Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Horrible Review

Review: Reborn Van Halen scorches in concert despite faltering lead singer

David Lee Roth once again fails to deliver in concert

By Howard Cohen | hcohen@MiamiHerald.com4/11/2012

Van Halen’s new album is called A Different Kind of Truth, but the inescapable truth is this: Once again, Van Halen has trouble with its lead singer.

David Lee Roth fronted the band through its glory years of 1978-1984 before personality conflicts with guitarist Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen led to his ill-fated solo career. Van Halen continued in the mid-’80s with Sammy Hagar and, later, a poorly received and brief Gary Cherone era in the late 1990s.

Now, Roth is back, and the reunion of three-quarters of the original lineup, with Eddie, Alex and Eddie’s 21-year-old son Wolfgang on bass replacing Michael Anthony, led to the release earlier this year of A Different Kind of Truth. The album, the first with Roth in nearly 30 years, was a surprisingly strong effort that reworked material from the group’s earliest demos and proved that the combination of Roth and the Van Halens always made for this band’s best music. Anthony’s vocal harmonies are missed, but as a power trio, the Van Halens impress with instrumental acuity and a bracing concrete-hard wall of sound.

And so it was on the resulting tour, which hit Sunrise’s BankAtlantic Center Tuesday night. Wolfgang isn’t a showman, but his vocal harmonies with his father were clear and strong, and his muscular bass playing was solid enough to hold its own, and accent, Alex’s jackhammer kick drums and Eddie’s dizzying, surround-sound guitar leads. The Van Halens carried the concert and were incredible, especially Alex’s jazz-funk solo and Eddie’s complex tapping and shredding leads on Cathedral/Intruder.

But Roth was embarrassing. No one expects the 57-year-old to move like Jagger, but no one should have expected the once-flamboyant showman to move stiffly like a wax figure on a Lazy Susan. Clearly, for Roth, unlike his seemingly ageless colleagues, it’s not 1984 anymore.

Gone were most of the jumps, kicks and jive-talking cockiness that distinguished the front man in the 1980s. Roth entered the stage on the opening Unchained with a dopey, forced grin and a head-nodding shtick in the deceptive manner of a used car salesman showing off what he knows to be a lot full of lemons. At one point, he condescendingly and lamely paid tribute to Van Halen’s Latin fans by mimicking styles of Latin dance and culture.

The few kicks or splits Roth attempted were executed with little crispness and, unwittingly, he might have created a whole new term: kick-syncing.

Several times during the two-hour show, the IMAX-sized video screen behind the band beamed images of Roth making wide kicks at the same time he was clearly standing still. The visuals were a disappointment, too. At first, the huge black and white live shots and stock footage of the band looked great in striking high-def, but when the imagery failed to change for the remainder of the show it only called into attention how bare bones the production was. The band didn’t even employ a keyboardist to perform the synthesizer parts in Jump, relying on canned music instead.

Roth, unlike too many, at least didn’t lip-sync his vocals. No one would lip-sync to a track of such strained, flat singing. Eddie and Wolfgang’s accompanying harmonies on newer material like The Trouble With Never or oldies like (Oh) Pretty Woman had to cover for Roth’s missed notes.

Worse, he spent too much time raging at the roadies and the house, complaining about blowers. He claimed the blowers were turning the stage into a refrigerator and was wreaking havoc on the vocals. “You’ll have a much better show if they turn those [expletive] blowers off,” he yelled after I’ll Wait, repeating his tirade from a Chicago concert in February.

Later, during fan favorite Panama, he skipped off stage during the song’s most famous part, the rapped breakdown (“Let me reach down between my legs/Ease the seat back.”) Apparently, he chewed someone else out while the band, looking puzzled, was forced to extend the musical section. Roth returned, omitted the rap altogether, and soon barked another gripe at whoever was running the video screens preceding his ragged performance of the half-acoustic Ice Cream Man.

This kind of behavior, when decent seats top $150, is the height of unprofessionalism. If the Van Halens keep Roth on board for another tour, he’ll need to concentrate on his performance instead of yelling at the help.

In an odd pairing , ’70s funk act Kool & the Gang opened and gamely offered a serviceable and lean, 10-song, all-hits set highlighted by Hollywood Swinging.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM.
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Hmmmm. Hate to say that I agree with anything this A-hole has to say, but the rants are tired and the slow motion stills of jumps that aren't happening at that point in time are a bit of a cop out. They weren't doing that at MSG. You either got totally live, stills from Tattoo vid or VH pictures and logos.

As for his remarks about the singing, FUCK Howard Cohen.

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

It's just unrealistic to expect a 57 year old guy to perform the way he did 25 years ago.

Sugar Ray Leonard was a sensational boxer but put him in with Manny Pacquiao tomorrow and it'd be embarassing,.......

That being said, from the Youtube's it is clear that at times Roth is struggling vocally on this tour. He has the hardest job, and probably the greatest expectation to perform on him, however.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• azel
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Apr 2012

I'll take a struggling DLR in front of Van Halen, than anyone else in the world. And certainly better than no Van Halen at all.

Besides, his showmanship outweighs any vocal misgivings for me by a country mile.

9.5 out of 10 for me on Monday.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think part of the problem is that people have got used to lip syncing in arena rock bands which has raised a fake bar.

No one will be criticising Madonna's vocals on her tour because she won't be singing. Dave's other problem is his legacy. It's a lot more difficult for Dave to do his thing in his late 50s than it was for Sinatra or will be for James Hetfield.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

This kind of behavior, when decent seats top $150, is the height of unprofessionalism. If the Van Halens keep Roth on board for another tour, he’ll need to concentrate on his performance instead of yelling at the help.
            This does raise a very relevant point... the "blower rant" crap, real or not, definitely should have been fixed by now. Too many repeats and at this phase of the tour virtually all of the production wrinkles should have been ironed out.

For $150 per seat or way more... the fans do deserve a full professional show with little to no fuck ups beginning to end.

These aren't $15 tickets in the 80's anymore where the party eclipsed the performance... Dave's working for his dinner now and needs to focus on that.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

after seeing 2 shows on this tour, i can't disagree too much. The vocals are bad in alot of spots, but that's mostly due to Dave trying to sing an octave higher than he should. Dave is moving fine on stage, the Rosemont show he did plenty of splits with the mic stand and kicks..he looked good....look he's not gonna jump of the risers and do splits anymore...we all know that....but he should stop the blower rants....it's getting old

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

The used car salesman selling lemons isn't Dave, it's Sammy Hagar.

he condescendingly and lamely paid tribute to Van Halen’s Latin fans by mimicking styles of Latin dance and culture.
                Yeah but unlike Cabo Wabo Sam who sells you his Velveeta cheese version of Mexico, Dave can really sing his songs in spanish. Can Sam do that? I don't even think Sam could say toilet in spanish.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I don't even think Sam could say toilet in spanish.
                  Maybe not but he can bottle it.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                    ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

What pisses me off is the fact people do not think singing is any different to playing an instrument,The attitude of "Eddie can still play like he did,Alex can still play like he did,Why can't Dave sing like he did?".When Ed get's a cold do his fingers swell up?,When Alex would go partying did he ingest through his drums?.Dave can't leave during the guitar solo and have a tech change his vocal chords.Let's see how hot Eddie sounds on a 57 year old guitar

Pisses me off
                    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Don't know about this guy, but there was a less than flattering review after the Jacksonville show, and there was no way that the girl who wrote the article was even alive when VH ruled the world....

If you weren't around during the CVH era, don't try to denigrate it....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2004

Howard Cohen....another douchebag hack that simply doesn't get it!
                        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          If you weren't around during the CVH era, don't try to denigrate it....

Looks like the guy is in his 40s.

Comment

• katina
                            Commando
                            • Mar 2012

Howard Cohen and Sam Chickenshit can go trough the toilet ( inodoro ).
                            Last edited by katina; 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM. Reason: miss

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              Dave's other problem is his legacy. It's a lot more difficult for Dave to do his thing in his late 50s than it was for Sinatra or will be for James Hetfield.
                              That right there is a big part of the reason for these negative reviews. I, and everybody else, knows you shouldn't compare Dave today to Dave in his 20s or 30s. And if it was any other singer/frontman it would be a hell of a lot easier to ignore the past and not draw any comparisons. But it's David Lee Roth. It's not that he's doing poorly - not at all. But with a legacy and past that was so much larger than life it's hard not to compare today's show with shows from years ago. I don't see that as a negative thing at all - it's just how it is. But to write such a scathing review from the point of view that "he should still be able to do it just like he did in '83" is a bunch of bullshit.
                              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...