The new VH album sounds horrid through headphones.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lesfunk
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

My disc sounds good on my computer and in the car. On my home stereo it sounds like shit
    http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Jagermeister
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by lesfunk
      My disc sounds good on my computer and in the car. On my home stereo it sounds like shit
      You really have to play it loud. As I said in my review it's not mixed well IMO. If you play it loud and I mean loud it sounds great.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Maybe they need to start giving you two mixes when you buy an album, one for shit like phones and computers and then another for proper sound systems.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

They do...

They're called CD and Vinyl...

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Maybe they need to start giving you two mixes when you buy an album, one for shit like phones and computers and then another for proper sound systems.
            I was reading an article in Rolling Shit Stone that said CD's sales are so low now they don't even want to make them. That's the reason you see things like bonus DVD's in them now to drive customers to want to buy them instead of just DL on itunes.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
              I was reading an article in Rolling Shit Stone that said CD's sales are so low now they don't even want to make them. That's the reason you see things like bonus DVD's in them now to drive customers to want to buy them instead of just DL on itunes.

True.

I haven't bought a cd since Megadeths RISK which was what? 12 years ago? IF...big IF...I hear any new music I want, I get it on the computer. Then I burn custom mix cd's to take in the truck with me.

HAD to buy ADKOT because I wanted to hold the cd. Open it. Smell it. Feel it. Look at the booklet while I listened to it. My only real disappointment with it was ZERO pictures in it. Would have liked a few band shots either live or in the studio. But I didn't really buy it for the dvd extra. It's nice to have, but eventually they'll all be on youtube to watch.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by sadaist
                True.

I haven't bought a cd since Megadeths RISK which was what? 12 years ago? IF...big IF...I hear any new music I want, I get it on the computer. Then I burn custom mix cd's to take in the truck with me.

HAD to buy ADKOT because I wanted to hold the cd. Open it. Smell it. Feel it. Look at the booklet while I listened to it. My only real disappointment with it was ZERO pictures in it. Would have liked a few band shots either live or in the studio. But I didn't really buy it for the dvd extra. It's nice to have, but eventually they'll all be on youtube to watch.
                Always been the reason I like records. I like the art.

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                  Always been the reason I like records. I like the art.
                  Agreed, Jagermeister. Nothing like that LP album cover art!

Once I get my ADKOT copy on vinyl, I can tell how it was truly MEANT to sound. I'm sure the vinyl sound will be superior to that of any download, any day. We will wait and see!
                  I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Dan
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

All I Can Say Is,Bring It,Dont Sing It.
                    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• private parts
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2007

Listened to Fair Warning on my way home last night after a couple of tracks from ADKOT Really a huge difference in the mix. FW has so much clarity. From vocals to drums it just sizzles. I don't have to stain to hear the bass lines. Every Eddie note comes through w/ all of Dave's lyric's right out front- no guessing "what did he say". Crank it to 11- no distortion. It's pure clean brown. ADKOT is more of a muddy brown.
                      sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• DaveTheScott
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by neuralfraud
                        The reason it sounds horrid through your headphones is because it is horrid.

There, I said it.

The production sucks.

It's so fucking brickwalled that everything is just smashed together. NOTHING stands out on its own.

The mix is lifeless and the sound is thin. The drums have NO PUNCH. The snare doesn't pop. The kick doesn't kick.

An example of PUNCH: Girl Gone Bad "She don't work for free..." listen to the toms.
                        [ATTACH]8497[/ATTACH]

You can clearly see above where the toms come in. They're the loudest part of the track, but only for milliseconds at a time. The result is that they pop out of the mix. 1984 is actually a very GOOD sounding album.

When I listen to any of the 6 pack, I can turn my (car) stereo up to about 45 (out of 50) comfortably and the sound is lively, and more importantly, it doesn't hurt my ears. When I listen to ADKOT I have to turn it down to 20 because my ears are fucking ringing in 5 minutes.

Listen to the solo in STW... the bass sounds like it's distorting.. that may be.. oh wait, it is.
                        She's the woman.. they don't mix 'em like they used to...
                        [ATTACH]8496[/ATTACH]

When a wave is abruptly "clipped" flat, the resulting sound is distortion. In this case, it's only scantly behind Death Magnetic in so far as audible distortion.

unfortunately it's difficult to know for sure where the compression was put into the mix... during recording or during mixing?

How many more years do we have to suffer through this ear-damaging bullshit? If they ever issue a remaster, it should be left to a professional mix engineer and NO PERSON WHO DOES THIS TO A WORK OF MUSIC CAN BE CONSIDERED A PROFESSIONAL IN MY EYES.

I have to believe that it was ROSS HOGARTH who let this happen. Even the self-mixed recordings eddie did were never compressed and could easily be fixed with some EQ.

I LOVE this album, but it literally hurts me to listen to it. What's the fucking point of listening to VH if you can't blast it?
                        This is some heavy shit...and I'd probably be pissed off if you didn't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Comment

• ElPatron
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Jul 2005

NEW VH RECORD ALL THE TIME IN MY CAR
                          My wife look at me dead serious "This is good"
                          That's all I care about.
                          Plant en los 70's, Bruce en los 80's, Anselmo en los 90's...
                          David Lee Roth PARA SIEMPRE.

Comment

• WACF
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            Crazy sounding but true...in this day you would only expect better, not worse.

Comment

• neuralfraud
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                              Saw a quote from Ross H. (at a Zep site, taken from the links) and he said this... "We mastered specifically for vinyl edition release ... we all know vinyl still is the schnizzle .."
                              I sure as FUCK hope that is true.. we'll find out in a month or so huh?

Comment

Working...