Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Five years after he announced his arrival on the AFL stage in this competition, Carlton spearhead Brendan Fevola has won the Wizard Home Loans Cup for the Blues with a devastating eight goal haul in Saturday night's grand final against the West Coast Eagles.

Fevola, who first came to prominence when he kicked 12 goals in a pre-season match as an 18-year-old in the 1999 millenium match, was the difference between the two teams as he won the Michael Tuck Medal for best afield in leading the Blues to a thrilling 1.14.18 (111) to 1.11.9 (84) grand final victory in front of more than 43,000 fans at Telstra Dome.

And the Blues did it the hard way showing they now not only possess growing skill and confidence under coach Denis Pagan but also the character needed by top teams after surviving a final quarter scare from the more favoured Eagles' line-up.

The Blues looked home when vice-captain Scott Camporeale, who along with fellow veteran Matthew Lappin led by example all night, booted the opening goal of the final term to put the home side 23 points in front.

But the Eagles, inspired by reigning Brownlow Medalist Chris Judd and returning ruckman Michael Gardiner - then showed why they are rated one of the leading premiership contenders in 2005 by kicking the next four goals to snatch back the lead at the 11 minute mark.

Gardiner booted two of them and there seems little doubt his return from the knee injury, which sidelined him for nearly all of last season, will be an enormous boost for the Eagles in 2005.

But just when the favourites looked set to run away with the game, the Blues showed that their days of being the easybeats of the competition are definitely over.

And when the Blues badly needed a goal to stem the momentum it was Fevola who delivered the goods yet again - after goaling from a free-kick at the 12 minute mark to restore Carlton's lead.

Bouyed on a by a passionate crowd of Blues fans, who are sensing the glory days might be soon returning to this proud club, Carlton then lifted enormously and sealed the game when Ian Prendergast let fly with a monster nine-point goal after intercepting a handball.

There was still time for Fevola to add his eighth as the Blues celebrated their first pre-season cup since 1997.

But the fact this trophy came just three years after the club slumped to its lowest ever ebb, when it collected its first wooden spoon in 2002, makes this latest triumph even more remarkable and even sweeter for Carlton fans so used to success.

It also comes at the start of only Denis Pagan's third year as coach as the dual Kangaroos' premiership coach proves yet again why he is arguably the best coach in the AFL by re-building the Blues into a force so quickly.

And Pagan deserved a lot of credit for the Blues triumph on Saturday night, particularly for the way he was able to set up his forward line to allow so much space for Fevola and Lance Whitnall to work in.

While the Eagles' attack often seemed over-crowded in the first half, Fevola and Whitnall had acres of space in the first half and simply destroyed the visitors.

Fevola booted four goals in the first half and Whitnall two as the Blues jumped to a 22 point lead at half-time.

And such was the constant pressure of the Carlton side, which tackled ferociously, the Eagles were forced into mistakes and conceded two deliberate rushed behinds in the second term which virtually added the equivalent of a goal to the Blues' score.

The Blues' defence was equally heroic with Luke Livingston and Brett Thornton underlining their huge improvement by performing superbly in the two key defensive posts although Thornton's night was soured by what appeared a serious ankle injury in the dying minutes.

And despite 35 possessions from Chad Fletcher and 27 touches and two goals from the brilliant Judd, the Blues' underrated midfield more than held its own with Nick Stevens - who missed his brother's wedding to play in this game - a constant inspiration in finishing the match with 22 kicks.

CARLTON: 0.4.2, 0.8.12, 0.10.15, 1.14.18 (111)
    WEST COAST EAGLES: 1.3.3, 1.4.5, 1.7.6, 1.11.9 (84)

NINE POINT GOALS: Carlton: Prendergast
    West Coast Eagles: Judd
    GOALS – Carlton: Fevola 8, Whitnall 2, Morrell, McGrath, Camporeale, Scotland
    West Coast Eagles: Lynch 3, Hansen, Gardiner, Banfield 2, Waters, Judd
    BEST – Carlton: Fevola, Camporeale, Lappin, Stevens, Whitnall, Livingston, French
    West Coast Eagles: Judd, Fletcher, Banfield, Cousins, Gardiner, Wirrpunda
    CHANGES – Carlton: Johnson, Bowyer, Betts, Norman
    West Coast Eagles: McConnell, Butler, Jones, Embley
    INJURIES – Carlton: Thornton (leg)
    West Coast Eagles: TBC
    REPORTS - TBC
    UMPIRES - McLaren, Meredith, Wenn, Ryan
    CROWD - 43,280 at Telstra Dome
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• BOMBER
      Head Fluffer
      • Oct 2004

Only a week to go before The Real Deal gets underway.
      Congrats to Panamark's mob for taking the pre-season goodies.
      GO BOMBERS

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Thanks BOMBER ! and good luck in 2005!
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I wish they still showed Australian Rules Football on ESPN here in the states...GREAT game...
          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Sorry to hear they dont !!

I know a lot of American friends, that loved watching it.
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• audiospectrum
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2004

ah footyheads!!

Greetings all, long time.

You know I just can't stand football these days, the spark isn't in the game anymore, now that it's become a mass of flooding and white boots and overhyped commentating. Eddie McGuire is a poor caller of our great game, and the players are overpaid simpletons (most of them anyway). Where's Roth? He'd have made a great footballer!! I'm sorry Australian Rules, Americanizing is no way to go. Ah the gripes of a disgruntled Richmond fan!!
              I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: ah footyheads!!

Originally posted by audiospectrum
                I'm sorry Australian Rules, Americanizing is no way to go. Ah the gripes of a disgruntled Richmond fan!!
                Alot of American sports fans understand what someone from Australia is talking about when they mention 'football'...just like we know that our 'soccer' is 'football' in the rest of the world.

You dont need to Americanize it.
                Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• audiospectrum
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                  Alot of American sports fans understand what someone from Australia is talking about when they mention 'football'...just like we know that our 'soccer' is 'football' in the rest of the world.

You dont need to Americanize it.
                  Oh sorry fella you are getting me wrong here. My worry is that football is "selling out" in the way that say baseball is in America. With baseball we have:
                  - naming stadiums after corporations to increase revenue
                  - shortening fences to promote the power game, therefore moving away from the traditional game and it's roots
                  - bigger salaries, endless endorsements
                  - saturation advertising on almost anything
                  - players changing clubs VERY regularly
                  and on and on

Now I know people may say that it's just the way we all gotta go but it really does take away from our great game, and I'm a huge baseball fan! (If you've read The Glory Of Their Times you may follow my argument)

Aussie rules football is taking a similar path. The players don't seem to be as loyal, opting for bigger salaries over playing for the same club. The game is hyped up with bumps and huge marks, and I feel this takes away a lot of the tradition of our great game. I guess it's all about exposure, especially to countries like America (who seem to love this sport!)
                  Call me old fashioned... but I guess you see what I meant, it just aint the same game today, many past players will say this.
                  Sorry about the Americanize quote, sad but true.
                  Mostly everyone is chasing the dollar, it's the bottom line. Now I play baseball in Australia because I love it, hell I fork out a shitload of cash to play for my local club, and I would do it for free!! I love the game, I respect the game, it owes me nothing.
                  I guess a lot of these 'career minded' professionals would rather spend their energy taking instead of giving, it's their choice I guess.
                  I'm very proud of what was that band and what was that show and what it did mean to people. It disgusts me that it has turned into the complete opposite. That it now represents everything that I spoke against, that we suppoesedly represented the converse of. I don't want to have to remember that the team turned into that. Makes me question what the team was while I was a member. Was it all bullshit? If nothing else, it confirms in my mind that from my standpoint - yours truly, David Lee - not a fraction. If nothing else, this kind of morbid, wounded animal anger aimed my way has caused me to look deep into that bathroom mirror and come back to you with "my shit was legit." It was for real. And perhaps the test is time. Because here I am, a decade and a half later, haven't changed much. I look a little different, but not much. My sense of humour is about the same.

Comment

• BOMBER
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Oct 2004

Players have always changed clubs,nothing new is going on there and the game has just become more professional because it had to.
                    The days of players getting paid crap wages back in th 80s has gone out the door because players now are representing their clubs 24/7.It's not like you just go to training on tuesday and thursday nights and then rock up to play saturday arvos.
                    The game simply had to go professional once the competition became the AFL and I for one am glad it did.
                    As for Mcguire,turn down the volume if you don't like his commentary and switch on the radio,Rex is hands down the best caller in the nation and has been for about 15 years now.
                    I tend to look at the positives of the great game that is AFL and that is record crowds,record tv ratings and a game which happens to be the most popular code of football in Australia because it is the best.
                    I remember growing up in the 80s and my fathers generation would say footy's not like it was back in my day.Of course it wasn't,with time everything evolves including AFL footy.
                    I always get excited this time of the year because the greatest game on earth is back in swing.
                    GO BOMBERS

Comment

• BOMBER
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Oct 2004

Now let's see,no wins by Carlton,Collingwood or Essendon.
                      That's a hell of alot of football fans unhappy over Easter and I'm one of them.
                      We looked terrible without Lloydy and will have to improve greatly to roll Carlton on friday night,but it will happen.
                      Just being optimistic P'Mark.

Comment

• MAX
                        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Fucking Demons!!!

They're still using the mojo that I gave them from last year. Evil creeps.
                        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• BOMBER
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Oct 2004

my friend,they must have stashed some of that mojo you gave them for the 05 season.
                          They were awesome on saturday night,who knows if they have enough mojo to break the premiership drought.64 was their last.

Comment

• MAX
                            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Mate,

That's so funny last year how you kept telling me how badly they sucked. Yet, I kept tipping them anyway and they did well. Yep, there's definitely some MAXIMUS MOJO going on there. lol.
                            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• BOMBER
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Oct 2004

Just don't go handing it out to Carlton or Collingwood.
                              I don't want you to be a Mojo Slut now.This season looks like it's going to be difficult enough,however it will be easier to take if their down their with us.

Comment

• Panamark
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Im Pissed at Carltons first up effort following the Wizard Cup. Although we only went down by 20 points, its one I think they should have won. Good luck for next week BOMBER ! You blokes are without
                                Llyod, but we have a seriously depleted defence. So it should be a
                                good even game.
                                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...