X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harrison
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Feb 2004

3rd single from ADKOT

Stay Frosty will be the 3rd single released from ADKOT.

Seems like a great choice. It may invite more people to the party.
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

I know we've had this discussion before - but what is the point of even releasing a 'single' these days?

I mean, it's not like they actually release a kinda physical object, is it? Y'know, with a b-side / extra CD single tracks that are not on the album. I can't see new fans - those who haven't bought the album - buying it. They'll just go to youtube and look at the latest cheapo video.

So, it is just saying to radio - this is the cut from ADKOT that we now want you to play.

I think Interscope are a bit lacking in the marketing of this album and its 'singles'.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Name your source for that information.

I disagree about it being a "great choice." It's a specialty song that we as hardcore VH/Dave fans enjoy, but the public-at-large sees it as an "Ice Cream Man" re-tread. It won't get any traction on the radio.

"Bullethead", "As Is", or "Blood and Fire" should have been considered as singles....way ahead of "Tattoo" or "Stay Frosty."
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by VHscraps
        I mean, it's not like they actually release a kinda physical object, is it? Y'know, with a b-side / extra CD single tracks that are not on the album.
        ... not that they ever did put out singles with unreleased b-sides. Unfortunately not. I have a whole box of 45s, from the US, Japan, UK, Europe - probably over fifty of them. Not a one of Van Halen's Dave-era singles ever had a non-album track as a b-side.

That used to bug the hell out of me, because one reason to buy singles back in the 70s and 80s was to see what goodies got left off the album. Some artists' unreleased stuff (well, some of it) - I think of Springsteen's 'Tracks' boxset, and the Dylan Bootleg series - was later considered better than the stuff they did put on the albums.
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• clockworkangels
          Roth Army Recruit
          • May 2012

They did a video for She's The Woman yet Palladia and VH1 Classic are still only showing Tattoo. I don't mind Stay Frosty being a single but it's not 1982 and radio programmers are just ridiculously slaves to the corporate line and it's unlikely it will have any serious impact. Even Sirius/XM has slowed down the playing of tracks from the new record and I just don't get why? They talked for years bitching about waiting for the new record and then it comes out and the Boneyard changes its format and they are still just playing old Halen instead with a random playing of ADKOT track. Sadly, it appears new music from classic rock artists is losing another home...satellite radio.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I think Bullethead would have been a great first single,It should definitely be the next one
            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• mh5150
              Foot Soldier
              • Mar 2010

Here is cd radio is getting

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• private parts
                Sniper
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                Name your source for that information.

I disagree about it being a "great choice." It's a specialty song that we as hardcore VH/Dave fans enjoy, but the public-at-large sees it as an "Ice Cream Man" re-tread. It won't get any traction on the radio.

"Bullethead", "As Is", or "Blood and Fire" should have been considered as singles....way ahead of "Tattoo" or "Stay Frosty."
                My source is that I heard it on the radio last week. Our local station only plays what they're told to play.
                sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I was hoping the next single would be their collaboration with Kool & The Gang. Ha!! Boy did that rumor ever turn into a puff of smoke.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by fryingdutchman

I agree with any of your 3 suggestions for a single, but I disagree with your comment about the "public-at-large". I think todays public at large is more in tune with "Panama", "Jump" and the others you hear on tv during sporting events, than they are "Ice Cream Man".

Who knows? Maybe a little change up with "Stay Frosty", and then hit them in the face with one of the heavier tunes as a follow up.

Comment

• VAiN
                      Use my hand, I won't look
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

IMO, 'As-Is' should be released to radio. It's a hell of a rocker.
                      Originally posted by wiseguy
                      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by private parts
                        My source is that I heard it on the radio last week. Our local station only plays what they're told to play.
                        Ummmmm....is "harrison" an alias for you?

Or are you just chucking in a source of your own to validate the OP's claim?

Not trying to be an ass...just trying to keep things in order.
                        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                          IMO, 'As-Is' should be released to radio. It's a hell of a rocker.
                          Agreed. I THINK it's my favourite, but my fav seems to change more often than the queen changes her sheets.
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
                            I agree with any of your 3 suggestions for a single, but I disagree with your comment about the "public-at-large". I think todays public at large is more in tune with "Panama", "Jump" and the others you hear on tv during sporting events, than they are "Ice Cream Man".

Who knows? Maybe a little change up with "Stay Frosty", and then hit them in the face with one of the heavier tunes as a follow up.
                            "Ice Cream Man" is pretty well known...not on the scale of a "Panama" or "Jump", but most people are aware of it. A lot of my friends, who can be described as "casual" VH fans at best, have come up to me trying to piss me off by referring to "Stay Frosty" as "Ice Cream Man - The Sequel."

They need to get the heavier (and better) tunes in NOW. If they keep releasing 2nd-tier stuff, people won't care by the time the excellent stuff rolls out.

Comment

• loucap81
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

Why would radio stations need a CD for "Stay Frosty"? Don't they all use hard drives by now?

Comment

Working...