X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JOE THUNDER, LP
    By the way, the 2 best running backs of all time are Rocky Blier and Thurman Thomas. Not even close airheads.
    Of all time? Oh yeah, you bet ...

Man, sorry dude .... even I had no idea you were this handicapped.

Comment

• JOE THUNDER, LP

And Sarge, get this fucking technical situation taken care of. Your starting to make an ass out of yourself

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JOE THUNDER, LP
        And Sarge, get this fucking technical situation taken care of. Your starting to make an ass out of yourself
        Don't be stupid Joe. This isn't the forum.

Go to "feedback to the webmaster".

That's where you post your tech issues at.

Even a Colgate graduate can understand that can't ya?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Dude...quit shitting on Rocky Bleier like that you illiterate piece of shit...

Now the dude is shitting on the Steelers...whatadumbfuck...

Still waiting for my banishment...you stupid homo...

Mark this down as two forums..
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

He's on a roll man. Must have been able to afford 2 40oz tonight.

Comment

• BrownSound1
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

Jim Brown? Are you fucking kidding me? No way in fucking hell he could have ran like that on the defenses that Sweetness, Sanders, or Emmitt faced. Geezus, it's like the Wilt Chamberlain thing....Brown was bigger than most of the fucking lineman when he played, so I'm screaming foul right there.

I know most of you crusty fuckers are going to scream about Emmitt having a huge line and Sanders didn't have shit. But you know what, it wouldn't have mattered if Sanders had of been at Dallas, he wouldn't have gained any more yards than he did. The reason I say that is because of Barry's running style, which worked completely off of misdirection. Even the one or two seasons that Detroit had a half-assed line he still ran the same way. Nothing wrong with that, it's just his style. Think about this, remember when Smith held out for two games after his first Superbowl? Cowboys couldn't win shit with the same team, and even a decent running back in Derrick Lassic...or was it Sherman Williams.... Anyway, don't matter, either one of those guys were bad ass SEC backs who ate the Miami Hurricanes asses for lunch for a National Title, and the dude could not get it done behind the great Dallas line. Emmitt comes back and boom, they go to another Superbowl. It ain't as easy as it looks boys, believe that shit.

Pojo is right, Emmitt is a North/South runner, and can read the seams of a line as well as anyone I've ever seen. What you also have to remember is a lot of times with Emmitt he was hit at the line, but would somehow escape from the tackle. That my boys is why Emmitt is great. Most of his yards are after two or three guys have tried to tackle him, and not every back can do that. Sanders couldn't...problem with Barry was hitting him in the first place, but he was pretty much down once he got nailed.

Look guys, I agree that the backs mentioned in this thread are all great. However, most of you never give Smith any respect. I just don't understand that...he DOES have the All-Time Rushing Yards record, he does have the All-Time Rushing Touchdowns record, and is second only to Jerry Rice in touchdowns overall. To me the touchdown stat is MUCH more important, because while you have to be an effective runner, it is more important to be effective scoring points. I think this is what sets Emmitt apart from other backs. He had a nose for the end zone, which is the only stat that really makes a damn in the game of football. It wasn't like the other teams didn't know he was getting the ball either...they knew full well and just couldn't stop it...which is kind of like the Packer's Sweep, you knew it was coming, all you have to do is stop it.

Ok enough of my preaching....

My top backs are

1. Emmitt Smith
              2. Walter Payton
              3. Barry Sanders
              4. Tony Dorsett (number 2 all time for a lot of years, plus the 99 1/2 yard MNFB run is one of the greatest runs I've ever seen.)
              5. Bo Jackson (could be the best back I've ever seen, but pick a fuckin' sport!!!) Too bad he went to Auburn >
              6. John Riggins ...the Diesel
              7. Erick DICKerson...and I do mean he's a dick
              8. Thurman Thomas...maybe the best all-round back of the bunch.
              9. Roger Craig....a total badass
              10. O.J. Simpson/Marcus Allen...O.J. for his slashing (no pun intended) running style, and Marcus because I like him.

Now I'm sure a lot of you are going, "what the hell is Brownie smokin'?" Really it is just a list of backs that I like regardless of stats...with the exception of the first two.

Comment

• rustoffa
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Emmitt's a great talent, no doubt. Being a UGA fan, I'd like to
                forget his tenure at Florida. He was blessed with Irvin stretching
                the field, Moose, etc. at Dallas. It's all subjective bro. Guess
                I'll be the first to throw in Marcus Allen being the sole fan of
                west coast demolition in here. Al Davis......tsk-tsk-tsk.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Obviously Brown, you didn't watch enough of Mr. Sanders. He did not go down when one guy would hit him.

I remember quite a few games, specifically one against the Bears, where there were no less than than three Bears on his back for about ten yards, he eventually threw them like potato sacks and ran about 30 yards into the endzone. That guy had legs as thick as Bo Jackson.

Yeah, Emmitt has the record. I'll give him that. But to me, what your average yards per season is more important. Sanders averaged 1,526 yards per year! What has Emmitt averaged for his career? 1,200-1,300?

Emmitt scored more touchdowns. I'll give him that.

The problem with Emmitt is he doesn't know when to quit. Barry quit when he was in his prime, like Brown. Nobody saw him go downhill, so nobody will have a bad memory of him playing.

1990 Dallas Cowboys 16 241 937 3.9 11
                  1991 Dallas Cowboys 16 365 1563 4.3 12
                  1992 Dallas Cowboys 16 373 1713 4.6 18
                  1993 Dallas Cowboys 14 283 1486 5.3 9
                  1994 Dallas Cowboys 15 368 1484 4.0 21
                  1995 Dallas Cowboys 16 377 1773 4.7 25
                  1996 Dallas Cowboys 15 327 1204 3.7 12
                  1997 Dallas Cowboys 16 261 1074 4.1 4
                  1998 Dallas Cowboys 16 319 1332 4.2 13
                  1999 Dallas Cowboys 15 329 1397 4.2 11
                  2000 Dallas Cowboys 16 294 1203 4.1 9
                  2001 Dallas Cowboys 14 261 1021 3.9 3
                  2002 Dallas Cowboys 16 254 975 3.8 5
                  2003 Arizona Cardinals 10 90 256 2.8 2
                  TOTAL 211 4,142 17,418 4.2 155

Key stats here: 1,244 yards per season, 4.2 ypc, and 11 TDs per season.

1989 Detroit 15 280 1470 5.3 14
                  1990 Detroit 16 255 1304 5.1 13
                  1991 Detroit 15 342 1548 4.5 16
                  1992 Detroit 16 312 1352 4.3 9
                  1993 Detroit 11 243 1115 4.6 3
                  1994 Detroit 16 331 1883 5.7 7
                  1995 Detroit 16 314 1500 4.8 11
                  1996 Detroit 16 307 1553 5.1 11
                  1997 Detroit 16 335 2053 6.1 11
                  1998 Detroit 16 343 1491 4.3 4
                  TOTALS 153 3,062 15,269 5.0 99

Key stats here: 1,527 yards per season, 5.0 ypc, and 10 TDs per year.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Brown...you do your fair share of crack my friend...now you surely are discounting the greatest back of all time because of his era...Yeah...Brown was bigger than the lineman that he faced...no doubt about it...he was 6'2" and 228 pounds...which would have put him average or slightly above for todays backs...had sprinter speed...could plow you over...and could cut like a demon...was essentially a cross between Emmitt and Barry...scream foul all you want you homo Cowboy fan...but the guy would have been great in ANY era...

Sanders...he freakin' ran people over...bounced off and still ran...carried people...his most famous carries were the ones in which three guys were dragging him down...only to have him spring away at full speed...

I agree with you though about Emmitt...he isn't given enough credit because of the teams he played on...and IMO, Sanders is given to much credit for the teams he's played on...

I'm surprised you didn't put Herschel Walker on that list...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• BrownSound1
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Mar 2003

The Jim Brown thing was just to fuck with you...I love Jim Brown. I don't think he was the greatest, but he was a bad ass.

Herschel? I think Herschel was a GREAT college running back, and he had all of the tools to be one of the greatest in the pros, but he just never could get it done. So having said that, he ain't on my list.

Barry Sanders run over people? A cornerback maybe....not a linebacker. You're right though he was the best at bouncing off of people....reminded me of a human pinball. The key to Barry was those swivel hips and he kept grinding.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

I don't know...Herschel had that 2,000 yard season...lmfao...albeit for the Donald Trump-led New Jersey Generals...

He did have some great stats in the NFL for a bit...then Jimmy used him to rape the Vikings...

He should have been arrested for that...

Comment

• BrownSound1
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Mar 2003

Was it Jimmy Johnson or Tom Landry....Dallas got a lot of picks out of that deal.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

It was Johnson...either his first or second year there...

they got seven picks...and some players...decimated the Vikes for years...and the Cowboys built their team with that one deal...

I'll get the specs for it...

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

It was between the '88 and '89 seasons. The Cowboys proceeded to get Troy Aikman in the draft at #1 and the rest is history. They already had Michael Irvin, and Emmitt would come a year later.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Mar 2003

Yeah, Irvin came in under Landry...

Comment

Working...