X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Well, I know you are pre-programmed to lash out Nick so I am not going to take the bait.

No one in Toronto really considers the Sabres a rival although the reverse may be true. I am sure its a lovely place and all that.

I think Toronto would rank at or near the bottom in terms of my personal ranking of franchises for a variety of reasons.

Topping that list would be the arrogance and centre of universe mindset.

Trust me, they don't view Ottawa as a rival either.

Buffalo may have season ticket holders, which I am glad to see. But I wonder what the rate is? Anaheim has season ticket holders as well. When I was there about 4 years ago, the guy I bought tix from told me you buy one ticket and you get the other one for free when buying the season's package....great that they are beign subsidized...how many other teams are like that? God only knows

Hmmmm. A great model for the league. Lets just say that wouldn't be necessary in any Canadian market. The only reason Winnipeg ever left was due to ownership.

Not unlike why Seattle left the NBA...How could they ever leave? Nick, if you think areas around Toronto couldn't support two more teams you just don't understand the economics at all. Protectionism is all that is holding the status quo as it is
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Nick...I talk with leafs fans every day and have done so for decades. Never once have they mentioned the Sabres

I wonder if they talk about other teams at all now that I think about it lol
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
        Well, I know you are pre-programmed to lash out Nick so I am not going to take the bait.
        You're doing plenty of that of your own, bud. I suspect being slapped around by Von and VH has made you a bit ticky. But you can save the silly regional shit with because I don't post that sort of stuff because it's irrelevant....

No one in Toronto really considers the Sabres a rival although the reverse may be true. I am sure its a lovely place and all that.
        Then why do so many come here to cheer their team on? Do they consider us a rival? Whats the definition? Is a team that spanks them like the Canadians be considered "rivals?"

Believe it or not, the Sabres original rival was the NY Rangers since it was sort of the "Battle of New York." But that ebbs and flows with alignments and realignments. The truth is I could hardly give a fuck as the only real rival is the one keeping my team from the playoffs. But yes, there are Toronto fans that love to rub it in and there was a segment here that hoped Toronto would have gotten Eichel/McDavid after the Sabres in order to solidify a regional rivalry...

I think Toronto would rank at or near the bottom in terms of my personal ranking of franchises for a variety of reasons.

Topping that list would be the arrogance and centre of universe mindset.
        We agree. I think Toronto fans actually deserve better. But they have to stop subsidizing it first with their massive corporate dollars...

Trust me, they don't view Ottawa as a rival either.
        You're completely out of your mind. Um dude, I used to watch Hockey Night In Canada too until the provider stopped carrying CBC...

Buffalo may have season ticket holders, which I am glad to see. But I wonder what the rate is? Anaheim has season ticket holders as well. When I was there about 4 years ago, the guy I bought tix from told me you buy one ticket and you get the other one for free when buying the season's package....great that they are beign subsidized...how many other teams are like that? God only knows

Hmmmm. A great model for the league. Lets just say that wouldn't be necessary in any Canadian market. The only reason Winnipeg ever left was due to ownership.
        The rate is a relative bargain despite healthy rate hikes the past two losing seasons, based on the fact they need to keep up prices to get revenue sharing. Subsidized? Hardly! They have a 3,000 strong waiting list and there are NO subsidies. You might not catch it, but despite being the worst team in the league the Sabres are often on NBCSN nationally televised games? Why? Because they have one of the most devoted TV market shares here for hockey, again despite having a shitty on ice product up until the wunderkind draft...

Not unlike why Seattle left the NBA...How could they ever leave? Nick, if you think areas around Toronto couldn't support two more teams you just don't understand the economics at all. Protectionism is all that is holding the status quo as it is
        Hamilton could support a team, two in Toronto is very dicey. You've heard about the Canadian dollar, right? I'd love a team in Hamilton, whether the Sabres agree or not. I suspect they would too because they get a healthy fee for being within 50 miles of their arena. Would that effect the Sabres following in Southern Ontario? Maybe, but I suspect it would be marginal as many Hamilton Tigers fans would gladly come here as the Torontonians do...
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-14-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Nick...I talk with leafs fans every day and have done so for decades. Never once have they mentioned the Sabres

I wonder if they talk about other teams at all now that I think about it lol
          Exactly! But during the days of Rob Ray and Tie Domi, they most certainly DID talk about it around the beer cooler at work. When your team is a massive underachiever missing the playoffs despite decent talent, who the fuck IS your rival??..

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You know who Buffalo's biggest rivals were last year???

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Toronto could easily support two teams. That's a big fucking city.

I wish Hamilton would have gotten a team.

Buffalo fan supports the Sabres for the same reason they support the Bills. It's Buffafuckinglo, and there's nothing else to do in that shithole!

Comment

• VAiN
                Use my hand, I won't look
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                A team is coming to Quebec (Panthers?)
                Panthers aren't going anywhere.
                Originally posted by wiseguy
                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Nick I don't think I have the strength to retort, being so abused by Von lol

If you can say in one breath they are taking part in revenue sharing and in another saying they are not subsidized...not sure how we can have any discussion there...

Such a deficit in logic cant be argued with...you "win" skipper!!
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    Toronto could easily support two teams. That's a big fucking city.

I wish Hamilton would have gotten a team.
                    Toronto might be able to support two teams, but I think you'd have a Yankees vs. Mets thing where the not-Maple Leafs are always teetering and having trouble competing...

I'd love to see a team in Hamilton...

Buffalo fan supports the Sabres for the same reason they support the Bills. It's Buffafuckinglo, and there's nothing else to do in that shithole!
                    No shit, Sherlock!! It's also a great excuse to drink!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Nick I don't think I have the strength to retort, being so abused by Von lol

If you can say in one breath they are taking part in revenue sharing and in another saying they are not subsidized...not sure how we can have any discussion there...

Such a deficit in logic cant be argued with...you "win" skipper!!
                      The tickets aren't subsidized, I said nothing about revenue sharing. Two very different topics, we were talking about Season Tix! My "logic deficit?" Really? Try your reading comp "deficit!"

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Toronto might be able to support two teams, but I think you'd have a Yankees vs. Mets thing where the not-Maple Leafs are always teetering and having trouble competing...
                        Well fucknut, the real Leafs are "always teetering and having trouble competing"!

If both organizations were run properly, they'd both thrive.

The Mets haven't been run properly over the years, by their front office. A teams success, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with fan support, or whether a city can support two teams.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

The tickets aren't subsidized
                          That is the very definition of fuzzy math. You have come full circle...lol

Ok they receive revenue sharing and the tickets aren't subsidized. You are #1 skip!!

Hilarious.
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

The tickets aren't subsidized, I said nothing about revenue sharing. Two very different topics, we were talking about Season Tix! My "logic deficit?" Really? Try your reading comp "deficit!"
                            SO your post didn't say this:

"The rate is a relative bargain despite healthy rate hikes the past two losing seasons, based on the fact they need to keep up prices to get revenue sharing. Subsidized? Hardly!"

I know the distinction you are trying to make but I am afraid by any measure the organization, including ticket prices are subsidized...if ticket revenue is the main driver of revenue and you receive revenue sharing...there is no connection according to you?
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Vegas is getting a team, and it looks as though the Coyotes will be moving from Arizona. Maybe they go to Seattle? Maybe they go to Canada? Or will they be the ones going to Vegas?

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I actually think everything stays put and they have two expansion slots in the west to even out the imbalance of teams per conference.

That way a positive spin and new money from the franchise fee. Seattle is serious and a great hockey market with support at the grassroots level and minor hockey
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...