X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adena dodds
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2010

Wow

I had no clue that Gene Simmons was the one to get Van Halen signed to a record lable. I love to dress up as Gene for Halloween....The sad part is that people say that I remind them of him without the make up. My mother was the one who first started to like him, she'd sit and watch him on TV and I'd say; Do you like Gene Simmons? She'd be like yea. I was in shock because she doesn't not seem the type, but then again I just asked her if she liked Dave better than Elvis and she said yea with a little hesitation or embarasment...Gene always scared me growing up but I guess my mom was right...It's good to be Gene! I think all the mothers of us 80's chicks had to be closet David Lee Roth fans.....you know it was hard enough for our dads to accept this type of look and behavior let alone to find out their wives were drooling over him too? Not in my Italian family! Hey at least my dad didn't tear down Daves posters like he did to our Andy Gibb pictures on the walls....I guess we were a little to young to like boys back then.....Perfact Timming Dave! Cheers! Love, love ,love that song!
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

He didn't, he FAILED to get them a deal.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      He didn't, he FAILED to get them a deal.....
      Yup...he tried and failed. If memory serves Simmons shopped it to Aucoin, Aucoin passed, and Gene gave the tape back to the boys and sent them on their way.
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I think Ed even said Aucoin was getting his shoes shined while he told'em nope.

Comment

• Zing!
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

One of my bigger =VH= pet peeves. I hate articles that toss in the "...discovered by Gene Simmons of Kiss..." as fact. Like this one from the Uncasville review:

"...The group had its origins in Southern California in 1973 where the Van Halen family with a musician father relocated to in 1967 from the Netherlands, and played the bar circuit for a few years. The Van Halen brothers actually started off playing each other’s instruments. Kiss’s Gene Simmons helped them get signed to a record deal."

Gene noticed them. Tried to help them out. Didn't work. End of story. Ted Templeman and Mo Austin discovered them.
          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            I think Ed even said Aucoin was getting his shoes shined while he told'em nope.
            And if the shoe shine guy was attractive there's also a chance that Bill was trying to get his knob polished at the same time....
            Originally posted by perilouspete
            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Zing!
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Here's the story according to Ed.

EVH: "Ah, I was getting to that. We just kept playing, doing our Civic shows and clubs and stuff like that, and then we got into playing the Starwood and the Whiskey because Rodney Bingenheimer, who's a big wheel in the L.A. music scene, saw us. He said, "Sh*t, you guys are all right. Why don't you play at the Starwood?" So we played there for maybe four or five months, and one day Marshall Berle, who's now our manager, saw us. He's Milton Berle's nephew. He didn't tell us who was there. He just said, "Hey, there's some people out here to see you. Play good." At that time he really had nothing to do with us. Edward Van Halen before his first major interview He was just working his way into having something to do for us. It ends up that we played a good set in front of no people, an empty house at the Starwood on a rainy Monday night. We got done with the set, and we're all going, "Hey, it was a good set. All right, guys!" All of a sudden Marshall walks in with [producer] Ted Templeman and [Warner Bros. executive] Mo Austin. I mean, it was heavy. Because I remember talking to other bands, and they've always been trying to get Ted to produce their records, but he only works inside of Warner Brothers. He doesn't produce other acts. And there he was. He said, "Hey, it was great, man." And within a week we were signed. It was right out of the movies, man, because really? Well, we made a tape once with Gene Simmons from Kiss. We flew to New York with them, and nothing really ever came of it, because we didn't know where the hell to take our tape. So we had a bitchin' sounding tape - the world's most expensive demo tape, which he paid for. We didn't know where to take it. We didn't start walking around knocking on people's doors, pushing ourselves on them, saying, "Hey, sign us, sign us!" We just kept playing everywhere, and eventually they came to us."
              My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• jero
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Rodney Bingenheimer saw Van Halen at the Gazzarri club in the summer of 1976, He took Gene Simmons of Kiss to see Van Halen. Gene Simmons then produced a Van Halen demo tape with recording beginning at the Village Recorder studios in Los Angeles and finished with overdubs at the Electric Lady Studios in New York. Simmons wanted to change the band's name to "Daddy Longlegs", but the band stuck with Van Halen. Simmons then opted out of further involvement after he took the demo to Kiss management and was told that "they had no chance of making it" and that they wouldn't take them

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by adena dodds
                  Perfact Timming Dave!
                  Perfact timming for the dummp...

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Two Biggest Myths in Van Halen History:

1) Gene Simmons got VH signed to Warner Brothers

2) Dave's ego is the reason VH split up in 1985

Comment

• redozzman
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Feb 2005

According to Ed, Simmons really wanted Ed to join kiss, was that prior to the demo tape or later?

Comment

• adena dodds
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2010

So I guess Gene was playing it up in that interview. I think it was Van Halens ego that was the cause of Van Halen's split up with Dave. Let's face, it most of us went to see David Lee Roth perform with that sexy body of his and that sexy savage hair and just his presence alone was all we ever needed! To be honest we kinda laughed at the other band members....shhh, don't tell anyone. We were bad. Let's face,.... it there wasn't too many good looking front men to write home about....That's when you start looking at the other band members.
                        Originally posted by TJMKID
                        Two Biggest Myths in Van Halen History:

1) Gene Simmons got VH signed to Warner Brothers

2) Dave's ego is the reason VH split up in 1985

Comment

• adena dodds
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Apr 2010

And then came Bon Jovi and Brett Michaels, Sebastian Back....Dave started the trend. I don't care what they say....He's a trail blazer!
                          So I guess Gene was playing it up in that interview. I think it was Van Halens ego that was the cause of Van Halen's split up with Dave. Let's face, it most of us went to see David Lee Roth perform with that sexy body of his and that sexy savage hair and just his presence alone was all we ever needed! To be honest we kinda laughed at the other band members....shhh, don't tell anyone. We were bad. Let's face,.... it there wasn't too many good looking front men to write home about....That's when you start looking at the other band members.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

And then came Bon Jovi and Brett Michaels,
                            Please refrain from saying these things.

thank you,
                            everyone

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by redozzman
                              According to Ed, Simmons really wanted Ed to join kiss, was that prior to the demo tape or later?
                              Which is different than the story that $immons tells.....

He claims around Fair Warning (?) that Ed was so frustrated with Dave that he asked to join Ki$$. Gene told him to stay in Van Halen.
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

Working...