X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Tough Times Get Worse....

I been having a rough time this year financially. All my credit cards have been cancelled. At least now AMEX is not calling....as they turned my accounts over to collection agencies.

Then my cousin died last month. We still do not know for sure why, but suspect liver failure, as he was a bad alcoholic his entire adult life. I mean REALLY bad.

But that is not the worst of it.

My Dad had a stroke 3 years ago and his left side has been paralyzed ever since. Docs told us that the circulation in his left leg was going to get worse, and eventually drastic action would have to be taken.

Well, 'eventually' came today. My Dad is going under the knife to have his left leg amputated just above the kneecap. His left foot was beginning to die due to the bad circulation, the tissue is beginning to break down (gangrene) and this operation is necessary to save and or extend his life.
    He has been in severe pain for the past month or so, and this is the next necessary step.

Due to his stroke, Dad's mentally faculties are not always up to speed. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. My Mom told me yesterday that she had not been told what the docs decided to do until after she got home from the hospital yesterday. So she asked me to break the news to him last night after I got off work.

Toughest thing I ever had to tell my Dad. Needless to say it was not the happiest of moments.

I managed to make him laugh though, after a few minutes, by telling him I would be bringing him his Captain Ahab costume later in the week.

I have not told him what the Docs have told the family....that it is likely he is not going to be around more than another year or so.

When it rains it pours.

Am not expecting things to get better this year. Banks have not foreclosed on my property yet, as I am doing a sort of structured repayment plan with them to get back 'current' on my house payments.

But I trust banks like I would trust a cobra.

Just wanted to vent a bit that's all. Our family has had it good since I have been around.....not an awful lot in the way of doom and destruction, but this year it has really hit the fan.

At least I have the Army to help me laugh a bit, even when going through the rough patches in life.
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Hey good luck man. It's crazy, cotton, gas and sugar are on the rise.

Play for your father the crazy neighbor that screams hate and your plans to make her the singer of one of your recording projects.
    That'll make him laugh.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Now THAT is a good idea, lol.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Glad we can at least make you laugh Hardrock. Hang in there, it always gets better after the storm. We just got unfocused and greedy as a society and now it's all coming to roost. Our grandparents had to deal with a depression and a world war. 15 years of pure shit. They got through it and things got better. Times like these sepparate the men from the boys. All it means is we have to go with less, be smarter, grow up faster and on the back side we come out smarter and stronger. Society needed to be bitch slapped back to sense.

Our generation enjoyed some of the best years in world history. Van Halen was a big part of that party. I ate and smiled. I look forward to more fun times once this current shit has passed.
        Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Sorry to hear about the shitty year, man... Keep your head up. Gotta roll with the punches, to get to what's real...
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

Have it cleaned and mounted above the fireplace (least that is what I plan to do when the arthritis becomes so bad in my ankle), and then with the kick ass bionic limb they got going these days freak out the kids in the neighborhood.

Life is hard but you do the best with what you got.

I wish him a safe and speedy recovery.
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
              Full Member Status

• May 2010

The grass allways looks greener on the other side of the street HR.
              You are not alone.

I never liked the quote, God only gives you what you can bear.. Bullshit..( fogive my language) .

I have a fucked year also seems the older we get the more family and friends we loose and the more responsibility loads on our neck sometimes I describe it as a yoke and I think I cannot pull this wagon full any longer.

All I can say is keep the faith faith, in that things will work out as they should and soon enough things will work thier way down to a easily more understandable workable scenario that can be completed and shelved to open up some new horizons.
              2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
              clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                Have it cleaned and mounted above the fireplace (least that is what I plan to do when the arthritis becomes so bad in my ankle), and then with the kick ass bionic limb they got going these days freak out the kids in the neighborhood.
                Check out a book called A Cure For Arthritis by Pablo Airola .

Comment

• standin
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2009

Hang in there. There decent is not as bad as it seems when you are in the free fall. You'll still look back when it it through and have some good memories.

Remember, they can't eat you, well they can but they won't know about it.

I recall one of my landlords after I let go of the house (I had to chose medicine or owning a home). He was an very old school old man. He had a helper he employed sometimes. My heart was in serious trouble by this point. The old man was concerned that I had not had children and was alone. He brought this helper around for handy work. He introduced him and proudly said the helper had had 12 children. He went on to explain how with his red hair, blue eyes, robustness (6' tall and could swing an ax with ease) we were a fine match and his helper was a "proven" male. I kid you not he used those words, "proven male". The first thing I noticed was the tattoo on the helpers arm of a gold spray paint can. Never mind the fact he had 12 kids.

About your Dad, you should tell him. I kind of resent the lack of honest by omission I experienced. I knew something was up when I was worried about my smoking and my doctor was saying smoke all you want. Maybe, the docs didn't know how quickly my wearing heart monitor was coming, but if I had known the graveness of my condition I had a few people I would have called told them to hang it on howdy dooty mountain. What I am saying one should have as much time as possible to do what they need to do for that F-line train hits the deck.

Oh that reminds me... there was a song that helped me along. I haven't heard this in years, but I still keep a DNR order. It is kind of pointless now, but it is comforting and let's me feel in control somewhat.

Prayers for you and yours, ~`~
                  To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                  MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Thanks guys.

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      Check out a book called A Cure For Arthritis by Pablo Airola .
                      Or do a Google search for women with large areolas. It really will cheer you up immediately, unless you happen to be at work and your boss inconveniently sneaks up on you. (Trust me on this )

I'm sorry to hear about this wave of crap that you are swimming through, brother. It seems the older we get, the more difficult it is to negotiate it. I don't have anything even remotely profound to offer you, other than in the past few years it has been my experience that you simply have to roll with it, and hope for better times. I'm keenly aware of how lame that sounds, but it's the truth. Surround yourself with good friends and family, and persevere. Ask yourself "What would Dave do?", and muster forth.

And remember, we are all here at the ARMY for you to commiserate with.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Etienne
                        Commando
                        • Aug 2010

A few years back my dad had a stroke too. He was out of the sudden, from day to another, disabled, he couldn't even speak right anymore. It was a shock for all of us, family. In the last years with a hard training my father got almost his whole health back (fingers crossed).

What I'm trying to say is, maybe I can imagine what are you going through.

Keep your head up, all the best for you, your family and especially for your dad.

Comment

• fifth element
                          Commando
                          • Nov 2010

sorry to hear about all the problems that have come your way in this year.

my thoughts and prayers will be w/ you and yours...
                          “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Hey buddy......I got nothing either in the way of something profound or enlightening to share so................

Keep your head up and if you ever need someone to talk to let me know!
                            Originally posted by vandeleur
                            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

I'm with you HR.........

My Godmother passed away a month ago, suddenly, from cancer..........

So far 2011 GETS THE FINGER!!!

Comment

Working...