X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Steve Vai Interview on DLR

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.

Let’s talk about the David Lee Roth years when you joined the band. Bassist Billy Sheehan said that Steve Stevens of Billy Idol was originally considered for the guitar player of that group, and it didn’t work out. Do you know if anyone else was in the running before you came aboard?

There were some other guys, but I don’t remember who they were. When I came in, I think I was the only one at the time that was being considered. I think they had spoken to a couple of guys. I don’t know if they had ever gotten together with them, but when I was there I was just like, “Okay, if you like it, here it is.” (Laughs)

What was your songwriting process with Dave like? Were there any similarities that he might have mentioned to you that compared with how he worked with Van Halen?

In a band situation, usually everyone’s contribution is accepted. When I was with Dave—I’m not exactly sure how they did it with Van Halen—I would come in with riffs or a song, or maybe somebody in the band would come in with a song, and Dave would either like it or not, and then we’d present him another song, and we’d work on it a bit and maybe shape it, and then at some point once the track was done, or at least written, Dave would take it and write lyrics.

What did Frank Zappa think of your work with Dave? Did you ever discuss that with him?

No. I never heard Frank comment on my work with Dave Roth, but he did say that I should invite Dave over his studio sometime.

That would have been interesting.

Yeah. Oddly enough, the first time I ever met Edward [Van Halen] was back in the ’80s when I was in Frank’s band, and Edward was a big Frank fan. I had met Edward at a club and he found out I was with Frank. I gave him my phone number and said, “If you ever want to meet Frank, I’m sure he would be interested in seeing you.” He called me the next day—it was so bizarre, and he went up to the house and we all jammed. It was really cool.

I wonder what became of that.

I don’t think it was recorded.

Regarding the song “Yankee Rose,” were there actually any words ever considered or written for that guitar conversation you had with Dave for that?

Yeah, there were some words I was thinking in my mind, but I can’t remember what they were. Something silly, you know. “David?” (Laughs)

It’s a great way to start a cut.

Yeah. When I joined the band—I have a very quirky, esoteric guitar nature, but I’m also a big fan of rock and metal. So when I joined that band, or any band that I join, I assess the situation and I come to grips with what I think the appropriate contribution would be, but I also have to be myself at some point. So in opening up the record and doing “Yankee Rose,” I thought, What can I do here that’s completely preposterous that’s very me but still has rock and roll integrity and people will get a kick out of it? And I always have the talking guitar thing in my arsenal, so it was the perfect opportunity to pull it.

The song “Ladies’ Nite in Buffalo?” has been called a real artistic achievement for Dave, and the lyrics are really interesting. Do you have any memories of how that song came together?

I had written that song and I had demoed it, and when I demoed it it had all of these guitars, all of these textures and keyboards, and Dave really liked it. When we took it into the studio, [producer] Ted Templeman said, “Okay, let’s lay down a basic track. Just go out there and play live as a guide guitar.” I thought, “There’s a lot of parts—how am I going to make them all work on one guitar?” [The guide guitar’s] intention was that it was going to be built up with all these other layers and stuff later, and Ted goes, “Well, there it is!” So that’s the part and that’s the song. There was a real kind of beautiful rawness and an in-your-face kind of intimacy that was much different from the very produced version that I had done. That’s how it turned out.

Do you have any idea what the title is supposed to refer to, with the question mark?

Exactly what it is…ladies’ nite in Buffalo, New York. That’s what it’s about, I guess (laughs). You’d probably be better off asking Dave.

The lyrics for the song “Big Trouble” are also open-ended. You could take it as a story of character sketches.

That’s the nice thing about lyrics. There’s lyricists who will create images, and the listener is left to their own imagination to put them together. I can’t speak for Dave, but I think that that was relatively influenced by his like of Tom Waits.

Talking about other debates in rock circles, people are always analyzing whether the original Eat ’Em and Smile band was better musically than the original lineup of Van Halen. What are your thoughts about this?

“Better” is such a subjective term, you know? I just don’t respond to these competitive comparisons. They’re useless and meaningless, because if it’s better for one person and not for another, then they’re both right. Your opinion is the important thing. You can never deny the immense talent, rock credibility and iconic historical contribution that Van Halen made. And Edward Van Halen is a guitar god of the highest order. I have immense respect and love for Edward, you know? I would probably be playing the guitar very differently if he never came along. He’s a totally inspired person.

When we started Eat ’Em and Smile, Dave got the best musicians he could, who he thought was the best. And I thought it was a hell of a band. It was one of my favorite times in my whole musical career, because we were rock stars, you know? And touring with somebody like Dave, you can’t even imagine what it was like. It was just glorious, man. And I knew it was fleeting, and I knew it was something that I wasn’t going to be doing my whole life, because my brand of music in my own head is very different. So, if you like Van Halen better than the Eat ’Em and Smile band, then you’re right. And if I like Eat ’Em and Smile better than Van Halen, then I’m right. But I don’t like one better than the other. The Eat ’Em and Smile band was fierce. And that’s it.

A lot of people like to adopt a sports mentality when it comes to this. They want to have winners.

Yeah, I know. And you know what, it’s a big fuc*ing bore after a while.

Sports is sports, but there’s all kinds of music out there.

It’s part of the process. We all have egos, and if a person responds to something that’s really interesting to them, their ego tells them this is better than everything else, and I’m right and you’re wrong. That’s something that if a person can get over, they’ll lift a big burden off their back. Because then you can appreciate everything…it doesn’t mean that vanilla is better than pistachio (laughs). If you’re playing basketball, if you get the most hoops, you with the game and you’re the best. It’s very different from music.

For Van Halen now, what are your thoughts about their reunion with Dave and the last studio record they put out, A Different Kind of Truth?

I was really happy to hear how great Edward was playing. I mean, I was afraid he was losing it; we were all concerned. But I think that he’s in really great form. As a matter of fact, he sounds as good as he ever has to me, and frankly, I’m hearing Dave hit notes that he couldn’t hit when I was recording him. And I think the record is really powerful—it’s kinetic. I can’t listen to the whole thing at one time because it’s almost too powerful, in a way. But I’m happy with it. I’m really happy for them and I’m glad to see them doing it.

What are your memories of working with David Lee Roth doing the main production?

It was hugely different. Ted Templeman is an amazing producer and he has a particular approach and it’s very raw, and that’s why Eat ’Em and Smile is so visceral. But when it came time to do Skyscraper, I was doing demos, and my demos sound really good because I had all of the right equipment and I’ve got a good ear. And when I started working with Dave in building the demos, they were great songs. I mean, they sounded like produced pieces of music. And then it was a surprise to me that he wanted to produce it and have it done with me, because although I enjoy doing it, I overproduce stuff, and my approach is a lot cleaner and a lot more sort of organized than the raw approach of someone like Ted Templeman. So the record definitely has a different slant to it, but I went along with it. I think that elements of that record are really good, but it has a completely different dynamic to it than Eat ’Em and Smile.

Billy Sheehan left the group after the album was finished. He said in interviews that he believes the demos were superior and a lot rawer.

Yeah, I tend to agree.

What kinds of things besides the overall polished sound did he feel was lacking?

Dave’s the kind of artist that wants to evolve a little bit, so he was taking some chances. It’s a much dryer record, you know? And it’s more produced—there’s more layers, there’s more keyboards, there’s more pop kinds of songs, you know. It’s not nearly as raw. And that was a direction that [Dave] consciously wanted to make, because he’s not an artist; he wants to evolve. And I’m capable of doing various things—I would have been very happy to take those tracks and have Ted Templeman produce them; they would have sounded very different. But, you know, we moved forward with what we did.

On “Just Like Paradise,” Dave said in his memoir: “The song had impact, and Steve just hated it. He didn’t want to play it.”

There you have it…that’s exactly how I felt. It was too “pop” for me, it was too Glee, you know? I didn’t resonate with it…“hate” is a strong word. I didn’t hate it; I enjoyed playing anything that I played in that band. It just wouldn’t have been my choice. But I still enjoyed it, and I think I did a great job on it.

You know, it’s funny; I never read the book, so I don’t know how I was represented...I love Dave, he was a mentor for me. You have no idea what I learned from that guy; you can only imagine. I have nothing but respect and he’s still a friend of mine, you know, and I don’t care what anybody says. But yeah, I wasn’t a fan of that song. I didn’t like it when it was written; I tried not to get it on the record. [Dave] liked it and I did my best with it.

Of course you introduced the triple-necked heart shaped guitar to the world in the song’s video.

That was kind of my brain thing: What can I do to this song to make it theatrical on my part and a little more interesting. I don’t think it’s a bad song; it’s funny that I went to see that movie Rock of Ages and then they use that song and I’m like, Oh fine, one of the songs is on the record I didn’t write they’re using (laughs)…it was charming.

The song “Skyscraper” is an instrumental tour de force. Did that one not change too much from the demo?

We used the demo; that’s what we came to master, because that’s a very Vai-esque song, it’s a little esoteric; it flows a certain way, and I remember I wanted it, the solo I put on it was just a one-take kind of thing as a placeholder and I was going to go redo the solo and Dave said, “No, it’s a great solo, leave it.” So that, of any song that I’ve ever contributed to Dave, I think that the song “Skyscraper” is more Vai-esque than the others, although I really love “Hina.” That’s a great track.

The original title for that one was “Tahina,” wasn’t it?

Oh, it might have been. I can’t remember the working titles of tracks, but I love the lyrics and how he wrote that. It was very ethereal and beautiful. Hina is the moon goddess in Hawaii, I believe, or Tahiti, and Dave has a real soft spot for Tahiti. I just love the lyrics in that.

And that technique you had with the microsecond delay in the speakers so you’re playing against yourself. Do you think songs like that and “Skyscraper” set up your solo career to come?

Yeah, more so than most other songs, yeah. It was me being more myself, and you can tell, because they’re not very straight ahead rock songs, and it’s a credit to Dave that he’s open. Even “Damn Good”—when I played that for Dave I said, “Here’s something that I was working on for one of my records,” and he said, “I want that…it’s beautiful,” and he was really moved by it, and I love the way it came out.

But you know, I’m not a commercial guy. You have to have a particular ear to really appreciate the kind of thing I do sometimes, and on Skyscraper there’s more of that than on Eat ’Em and Smile. And Dave accepted those things as part of how he wanted to evolve. And some people really got it, and others said (sarcastic tone), “Oh, this isn’t Eat ’Em and Smile.” And, well, whatever.

Is it true that at the end of “Skyscraper” the backwards message says “listen to your parents”?

(Laughs) “…And use a condom.” (Laughs) It says, “Obey your parents and use a condom.” That’s funny.

Good old Dave.

You’re a big Roth fan, I take it.

Well…I do my research.

I’ve given you more on it than I’ve given anybody else.

Thank you. I don’t want to waste all of this.

I guess I should write a book someday (laughs).
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • chuckjitsu
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

The Army moves fast! Read these this morning and was going to post them, but no need. There was also an interview with Sheehan there as well where he talked above his Dave era- good stuff.

Comment

• Yount
      Commando
      • Jan 2012

That should help gag a few Skyscraper-haters.

Steve Vai sounds like a great guy.

Comment

• Momshell
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Cool interview. I never heard about that backward message at the end. Funny shit!
        Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

What a fan-fucking-tastic read! Wish it would've gone on and on...
          I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• Momshell
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

I'm doing a Q&A with Vai on 9/11. Was gonna ask what he thought of ADKOT. Any other ideas for questions he hasn't answered a gazillion times already?!
            Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

Great read
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Momshell
                I'm doing a Q&A with Vai on 9/11. Was gonna ask what he thought of ADKOT. Any other ideas for questions he hasn't answered a gazillion times already?!
                It's not the greatest question but I'd be curious to know Steve's take on the dynamic within the band immediately after Sheehan's departure. Perhaps whether or not he felt any animosity with Dave or was it more like "this is Dave's baby" so to speak.
                I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                  The Army moves fast! Read these this morning and was going to post them, but no need. There was also an interview with Sheehan there as well where he talked above his Dave era- good stuff.

Dave related:

You’ve also played with Aerosmith.

We did some shows with them in Europe and they were really successful; nice bunch of guys, too. Yeah, I don’t know—maybe Mr. Big and a couple of other acts; Tesla, maybe, or Cinderella, or guys like that—our generation of bands. In the end, it’s not so much a concern other than the fact that we just want to play.

There’s always Van Halen, right?

[Laughs] That’d be good.

Have you spoken to David Lee Roth since he got back together with Van Halen in 2007?

Not since then; I spoke with him just prior to that. He’s still my hero, you know? I still love Dave, and I still look back at the Eat ’Em and Smile days as one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.

This year also marks the 25th anniversary of Eat ’Em and Smile’s release. Has there ever been any plan to reform that group, with or without Dave?

Not that I know of. Maybe some talk that was generated that I didn’t hear about. There’s been no plans, but it’s something where I keep a candle lit, you know? Even if it was just three or four shows or eight or ten shows, it would just be a riot, because all of us—myself, Steve Vai and Gregg [Bissonette]—we are still very close friends, and the stories we tell from those days are just incredible. And all of us love Dave; he was the man. He was the biggest rock star in the world when we were working with him, and that was just an incredible trip.

What do you think of the chemistry in Van Halen now that Eddie’s son Wolfgang is on bass? Did you see them on tour?

You know, I didn’t go. To me—no offense, I love Ed and Al and Dave—but to see Mike [Anthony] not there kind of threw me a little bit, and I’m sure Wolfie’s a great player, a fine player, and a good kid. But I’m a fan, and I want to see the original lineup, you know? It was sad to see that Michael wasn’t there. I don’t know; I saw some bootleg video footage and bootleg audio, and it sounded pretty good. Eddie was killing, and Dave’s voice was in great shape. Dave’s really killing on the show I heard, and Wolfie plays bass great. But it’s just a fact that I would have really liked to see Michael up there.

I went to their show at Madison Square Garden, but something was missing.

Heartbreaking, heartbreaking. Again, I wish them well and it’s great for Wolfie; he’s Ed’s son, so that’s great. They were looking for somebody else to play bass, and I get the connection. But, you know, Michael’s an awesome player and a great vocalist, and he was the guy, you know? Hopefully, who knows what the future may bring.

What was it like when your band Talas opened for Van Halen on their 1980 tour?

It was like a Ph.D. in show business. I mean, we got to see some stuff that we had no idea, you know, that show business worked that way. And we saw [Van Halen] so consistently awesome, that on their worst night they were merely spectacular, these guys [laughs]—it was like a military operation. They’d get up and hit that stage, and man—that machine would kick in, amazing. From the openings to the banter between songs, Dave’s storytelling and Eddie’s spectacular playing, the whole band, the groove, and oh—it was just amazing. I look back on it as one of the luckiest things that ever happened; we opened for them about 30 or 40 shows in 1980—oh, God, it was amazing. I came off that tour knowing so much more about how it’s supposed to work [laughs] than I ever could have imagined on my own.

How did you get picked to open that tour?

There was a woman named Barbara Skydel with Premiere Talent in New York City, a booking agent, that booked Van Halen, the Who, a lot of the huge acts. We showcased for them in New York City for them to become our agents and to book us. Unknown to us, they sent our demo tape to Van Halen, who wanted kind of an unknown opening act, but somebody who’s not going to, you know, blow it. And they said yes—we had no idea that we were even in line for it! So the Talas guitar player [Dave Constantino] pulled up to pick me up for a gig and he had a bottle of champagne with him…he broke the news, we freaked out. When we did the shows they were actually pretty cool with us; they let us do a couple of encores and we did really well in front of the crowd. To this day, I get e-mail from people that saw that show.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Ask him what he thinks of his old chum, Satch, playing with our good buddy (not really), the round rocker.

Comment

• katina
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2012

Great interview, thanks

I was listening to Eat´em and Smile and Skyscraper during the weekend, and I was very lucky to see that amazing band live

Comment

• VHscraps
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2009

He usually gets asked Dave questions, understandably so - maybe ask him about Eddie and the Dweezil Zappa 1982 single, 'My Mother Was a Space Cadet'. Ask him if he was there. He introduced the two, and was Dweezil's guitar teacher at that point. Dweezil had a band, composed of him on guitar and a bunch of other of 12-year olds, called Fred Zeppelin or something.

He may get sick of answering questions about Dave and Van Halen!

I used to subscribe to Guitar Player in the early 80s, and Vai often did transcriptions and maybe had a column - can't quite remember. Ask him if you can make money doing that!!

Or, ask him about playing the part of the Devil's guitarist in the movie Crossroads, and doing that famous duel at the end (with Ry Cooder doing the slide parts of that Karate Kid kid who was playing the other guitarist). Ask him how that came about? What does he think of Ry Cooder as a composer of film music?!

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• vaijuju
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2008

Unreleased songs with dave ? any live recorded when he was with DLR, Devin Townsend ?
                          Last edited by vaijuju; 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM.
                          http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
                            IOr, ask him about playing the part of the Devil's guitarist in the movie Crossroads, and doing that famous duel at the end (with Ry Cooder doing the slide parts of that Karate Kid kid who was playing the other guitarist). Ask him how that came about? What does he think of Ry Cooder as a composer of film music?!

Those are the questions right there. Wasn't he flying back and forth to do those scenes - were they cutting the record at the same time he was doing the movie?
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                              Those are the questions right there. Wasn't he flying back and forth to do those scenes - were they cutting the record at the same time he was doing the movie?
                              Yeah - seem to remember something like that. He was either flying in and out during the Roth tour for EEAS, or he was flying in and out from that tour to do the sessions for Public Image Ltd's Album.

I used to really like that latter album, actually, and Vai plays real good, but also fairly restrained stuff on it. An excuse to post this cut from the album, 'FFF'.

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Working...