Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonrisa salvaje
    Veteran
    • Jun 2005

I'll put my vote in for Skid Row who continue to tour and make albums without Sebastion Bach on vocals. There was some merit to the band with him in it but without him i just don't get it.
    I also don't care for there being 2 versions of L.A. Guns, one with the original lead singer and one with Traci Gunns without Phil on vocals. What is the point?
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
      Another band that springs up is Metallica.

up until the Black album they had made some great songs and were an enjoyable group...

now it's all shit and my local rock station will overplay the living fuck out of them and their new shit album. Lars too, has become a giant douche.

And even before then they were being rather douchey, I heard that in the 1980's they were calling out Motley Crue for the way they dressed and then ran away like pussies when the band started to all gang up on them.

great music but just a couple of douche bags.
      I always used to laugh when people bought into the image perpetrated by a band, and Metallica are no different in regard to displaying themselves in a certain fashion. For one reason or another, folks tend to attach a label of integrity to a group when the fact is, when you really get down to it, they are at core entertainers. By and large, musicians readily exploit themselves for attention not gained in the normal course of their lives, and are willing to do so to at times embarrassing lengths. And if you think I'm full of shit, throw the DVD of Some Kind Of Monster into your video player, and after having sat through it (if possible), talk to me about the dignity, integrity and spirit of these so-called bad asses.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
        I always used to laugh when people bought into the image perpetrated by a band, and Metallica are no different in regard to displaying themselves in a certain fashion. For one reason or another, folks tend to attach a label of integrity to a group when the fact is, when you really get down to it, they are at core entertainers. By and large, musicians readily exploit themselves for attention not gained in the normal course of their lives, and are willing to do so to at times embarrassing lengths. And if you think I'm full of shit, throw the DVD of Some Kind Of Monster into your video player, and after having sat through it (if possible), talk to me about the dignity, integrity and spirit of these so-called bad asses.
        Some kind of monster just furthered my feelings as to how fraudulent the group has become.

Someone like Dave, while an entertainer has been fairly up front about it, and doesn't really need to put up a front about it. He's amazing, and just sad that he hasn't gotten near enough respect to just how interesting of a person he is, both on and off stage. Eat 'Em and Smile was pretty good at showing this.

I would say it's very few and far between to find someone who generally lived/lives out the rock and roll lifestyle. I think Motley, Old School Ozzy, Keith Moon, Lemmy, (as mentioned before) Dave all geniunly didn't really have an on and off switch, and were badass regardless of where they were.

Hence why I have a deeper respect for Motley Crue than Metallica, as dave said in an interview once "A lot of so-called "Rock stars" sing about how they're going to do this and that, drinking, and having sex, and at the end of the day they go to their station wagon and go to home to their wife and kids".
        Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I really don't think Metallica should stop: they still crush as a live band, and 'Death Magnetic' contained some real fire, some real venom. The 'Load' and 'Reload' years are long gone, as are the 'Some Kind of Monster' interludes. Lots of bands make mistakes, try experimentations that don't work, and are forgiven. For some reason Metallica aren't - maybe its because they came from the underground, I don't know.

As for being 'badasses': if you're the same person at 45 that you wre at 20, isn't that a little sad? We get older, flabbier, balder and have wives and children. Some of the edges are dulled as a result. That being said, I bet Lars drink most people under the table (if he hasn't bored them to death first!)
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
            I'll put my vote in for Skid Row who continue to tour and make albums without Sebastion Bach on vocals. There was some merit to the band with him in it but without him i just don't get it.
            I also don't care for there being 2 versions of L.A. Guns, one with the original lead singer and one with Traci Gunns without Phil on vocals. What is the point?
            Completely agree. Skid Row could have had a decent legacy, but they'be dragged it through the toilet.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Unchainme

I would say it's very few and far between to find someone who generally lived/lives out the rock and roll lifestyle. I think Motley, Old School Ozzy, Keith Moon, Lemmy, (as mentioned before) Dave all geniunly didn't really have an on and off switch, and were badass regardless of where they were.

Hence why I have a deeper respect for Motley Crue than Metallica, as dave said in an interview once "A lot of so-called "Rock stars" sing about how they're going to do this and that, drinking, and having sex, and at the end of the day they go to their station wagon and go to home to their wife and kids".
              I'm not quite sure what to make of this: you respect for a band whose hedonism led to the death of one person in a car crash, and the serious injury of two others, and who contain a man who beat his wife? Why do they get special exemption for actions I am sure you would find appauling if they were carried out by someone you actually knew?

The reason Motley and so many other 'rock stars' are infamous for their actions is because, quite simply, they talk about those actions endlessly. In middle age, that 'party hard' legacy is all they have to live off because, quite frankly, they are washed up as a creative force. They are a notalgia act, and they're milking it. And that's fine. From what I've heard, however, it is a charade these days - according to Vince's new book, Nikki is something of a corporate whore business man, not a rebel rousing rock star. At 55 years old, isn't it a little cooler to be a succesful business man than a junkie?

The point I'm making is, bands like Metallica, Maiden, AC/DC etc, etc don't talk about those ways because its not essential to selling tickets and CDs. Mick Wall once said that the most hedonistic behaviour he's ever seen occurred on a Def Leppard tour - hard to believe, but that's probably because that band doesn't ramble on about it in every interview. I am guessing that at 50 years old a lot of these guys look back at those days with a certain ambivalence: smiling fondly, but also a little embarrased by theirt youthful selves, maybe even a little ashamed (I'd certainly like to think so.)

What I am saying is, don't buy into the legend: most of these bands lived the lifestlye; its just that some of them grew up. It doesn't make them sellouts, it just means that they're not retarded 21 year olds in a 55 year olds body.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                KI$$ 1975 = Cool

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rC4qmoqNULI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ki$$ 2010 = Not Cool...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aZuddHJuTPY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
                I give the 2010 KISS and A for effort but Gene and Paul are just too old. Their age shows. Sure they do it for the money but I think they actually enjoy doing it but time to hang it up. That being said, there has never been a band like KISS and there never will be. Legends in my book.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

Faster Pussycat

Club Red * 7pm Doors * 21+ Event * $15-$20

Bands include: * The Hollywood Saints * Hollow * Suicide Circus * Rocking Horse

Faster Pussycat is back for another round @ Club Red. If you missed them earlier this year, here's your 2nd chance to see them with ALL their great hit songs!

so i guess it is just the original lead singer now, anybody seen these guys lately?
                  Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• indeedido
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

I would be fine with KISS carrying on if they took the makeup off, but trotting out the two scabs is too much. Hang it up!
                    This space for rent.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Rush. Mainly because I hate 'em and always have. Geddy Lee looks like a tranny now.
                      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Oh, and Guns n' Roses...hang it up. No one cares about you Axl, without Slash, Izzy, Duff and the rest.
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

Keep dreaming guy's !! They will not go away if there is money too be made. Even if it is a small club. Oversea's they couldn't care less who is in the band the just want too hear the music. Their not as anal as us American's. But put Skynyrd on my list since Billy died. God & Gun's is a great cd but they should have called it a day after they released it. I had no problem with them still touring until Leon died because the newer cd's have been very good but it's time. Just saw Rush and they killed it. Gun's for sure !!! And Skid Row. The Thin Lizzy thing is pretty fucking sad also !!!

Comment

• Anonymous
                            Banned
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                            I really don't think Metallica should stop: they still crush as a live band, and 'Death Magnetic' contained some real fire, some real venom.
                            Yeah. The parts that sound just like Master of Puppets. Of course, the Metallisheep will lap it up. But it's extremely sad when the only memorable parts on an album are the ones that sound almost exactly like an album that was released 50 years ago.

Metallica has stopped being good a long, long time ago. The truth is, Mustaine handed them the formula, the recipe. The template for "The Four Horsemen" was later used on "Creeping Death" & "Master of Puppets". Then Cliff added the kickassedness. That dude played on a whole different level. Lars Hetfield have ridden on the talent of two people for way too long. They're fucking disgusting. Worse than Gene Simmons.

The fact is that Metallica couldn't write anything worth a shit if you bashed their skulls in.

I love their four albums as much as anyone. But everything they've done since then has been worse than the stunts Eddie V. pulled on us. The difference is, some people here have no qualms about calling Eddie what he is - a disgusting piece of shit. Not so with the Metallisheep.

Fuck 'em all.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• lesfunk
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

THE WHO ...or should I say the two?
                              http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Big Troubles
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by GreenBayLA
                                Last great rock record from Aerosmith...

Some of the Aero guys rely on touring to make $ as their songwriting got edged out decades ago. Same time their comeback peaked. They were my favorite band for years but I'm not really interested in seeing them live anymore. This was the setlist at Boston show on last tour. Too many power ballads...
                                Train Kept a Rollin'
                                Love In An Elevator
                                Fallin’ In Love
                                Livin’ On The Edge
                                What It Takes
                                Pink-c
                                Last Child
                                Cryin’
                                Drum Solo
                                Rag Doll
                                Guitar Hero Joe
                                Stop Messin’ Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry)
                                I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing
                                Come Together
                                Sweet Emotion
                                Jaded (Did not play)
                                Baby Please Don’t Go
                                Draw The Line
                                Encore:
                                Dream On (Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster!)
                                Walk This Way

Still I'd be interested if they did cut a new CD, unlikely now that Brand Tyler is on American Idol
                                i dont know, nor care to look it up, but "Devil/new Disguise" sounds like a decent new(er) recording from Aero.

although, their best shit was pre-84

now that he is on AI, it's done...
                                "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

Working...