At one time noses, hair, skin, eye color and shape was all that was available for racial classification. Today, all thanks to G_d we have the genome which makes racial profiling easier. But, I am still uncomfortable with racial profiling even with the micro measurement of the genome.

Israel should not be allowed to exist under the pretext of race. Mainly, IMO, because in doing so, every classification of human beings should have a country of their own issued by the League of Nations or now the equivalent the United Nations under the pretext of race if one nation is given such.
              So that would change the fundamental state of Israel.
              Israel was created to protect Jews, or so we are told. Therefore Israel should be for those that claim Judaism as their religion.

And IMO Israel does a very poor job as a religious state.

To quote a scholar

Shiraz Dossa, a professor of Political Science at St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia, Canada who presented a paper at the International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust conference in Iran, believes the text is a mistranslation.[21]

Ahmadinejad was quoting the Ayatollah Khomeini in the specific speech under discussion: what he said was that "the occupation regime over Jerusalem should vanish from the page of time." No state action is envisaged in this lament; it denotes a spiritual wish, whereas the erroneous translation—"wipe Israel off the map"—suggests a military threat. There is a huge chasm between the correct and the incorrect translations.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Last edited by Blaze; 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Thanks Seshmeister. I didn't mean to hijack my own thread....
                sigpic

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                  Most Israelis probably could. Unfortunately most Israelis aren't running the country right now.
                  Exactly...

End of story...

Comment

• WACF
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
                    No, this is not what was said or what was meant.

Being raised by a mother that was an active parishioner of one of the religions that was condemned to termination in the concentration camps of WWII and with understanding and knowledge of Orthodox Judism.....

Israel that is in creation now is a man-made Israel...Religon or not....
                    That is pretty factual. This Israel and the Israel dealing with Babylon are not the same. This Israel presently, is a quasi religious state claiming Judaism when convenient. Which, even to me, is annoying. What bothers me more than the Religious State or the lack there of, is the fact that this Israel is for most part a racial state. At one time noses, hair, skin, eye color and shape was all that was available for racial classification. Today, all thanks to G_d we have the genome which makes racial profiling easier. But, I am still uncomfortable with racial profiling even with the micro measurement of the genome.

Israel should not be allowed to exist under the pretext of race. Mainly, IMO, because in doing so, every classification of human beings should have a country of their own issued by the League of Nations or now the equivalent the United Nations under the pretext of race if one nation is given such.
                    So that would change the fundamental state of Israel.
                    Israel was created to protect Jews, or so we are told. Therefore Israel should be for those that claim Judaism as their religion.

And IMO Israel does a very poor job as a religious state.

To quote a scholar

Shiraz Dossa, a professor of Political Science at St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia, Canada who presented a paper at the International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust conference in Iran, believes the text is a mistranslation.[21]

Ahmadinejad was quoting the Ayatollah Khomeini in the specific speech under discussion: what he said was that "the occupation regime over Jerusalem should vanish from the page of time." No state action is envisaged in this lament; it denotes a spiritual wish, whereas the erroneous translation—"wipe Israel off the map"—suggests a military threat. There is a huge chasm between the correct and the incorrect translations.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    To be fair...unless any of us speak the language...we will have to reserve judgment on what was actually said.

There are claims on both sides.

To clarify on the scholar...

Shiraz Dossa is a Ugandan born Canadian with Iranian heritage.

Said scholar also has a habit of showing up where ever anti-semites gather.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Edit -already explained by Blaze...
                      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM. Reason: *

Comment

• Blaze
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by WACF
                        To be fair...unless any of us speak the language...we will have to reserve judgment on what was actually said.

There are claims on both sides.

To clarify on the scholar...

Shiraz Dossa is a Ugandan born Canadian with Iranian heritage.

Said scholar also has a habit of showing up where ever anti-semites gather.
                        I disagree with you. It is unfair to not grasp what is being said.. The whole world would stop in its tracks if a person only limited understandings to languages one understood. Gone from use would be the Bible.

What is to “judge” anyway? Is it a sin to raise the interest of Israel to remove it racial penchant from its state and tribute Judaism?

Claims of what and what “sides” do you speak of?

I choose Dr. Dossa due St. Francis Xavier University qualifications. Why did you choose to highlight “Ugandan born Canadian with Iranian heritage”?

To Quote the good Doctor again:
                        "It was the Zionists and the neo-Nazis who, for very different, self-serving reasons, depicted it as a Holocaust-denial conference and sold it to willing, anti-Iranian Islamophobes."

Though the above statement is a bit abrasive, Zionist and Neo-Nazis each of those groups pander to the other’s agendas.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There is also a ludicrous hypocrisy of these people quoting Dinnerjacket again and again. Look at some of the real quotes from the other side.

“[The Palestinians] are beasts walking on two legs.” Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin, speech to the Knesset quoted in New Statesman, June 25,1982 .

“We have to kill all the Palestinians unless they are resigned to live here as slaves.” Chairman Heilbrun of the Committee for the Re-election of General Shlomo Lahat as mayor of Tel Aviv, 1983.

“Everybody has to move, run and grab as many (Palestinian) hilltops as they can to enlarge the (Jewish) settlements because everything we take now will stay ours . . . Everything we don’t grab will go to them.” Ariel Sharon , then Israeli Foreign Minister, Agence France Presse, 15 Nov 1998 .

“It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism, colonization, or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands.” — Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the extreme right- wing Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.

Comment

• WACF
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

I disagree with you. It is unfair to not grasp what is being said.. The whole world would stop in its tracks if a person only limited understandings to languages one understood. Gone from use would be the Bible.

What is to “judge” anyway? Is it a sin to raise the interest of Israel to remove it racial penchant from its state and tribute Judaism?

Claims of what and what “sides” do you speak of?

I do not see it as easy as you do.

For me...unless I speak the language I am leaving it up to someone else to tell me exactly what was said...therefore for me to give judgement on the quote would be wrong...as anyone else who does not speak the language.
                            There is too much bullshit out there with people throwing agendas into daily news.

It is hard to choose what to believe sometimes...

The side I refer to would be the side that Dr. love heard his bit...and the side you heard your bit on.

Sides....groups...whatever....there are conflicting stories of the translation...so I see it as two sides.

I choose Dr. Dossa due St. Francis Xavier University qualifications. Why did you choose to highlight “Ugandan born Canadian with Iranian heritage”?

To Quote the good Doctor again:
                            "It was the Zionists and the neo-Nazis who, for very different, self-serving reasons, depicted it as a Holocaust-denial conference and sold it to willing, anti-Iranian Islamophobes."

Though the above statement is a bit abrasive, Zionist and Neo-Nazis each of those groups pander to the other’s agendas.
                            St. Francis Xavier University is not very happy with the company the proffesor keeps.

The University does though...support free speach and personal views...and has defended itself in past.

I pointed out the heritage because one would think...working at a Canadian University...that it would bring validation to anything Dossa said...being far removed from the middle east.

When in fact...Dossa is from a place with more radical views than someone born in Nova Scotia.

Being Canadian....I have heard of Dossa many times...call him what you want...he is no better than the radical Israeli's...

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by WACF
                              I do not see it as easy as you do.

For me...unless I speak the language I am leaving it up to someone else to tell me exactly what was said...therefore for me to give judgment on the quote would be wrong...as anyone else who does not speak the language.
                              There is too much bullshit out there with people throwing agendas into daily news.
                              This is what translators are for. Grant it when non scholarly language is used, it can be a challenge to interpret.....
                              Like for example at Dr. Ahmadinejad's recent press conference. The CNN translator was shabby at best, but generally the translator got the basics. Dr. Ahmadinejad was asked by translator from the CNN corespondent, what about the unrest. Dr. Ahmadinejad responded (from the translator) that after matches, for example soccer matches, crowds become unruly. Good gosh, we all know that is true. To me, I fully understood what he was saying especially with my experience in managing crowd control at high volume music venues. I understood what he spoke of even with the poor quality translator. However, CNN acted like Dr.Ahmadinejad was talking off the wall.

It is hard to choose what to believe sometimes...
                              You don't choose. you take the results stated and interpret.

The side I refer to would be the side that Dr. love heard his bit...and the side you heard your bit on.
                              Dr. Love was providing rumor. The same type of rumor that can be useful to one side.
                              Like when I have people tell my ex about my sex... (hey a Sammy song!)

Sides....groups...whatever....there are conflicting stories of the translation...so I see it as two sides.
                              I can tell from that statement you play chess.....
                              Sir, there are always more than 2 sides in political and military strategy.

St. Francis Xavier University is not very happy with the company the professor keeps.
                              Link~ or that is opinion
                              The University does though...support free speech and personal views...and has defended itself in past.
                              Yes, and air has oxygen

I pointed out the heritage because one would think...working at a Canadian University...that it would bring validation to anything Dossa said...being far removed from the middle east.
                              simply because you choose separatism, does not mean all chooses separatism. His qualifications as a doctorate shows a dedication to a willingness of research and in-depth understanding more than who or where the sperm and egg that created him matured

When in fact...Dossa is from a place with more radical views than someone born in Nova Scotia.
                              Radical views... that is opinion

Being Canadian....I have heard of Dossa many times...call him what you want...he is no better than the radical Israeli's...
                              you attended his discourses? What classes have you taken of his?
                              Last edited by Blaze; 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...