• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Emmitt Smith named starter again

June 17, 2004

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, was designated Thursday as the Arizona Cardinals starting running back.

Coach Dennis Green made the announcement at the close of offseason workouts. Marcel Shipp, who took over last season after Smith broke his shoulder, will be the backup.

When Smith returned after missing six games, he remained the backup.

The 35-year-old Smith signed a two-year deal with the Cardinals last year after a 13 years with the Dallas Cowboys.

Last season was his worst in the NFL, with just 256 yards rushing and an average 2.8 yards a carry. Shipp rushed for 830 yards and a 3.6 average.

• POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Well...It truly doesn't say a whole lot about Shipp...and you have to wonder what in the fuck Denny Green is doing?

He's a good coach...and maybe he's just trying to wake Shipp up...

How big would it be if Emmitt performs though...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Sarge
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Emmitt is through

The guy should have taken a cut and played with a team that actually has a line...
      Even as backup
      ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
      The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
      [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

He should have retired...not backup...

not sure why he's still playing...doesn't need a paycheck...

it's this fucking incessance to get to 20,000 yards I'm betting...raising the bar to a point that may not ever be matched...

I just don't see it happening...unless there's a miracle...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

And they have mass size up front.

Leonard Davis, L.J. Shelton both go the 6-7, 330 range, they must be heavily lacking in the mobility department.

I don't know if the Emmitt of the mid 90's could run behind this line. Probably is being used as the motivation play. Shipp had pretty decent numbers when healthy last season, and was the #1 RB coming into this off season.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I can't see Emmitt starting...I'm surprised they didn't cut him...

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

He won't find much room. No way are teams going to worry about Josh McCown beating them just yet.

There will be at least 8 in the box against them and they will then blitz the hell out of the young QB, which means Emmitt having to do a lot of blocking.

No way does he NOT get hurt.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Jesus...if Emmitt's starting...I can't see any team stacking 8 in the box...

they'll just be playing regular reads...don't you think?

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Maybe, but I figure, beat the absolute hell out of them on first and second and the Cards are in 3rd and long almost constantly.

Their receivers are going to be great. A young, talented trio.

But giving that QB time, and in passing situations, that slow OL will lool like 5 matadors.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

I like McCown...I'm really curious to see if Green can get him to develop...or if they'll be reaching in the trash heap early on...

The way he runs around...he could end up dead early on...lmfao...

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Green's a good coach, the desert will take it's toll though.
                      Writing checks your owners ass can't cash and all that.
                      Poor ol' Jake suffered and suffered....now he's really suffering.
                      Another year of college kids in the stands and Emmitt looking
                      at Dickerson's stats.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

It doesn't matter if Smith gets to 20,000. Sanders was better.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Well...it's like comparing Russell to Wilt...

talentwise...sure...Wilt was better...scored and boarded like a motherfucker...

but Russell was better...why?...because he made everyone better around him...and won titles...

sure...Sanders was the better pure talent...but Emmitt fit his offense to a T...wasn't the offense...and made that line look brilliant, and vice versa...

blah...blah...blah...about Sanders and his team...but the fact remains that Emmitt won the titles...broke the record...and should always be considered one of the top four backs of all time...

Sanders may have been better...but Jim Brown made them both look like Bitches...

game...set...match...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Besides...Sanders gets knocked down a notch for being a giant pussy and quitting...he can say what he wants about why he retired...but it was a hissy fit because he either wanted them to deal him...or just liked to hear himself bitch to his dad...

Comment

• rustoffa
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                              Besides...Sanders gets knocked down a notch for being a giant pussy and quitting...he can say what he wants about why he retired...but it was a hissy fit because he either wanted them to deal him...or just liked to hear himself bitch to his dad...
                              LMFAO! THAT is game, set, match!
                              Too bad ol' Bo had that freak injury.....he woulda been the greatest.
                              Dickerson!

Comment

Working...