The NHL Lockout...does anyone REALLY CARE?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lou

Well in the NFL, absolutely. How many games were done by replacement players, 4-6? MLB isn't as bad because they didn't use different players and they still played over half of a normal season, did they not?

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Un-cancelling the season would be absolutely pathetic.

Where were these players two weeks ago? You know where they were? They were playing in Sweden and other European leagues...busy taking paychecks away from the normal European players...

It's Bettemans fault, and it goes all the way back to the expansion in the early 90's. Once Disney bought a team, it was OVER. Then Disney bought ESPN...that's when Sports Center started to SUCK too.

If you are over 30 and not Canadian, how can you watch this NHL game? Clutch, grab, hold, interfere, illegal stickwork...goalies inflated like the Michelin Man...

It is a different game, friends. If you are young enough not to have known a time when players didnt have to wear helmets, then I am sort of envious of you. I was spoiled and watched the NHL back when it was real hockey.
      Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
        Un-cancelling the season would be absolutely pathetic.

Where were these players two weeks ago? You know where they were? They were playing in Sweden and other European leagues...busy taking paychecks away from the normal European players...

It's Bettemans fault, and it goes all the way back to the expansion in the early 90's. Once Disney bought a team, it was OVER. Then Disney bought ESPN...that's when Sports Center started to SUCK too.

If you are over 30 and not Canadian, how can you watch this NHL game? Clutch, grab, hold, interfere, illegal stickwork...goalies inflated like the Michelin Man...

It is a different game, friends. If you are young enough not to have known a time when players didnt have to wear helmets, then I am sort of envious of you. I was spoiled and watched the NHL back when it was real hockey.
        I hear ya bro, but I think they can make it a fairly productive season... And you can have just as many arguments with the Union, who saw the writing on the wall that the league was in financial trouble and couldn't keep operating as it was....

28 games, consisting of a home and away game with all Conference opponents, is exactly 1/3 of a normal season, with two months worth of playoffs, which I think most hockey fans agree, is really where their bread is buttered anyway... Playoff hockey is outstanding...

Expansion has watered the league down, although I think you'd get an argument from those fans in Nashville and Columbus and so on....

Now, if the deal is made today, Bettman has already said that major changes on ice are going to be made immediately.... I've read that includes PERMANENT ENFORCEMENT of the clutching/grabbing, elimination of the two line pass call, smaller goalie equipment, and moving the nets back....

Personally, I'm curious to see how much DirectTV is going to charge for a shortened NHL Center Ice package.... I believe the renewal rate was around 119 dollars for the year.... If you do the math, it SHOULD only be about 40 dollars for this year, which also includes the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs.... We'll just see about that, I have a feeling DirectTV will try to rip people off....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Full Bug
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Now, if the deal is made today, Bettman has already said that major changes on ice are going to be made immediately.... I've read that includes PERMANENT ENFORCEMENT of the clutching/grabbing, elimination of the two line pass call, smaller goalie equipment, and moving the nets back....
          Yeah well, I will believe that when I see it....How long have we been hearing that?
          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

The NHL should work out a deal Va...if they want to make the fans happy...to pay Direct TV to give it out for free for this season...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Lots of ifs there Va...to be honest...

but...

if the game gets more offensive...more flow would be a better term...

if the pads shrink...

if truly skilled defenseman are rewarded...rather than the thugs that just grab and hold...

if a lot of things...

you could see a hockey resurgence...

you see...here's the thing...

THE ONLY REASON why there's a meeting is spin...Goodenow and Bettman didn't realize that everyone would be calling for their jobs...

Bettman has placed himself in the pantheon of Selig...congrats Gary...you suck...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Lou

I wonder what's gonna be more embarassing, to come back with a season or not. Either way it's a joke when the commissioner says the season's off, and then there's still more negotiating. I guess it shows how much authority he really has.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Again...for him...and Goodenow...it's pretty neer 100% around the NHL land that both should be canned for taking shit for granted...

Goodenow thought it was ten years ago...

Bettman lost all his phone numbers...and forgot he was the commissioner...

either way...both suck ass...

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Va Beach...I agree, playoff hockey is the greatest.

In reading and listening to all the possible regular season and playoff scenarios, heres the thing that just kills me, and if they changed it, I would be back FULL TIME as an NHL fan...

16 teams will make the playoffs.

After playing 28-or-whatever games. Correct my math if its wrong, but if each round of the playoffs goes 7 games, then a team could play ANOTHER 28 games in the playoffs. (even if my math is wrong, its still 21 games...)

Thats embarassing. What a JOKE that would make of the 'regular season'. Now, 11 year old little Joey Suburbia from Anaheim with his $290 Paul Karia jersey (does he even play for Anaheim anymore?) will LOVE it, because the NHL has been made to cater to HIM.

Make it 8 teams in the playoffs, and I will be back...and I know that alot of other people will come back too.
                    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

...but I guess the NHL never has cared about the 'regular season', has it?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Isn't the regular season a joke anyways?...even more of a joke if what is being bantered about is true...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

lmfao PA...you beat me to the punch...

Comment

• Full Bug
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

All I know is I'm pissed because the Toronto Maple Leafs were finally going to take a run at the Cup this year...
                            Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Lou

They'd do better with a 50 game regular season and an 8 team playoff system.

They'd also do better by ELIMINATING 10 TEAMS.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

The talks have ended...with nothing gained...but more pissed off hockey fans...

well...that's not true...more apothetic hockey fans...

who gives a fuck...

big mouths...little minds...

Comment

Working...