Carter Helm aka The angel on the cover of, "1984".

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
    Their daughter isn't too bad lookin' either ! Lol.
    Here you go!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KQBQVabLGY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KQBQVabLGY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comment

• Northern Girl
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
      He's a friendly lookin' fella --- strangely enough, I can see the resemblance to the 1984 cover.

VH should be super cool and invite this dude and that kid who won the '84 "Lost Weekend with Van Halen" contest to appear at the next show, as well as the Hot for Teacher babe --- bring them out onstage to raucous applause and Dave says "DO YOU REMEMBER THESE PEOPLE?"
      I was 'friends' with Carter a few years back on another site. We chatted quite a bit. I didn't get the impression that he really followed the band; because he seemed genuinely shocked at how cool I thought it was to meet him and talk to him. To him he was just helping a family friend by taking the pictures. Didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal; although he was using the album cover as an av with a title that said 'yeah, that's me.' LOL.
      Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• TJMKID
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by WARF
        The last two tracks "girl gone bad" and "house of pain" are two of the most stellar tracks on the album.

Still makes me a little sad that Dave split in 1985 instead of 1992 when grunge and rap finally nailed the coffin lid on hard rock. VH was so fucking tight as a band in 1984 and tunes like "Girl Gone Bad" and "Drop Dead Legs" is all the proof anyone needs they could write killer songs in their sleep!

I'll swear to my dying day that if Dave stayed in the band until '92 and relations werent at the breaking point --- VH easily would have produced another 2 or 3 albums that would've reached "1984" success or damn close to it. They had so much momentum and hard rock was still a big market force until '92 that we'd all be talking about the "8 or 9 Pack" instead of the Six Pack of legendary albums.

Ohhh, what could've been.....

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

The eyechart is always alot easier to read if we had the chance to look at it again. The 'hindsight 20/20' nonsense.

I have to say....given the choice....I pick the "Eat 'Em And Smile" way of doing things as opposed to the mundane, suburban zombie "5150" way of doing things.

....it's why we're even here. It's definitely why I'm here!

Comment

• TJMKID
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
            The eyechart is always alot easier to read if we had the chance to look at it again. The 'hindsight 20/20' nonsense.

I have to say....given the choice....I pick the "Eat 'Em And Smile" way of doing things as opposed to the mundane, suburban zombie "5150" way of doing things.

....it's why we're even here. It's definitely why I'm here!

I doubt that "5150" would've turned out to be suburban fluff if Dave was involved. I like the music on songs like "Summer Nights" and "5150" (minus the electronic drums) and Dave's swag vocals on those tunes would probably match anything on "1984".

Oh well, none of us has a hot tub time machine so fuck it. Nice to dream, though.

Comment

• WARF
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Still makes me a little sad that Dave split in 1985 instead of 1992 when grunge and rap finally nailed the coffin lid on hard rock. VH was so fucking tight as a band in 1984 and tunes like "Girl Gone Bad" and "Drop Dead Legs" is all the proof anyone needs they could write killer songs in their sleep!

I'll swear to my dying day that if Dave stayed in the band until '92 and relations werent at the breaking point --- VH easily would have produced another 2 or 3 albums that would've reached "1984" success or damn close to it. They had so much momentum and hard rock was still a big market force until '92 that we'd all be talking about the "8 or 9 Pack" instead of the Six Pack of legendary albums.

I think OU812 would have sounded like a cross breed of that and skyscraper. I don't think it would have held up to the classic six pack. Both 5150 and 1984 still would have been synth albums. Now if you put Dave's vocals over the F.U.C.K. you probably would have had something really special. I don't listen to Van Hagar very much unless it's forced upon me, but I would have loved to hear Dave's vocals over POUNDCAKE or PLEASURE DOME.

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

I think OU812 would have sounded like a cross breed of that and skyscraper. I don't think it would have held up to the classic six pack. Both 5150 and 1984 still would have been synth albums. Now if you put Dave's vocals over the F.U.C.K. you probably would have had something really special. I don't listen to Van Hagar very much unless it's forced upon me, but I would have loved to hear Dave's vocals over POUNDCAKE or PLEASURE DOME.

It's really hard to say how any VH album with Dave would've turned out if he stayed until '92 or so. I agree with you that synth was so ingrained in Ed's mind by '84 that "5150" would still be synth-heavy, but definitely cooler with Dave's vocals on them. "OU812" is a lazy uninspired pile of shit so Dave could salvage that stink bomb by just farting in the studio. People claim that guitar solos were dead by '85, but GNR's "Appetite for Destruction" released in '87 and it had a lot of flashy guitar solos, so I think EVH could've still put out some jaw-dropping shit on us.

The only thing I liked about FUCK was they recorded the bottom end correctly. Sort of made up for ignoring it for 13 years. If nothing else, we wouldnt have VH history polluted with lyrics like "All you bad, bad boys get your mind blown! Dial 1-900-SPANKED".

Comment

• hambon4lif
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

The closest I ever got to pondering that was in '91. It would be if the music of F.U.C.K. would've been fused with the vocals, lyrics, and attitude of "A Little Ain't Enough". You want a killer fuckin' Van Halen album that could've been? There ya' go!

I think Andy Johns was in heaven working with a drummer like Alex, but I think he would've had a total blast working with Dave. (Sammy kept trying to fire the guy, which is why Warner Bros. sent Templeman in at the last minute in a desperate attempt to save the entire project.)

In '91, Dave didn't really have a band, he just had a badass guitarist who unfortunately came down with ALS. and Van Halen didn't really have a singer either, just a fatass loser with a bad case of greed.

F.U.C.K. + A Little Ain't Enough= BOOM!!

You fuse those two albums together, and you'd have the greatest Van Halen album that never was.

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

The closest I ever got to pondering that was in '91. It would be if the music of F.U.C.K. would've been fused with the vocals, lyrics, and attitude of "A Little Ain't Enough". You want a killer fuckin' Van Halen album that could've been? There ya' go!

I havent listened to ALAE in years but it had some good tunes -- title track and "Sensible Shoes" still hold up well to this day. With Ed and Al on that album, could've been of the last great hurrahs of hard rock. I would've loved to see Jason Becker on the ALAE tour if he didnt come down with ALS.

Speaking of hypotheticals --- how would "Amsterdam" and "Aftershock" sound like with Dave?

"Aftershock" kinda sounds like an updated version of "Girl Gone Bad" to me.
                    Last edited by TJMKID; 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

I havent listened to ALAE in years but it had some good tunes -- title track and "Sensible Shoes" still hold up well to this day. With Ed and Al on that album, could've been of the last great hurrahs of hard rock. I would've loved to see Jason Becker on the ALAE tour if he didnt come down with ALS.

Speaking of hypotheticals --- how would "Amsterdam" and "Aftershock" sound like with Dave?

"Aftershock" kinda sounds like an updated version of "Girl Gone Bad" to me.
                      Dave was writing some really cool shit around that time. If you looked at the lyric sheets of ALAE....even today, it would blow your fucking mind at just how awesome it was. He was, at that point, mastering the craft.

The only post-Roth Van Halen song I can bring myself to listen to is "Ballucitherium" or whatever the fuck, because it's an instrumental, and there's no Sammy in it.

Out of the 9 million reasons I hate and despise Sammy Hagar, the main one is that he tried to take my favorite band into a corporate rock. faceless, forgetful Journey, REO, Foreigner, Toto kind of existence where there are no real fans, only fickle ones.

Why Can't This Be Love?.....'cause my love is rotten to the core, motherfuckers!!

Comment

• WARF
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

What about Ed's solo from Humans Being?

Comment

• hambon4lif
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

What about Ed's solo from Humans Being?
                          What about it? Was that at the point where Ed had 3 solo spots to compensate for having a shit song?

I probably would've given Helen Hunt a real 'twister' that would've made her squirt across the room, but beyond that?.....meh!

Comment

• WARF
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

What about it? Was that at the point where Ed had 3 solo spots to compensate for having a shit song?

I probably would've given Helen Hunt a real 'twister' that would've made her squirt across the room, but beyond that?.....meh!
                            I thought humans being was the best Van Hagar song they ever made.

1) Sammy's voice songs distorted to the point where it doesn't really even sound like him.

2) The solo was one of the best Ed has ever done during humans being.

3) It was the end of Van Hagar, so can enjoy listening to it knowing that Sammy was out of Van Halen.

4) I never found Helen Hunt attractive, but I would still bang her!

Comment

• hambon4lif
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jun 2004

I never found Helen Hunt attractive, but I would still bang her!
                              I agree! It's really the deepest thought I've ever had regarding Van Hagar!

They made a song for a movie with that chick I might fuck!

Deep.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

4) I never found Helen Hunt attractive, but I would still bang her!
                                Yeah. If I was a river guide and took her down the salmon river for a few days I probably wouldn't find her all that attractive. The thing is if the door to my tent unzipped and she crawled in and started giving me horny looks and started taking her clothes off. My sleeping bag probably would end up with a wet spot in it.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...