X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thetruthbaby
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2004

VH ALBUM SALES (Basically for Hagar fans

I saw a couple of replies to my post about VH's album sales and although most people know (here) it always surprises me at how many people don't know the numbers or where they come from. For those of you who don't or dispute it (Hagar fans) here's the skinny. The RIAA or The Recording Industry Association of America is the END ALL AND BE ALL for album sales and certifications. When an album is certified gold, platinum, or multi-platinum it is this entity (RIAA) that does it. There are actual sales audits involved from law firms to ensure the tally is correct. You can go to their website (Hagar fans) and read em' and weep. It's at www.riaa.com. Make sure you scroll all the pages because different albums were re-certified in different years but if you study the site one thing is clear, VH have sold many more albums with ROTH and 5150 was only about half as successful as 1984. The old "it charted at #1" doesn't show the fact that it only sold around half as much. Actually in my original post I included recently added numbers for the Hagar era that were listed on Blabbermouth.com as a couple of titles have been re-certified although the RIAA site has not been updated to reflect these new totals yet. The total sales are as follows:
    VH1 10 million
    VHII 5 million
    WACF 3 million
    FAIR WARNING 2 million
    DIVER DOWN 4 million
    1984 10 million
    Roth Total--- 34 million

5150 6 million
    0U812 4 million
    FUCK 3 million
    LRHRN 2 million
    BALANCE 3 million
    Hagar Total----- 18 million

VHII, Balance, 5150, & OU812 were recently re-certified according to Blabbermouth but RIAA hasn't updated the site yet. Even with the new totals (which actually benefit Hagar more) it's still NO CONTEST. Oh by the way, don't give me the changeover to CD bullshit, VHagar benefited from this as well. CD's didn't become the major source of purchased music until around 1990 so 5150 and 0U812 both benefitted from re-purchase.
    DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER
  • DLR_EngineRoom
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Right On, brutha from a different mutha!
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Sarge
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

The only reason why some people think Van hagar era sold more than Dave era is because Sammy constantly runs his fat mouth about it every chance he gets.
      Deep down he must know that he was beat 2 to 1 in sales by Dave.
      ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
      The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
      [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• moose
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

but still

Most of the albums were purchased by Classic Van Halen fans just out of curiosity(I for one went no where near them and am glad to say after 20 yrs I still haven't) but as you can see they all went down hill from there. van gaygar=" fuckin joke" and a bad one at that.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sarge
          The only reason why some people think Van hagar era sold more than Dave era is because Sammy constantly runs his fat mouth about it every chance he gets.
          Deep down he must know that he was beat 2 to 1 in sales by Dave.
          He must have been to tired to realize it. After all, according to him, he's played over 5,000 gigs since he left Van Halen from 1996 to 2003.

Never mind that there aren't as many days in that number of years as there are claimed gigs.

Lying tub of deep-fried red cheese. Ed, Al and that mute fencesitter Mike Anthony deserve that fat fucker.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Rebel
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Feb 2004

Re: VH ALBUM SALES (Basically for Hagar fans

Quite a difference between the two on average:

Roth Era - 5.67 million/album
            Hagar Era - 3.6 million/album

Pretty impressive IMO for both eras, since we're apparently in the mood to blow serious dust off of all these old numbers. I'm gonna be very interested in the sales of their first new full length album when they do it. BOBW will sell well, probably better than BOV1, but I'm ready to see if they can be some part of the music scene today.
            The BLASTFurnace turned me into a bitch

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Re: Re: VH ALBUM SALES (Basically for Hagar fans

Originally posted by Rebel
              Quite a difference between the two on average:

Roth Era - 5.67 million/album
              Hagar Era - 3.6 million/album

Pretty impressive IMO for both eras, since we're apparently in the mood to blow serious dust off of all these old numbers. I'm gonna be very interested in the sales of their first new full length album when they do it. BOBW will sell well, probably better than BOV1, but I'm ready to see if they can be some part of the music scene today.
              Not with Sammy Gaygar they can't!

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

I don't think BOBW will sell anywhere NEAR what BOV1 sold. Those two new Dave songs carried that set to over two million. No way does the new set even hit multiplatinum.

Comment

• dysfunction
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                  Those two new Dave songs carried that set to over two million.
                  Humans Being

Comment

• MAX
                    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dysfunction
                    Humans Being

Oh yeah, riiiiiiiiiight? I remember the whole hoopla when that came out and people weren't fucking talking about "Humans Being!!!"

You are most certainly living up to your title of Town Idiot!!! Keep up the good work and don't make me call out the fucking penguins!!! LOL! :p
                    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Humans Being????? If you wanted that song bad enough, you could have bought the Twister soundtrack. You didn't have to wait for the BOV1.

Comment

• dysfunction
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                        Oh yeah, riiiiiiiiiight? I remember the whole hoopla when that came out and people weren't fucking talking about "Humans Being!!!"
                        So you are telling me that MWM just blew Humans Being away. Because if I remember correctly, Humans Being was and still is played more than MWM.

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

I haven't heard HB since '96.

Comment

• MAX
                            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dysfunction
                            So you are telling me that MWM just blew Humans Being away. Because if I remember correctly, Humans Being was and still is played more than MWM.
                            Well, yes and yes!!!

Seriously, I don't hear either played on the radio anymore. They played MWM a lot when it first came and very rarely nowadays but I've never heard Humans Being on the radio? Not in '96 or since? Idunno? :confused:
                            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Simple common sense says the Dave songs carried it because like was said, Human's Being was on the Twister soundtrack and was over with by the time BOVI came out.

To say Human's Being carried BOVI is just wrong.

Comment

Working...