The new VH album sounds horrid through headphones.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The new VH album sounds horrid through headphones.

I'm listening to the new VH album through a very expensive pair of Grado Labs headphones and it sounds very thin and lifeless. Of course this tends to be the problem with most digitally recorded music but this album is especially bad. I can beef if up running it through my tube amps and speakers but straight from a digital playing device into a very nice set of headphones it has no beef.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • VanCanHalen
    Groupie
    • Jan 2012

try some $9.99 sony in ears that should do the trick......

Comment

• Southpaw
      Roadie
      • Jan 2009

This album sounds kick ass on my JVC earbuds on my Ipod....

Comment

• neuralfraud
        Head Fluffer
        • Aug 2010

The reason it sounds horrid through your headphones is because it is horrid.

There, I said it.

The production sucks.

It's so fucking brickwalled that everything is just smashed together. NOTHING stands out on its own.

The mix is lifeless and the sound is thin. The drums have NO PUNCH. The snare doesn't pop. The kick doesn't kick.

An example of PUNCH: Girl Gone Bad "She don't work for free..." listen to the toms.
        GGB.JPG

You can clearly see above where the toms come in. They're the loudest part of the track, but only for milliseconds at a time. The result is that they pop out of the mix. 1984 is actually a very GOOD sounding album.

When I listen to any of the 6 pack, I can turn my (car) stereo up to about 45 (out of 50) comfortably and the sound is lively, and more importantly, it doesn't hurt my ears. When I listen to ADKOT I have to turn it down to 20 because my ears are fucking ringing in 5 minutes.

Listen to the solo in STW... the bass sounds like it's distorting.. that may be.. oh wait, it is.
        She's the woman.. they don't mix 'em like they used to...
        suck.JPG

When a wave is abruptly "clipped" flat, the resulting sound is distortion. In this case, it's only scantly behind Death Magnetic in so far as audible distortion.

unfortunately it's difficult to know for sure where the compression was put into the mix... during recording or during mixing?

How many more years do we have to suffer through this ear-damaging bullshit? If they ever issue a remaster, it should be left to a professional mix engineer and NO PERSON WHO DOES THIS TO A WORK OF MUSIC CAN BE CONSIDERED A PROFESSIONAL IN MY EYES.

I have to believe that it was ROSS HOGARTH who let this happen. Even the self-mixed recordings eddie did were never compressed and could easily be fixed with some EQ.

I LOVE this album, but it literally hurts me to listen to it. What's the fucking point of listening to VH if you can't blast it?

Comment

• Green Manalishi
          Head Fluffer
          • Jul 2010

Man , I gotta disagree . It sounds loud and clear on my Pioneer system in my truck . Sonic and bombastic as hell . It just fills my cab space .

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Sounds fine through my BOSE headphones.

Maybe they are shit headphones and counteract the compression.

I listened to 1984 on the same setup just out of curiosity.
            I think the new album sounds better.

Maybe the vinyl will be mastered differently and appease even the most
            discerning ears. Cos we can definately record from vinyl !
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
              Veteran
              • Apr 2004

Umm...

The Bose Ear buds sound awesome, so does the new CD.
              http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
              Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
              Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• vh rides again
                Commando
                • Dec 2006

Im no audiophile but it sounds great through my 20 dollar earphones.

I do notice a lot of distortion at high levels on my home theatre system, the bass sounds up and down at times in the same song.

There is not much pounding through the sub like I on other vh albums either.

Comment

• tjvhou812
                  Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

I listen thru my turtle beach headphones and it sounds killer
                  Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• VanHalenI
                    Roadie
                    • Dec 2010

i dont know if you're listening the new album through your calculator or whatever... but to my earphones this shit sound good! actually perfect!
                    I had some crazy vision, one I can't deny it
                    It said "Open your eyes. Leave it all behind."

Comment

• Fairwrning
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I agree with Neauralfraud 100%...I played Foo Fighters " Wasting Light" and ADKOT back to back same settings and volume..no comparison..Foos record sounds much better..Hell..original 6 sound much better...still love the CD tho..

Comment

• SNIPER
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

Change the battery.

Comment

• SNIPER
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

My new high end Ford Fusion has a beefy system and ADKOT sounds a little boomy. But thats what settings are for. Learn your system.
                          Last edited by SNIPER; 02-18-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by neuralfraud
                            The reason it sounds horrid through your headphones is because it is horrid.

There, I said it.

The production sucks.

It's so fucking brickwalled that everything is just smashed together. NOTHING stands out on its own.

The mix is lifeless and the sound is thin. The drums have NO PUNCH. The snare doesn't pop. The kick doesn't kick.

An example of PUNCH: Girl Gone Bad "She don't work for free..." listen to the toms.
                            [ATTACH]8497[/ATTACH]

You can clearly see above where the toms come in. They're the loudest part of the track, but only for milliseconds at a time. The result is that they pop out of the mix. 1984 is actually a very GOOD sounding album.

When I listen to any of the 6 pack, I can turn my (car) stereo up to about 45 (out of 50) comfortably and the sound is lively, and more importantly, it doesn't hurt my ears. When I listen to ADKOT I have to turn it down to 20 because my ears are fucking ringing in 5 minutes.

Listen to the solo in STW... the bass sounds like it's distorting.. that may be.. oh wait, it is.
                            She's the woman.. they don't mix 'em like they used to...
                            [ATTACH]8496[/ATTACH]

When a wave is abruptly "clipped" flat, the resulting sound is distortion. In this case, it's only scantly behind Death Magnetic in so far as audible distortion.

unfortunately it's difficult to know for sure where the compression was put into the mix... during recording or during mixing?

How many more years do we have to suffer through this ear-damaging bullshit? If they ever issue a remaster, it should be left to a professional mix engineer and NO PERSON WHO DOES THIS TO A WORK OF MUSIC CAN BE CONSIDERED A PROFESSIONAL IN MY EYES.

I have to believe that it was ROSS HOGARTH who let this happen. Even the self-mixed recordings eddie did were never compressed and could easily be fixed with some EQ.

I LOVE this album, but it literally hurts me to listen to it. What's the fucking point of listening to VH if you can't blast it?
                            You nailed it! Everything is smashed together. Too compressed. Al's snare should really sound like a hollow log and Wolfies bass is so smashed in with the drums it sounds like part of the drum kit. I've never heard Al sound so boring. I've tried to fix things in the EQ but it just boosts the compression either way. There are no dynamics in the production. They needed Eddie Kramer or someone of that caliber to mix this album down.

Shit. The band sounds better over someone's cell phone. LOL!

The only way to make this album sound good is too run it through a tube amp through about four sets of speaks placed around the room and crank it. You have to play it like a fucking rap album.
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• neuralfraud
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Aug 2010

Nailed it. Not much bass pounding through the subs. There probably is, the problem is relatively speaking, the rest of the mix is so much louder that it really is tough to distinguish.

You guys are welcome to hold your opinions and for those of you who think it sounds great, I'm happy for you.

Originally posted by vh rides again
                              Im no audiophile but it sounds great through my 20 dollar earphones.

I do notice a lot of distortion at high levels on my home theatre system, the bass sounds up and down at times in the same song.

There is not much pounding through the sub like I on other vh albums either.

Comment

Working...