X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou
    How about the fact that it's the playoffs, and Bill Cowher has come up a small man in the playoffs. How many AFC Championship games has he lost at home over the years--three I believe.
    Dude, do you really think you're PROVING who will win this weekend? It's going to be a close fucking game. You were one of the same guys saying that the Steelers would lose on Halloween.

There are no FACTS here until the game is over. I'd say I very much think the Steelers have their work cut out for them, but they can win it.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Lou

I said earlier the Patriots are gonna win 16-10. I think that qualifies as a "close game."

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Do you want to borrow the "no Corey Dillon" excuse from the Pats fans ??
        I didnt use that excuse...hey, we had Dillon in Miami, right?

Nothing is guaranteed.
        Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• aesop
          Commando
          • Oct 2004

Like I said before, it's all up to Ben...

The 'D" will be there, the running game will be there...but it won't be enough. To win, Ben will we have to throw at least one touchdown pass, and we can't give up any BS special teams plays. THAT'S what has killed us in the last few really big games.

I say 24-17 Steelers.
          Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aesop
            I say 24-17 Steelers.
            Man, what a game this will be...I hope you're right, bro.
            Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Lou
              How about the fact that it's the playoffs, and Bill Cowher has come up a small man in the playoffs. How many AFC Championship games has he lost at home over the years--three I believe.
              Which is only one more loss at home than Andy Reid has had, in seven more years....

That's it, keep inserting your foot in your mouth Lou.....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou
                Dude! Hasnt Philly lost three straight NFC Championship games AT HOME???????

You shouldnt be throwing stones, bro!
                Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• redblkwht
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Lou, getting spanked in both threads..Damn!
                  LMAO dude..j/k

EUAS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Philadelphia lost IN St. Louis I believe in 2002...

then at home in 2003 and 2004...

putting down Cowher as a bad coach is just plain idiocy...especially when you're guy shares similarities to Cowher in NOT winning the big ones...

Not worrying about Philly yet...they'll have their hands full this week...

good to see IMO that the 2 best teams from their respective divisions made the final four...

not the four best mind you...but the 2 in each division...

now onto my statements...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                      good to see IMO that the 2 best teams from their respective divisions made the final four...

not the four best mind you...but the 2 in each division...
                      Agreed. Indy is better than Philly.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• WARF
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Patriots 17

Steelers 10

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

1. I'm going to no admit to being wrong...but on semantics...if I were a gm setting up a team...I would more than likely try and build a team around a guy like Brady before a guy like Manning. So Dave's PA...you got me on that point. Manning has better QB tools...noone can deny that...but...Brady wins games...period...you gotta respect that...

2. I think Roeth is going to prove throughout his career to be a similar qb...not a stat monger...but a winner. He proved he was a rookie...in much the same way that Brady did when Oakland beat him around a few years ago. Brady won the game...so did Roeth. The thing that a lot of people are forgetting about is this. Pittsburgh gave up 3 points to the Jets on D. Roeth made a mistake that was brought back for a td...and a punt return. If those things are fixed...the Jets aren't even in the game. I don't think that will happen again. If it doesn't...that will make this game very interesting.

3. The Pats have been here before...and should be the favorites. They have to come to Pittsburgh, which shouldn't be forgotten. I've not been to Heinz...but you can tell it's a different place to play than Three Rivers...and you have to account for that.

4. Dillon will help the Pats, no doubt about it. I don't know if he'll rush for 100 yards, or have to for the Pats to win. What he will do is force the Steelers to play the run, which will leave underneath pockets open in theory. I think the D can compensate for that...but it WILL make the Pats much more impressive, and hard to defend.

5. It's all icing for me right now...all icing. Most of you can tell that I've been the most apprehensive fan of a 16-1 team that you can be. I thought Pittsburgh was a good team...but figured they would struggle to make the playoffs unless Roeth was in as qb...and even then. Roeth got in at game 3 as a starter...and I figured they would eaze up the offense...and win more games than lose because of it. I was right to an extent, but wrong in the fact that by the time Pittsburgh played the Eagles and Pats, they had opened up the playbook...given him the deep ball...and he was fantastic. But still a rookie. I've wanted him to look bad once all year...to feel the pressure of losing, and coming back to win. It hasn't happened....until last Saturday. He looked bad. They won. But, what he was able to do was drive them up and down the field in the 2nd half...the sign of a good qb. He made 1 mistake, and so did Bettis. 2 rarities. But...he rebounded and drove them down the field after each. Pittsburgh should have lost...he didn't let them. OK...Brien chunks a couple of field goals...but...Roeth is the guy that tooketh away...and...brought them back...I think it says a lot for his psyche. I've seen some crap qb's in Pittsburgh, who would have looked ass bad after that pick...O'Donnell and Kordell come to mind. He didn't. 2 things can happen. Either Roeth is going to make another mistake as a rook...or revert to the player that's won all those games beforehand. Normally I'd say it's a no brainer...but it's the playoffs...and I remain apprehensive. New England's defense is fantastic. It's equal to the Steelers in most respects. They will put pressure on the QB...it's up to Roeth to step up. If he does...I don't know that NE can win the game...

If he doesn't...it looks a lot like last week.

6. Pittsburgh can pressure Brady, and Brady can make mistakes. If Belicheck makes the right changes in the offense...and they find the quick reads...Pittsburgh will be on it's heals all day. That's where coaching DOES make a play. Belicheck isn't the second coming of Lombardi. He's damn good...damn good, but if Cowher has some wrinkles...and can find a way to make that defense look different from 2 months ago...they can stop NE...it's not like NE ran away and hid from Indy...

bottom line...this is going to be a good one...plain and simple...a slobberknocker. Like I said before though...Pittsburgh is a young team...and I think this is a statement about Cowher. You can bash the guy all you want, but to be able to set up an offense around a rookie qb...and go 16-1...you have to be good. Look at the other rookies in the league...it didn't happen anywhere else.

New England is a dynasty...you win 2 out of 3...and you are damn good...and you are a dynasty in the new era of football. Are they better than Pittsburgh? I say their running game is equal...I say their qb play is equal if Roeth doesn't make mistakes...so a slight...slight edge to NE...I say Pittsburgh has a slight edge on Defense...NE a slight edge on special teams...and Pittsburgh a slight home field edge...

over all...it's a toss-up...and will depend on mistakes (hopefully not...hopefully it will be on good plays)...

my guess here is that it will be a two-minute game. Whoever makes the big play in the last 2 minutes will win the game?

My pick? Obviously I'm going to apprehensively pick the Steelers at home...for the simple reason I'm a Steeler fan. I'm going to say 20-17 on a late Steeler TD...

This is what football's all the fuck about...
                          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Lou
                            I said earlier the Patriots are gonna win 16-10. I think that qualifies as a "close game."

OMG, I agree with Lou. Thinkin' it will be close but the snow will help perk up the running and passing games as the offensive players get an advantage in cutting on the turf, but overall scoring will still be down.

Score: Pat's 19 Steelers 13.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Great post, Pojo.

Even though I hate Manning, I cant pin that whole loss on him. Just an AWFUL gameplan by Dungy. Just as coaching (in my opinion) was the main factor in the Indy game, it will be this Sunday in Pittsburgh. I just dont see Cowher conjuring up a gameplan as well as Belechick does. Bill Belechick puts his players in a position to win the game. That is all that the players want in a coach, and they trust in him.

I said last week that the Pats need to play their best game of the season to beat the Colts. Well they need to play an even better game on Sunday to beat the Steelers.

Regardless, I hope for a well-played game. It's a shame that one team has to lose on Sunday (ok, no its not. Go Pats!) because these two teams are basically the same. Coaching and game prep goes to the Pats as the deciding factor...

Patriots 26, Steelers 23 in OVERTIME.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

I can't disagree with the sentiments about Belicheck...

I guess I can't forget he was the coach for the Browns for what...4...5 great years?...

lmfao...

I'll be honest here...I think Cowher and Belicheck will coach an even game...I think Cowher's been coaching this game since they beat them Halloween night...

if they don't...that will wash out the homefield ad for Pittsburgh...and I could see that overtime NE win...

I'm counting on Cowher not to pull a Reid here...

Comment

Working...