How would you feel if VH re-recorded CVH tunes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

How would you feel if VH re-recorded CVH tunes?

As I'm skimming over the recent Guitar World interview with Ed, this part stood out:

"It was actually Wolf’s idea for the album to be a collection of our B-sides along with three reworked songs, which would be new to our audience. Instead of the “Best Of” it would be the “B’s Of” — you know, songs like “Drop Dead Legs,” “Girl Gone Bad”… It would be a record of our more hardcore songs and none of the pop stuff. That was the initial plan for this album, but the deeper we dug, the more we found. At the same time I was writing new songs."

I love VH, but man, I'd have mixed feelings about them re-recording Girl Gone Bad or Drop Dead Legs or any other classic..
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

They weren't going to re-record them...just package the deeper cuts as B-sides for the uninformed and unenlightened masses...
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• VAiN
      Use my hand, I won't look
      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Ahh, I'm half retarded.. Reading comprehension owns me again.
      Originally posted by wiseguy
      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Yount
        Commando
        • Jan 2012

That would be a great move, they'd go back and buy 1984!

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Well, several bands are doing this to get around the issue of royalties with their old record companies (Def Leppard for Rock Of Ages, for example).

If there is no financial incentive, I don't see the point. I'm struggling to think of any re-recordings that are as good as the originals.......
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Well, several bands are doing this to get around the issue of royalties with their old record companies (Def Leppard for Rock Of Ages, for example).

If there is no financial incentive, I don't see the point. I'm struggling to think of any re-recordings that are as good as the originals.......
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
              ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I would probably give re-recordings one listen then not bother with them again.Also,would there be classic Dave screams?.

I love Drop Dead Legs as it is
              I really love you baby, I love what you've got
              Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• envy_me
                Swedish Love Pump
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Dec 2010

Wolf wants some royalties

No, but seriously, I wouldn't like it if they re-recorded the old songs. Some things should be left untouched. Classics should be left as they are.
                Those songs are more then recordings, it's a mark in time, effected by that period. New recordings would just ruin the experience of those old ones. Like reading a book and then watching the movie remake of the book, it just ruins it.

They would have to change them in some way. How? Probably make them sound modern.. It would sound as if Fred Durst recorded VH covers. A sacrilege.
                Last edited by envy_me; 07-25-2012, 05:06 AM.
                The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

The only time I want to hear the old songs recorded is if VH does a live album. Other than that, play them live and leave them alone in the studio.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Yount
                    Commando
                    • Jan 2012

But they re-did Panama and Beautiful Girls, or do you mean audio?

So I guess not many people like the Mambo Slambo Ice Cream Man??!! I loved it! 'Specially the video. I remember it was a few years ago now, stumbling out of a car in the campus parking lot baked to the teeth (or as we used to say, stuck in foam) but feeling totally alright, somehow wrangled our way into the IT lab when a nice dude held the security door open for me. Awesome man... access! Worry about how to get out later. Sat down, searching around feeling good and whimsical, somehow landed on this clip. Replayed it over and over again. Gold Dave! And that wasn't mama's cookies talkin' that video was the shit, those girls, the suspenders, ha! Dave's voice was was high though but it was the mid 90's EVERYBODY was burning at both ends.

How would I feel?

They've done nothing for years They can do whatever the they want at the moment and I'll be OK

Comment

• Yount
                      Commando
                      • Jan 2012

*deup

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

ha! cool stuff. a billy sheehan quote, of all things, occurred to me.

i don't remember it verbatim of course, but he said something about the great artists not being expected to stand up on a stage and reproduce their portraits night after night in front of thousands of people.

if those songs are the mona lisa billy, then i like the fact that the band will bring 'em out, paint 'em in day-glo and put a mustache on 'em live. that's what 'live' is. you get what you get on the night.

as far as VH re-recording any of the 6 pack, i flat out wouldn't buy it. why? i already have it.

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Feb 2007

I don't like it. I wouldn't buy it. If your going to take the time to do that you might as well just put out a new record with new material.

Comment

• ashstralia
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Feb 2004

yup. 'the normal kind of truth'. ©

Comment

• Yount
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2012

You'll buy it and have a listen what the fuck.

Comment

Working...