X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Health Care Reform explained for Dummies

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jng4TnKqy6A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jng4TnKqy6A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&featur e=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Most accurate thread title of the year.

If your a dummy, this would explain health care and probably be agreeable for you.

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

I totally agree with the analogies of Fire, Police, and so on. We already have socialized programs and have for years.

What I can't accept and what I don't feel the media/government are pushing or even talking about, generally speaking of course is.... Why not have universal health care IF you need it. On your tax returns have a box to check off and a percentage of your wages deducted from your taxes. You use it you pay for it....like highways, police and fireman. IF you are lucky enough or rich enough to have your own PRIVATE INSURANCE you are tax exempt.

Have a two party system Private and Public health care and let the market dictate the results.

If you are on welfare you already have health insurance, so what would change there. If you are what is termed the working poor than have some sort of affordable insurance available. Like I said x-amount of your taxes if you make x-amount of dollars, again paying for a service rendered to you. If you are in poverty level status you're already covered if you are on public assistance so no change there.

What the Repukes are doing is using the Rove "Be afraid, very afraid", scare tatics that has been so successful for them over the last 9 years. Nothing new here.

We should have a common sense approach and as a Capitalist myself I'd like to see Private and Public health care options. The rule of old school Capitalism only the strong will survive. It'll force Private companies to have to compete and should, in theory, drop costs to a reasonable level for many Americans.

I would be all for Private Insurance if it was....costs effective, gave me medical options and I got the best service for my money.

I would be all for Government ran Health Care if it was......my only affordable option, covered my extreme medical needs and wasn't demanded that I pay for it even if I didn't need it.
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Insurance companies on average pay out in claims 101%-103% of every premium dollar received. (For Dummies that means for every $100 dollars they receive from their policyholders, the pay out $101-$103 to those very same peoples claims). How can they do this while still making large profits? Investing the money and earning more than 1%-3% return on the total pool. They do not make attempts to pay 80% of every premium dollar, or even 90%. The target is 101% - 103%. You can see this in any insurance company's annual filings, reports, statement, independent actuarial reports, business models, etc... Rates are constantly adjusted and recalculated based on ever changing information that underwriters use as their bible...risks, perils, claims made, number of insured, etc... All to maintain that amount of premium dollar to payoff balance.

This model is used for all insurance companies. Automobile liability, umbrella, fire, life, health, property, homeowners, renters, business, livery, etc...

So to base this video on incorrect information is spreading a very common myth and is not fair to either side. Plenty of ways to get your idea out without having to use false numbers.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Ever made a claim against your insurance company for anything? I have and it was the standard.....deny the claim, give me the run around, no promised phone calls back and pushing me to the point of having to get a lawyer involved or threaten to. Standard practice for Home and Auto insurance. So if that's the model..........
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by kwame k

I would be all for Government ran Health Care if it was......my only affordable option, covered my extreme medical needs and wasn't demanded that I pay for it even if I didn't need it.

So you are against it. It will be demanded that you pay for it through your tax dollars. Actually, you won't even get to pay for it in the traditional sense. They take what they deem is their share before you even see a dime of the money you work for.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Big Train
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I totally agree with the analogies of Fire, Police, and so on. We already have socialized programs and have for years.

What I can't accept and what I don't feel the media/government are pushing or even talking about, generally speaking of course is.... Why not have universal health care IF you need it. On your tax returns have a box to check off and a percentage of your wages deducted from your taxes. You use it you pay for it....like highways, police and fireman. IF you are lucky enough or rich enough to have your own PRIVATE INSURANCE you are tax exempt.

Have a two party system Private and Public health care and let the market dictate the results.

If you are on welfare you already have health insurance, so what would change there. If you are what is termed the working poor than have some sort of affordable insurance available. Like I said x-amount of your taxes if you make x-amount of dollars, again paying for a service rendered to you. If you are in poverty level status you're already covered if you are on public assistance so no change there.

What the Repukes are doing is using the Rove "Be afraid, very afraid", scare tatics that has been so successful for them over the last 9 years. Nothing new here.

We should have a common sense approach and as a Capitalist myself I'd like to see Private and Public health care options. The rule of old school Capitalism only the strong will survive. It'll force Private companies to have to compete and should, in theory, drop costs to a reasonable level for many Americans.

I would be all for Private Insurance if it was....costs effective, gave me medical options and I got the best service for my money.

Kwame, I agree with this in principle, I just don't think the economics of it would work.

Those who would most need it are most likely to be the least able to afford it, which means their ability to pay probably would not offset the overall costs of services needed.

The hard part of this is finding the right blend and price points.

I think arguing complete private ins. or complete social medicine is not really feasible either way. Tweaking what we have I think might be the best bet.

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Ever made a claim against your insurance company for anything?

Have you ever tried to get anything solved by a government entity?

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by sadaist
                  So you are against it. It will be demanded that you pay for it through your tax dollars. Actually, you won't even get to pay for it in the traditional sense. They take what they deem is their share before you even see a dime of the money you work for.
                  That's the Rove scare tactics working. Since there is no bill on the floor right now and they'll start working on it after their break how can you say what's in it or out of it.

All that has happened is.......
                  House bill remains to be determined because versions passed by the Ways and Means, Energy and Commerce, and Education and Labor committees must be reconciled once Congress returns from its summer recess after Labor Day. Link

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I got it figured out. If you say you are a working taxpayer the hospital will make you fill out endless forms and the insurance tells you it will go towards the deductable but you aren't getting any coverage. If you look like a Mexican, speak no English, you are assumed to be an illegal alien and you don't have to fill out any paperwork and they treat you.

Sollution=dye your skin brown, your hair black, and speak Spanish.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

Have you ever tried to get anything solved by a government entity?
                      Yes, I took out student loans and had them all through college and had the money I needed right there for my first fall semester.

I've called the Police and sure enough they showed up.

I dislocated my shoulder and no one was around.....called 911 and an ambulance showed up.

Took a trip across country and drove on public highways and interstates.

Turned on my faucet and public water came out.

Need I go on?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

The same people who say we need socialized medicine are the same people who cry that the world is overpopulated. Why in the hell do they want to cover everyone? Leave it as is. The poor will die due to no medical coverage and that will leave only the rich which is only a small percent of the population.

Sollution=be rich and live in a underpopulated planet.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Want the govt. to pay for your healthcare? Sign up for military service. Everyone having a leg blown off or shot up has Uncle Sam pay for it. With a war going on in two countries so far, they probably are looking for people. Even old fucks.

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            Want the govt. to pay for your healthcare? Sign up for military service. Everyone having a leg blown off or shot up has Uncle Sam pay for it. With a war going on in two countries so far, they probably are looking for people. Even old fucks.
                            I guess that's an option

Comment

• WACF
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Insurance companies on average pay out in claims 101&#37;-103% of every premium dollar received. (For Dummies that means for every $100 dollars they receive from their policyholders, the pay out $101-$103 to those very same peoples claims). How can they do this while still making large profits? Investing the money and earning more than 1%-3% return on the total pool. They do not make attempts to pay 80% of every premium dollar, or even 90%. The target is 101% - 103%. You can see this in any insurance company's annual filings, reports, statement, independent actuarial reports, business models, etc... Rates are constantly adjusted and recalculated based on ever changing information that underwriters use as their bible...risks, perils, claims made, number of insured, etc... All to maintain that amount of premium dollar to payoff balance.

This model is used for all insurance companies. Automobile liability, umbrella, fire, life, health, property, homeowners, renters, business, livery, etc...

So to base this video on incorrect information is spreading a very common myth and is not fair to either side. Plenty of ways to get your idea out without having to use false numbers.
                              Years ago...there was a news program on and the insurance company in question did in fact say that if three people came in with the same health problem...one of them would be turned down.

Because...if you payout everyone...you DO NOT make money.

You do not want your fate in the hands of someone that must answer to shareholders/investors...

On a side note.

The idea that profits are always made because the invest IMO is a myth.

Alot of defined pension plans are currently undervalued because the investments in alot of cases did not do so well...
                              Last edited by WACF; 08-27-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...