Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Worst of their career too, it was a terrible album.

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Indeed.

Shame, really. I like Whitesnake a lot, but the pre-1987 stuff is superior to my ears. Too much pomp and sheen afterwards....
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

I heard the cool million story , but if u gotta make one shite album to give yourself the artist freedom After that I can see why he went for it
        Reading the interview he admits or alludes to the fact his ideas are to left field for mainstream rock maybe it was his chance to finance more of his "thing"
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
          Ask Vai what he thinks about Templeman's desire to insert the Red Rockin' Douche into Van Halen in 1978 and kick Dave to the curb?

Steve is a nice guy --- but I'd love to hear his unedited, uncensored answer to this inflammatory question!
          don't ask Vai that. that would be about as douchey as the crap that TMZ "reporters" ask.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• TJMKID
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            don't ask Vai that. that would be about as douchey as the crap that TMZ "reporters" ask.

It's not douchey at all --- Templeman is officially on record (and Aucoin) as saying he wanted Roth out and Hagar in before they released the debut album.

Vai worked with Dave and has valued opinions about the iconic inflluence of Van Halen --- I'd like to hear this thoughts about slimebag Templeman.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Vai is gonna take the high road and not say anything bad about anyone. he's always been like that. it'll turn out to be three or four sentences of "i've never heard that" or "that was before my time with Dave so i don't know," and a waste of the guy's time.

if you don't think it's douchey, then YOU ask Vai...
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah it's a thing that always annoys me with interviewers when they don't think through 'What possible answers could I get to this question?'.

If you ask a question that cannot result in an interesting answer don't bother asking it.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Didn't Vai's journal from the EEAS tour used to be up here? Or was that over at DDLR...
                  American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                    Vai is gonna take the high road and not say anything bad about anyone. he's always been like that. it'll turn out to be three or four sentences of "i've never heard that" or "that was before my time with Dave so i don't know," and a waste of the guy's time.

I'm just tired of guys like Templeman getting a free pass ---- somebody with cred needs to call him out on his bullshit.

At least Aucoin finally manned up and publicly admitted it was a lousy decision to not sign Van Halen. That's the least you can do before you kick the bucket.

Comment

• vaijuju
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2008

With Whitesnake Vai had a part solo 10/15 minutes for playing "Passion and Warfare", I can't imagine DLR let him the same way!
                      http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• Monkeeman
                        Groupie
                        • Jul 2012

I think Vai joined Whitesnake for 2 reasons, it was a chance to showcase the Passion and Warfare album, Whitesnake always have had solo spots in the live show and the big pay check helped too. Coverdale needed Vai to bail him out and try to rescue the Slip of the Tongue album. Vai was given carte blanche and stressed that live he would play ALL solos. He told Coverdale that he was a lead guitarist and not a rhythmn guitarist. I know I am probably in the minority but I quite like the Slip of the Tongue album. Saw Whitesnake with Vai at Donington 1990 and while the critics slated their performance I enjoyed it.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          When that film came out, I (and about a million or so other guitarists) went out looking to buy the soundtrack. The disappointment at finding the guitar duel had not been included was considerable, until it was later discovered that for one reason or another (ego?), Cooder had left it off the album because he had nothing to do with it. Vai played both parts, which in a nutshell created the film's climax and outclassed everything that came before it.

Well, I have heard BOTH sides of that story. Momshell, that is a question to ask him. Can he set the record straight about who played Lightning Bwah's guitar parts in the duel?

Common wisdom is that Vai of course did all his own "stunt guitar" as Legba's hot-shot guitarist, and also played the Paganini bit at the end (for Ralph Macchio), while it was Ry Cooder who played all the bluesy slide stuff during the duel and other parts of the film.

Then you have this, courtesy of Arlen Roth, who got screwed when it came down to his credits on the film:

Crossroads

Right around early 1984, just when we had created the first Hot Licks videos, by myself and John Entwistle, I received a call from Hollywood film Director, Walter Hill about a new film he was making starring Ralph Macchio. It dealt with the Blues, the legend of Robert Johnson, and many styles of guitar playing. They wanted Ralph to be truly believable as a guitarist in many genres for this film, so Ry Cooder, the film's musical director told Walter Hill "I was the man" to teach him, and to create the parts he would "mime" to throughout much of the film. This was very exciting news to me, as Ry Cooder had originally bumped me from an opening slot on his 1980 European tour (while we were actually working on a book together!), because my album, "Hot Pickups", was a #2 hit in the UK at the time, and apparently he didn't want any competition! (this was at least what my manager at the time said, when we got the bad news!). Anyway, getting this call from Walter Hill, and then from Ry, surely seemed like Cooder was "making it up to me" (Tom Wheeler of Guitar Player Magazine still contends that it was HE who got me the Crossroads gig!!).

CrossroadsAnyway, almost immediately, I started going to Ralph's home in Long Island 4 days a week. And taught him for 2 hours a day! (his Karate coach for Karate Kid 2 always came in after me!!) This went on for about 2 months, and I taught him electric and acoustic blues, fingerpicking, slide guitar, and even classical guitar! His room was covered with a collection of my guitars!! Ralph and I became very close, and we had a ball. What a great student!! Of course, he only had to get good enough to 'fake" to the parts I played in the film, even though he was determined to play the guitar in the movie, he soon realized that was too tall an order for him to accomplish in such a short time. We worked with the script, which of course, kept changing as we went along, and I wanted to be sure he had enough of a "vocabulary" on the guitar, so that I could create pieces for the flm that he could look believable playing. This proved to be invaluable, as many times, Walter Hill would request pieces of music "out of the blue" for certain scenes, that I had to create and play right there on the spot; sometimes right in the middle of the peace and serenity of a Mississippi Delta field or swamp!!

After 2 weeks of initially recording some tracks in L.A., with me and Ry Cooder, Jim Keltner and Jimmy Dickenson, I went down for 6 weeks of location shooting in Mississippi, that had to be some of the most amazing times of my life! Location shoots, especially in such a "real" enviroment like the Mississippi Delta, simply can't be equalled when it comes to giving a film a true sense of authenticity, and it really brought all of us so closely together. Truly an experience none of us will ever soon forget. The actors such as Joe Morton, Joe Seneca, Jamie Gertz, Ralph, the crew, the other musicians, such as Juke Logan, (the harmonica coach) and I became incredibly close, and had a blast! It was so much fun, hanging out in Miss., going to old pawn shops, finding cool guitars (many of which I actually used in recording the music for the film), eating barbeque, and on and on!

Some of the real blasts for me were the times that Walter Hill would suddenly stand up and say, "Arlen, you direct this scene; you know a hell of a lot more about what's going on than me!!" So sure enough, I'd take over the Director's chair, sometimes right in the middle of a Miss.cottonfield, and start directing!!! Man, when the whole crew suddenly shifts gears and starts looking at you as Director, it's quite a feeling.one I won't forget ever! Great experience, and I thank Walter Hill for that opportunity.

One of the nights in Greenville, Miss., I decided to go out and sit in at a local juke joint. It seemed like I was the first white guy to play there in quite some time. Ralph wanted to come along for the experience, and was so blown away by watching me jump up on that stage, that he wanted the same kind of scene written into the film, which of course, happened! It was as if the REAL experience of being in Delta Blues country was actually seeping into the very core of the film, and was making it that much more real. The band I sat in with was "Frank Frost and the Wonders", along with Son Thomas, and when Ry heard that it was them, he insisted that we use them in the film for those scenes! We would even throw impromptu jam session parties while shooting, and we'd all play together for hours! What a time! They actually re-created the bar for the Hollywood shoots.so much so, that Frost walked in and ordered a beer, forgetting he was now on a artificial movie set in LA!! The bar they re-created was one in Indianola, where I sat in with Albert King. He had agreed to do a Hot Licks video for me, so I secured the "Crossroads" film crew for it, had the money wired in, and was ready to go at his motel the next morning; one problem, though, Albert supposedly "forgot", and he had already split for St. Louis!!! As Juke Logan would always say, "another blues mess!" What a shame that tape was never shot!

After the many weeks of amazing times in Mississippi, we had to go back to L.A.. We continued to shoot on sets that were built to retain the continuity of the scenes we shot on location in Mississippi. This included the Steve Vai "ending" which was quite controversial. Since I was also hired as musical consultant for the film in an overall sense, I was totally against having Vai in this scene. We had already recorded the original ending "duel", and it was a much more "true to the script" slide guitar duel between me and Ry Cooder. You can imagine how great THAT sounded!! It was a movie about the Blues, not Heavy Metal, and I was furious that the film's Producers and Directors were giving in to this mid '80s Heavy Metal "hair band" nonsense. They would say to me, "but Arlen, this is 1985", and I'd say "yes, and you're permanently dating the movie as such, rather than letting it be more timeless". Don't get me wrong here, I mean, Steve Vai and I became lifelong friends as a result of working together on this film, and we had such a blast that we often got thrown off the set for giggling too much!! ( we still call each other the "mojo men" due to us cracking up during this one scene where Joe Seneca kept blowing the line "This is the mojo bag"!!..we'd laugh so hard they had to remove us from the premises!!). I just wanted the film to retain the authenticity it so needed. Walter Hill wanted the end to be more of a "boxing match" as he put it, so I guess it had to be the blues version of the Karate Kid, starring Ralph Macchio!!! This all disappointed Cooder quite a bit, too, as he was supposed to be "on camera" for the part Vai eventually played in the film. The scene originally opened also with Vai cutting down Shuggie Otis (onetime guitar phenom and son of the renowned LA blues bandleader, Johnny Otis), but after many days of shooting, it ended up on the cutting room floor, because they said it was not politically correct to have a white guy beating a black guy. Hey, I though he was supposed to be the devil!!! Anyway, that was sad, because it would've resurrected Shuggie's career. He and I did at least do a little Hot Licks audio project while I was there, and we had a great time together.

We kept on working on the film, I kept creating music for it, and Entertainment Tonite even did 2 special segments about my involment with the movie. While in LA, we had a Crossroads vs. The Terminator softball game that I won with a 3-run homer! One of the true highlights of the making of the film for me!!! Talk about the excess of filmmaking; they even created real uniforms for that one game! Meanwhile, things were starting to seem strange in Crossroads land..they still never signed my contract, even though I had now been working 5 months on the project. I was creating the music and playing it all, fully expecting the proper credits. I'd get thrown out of recording studios when I was supposed to be there working on the guitar parts for Ralph.it all got kinda weird, and secretive, and it seemed as if they were trying to keep something hidden from me. When the film finally came out, my songwriting and performance credits were not where they were promised to be, and it was really disheartening. Still, I got lots of mileage out of the film, lots of exposure, and Vai always mentioned in his interviews that I was the one who really created the guitar parts for the majority of the film. Bill Kanegiser did the classical playing throughout, and by the ending "duel" we were ALL involved in that music! Me, Ry, Vai and Bill, all part of the same guitar solos! I've still got the guitar from the film, along with many special other things they did for me, such as a special Crossroads strap, etc. It was a amazing ride, and despite some of the negatives, such as the credits mess-up, it was a personal and artistic experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime adventure!
                          Last edited by Hardrock69; 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                            Didn't Vai's journal from the EEAS tour used to be up here? Or was that over at DDLR...
                            I put up a link to them at his website but they are down at the moment.

It was mainly a couple of lines each day usually 'Marshall amp blew yet again during set, I played ok. I will never forget the things I saw tonight at the aftershow party.'

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

Yes. It WAS here, thanks to Sesh.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by vaijuju
                                With Whitesnake Vai had a part solo 10/15 minutes for playing "Passion and Warfare", I can't imagine DLR let him the same way!
                                Vai did have a six minute or so solo spot on the Skyscraper tour, something he called "Sunspots." it was removed from the set somewhere toward the end of the tour.

this was mentioned in a Musician magazine interview. i may have the mag somewhere still, i'll have to look.

Comment

Working...