X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Mitt romney announces vice presidential candidate in norfolk saturday

How to Tell Paul Ryan Wants to Be Veep: He's Rejected His Former Idol Ayn Rand

Associated Press
    Elspeth Reeve 1,401 Views Apr 26, 2012

Rep. Paul Ryan, looking to undercut his image as a hard-hearted Objectivist, has told the National Review of one of his favorite authors, Ayn Rand, "I reject her philosophy... It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview." It's a surprising statement, given that Ryan said nearly the complete opposite in 2005: "The reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand." And she didn't drive him into politics because he couldn't stand her philosophy, either. Ryan made those comments at a dinner in Washington, D.C. honoring Ayn Rand's birthday -- hosted by The Atlas Society, a group that takes its name from Rand's book Atlas Shrugged and is dedicated to promoting her ideas. But today, in an interview with National Review's Robert Costa, Ryan says something very different:

‘You know you’ve arrived in politics when you have an urban legend about you, and this one is mine,” chuckles Representative Paul Ryan, the Budget Committee chairman, as we discuss his purported obsession with author and philosopher Ayn Rand... These Rand-related slams, Ryan says, are inaccurate and part of an effort on the left to paint him as a cold-hearted Objectivist...

"If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas... Don’t give me Ayn Rand..."

Where does this terrible urban legend come from? Some conservatives have been working to stamp it out recently: "Ryan Isn’t a Randian," the National Review's Brian Bolduc wrote just a couple weeks ago. Bolduc writes that New York Times columnist Paul Krugman "dubbed the congressman 'an Ayn Rand devotee,' an oft-employed epithet among Ryan’s detractors." But the Ryan-hearts-Rand meme wasn't created by liberals. You know who else said Ryan was a Rand "devotee"? Tucker Carlson, founder of the conservative Daily Caller. A year ago, Benjamin Domenech wrote that, contra New York magazine and other newspapers, "Paul Ryan Doesn't Require Staffers to Read Ayn Ran." For some reason, those staffers wouldn't say so on the record. Maybe that's because Ryan started the rumor himself. He's publicly talked about Rand on multiple occasions:

He told Insight on the News on May 24, 1999, that the books he most often rereads are "The Bible, Friedrich von Hayek's The Road to Serfdom and Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged."
    He told the Weekly Standard on March 17, 2003, "I give out Atlas Shrugged as Christmas presents, and I make all my interns read it. Well... I try to make my interns read it."
    At a February 28, 2009 speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, Ryan said Obama was trying "to use this [financial] crisis to move America toward the sort of Europeanized economy… Sounds like something right out of an Ayn Rand novel."

At the 2005 birthday party for Rand, Ryan said, "Almost every fight we are involved in here on Capitol Hill... is a fight that usually comes down to one conflict -- individualism versus collectivism." That doesn't sound so "antithetical" to Rand's worldview. For decades, Rand has been popular among fiscal conservatives from Alan Greenspan to Rick Santellii. But it makes sense that a politician with national aspirations wouldn't want to be too closely associated with Rand, who not only espoused philosophy a little further right than your average voter -- "Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction" -- but was also a little weird. Ryan, the Wisconsin congressman and Republican budget wonk, has got tough competition to be Mitt Romney's running mate. There's the equally dreamy Marco Rubio, not to mention the pleasantly boring Rob Portman. So Ryan needs to fix any weaknesses. That's why Ryan gave a big foreign policy address last year, why he talked about his humble beginnings "flipping burgers" earlier this month, and probably why he's distancing himself from Ayn Rand. It's a genius spin, really -- not only does he reject her, he rejects her for socially conservative reasons!

Link
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Geezus what's next? Will he pretend to reject the KKKoch Brothers too? Maybe if he really wants to convince people he's not an extremist nutbag, he'll renounce his own fascist budget proposals, then go back to Wisconsin and campaign for who ever the Democrats pick to remove that other KKKoch flunkie piece of shit from the governor's mansion.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

The VP pick is usually some brainless twit or a evil mastermind. You get either a complete idiot like Joe Biden or you get this really crafty mastermind like Dick Cheney. You either get someone who stays the hell out of the way or you get the ventriloquist of the dummy president. Maybe George HW Bush told Cheney "My son is a real idiot but we pulled enough strings in the system to shoe him into the oval office. Dick. Would you please stick your hand up my son's ass and further our New World Order plan? We ain't going to get that thousand points of light with George Jr really running the show. You might pick Rumsfeld as a cabinet member to help you out. And oh yeah, put some black person on the staff just to make things look more balanced."
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, in Eddie Munster Ryan's case, he would be the brainless twit who is the puppet of the Stalinist KKKoch Brothers.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Amazing how these oil barons could do business behind the iron curtain. Armand Hammer was the same way. Why? Like the Nazis, the communists were backed by western oligarchs. The Rockefellers were going into China and doing deals with chairman Mao before China opened up. I was told by a guy who worked in naval intelligence that he discovered the US was actually supporting Mao in secret while we were supporting Chaing Kai Shek in the open. This floored him and he thought about exposing it but was told to destroy his evidence because if he did try and expose it, he probably would be locked up. It's amazing what comes out when people holding secrets get old and just don't give a fuck anymore. They finally get off their chest what has been bothering them all those years.

There always was a plan to tear down the US while building China up. To make the world more even so it eventually could be ruled by oligarchs. The thing is they never can seem to control some of the people they put into power. Hitler went off script and became a loose cannon. The Chinese are doing their own thing. The EU seems to be coming apart. Really, the big oligarch stronghold now sadly is the US. We need to bust that up somehow.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ryan - Is he a man or is he a muppet?

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

All these stuffed suit assholes wear a flag pin on their lapel. He actually looks like he type of fuckwit that comes strolling out when you are looking at cars and hovers around you when you are just fucking looking. Then you actually find yourself leaving even though you want to stay and look but he's hanging around, he won't go away and you really don't want to go for a fucking test drive or get a sales presentation.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

To be fair it seems that if they don't wear a flag pin some asshole in the media starts having a go at them, it's pathetic.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Notice it didn't take long for the media to pull up every past kiss-ass statement Ryan made regarding Rand and prove he's completely full of it...
                  Originally posted by conmee
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                  Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                  I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                  Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                  Originally posted by eddie78
                  I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Ryan may well reject Rand's religious views, but all his fiscal proposals reek of Rand's view that, in essence, the top 1% are better than the remaining 99% and the 99% are just a bunch of parasites who owe their existence to the kindness of the 1%.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Mitt romney announces vice presidential candidate in norfolk saturday

LINK

MITT ROMNEY ANNOUNCES VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE IN NORFOLK SATURDAY

Boston, MA – On Saturday, Mitt Romney will begin his “The Romney Plan For A Stronger Middle Class” bus tour by announcing his choice for Vice Presidential candidate in Norfolk, Virginia. The following events are open to the press. Please note that the tour of the USS Wisconsin and Homemades by Suzanne drop by are pool coverage.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Event: Governor Romney Tours USS Wisconsin

1 Waterside Drive

Norfolk, Virginia

Program Time: 8:45 AM EDT

Stephen F. Hayes and William Kristol report that Romney is preparing to pick Paul Ryan.

Last edited by BigBadBrian; 08-11-2012, 08:12 AM.
                      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• fourthcoming

Fuck Romney AND Nobama.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Watch Obama get schooled by Paul Ryan:

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Did you go down there Brian?

I passed....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Just a reminder that the anti-government Ayn Rand who @reppaulryan says inspired him to seek office, ended up on Social Security + Medicare— Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) August 11, 2012
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...