• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Tony Iommi diagnosed with lymphoma

From BLABBERMOUTH:

Legendary BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphocytes, a type of cell that forms part of the immune system.

Iommi, 63, is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan and remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery.

This comes as BLACK SABBATH — Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Bill Ward (drums) — are writing and recording their first album in 33 years in Los Angeles (still set for release this fall) with producer Rick Rubin. They will now go to the U.K. to continue to work with Tony.

Iommi's BLACK SABBATH and HEAVEN & HELL bandmate, legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio, died of stomach cancer on May 16, 2010 at the age of 67.

In a June 2010 interview, Iommi stated about his former bandmate, "I was talking to Ronnie [a few days before he died], and he said, 'I've gotta have this new chemo, but I think it's working.' And that was the real big shock of it, because within a week of that, he had passed away. So it was a big shock for all of us, because we built ourselves up to [have him beat the disease] and, of course, we didn't expect to lose."

According to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, lymphoma is the name for many different types of cancer that arise in the lymphocytes (immune cells). Treatment might involve chemotherapy and in some cases radiotherapy and/or bone marrow transplantation, and can be curable depending on the histology, type, and stage of the disease.

There are three types of lymphocytes: B lymphocytes (B cells), T lymphocytes (T cells) and natural killer (NK) cells. B lymphocytes make antibodies to fight infection; T lymphocytes have many functions, including helping B lymphocytes make the antibodies that fight infection; and natural killer cells attack cancer cells and viruses. Lymphoma may arise in any of these types of lymphocytes. In general, B-cell lymphomas are more common than T-cell lymphomas; however, in the skin, T-cell lymphomas are the most common type.

About 20 percent of the white cells in the blood are lymphocytes. Most lymphocytes are found in the lymphatic system, the major part of the body's immune system. The lymphatic system consists of a network of organs, including the spleen, the lymph nodes (small bean-shaped structures located throughout the body), the lymphatic vessels and areas in the gastrointestinal tract.

Lymphoma is divided into two major categories: Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). Cutaneous T-cell lymphomas (CTCLs), cancers of the T lymphocytes, constitute a rare group of NHLs that arise primarily in the skin and have various signs and symptoms, outcomes and treatment considerations.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Man, that fucking sucks..........

I guess we're getting to that age where any news you hear about people is either an obituary or an illness

Come on Tony....I hope you beat this thing!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Doesn't say if it's Hodgkin's or not.

Hodgkin's is less bad.

Comment

• K-tuna
        Groupie
        • Jan 2012

MAN......that pisses me off...Cancer has taken too many. We've lost too many good folks in life to this crap.

Tony, my prayers are with ya.
        "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Doesn't say if it's Hodgkin's or not.

Hodgkin's is less bad.
          Oh, that"s why people say Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma........
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Fuck.

Let's hope he recovers. A legend and a gentleman.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Shit.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for the master of the metal riff.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• lesfunk
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

no!!!
                http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• jero
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                  Man, that fucking sucks..........

I guess we're getting to that age where any news you hear about people is either an obituary or an illness
                  Yeah man, hearing it almost every fucking month

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by jero
                    Yeah man, hearing it almost every fucking month

Hear ya, brother!

Comment

• nitroDave23
                      Roadie
                      • Jan 2012

No!!!

Always get's the good ones :/

Hope he recovers soon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

No is right. Terrible new's. What a cool guy !! Best wishes too him on a recovery. I hope he has a shot. Losing Dio was enough for me lately !! These guys we all grew up listening to are getting older ! It suck's but that's life I guess.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Goddamn it. If all the money wasted on bullshit like "the war on terra" and "the war on drugs" was instead spent on the war on CANCER we wouldn't have to read shit like this anymore.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Not to mention Bush stopping stem cell research for 7 years.

I wonder how many of us he killed with that decision...

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              Goddamn it. If all the money wasted on bullshit like "the war on terra" and "the war on drugs" was instead spent on the war on CANCER we wouldn't have to read shit like this anymore.
                              Not gonna happen; there ain't nearly as much money to made in a cancer cure as there is in cancer treatment.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...