X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Why 30 is really 45

Today's adults are so unhealthy they are 15 years 'older' than their parents and grandparents at the same age, researchers say.

Daily Mail

They are more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity than previous generations because of poor health, according to a study published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology.

Looking at 6,000 adults aged 20, 30, 40, 50 over a 25 year period, researchers found younger generations had poorer 'metabolic' health - a range of issues including blood pressure and weight.

The study revealed men in their 30s were 20 per cent more likely to be overweight than in previous generations, while women in their 20s are twice as likely to be obese than those 10 years ago.

Blood pressure also increased among the younger generation of both men and women, while younger blokes are more likely to have diabetes than their dads and granddads were.

Author Gerben Hulsegge, from the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, said the younger generation are '15 years ahead' in terms of 'metabolic' health.

He said: 'The more recently born adult generations are doing far worse than their predecessors.
    'For example, the prevalence of obesity in our youngest generation of men and women at the mean age of 40 is similar to that of our oldest generation at the mean age of 55.

'This means that this younger generation is '15 years ahead' of the older generation and will be exposed to their obesity for a longer time.

Women in their 20s are twice as likely to be obese than those 10 years ago, the research found
    'This firstly highlights the need for a healthy body weight - by encouraging increased physical activity and balanced diet, particularly among the younger generations.

'The findings also mean that, because the prevalence of smoking in high-income countries is decreasing, we are likely to see a shift in non-communicable disease from smoking-related diseases such as lung cancer to obesity-related diseases such as diabetes.

'This decrease in smoking prevalence and improved quality of health care are now important driving forces behind the greater life expectancy of younger generations, and it's likely that in the near future life expectancy will continue to rise.

'But it's also possible that in the more distant future, as a result of our current trends in obesity, the rate of increase in life expectancy may well slow down, although it's difficult to speculate about that. '

• Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Weird, I still feel 25 (going on 17)...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

i don't feel a day over 42, oh wait
      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

I am 46 and the healthiest I've ever been , I think you find as you get older you getter better at things .
        Lying to your self seems to be one of those things
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
          I am 46 and the healthiest I've ever been , I think you find as you get older you getter better at things .
          Lying to your self seems to be one of those things
          I wouldn't say I'm the healthiest I've ever been, but I'm definitely better off in that department (and in better shape) than I was say, 10 years ago...

You get to a certain point where you either have to start taking better care of yourself or resign yourself to totally falling apart... wasn't down with option 2.
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Realistically I am similar .
            If you look at the demographic on the board , mainly blokes who have spent a good part of their lives making music ,playing in bands it doesn't lend it's self to a healthy life style .
            Now we are a little older and a little wiser , well older certainly .
            We can't probably push it like we did , so have to make a few concessions to a least try and be healthy.

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Author Gerben Hulsegge, from the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, said the younger generation are '15 years ahead' in terms of 'metabolic' health.

He said: 'The more recently born adult generations are doing far worse than their predecessors.
              'For example, the prevalence of obesity in our youngest generation of men and women at the mean age of 40 is similar to that of our oldest generation at the mean age of 55.

'This means that this younger generation is '15 years ahead' of the older generation and will be exposed to their obesity for a longer time.
              Start by considering the source as being Dutch... not that the observations are not accurate. But they don't address the obvious basis for the change.

It would appear the study is flawed because it doesn't take into account the general availability of food and also the evolution of food processing and preparation. Crop yields have grown exponentially since this younger generation were born. This same increase was prevalent in the comparison older generation in their middle to later age groups.

I'd say everyone globally started getting fatter and developing more obesity and the associated health impacts at about the same time. When automation, crop yields and food processing technology put more on the table and everyone started eating more over all. So yeah people are exhibiting certain health effects 15 years earlier... and "exposed to obesity" for a longer period of time. Duh... access to food has never been so good for so many in the world... ever.
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Zing!
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by jhale667
                You get to a certain point where you either have to start taking better care of yourself or resign yourself to totally falling apart... wasn't down with option 2.
                Agreed. 39 was the year reality whooped me upside the head. It took very little before then to stay in relatively good health. Now I exercise regularly, stay away from processed foods as much as possible, get as much sleep as possible with two kids in the house, and save the beer for the weekend. I've even recently taken up meditation. How's that for some new age hippie shit?
                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                  Agreed. 39 was the year reality whooped me upside the head. It took very little before then to stay in relatively good health. Now I exercise regularly, stay away from processed foods as much as possible, get as much sleep as possible with two kids in the house, and save the beer for the weekend. I've even recently taken up meditation. How's that for some new age hippie shit?
                  For me it was suddenly becoming pre-diabetic, developing a thyroid condition, and generally feeling like shit. Had to cut out most sugar, a LOT of carbs and start exercising regularly. SO glad I did it. After a couple of years of that, lost a bunch of weight, thyroid levels are back to normal and usually my blood sugar levels test normally even w/o fasting... diabetes DOES run in my family, but my doc says at the rate I'm going I can at the very least stave it off for another 10-15 years. I'll take that.
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                    Start by considering the source as being Dutch... not that the observations are not accurate. But they don't address the obvious basis for the change.

It would appear the study is flawed because it doesn't take into account the general availability of food and also the evolution of food processing and preparation. Crop yields have grown exponentially since this younger generation were born. This same increase was prevalent in the comparison older generation in their middle to later age groups.

I'd say everyone globally started getting fatter and developing more obesity and the associated health impacts at about the same time. When automation, crop yields and food processing technology put more on the table and everyone started eating more over all. So yeah people are exhibiting certain health effects 15 years earlier... and "exposed to obesity" for a longer period of time. Duh... access to food has never been so good for so many in the world... ever.
                    It's what's in the food...

High fructose corn syrup - packs on the pounds faster than any other ingredient known to man...

Monosodium Glutamate - causes obesity depression, serious eye problems, fatigue, headaches, etc...

Trans Fats - this kills people, produced by hydrogenation which causes inflammation which is the cause of heart disease and all sorts of other bullshit, not cholestrol as we've been told...

Food Dyes - they cause cancer, period...

Nitrates and Nitrites - HIGHLY carcinogenic...

BHT and BHA - again, cancer...

Growth Hormone - breast cancer, prostate cancer, sterilite, early puberty, obesity...

Antibiotics in meat - creates resistance to other antibiotics in humans and creates bacteria resistant superbugs...

GMO - recent study shows huge tumors on lab rats eating GMO corn...

Aspartame - it's poison and now they want to put in milk with no labeling...

And the list goes on...

And people eat this garbage every day, several times a day...

It's all poison...

it's a wonder anyone makes it to 60 and beyond on today's american garbage...

Japanese people don't eat any of this shit...

Well, I'm sure some do, I've seem the McDonalds signs in Jap script...

But you have to know and avoid this stuff in order to live, people...

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

For me it was suddenly becoming pre-diabetic, developing a thyroid condition, and generally feeling like shit. Had to cut out most sugar, a LOT of carbs and start exercising regularly. SO glad I did it. After a couple of years of that, lost a bunch of weight, thyroid levels are back to normal and usually my blood sugar levels test normally even w/o fasting... diabetes DOES run in my family, but my doc says at the rate I'm going I can at the very least stave it off for another 10-15 years. I'll take that.
                      You can stave it off for life with precise, proper nutrition...

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        You can stave it off for life with precise, proper nutrition...
                        That's the idea...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

E, aboot a half a year ago, you posted a pretty decent and to the point list of what's good and what to stay away from. Think you can post that again? I meant to print it out. Thanks.

(This oughta be an indication of how thrilled I am with my current eating habits.)

Comment

• Zing!
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

After a couple of years of that, lost a bunch of weight, thyroid levels are back to normal and usually my blood sugar levels test normally even w/o fasting...
                            Whatever lifestyle changes it takes to keep your thyroid working properly, do it. Bad thyroids run in our family, and I've seen too many times what happens when a person has it zapped and then uses medication to take over its functions. I've managed to keep mine working fine by doing what I mentioned above. I'm also kind of fanatic about my blood pressure. My doc is always impressed at how low it is - generally 110/70.
                            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

I developed type 2 diabetes just after my 40th. Or more accurately that was when it came to light and it did run in my family.
                              If am honest my was my total disregard for any thing but doing gigs drinking as much beer as I could for years and years .
                              It took a while to reign it all in and no longer playing with the band strangely helped. Or not strange at all really .
                              I used to do a lot of martial arts but stopped when I got more in to music seriously so once I stopped the band/drinking on a professional level . I got back into serious getting fit .
                              I took up tae kwon do , started running again and gym a couple a times a week . And I still drink , i just trade it off with exercise .
                              Looking back am about two trousers sizes smaller now and 3 nearly 4 stone lighter .
                              But people say they can't really tell but I can , they can see ive lost weight but not that much . And i knew i was dodgey health wise and the reason I was feeling so shit wasn't always the hangovers.

Comment

Working...