X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You can thank Ottawa for throwing games way back...

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Cherry Joins NBC's Cup Coverage

Joanne C. Gerstner for The Detroit News

Will America go crazy for a sharp-dressed man from Canada?

We'll know soon, as CBC icon Don Cherry joins NBC's Stanley Cup Finals coverage.

Details have yet to be ironed out, but Cherry and NBC analyst Brett Hull, a former Red Wing, will guest on each other's networks.

It's a shame it's taken this long for the outspoken Cherry and his unique wardrobe to migrate across the border.

We've been lucky in Metro Detroit, as "Hockey Night in Canada" and Cherry's staple "Coach's Corner" have been available for decades.

"A lot of people have written that what I say up here, I'd never get away with it down in the States," Cherry said during a conference call Tuesday. "I'll just go on and do what I have to do. In the States, they wanted me to go on one time in Pittsburgh. Jaromir Jagr had the long hair and he was with Mario Lemieux, and I said, 'There's Mario and his daughter.' That didn't go over too good. That was maybe my last time in the States."

That's Cherry in a nutshell. He doesn't care what people think about him. He's going to do what he wants, whether that's kissing Dougie Gilmour, opining about "soft" European players or going off on a tangent that requires serious intervention from moderator Ron MacLean.

And let's pray he brings out the whole arsenal on NBC, from a tartan plaid suit with a polka-dotted tie to a nice rant on why the NHL needs more fighting.

I asked Cherry why some reporters wondered if he could connect with an American audience.

"I don't know," he said. "They tell me I'm great at it but I've always, when I went down there (U.S.), I seem to have a lot of problems somehow, like in Pittsburgh. I think the Jagr thing got people upset.

"But I love Detroit. One time I went down there for the (Bob) Probert-(Troy) Crowder fight, and I got a standing ovation from the crowd."

Things could get interesting -- Cherry will be on NBC without MacLean's calming presence. But no worries if Cherry hits it big in the U.S. He's vowing loyalty to MacLean and CBC.

"I'll always stick with Ron. He and I have got something going," Cherry said. "He keeps me on the right track."

The Detroit News

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I love Don Cherry, even when I hate 'em!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

I actually agreed with his assessment of the Sens' performance last night....

They shot their load last night, it's just one game....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

For the last couple of years, Cherry has been muzzled quite a bit, due to various insensitive comments (Frenchman and visors)

There is new leadership at the CBC that wants Cherry to be the old very controversial self.

This should be good.

The Canucks look like a charmed team.

Since Christmas, they are by far the best team in hockey. With Luongo in net, they may win it all this year.

The Pens looked overmatched. Could be jitters though.
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Oh yeah, they were jittery as hell....

I spew about it in my blog...

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                For the last couple of years, Cherry has been muzzled quite a bit, due to various insensitive comments (Frenchman and visors)

There is new leadership at the CBC that wants Cherry to be the old very controversial self.

This should be good.

The Canucks look like a charmed team.

Since Christmas, they are by far the best team in hockey. With Luongo in net, they may win it all this year.

The Pens looked overmatched. Could be jitters though.
                Give me a break with your Canucks shit, man. They've always sucked, always will. 1/2 a good season out of how many? They'll blow it.

GO FLAMES!!!
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• SilvioDante
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2004

Its a shame that NBC's east coast biased is gonna prevent them from shownig any of the Predators-Sharks series.

I know everyone wants to see Sid the Kid, but Preds-Sharks is turning into a war.

Ron Wilson is already pissing and moaning.
                  "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Of course, if you had Center Ice, you could watch whatever series you wanted.....

I've had Center Ice for 5 years now, don't know how I lived without it... Missed one Pens game in that time (pre-TIVO)....

Comment

• SilvioDante
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      Of course, if you had Center Ice, you could watch whatever series you wanted.....

I've had Center Ice for 5 years now, don't know how I lived without it... Missed one Pens game in that time (pre-TIVO)....
                      I get Preds games. I just wish the rest of the country could see this series. If the first 2 games are any indication, this series is gonna be fun....
                      "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well, thank God Versus network is finally carrying Hockey here (they were blacked out for a while)...

Comment

• SilvioDante
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jan 2004

I think the Preds were on Versus once this year.

Oh well, they are on Monday... If you want to see and old fashioned grudge match, I'd tune in...
                          Last edited by SilvioDante; 04-14-2007, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I'm not totally happy with the refereeing, but a much better job this year in the playoffs than last.
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• SilvioDante
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jan 2004

I agree the officiating sucks. Guerin tripped Forsberg last night. They called Guerin for a trip and a dive on Forsberg. How can that happen!!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by SilvioDante
                                I agree the officiating sucks. Guerin tripped Forsberg last night. They called Guerin for a trip and a dive on Forsberg. How can that happen!!
                                Very easily.

I didn't see the play, but it is a good call when the player being tripped embellishes by acting like he has been shot by a sniper.

This isn't soccer...
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...