• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Penguins fire Olczyk, promote former Canadiens coach Therrien

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

December 15, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Penguins coach Eddie Olczyk was fired Thursday in the midst of one of the most disappointing starts in franchise history and replaced by former Montreal Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.

Olczyk, a former team broadcaster and player who had no coaching experience before being hired in 2003, was dismissed following a run of eight losses in nine games that dropped Pittsburgh's record to 8-17-6, worst in the Eastern Conference.

Only St. Louis (6-17-4) has fewer wins in the NHL, and general manager Craig Patrick decided to fire Olczyk after a string of dismally played losses in the last week.

Patrick said it became obvious during a 5-0 loss to Minnesota last Thursday that the players were tuning Olczyk out and no longer respected him, and the situation got only worse during losses to Detroit (3-1) on Monday and St. Louis (3-0) on Tuesday.

"The Minnesota loss was very disturbing -- the team had shown its face and for whatever reason they weren't listening," Patrick said.

But Patrick also faulted himself and the players, and he acknowledged the blend of newer players such as super prospect Sidney Crosby and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and old-line stars such as John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, Ziggy Palffy and Jocelyn Thibault wasn't working. He promised more changes if there isn't a fast turnaround under Therrien.

"I can't say why," Patrick said when asked why the players didn't respond to Olczyk. "But we're going to find a solution."

The 39-year-old Olczyk is the first NHL coach to be fired since the league resumed play following a one-season labor impasse.

Therrien, who coached the Penguins' Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club to a 21-1-2-1 record that represents the best start in AHL history, ran Penguins practice Thursday and will coach his first NHL game since the 2002-03 season Friday night against Buffalo. He was 77-77-13-13 as Montreal's coach from 2000-03.

Therrien. 42, will bring a much more disciplined approach to a team that has been criticized for its lazy work habits and inability to stick to a system. He emphasizes controlling the puck and creating turnovers in the transition game, and doesn't hesitate to call out players when they're not performing.

"He's a no-nonsense guy and it's either his way or you don't play -- and from what I see, we definitely need that," Patrick said.

The Penguins were a league-worst 23-47-8-4 during Olczyk's first season in 2003-04, including an 18-game losing streak. But the pressure on Olczyk to begin winning increased when the Penguins won the NHL draft lottery in July and chose Crosby, considered Canada's best prospect since Penguins owner-player Mario Lemieux.

But the Penguins got off to a terrible start by losing their first nine games. Lemieux also had another medical setback, being diagnosed last week with a heart disorder. Crosby has averaged a point a game but also has been slumping with only one goal in eight games.

"We look pretty on paper, but what are we? What are we?" Patrick said. "I don't know, but we're going to find out."

This is the fourth time Patrick has fired a coach during the season.

Therrien replaced Alain Vigneault as Montreal's coach on Nov. 20, 2000 but was fired and replaced by Claude Julien on Jan. 17, 2003.

Penguins assistant coaches Joe Mullen and Randy Hillier also were fired, as were goaltending coach Shane Clifford and strength coach John Welday. Therrien brought his Wilkes-Barre staff with him -- assistant Mike Yeo, strength coach Stephane Dube and goaltending consultant Gilles Lefebvre.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

It's too bad, Edzo was well-liked, but this was the right move....

And quite obviously, they need a coach like Thierren now....

Gonna be an interesting next couple of weeks....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I thought Eddy O would be there a long time when he was hired.

There were pretty high expectations when the season started, I thought the Pens would be a player.

Shit went bad.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

That was one ugly win in 'Sota...

I didn't like the gameplan at all...

The pass defense continues to be very mediocre....

Kick returns are looking bad as well....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
            Veteran
            • Apr 2004

Vikes shot themselves in the foot. Good win for Pitt, Vikes need to score plain and simple.
            http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
            Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
            Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Undrafted Parker closing in on unlikely 1,000-yard season

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

December 22, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Thirteen NFL running backs have rushed for 1,000 yards this season, and four are fewer than 100 yards away. Most share a common bond of college stardom, getting enormous money before playing their first NFL game, being a big name and a big deal long before they were pros.

Nine were first-round draft picks. Two more went in the second round, one in the third and one in the fourth.

Then there's Willie Parker, who needs 63 yards in his final two games to become only the sixth running back in the Pittsburgh Steelers' 73-season history with a 1,000-yard season.

First-round draft pick? He wasn't even the first back picked most Saturdays by his own college, spending all but a few games at North Carolina as a backup -- barely getting 1,000 yards in his career. He had speed and strength, often outlifting the other backs in the weight room, but for some reason he didn't have what the Tar Heels wanted.

Dan Rooney Jr., the son of the Steelers' chairman and a team scout, remembered Parker from his starring days at Clinton (N.C.) High School and recommended signing him as an undrafted free agent.

Parker was as raw as could be in his first training camp in 2004, but his speed made such an impression on coach Bill Cowher that he made it through the roster cuts. The first time he got more than a few carries in a game, he ran for 102 yards against the Bills in the season finale.

When Jerome Bettis and Duce Staley got hurt in training camp this summer, Parker stepped in and gained 272 yards in the first two games. He's had only one 100-yard game since, but has never given back his job to two backs who have a combined 11 1,000-yard seasons between them.

All season, Parker has deflected credit for his success to the offensive line, the coaches' game plan or to Bettis and Staley for showing him the way. But now that 1,000 yards are so close, Parker acknowledges it would mean a lot personally.

"I can't say a lie and say it's not so," he said. "It's because of how I got here and the fact I haven't rushed for 1,000 yards since high school. Being in the elite role of runners like Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Edgerrin James, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jerome, it would be real good for me to get over the mark."

Parker has always had the kind of turn-the-corner speed the Steelers have lacked at running back; as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said, "It's a lot of fun to just give him the ball and watch him run."

What Parker is showing is that he also possesses perseverance, motivation and mental toughness, qualities not always found among first-round draft picks who have generally known little adversity in their pre-NFL careers.

Parker showed it again Sunday when, after getting benched the week before for fumbling for the third time in two games, he came back with a solid 81-yard game against the Vikings.

"Because of my parents, `I can't' wasn't allowed to be part of my dictionary," Parker said. "I'd be saying at North Carolina, `I can't take any more of this,' and some parents would have been like, `Give it up, you don't have to take this.' But they wouldn't let me leave, and I stuck it out. Now, if I'm ever a father, I'm going to tell my kids they can never use the words, `I can't.' You can do anything the next man can do."

What's surprising about Parker's near-accomplishment is that, for a franchise long known for its power running game, the only Steelers running backs with 1,000-yard seasons are Bettis, Franco Harris, John Henry Johnson, Rocky Bleier and Barry Foster. Bleier and Foster did it only once each.

For Parker, it's a case of so few yards to go for a man who has come so far.

"Let me tell you a story that happened in high school," he said. "The two best teams in the state were in the same conference, and this other team beats us. We play them again in the regional, and they've already got their buses ordered and their T-shirts for going to state. So my team got a little fired up about that.

"We already knew we were the best team, and we beat them like 33-0. And the next day in the paper they said Willie Parker is only a junior, his team's not supposed to win this game," Parker said.

And how fitting is this? His high school team is nicknamed the Dark Horses. If there ever was a dark horse candidate to be an NFL 1,000-yard rusher, it's Parker.

"The moral of the story? It's not supposed to happen that way again -- I'm not even thinking in my wildest dreams of being near 1,000 yards, and it's coming around now," he said. "The picture's being painted now."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Congrats to Parker...and to do it with Staley and Bettis there...is even more impressive...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

It is.

Next season with their OL coming back healthy and more than likely a stranglehold on the job, all he has to do is toughen up a litlle holding onto the ball.

I don't see why a full slate of starting can't be 1,400+ and 10+ TDs.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

I agree 100%...and I really curious to see what the Steelers do.

Parker is good...but...

he's not BIG on having a #1 that isn't a north/south guy...

I look at Parker and see Pegram...so if Bettis and Staley aren't back...I still think you'll see Pittsburgh bring in a big back...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Gibbs adjusted to Portis.

Not that Parker is Portis, but who knows.

He'll obviously bulk up some over the off-season.

But yeah, Cowher needs at least one earth mover at RB.

With Staley's salary, wonder if he'll restructure to stay.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

He'll have to...because his health is certainly an issue...if he doesn't restructure...he's gone...

they may just try and resign Haynes...or go into the draft...

Every time I see Lendell White run the ball...I think Pittsburgh...

but it depends on when he goes...I think he could be a first rounder...but if he falls to late 2nd round...Pittsburgh will take him...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

excuse me...LenDale White...lmfao...

of course...he's only a junior...and no way is he coming out...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

I would like to see what Haynes could do with a little more action. Seems like he has the same fumble problem though, maybe he doesn't and not enough carries to determine.

Seemed to play the 3rd down role pretty well. Not your classic burner, but Pittsburgh seems to have that little bit of the Denver thing going as where most any back playing excels to an extent, some more than others.

And they did have a lot of injury and shifting along the OL this season. And some games without Ben in there and the running game being the number one priority of the oppostion.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                              excuse me...LenDale White...lmfao...

of course...he's only a junior...and no way is he coming out...
                              Nope, you know he wants all those Bush carries added to his next season.

But it will only help him barring injury.

Not that he wouldn't be a first day selection anyway, but may as well gaurantee himself a first round slot.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Bush could win in '06 ... if he elects to go pro

By Adam Schefter
                                NFL Analyst

(Nov. 21, 2005) -- These days, Bush's approval ratings are way up.

It's now to the point that should running back Reggie Bush enter the 2006 NFL Draft -- and the smart money says he will -- he could end up as the No. 1 overall pick. There are multiple reasons San Francisco would be the ideal landing spot for Bush.

For one, Bush's high school teammate in San Diego was quarterback Alex Smith, the 49ers' first-round pick last April.

For another, landing the Southern California running back -- who piled up 513 all-purpose yards Nov. 19 during a 50-42 victory against Fresno State -- would give the 49ers a dream backfield that features a Bush and a Gore. Bush would complement former University of Miami standout Frank Gore. What's more perfect than that, a Bush and a Gore?

And there are more interesting ties to the USC backfield. Trojans running back LenDale White, who also is expected to turn to the NFL after this season, has been receiving counsel about turning pro from his cousin, Detroit Pistons guard Chauncey Billups. They speak twice a week. Billups has counseled White and given him direction about what life would be like in the pros.

White also would be expected to go in the first round, giving USC's backfield three potential first-round draft choices.

Comment

Working...