Which musicians has Eddie Van Halen mocked over the years?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loucap81
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

Which musicians has Eddie Van Halen mocked over the years?

OK can someone fill me in on the bands that Eddie Van Halen has more or less gone out of his way to trash? I think it's poor form to do that if you're a musician (like that assclown from the Black Keys did not too long ago). But the two stories I've read involved Ed thoroughly trashing Jimmy Page, and then an encounter between Ed and Alex Lifeson of Rush where he insulted him to his face. What's the truth with these stories, and are there any other bands Ed has openly derided?
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

ed had a shot at lifeson ??? how shitty. plus is this ed talking music or is this ed fucking off his tits on .....fill in the blanks
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

The Other Half which was a band started by Sauce Soboweski and Sammy Hagar.

Ed once said Jimmy Page played like he had a broken hand.

Ed razzed Tone Loc for using a VH sound track on a rap song and said if you have to sample other people's music to make your own it's pretty pathetic.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

i saw jimmy page at newcastle city hall in 1988 .... there is pissed and there is jimmy page, the man had drank a shandy or two ..

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I think the story on Alex Lifeson is BS. When the first 5150 amps came out Alex bought one and said he liked it and said he was inspired to buy Ed's amp because Ed always got a great tone.

One story goes Rush rented the bar in a hotel and Van Halen came in and crashed their party. Geddy Lee was listening to a boom box with some music on it and Ed came up and smashed the boom box.

Comment

• gbranton
            Veteran
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            The Other Half which was a band started by Sauce Soboweski and Sammy Hagar.
            Which should have been called The Lame Half or as Ed said The People Who Didn't Belong Here.
            "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
              i saw jimmy page at newcastle city hall in 1988 .... there is pissed and there is jimmy page, the man had drank a shandy or two ..
              I met Jimmy Page in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was doing a fund raising thing for his wife's charity. He was smartly dressed in an expensive suit and very polite. He was in full British gentleman mode but then of course he was smiling for dollars that day.

Comment

• loucap81
                Head Fluffer
                • Apr 2012

ed had a shot at lifeson ??? how shitty. plus is this ed talking music or is this ed fucking off his tits on .....fill in the blanks
                It might have been Geddy Lee actually. There's a thread on a Rush board about it, is any of this true or just rumor?

First off, my disclaimer - if this has been discussed in the past I apologize in advance. Seems when something has been discussed years prior on this forum someone always has to call me on it and act like everyone and their brother already knows about it and there is no need to post yet again. (R...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                  Which should have been called The Lame Half or as Ed said The People Who Didn't Belong Here.
                  Lame Half

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by loucap81
                    It might have been Geddy Lee actually. There's a thread on a Rush board about it, is any of this true or just rumor?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=62198
                    I actually think Ed was pretty humble for how good he was and how drunk he was most the time. I mean he was not a Yngwie type egomaniac. Geddy seems like a pretty forgiving person actually. I have a hard time believing the story. Alex Lifeson had a wild streak in the day. If anything I could picture him and Roth raising some hell together. Alex is witty and funny as shit.

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

Yeah i think lifeson always comes across as cool and a bit chilled

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

He's a jokster. I read Ace Frehley's autobiography and he said Alex would do gags and make everyone laugh their asses off. I don't think he ever was the oh look at how good I ams type.

Comment

• gbranton
                          Veteran
                          • Aug 2005

Yeah i think lifeson always comes across as cool and a bit chilled
                          That's not what the deputies at the Ritz-Carlton who had to taze him said.

"Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

I recall that Ed saying that Joe Perry was a fairly average guitarist....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• gbranton
                              Veteran
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              I recall that Ed saying that Joe Perry was a fairly average guitarist....
                              The same Joe Perry that rated every Aerosmith album ever made five stars out of five.............except Done With Mirrors (which I like), that one he gave a negative five.

Comment

Working...