X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Bands that need to hang it up..

Was curious what you guys felt were some bands that have gone way past their prime and continue pumping out complete shit. Pretty simple concept here.

Aerosmith

I'm going to divide this into three parts for my 2nd favorite band behind Van Halen.

In their prime:

I'm going to say from their self titled debut to "Night in the Ruts" were when they were amazing and probably one of the Hard Rock bands EVER during this time period. "Rocks" is criminally underrated in terms of being a hard rock record. Slash and James Hetfield have stated in the past that this was their favorite record, and hell, even Kurt Cobain stated that it was one of his favorites. They were to me the epitome of a great 70's rock band, and to me the best band of that decade. Right there in step with the bluesy/hard rock sound of Zeppelin and the stones. If you have a kid and wanted to get him or her into rock music, pick him up "Van Halen I" and "Toys in the attic".

Past their prime

Of all weird things for my hometown to lay claim to is that, not only are we the birthplace of rock n' roll music hitting the airwaves, we are the place where Joe Perry quit the band! Done during a "World Series of Rock" at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium, the fight literally escalated into that over Spilled Milk, and a lot of drugs. (Thankfully an even greater hard rock group stepped into the fold..and I think you guys all know who that is ). Following this there was a lackluster effort in the form of "Rock in a Hard Place" minus Perry and whitford, and another botched new record in "Done with Mirrors". Really it took a tandem work with Run-DMC covering their most well-know song from their prime to hoist them back to making passable music. "Permanent Vacation", "PUMP" and "Get a Grip", while not even close to where they were in the 70's, were actually a fun listen and it's actually those songs that not only introduced me to Aerosmith but Rock N'Roll Music in general in the form of a compilation record I had bought when I was 12 called "Big Ones". The appearances in Waynes World (both the skit and movie) were okay with me, they knew whom their target audience was, and the videos? again, were fun, Alicia Silverstone was in top form there. Even the shitty video game wasn't all bad...but it was following those things that Aerosmith really turned to Aeroshit

"Hang it up guys"

I'm going to say, "Nine Lives" was hit or miss, and really didn't make an impact, but when Aerosmith really took a hit was following the release of "I don't want to miss a thing" in that complete turd of a movie "Armegeddon"..it was right then that Aerosmith morphed from being a Hard Rock band to catering and whoring themselves out to the TRL generation. (BTW that was just an overall shit experience for me, because not only was that officially the death of my favorite band, but the fucking baltimore ravens...a team that was supposed to be MINE won a super bowl, suck in hell art modell).

Which brings me to closing my statement. Steven Tyler this upcoming year go from being the epitome of "Sex, drugs, and Rock N' Roll", to fucking wholesome family fun by being the judge of American Idol, a show that in my generation is perhaps the most corporate pop-shit I have ever seen and a festering boil on the ass of humanity.

All I'm asking is this...Hang it up NOW and release some of the concerts you recorded in the 70's on DVD and quietly relax in your mansions. Can you make the one off appearance on a little mini-tour or on someone else album? Sure, I'd be down with that, but just quit embarrassing yourself. You're a great rock band and you're legacy deserves better.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Lynyrd Skynyrd. The last guy who had any legitimate claim to the name just died. And he wasn't even in the fucking band. Hang it up Johnny. Quit leeching off your brother's corpse.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And Quiet Riot, please?

Original singer and guitarist DEAD.

NO original members in the band. Only one guy in the band who played on their best selling album, and that's the drummer?

And a new singer who came from a Van Hagar tribute band? Spare me.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Which brings me to "Yes", "Boston", "Journey" and any other pathetic shell of a former band who hired a sound-alike singer off of YouTube, Facebook, or MySpace.

You SUCK. You're over. Let it go. Especially YOU, Tom Scholz. Calling your band "Boston" without Brad Delp was lame enough when you did it the first time. It's fucking inexcusable now.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And let's not forget "Styx", "Foreigner", "Reo Speedwagon" and all the other false bands out there who wouldn't have 5 original band members on stage even when they all tour together.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Unchainme
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by FORD
            And let's not forget "Styx", "Foreigner", "Reo Speedwagon" and all the other false bands out there who wouldn't have 5 original band members on stage even when they all tour together.
            when you've reached that level of being a band, just call it a tribute band, because really at that point that's all it is.

I think Van Halen is a bit of an exception to this. This is as close as we're going to get and I'm not going to bitch about it. It sucks MA is not in the band, but I enjoyed seeing EVH and DLR on stage together singing their hits. I think they have one more tour (do the world, I'm sure people in europe are dying to hear some cvh!) in them (in support of their new album), then they should hang it up. Release what's in the vaults and call it a night, let Wolfie sit on his nest egg and form his own group (own original group mind you..don't do covers)

Comment

• hambon4lif
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
              Following this there was a lackluster effort in the form of "Rock in a Hard Place" minus Perry and whitford,
              I must be part of the minority, but I think "Rock In A Place" is a decent album. (Lightning Strikes, Jailbait, Bitches Brew).

It beats the shit out of the commercial shlock they've put out with Geffen.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                Sniper
                • Jan 2006

Last great rock record from Aerosmith...

Some of the Aero guys rely on touring to make $ as their songwriting got edged out decades ago. Same time their comeback peaked. They were my favorite band for years but I'm not really interested in seeing them live anymore. This was the setlist at Boston show on last tour. Too many power ballads...
                Train Kept a Rollin'
                Love In An Elevator
                Fallin’ In Love
                Livin’ On The Edge
                What It Takes
                Pink-c
                Last Child
                Cryin’
                Drum Solo
                Rag Doll
                Guitar Hero Joe
                Stop Messin’ Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry)
                I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing
                Come Together
                Sweet Emotion
                Jaded (Did not play)
                Baby Please Don’t Go
                Draw The Line
                Encore:
                Dream On (Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster!)
                Walk This Way

Still I'd be interested if they did cut a new CD, unlikely now that Brand Tyler is on American Idol
                "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

And of course Chaim Witz is too greedy to call it a day...

Pack it up SCABS!

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

KI$$ 1975 = Cool

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ki$$ 2010 = Not Cool...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
                    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

I would completely agree with Kiss and Aerosmith.

More bands should think like The Scorpions - realize that time only yields diminishing marginal returns....
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by FORD
                        And Quiet Riot, please?

Original singer and guitarist DEAD.

NO original members in the band. Only one guy in the band who played on their best selling album, and that's the drummer?

And a new singer who came from a Van Hagar tribute band? Spare me.
                        just to reiterate that point

Saw Kiss on the last two tours however, and they still sound awesome.They should hang it up after they done a 40 year anniversary world tour
                        Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 09-23-2010, 04:17 AM.
                        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Thin Lizzy.

That latest exhumation of the name with Ricky Warwick and Vivian Campbell makes me wanna retch.
                          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by GreenBayLA
                            Last great rock record from Aerosmith...

Nope, that definitely was NOT Aerosmith. It was the singer and rhythm section with a pair of scabs. The last true Aerosmith album was this one, and although this record was dismissed at the time it was issued and by now is pretty much forgotten, give it a listen today. It holds up surprisingly well.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Unchainme
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2005

Another band that springs up is Metallica.

up until the Black album they had made some great songs and were an enjoyable group...

now it's all shit and my local rock station will overplay the living fuck out of them and their new shit album. Lars too, has become a giant douche.

And even before then they were being rather douchey, I heard that in the 1980's they were calling out Motley Crue for the way they dressed and then ran away like pussies when the band started to all gang up on them.

great music but just a couple of douche bags.

Comment

Working...