Carter Helm aka The angel on the cover of, "1984".

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Carter Helm aka The angel on the cover of, "1984".

I know I mentioned him within another thread a few months ago. I thought this was a very interesting topic, and thought we should have a full discussion about this. Watch the youtube video.

Watch this incredible story behind the art work!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BWvKYwi8HkA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BWvKYwi8HkA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • TJMKID
    Veteran
    • Mar 2004

He's a friendly lookin' fella --- strangely enough, I can see the resemblance to the 1984 cover.

VH should be super cool and invite this dude and that kid who won the '84 "Lost Weekend with Van Halen" contest to appear at the next show, as well as the Hot for Teacher babe --- bring them out onstage to raucous applause and Dave says "DO YOU REMEMBER THESE PEOPLE?"

If that aint possible --- just invite WARF onstage to chug some Jack with Dave and appear in another official VH video!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Nov 2004

Sure the coolest cover ever.
      posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
      posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Thanks TJMKID, but it wasn't me on stage it was the entire Roth Army or anyone has been a member of the online community the past 13 years. I hope MAX got to see it all upstairs, it was his birthday after all.

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

The day of the drawing which became the now infamous album cover!

Comment

• hambon4lif
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by WARF
            I remember having to drive all the way to Northern Wisconsin to find a place that could enlarge this pic to a 2' x 3' (that's 2 feet by 3 feet, BTW) so I could hang it on the wall of my bar at home.
            People come over and recognize it and say "VAN HALEN!! I LOVE that fuckin' album!!"

It may not be their best album (that award, of course, goes to their first) but it is one of the coolest and most recognizable album covers of all time, by Van Halen...or anyone else for that matter.

A picture can say a thousand words...THAT one says a million. Pure art!

Comment

• WARF
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
              I remember having to drive all the way to Northern Wisconsin to find a place that could enlarge this pic to a 2' x 3' (that's 2 feet by 3 feet, BTW) so I could hang it on the wall of my bar at home.
              People come over and recognize it and say "VAN HALEN!! I LOVE that fuckin' album!!"

It may not be their best album (that award, of course, goes to their first) but it is one of the coolest and most recognizable album covers of all time, by Van Halen...or anyone else for that matter.

A picture can say a thousand words...THAT one says a million. Pure art!
              Not my favorite album either.

The last two tracks "girl gone bad" and "house of pain" are two of the most stellar tracks on the album.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

The last two tracks "girl gone bad" and "house of pain" are two of the most stellar tracks on the album.
                I'd have to agree.

Hot For Teacher and Drop Dead Legs are right behind them.

Panama is good, although these days if I had a choice I'd sooner listen to Top Jimmy (a track I was lukewarm on when the album first came out, but has grown on me over the years...plus, I've heard Panama too many times to the point where I'm burnt-out on it).

The synth tunes on the album were never that compelling to me. While I kinda liked Jump when it first came out, I doubt I'll ever consciously put it on to listen to it...or even willingly listen to it unless I'm at a VH show and they inevitably play it. I never warmed up to I'll Wait, and can easily imagine never hearing it again.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

The way Ed busts out of the gate at the end of "House Of Pain" makes this album worth having. Like unleashing a prize racehorse from its cage. Pretenders to the throne are pretty much fucked at that point. They should sell their guitar and take up another instrument, I guess.

I love this fuckin' album, but it just doesn't have the gusto that made me dig this fucking band like the first one had.

No band has ever come close to that....to this day!

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                    The way Ed busts out of the gate at the end of "House Of Pain" makes this album worth having. Like unleashing a prize racehorse from its cage. Pretenders to the throne are pretty much fucked at that point. They should sell their guitar and take up another instrument, I guess.

I love this fuckin' album, but it just doesn't have the gusto that made me dig this fucking band like the first one had.

No band has ever come close to that....to this day!
                    I always lament the end/fade out of House Of Pain, because I want to hear more of that sick jam!
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• WARF
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Alex is once again overshadowed by Eddie Van Halen this whole album.

Listen to Alex Van Halen's snare drum... it's ridiculously awesome!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

I wonder if he quit smokin' yet ? Girl Gone Bad & Teacher still tear my head off to this day. Isn't one of the girls in the Teacher vid married to the great one ?

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Alex is once again overshadowed by Eddie Van Halen this whole album.

Listen to Alex Van Halen's snare drum... it's ridiculously awesome!
                          I really dig what Alex Van Halen did on that album.

For some reason, the sounds of the cymbals on that album stand out to me...and the choices he made in terms of what he played...even the electronic drum work he did sounded good...appropriate in a way that for whatever reason wasn't the case when it was reprised on 5150.

Have always been partial to Alex's stuff on Van Halen II, Fair Warning and 1984 in terms of what he played and how it sounded.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• WARF
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                            I wonder if he quit smokin' yet ? Girl Gone Bad & Teacher still tear my head off to this day. Isn't one of the girls in the Teacher vid married to the great one ?
                            Yup. She one of the teachers is still HOT today!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MguAvIEqrCY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MguAvIEqrCY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

Their daughter isn't too bad lookin' either ! Lol.

Comment

Working...