Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

I don't disagree dealing for Soriano...but...um...the NATIONALS?

and the boot...the Nationals have what...12 2nd baseman?

Soriano won't play another position...because then he'll just be another okay player...not a GREAT offensive 2nd baseman...

idiots all...he'll be bitching all year...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Well, like I said, I like the Casey signing, a lot...

And I also like the fact that they are at least mentioning the "possibility" of an extension of his contract, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that just yet...

I also liked the Macowiak trade for Marte.... Marte is obviously gonna be used as bait for another upcoming trade, probably to the Dodgers for Bradley....

I'm still pretty skeptical about Bradley, even if Jim Tracy claims to know how to tame him....

They've also stepped it up for Mueller from the RedSox, reports are that he's close to signing in the 'Burgh... Hey, he's no Mike Schmidt, but a decent switchitter, and a good glove at 3rd base...

Roberto Hernandez from the Mets is an average signing to me, righty setup man... I guess because they have so many lefties in the bullpen, he's a decent fill-in...

Pirates make Hernandez first free-agent signing
      Step up pursuit of Mueller, Bradley
      Saturday, December 10, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates took strides yesterday toward addressing all three of their remaining positional goals.

They reached agreement to sign their first free agent of the offseason, reliever Roberto Hernandez, to a one-year, $2.75 million deal. They upgraded a contract offer from two to three years to free-agent third baseman Bill Mueller. And they ramped up their pursuit of a trade for Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Milton Bradley.

Hernandez, 41, is one of the oldest players in Major League Baseball, but he is coming off a highly effective season as the New York Mets' right-handed setup man.

He held opponents scoreless in all but 12 of his 67 appearances, limited them to a .228 batting average, posted a 2.58 earned run average and allowed only five of his 29 inherited runners to score. He struck out 61 and walked 28.

Four teams pursued Hernandez toward the end, but his decision came down to a most unlikely bidding battle between the Pirates and the New York Yankees, the highest-spending team in professional sports. The Yankees' final offer was for one year at $2.5 million.

Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield also had inquired about free agents Todd Jones and Braden Looper to address their desire for right-handed relief, which Littlefield described as his top priority after trading for first baseman Sean Casey.

The team's plans for Hernandez will not be clear until after the signing is formal, but the goal was to find a right-handed reliever with experience in the late innings, preferably as a closer. Hernandez has not been a regular closer since 2002, when he saved 26 of 33 opportunities for the Kansas City Royals, but he ranks 10th on the all-time saves list with 324.

Pirates management would like to see left-hander Mike Gonzalez win the job, but he has four career saves and less than a month's experience in the role. If Gonzalez stumbles, in all likelihood, Hernandez would step in. If Gonzalez is the closer, Hernandez and Salomon Torres would team for a potentially terrific tandem of late-inning, right-handed relief.

Also yesterday, the Pirates made their first significant step ahead of the competition to sign Mueller.

They had not been a serious player for his services despite having offered a two-year contract earlier in the week, but that changed yesterday with the additional year. It remains possible, though, that the Dodgers or San Francisco Giants, the other teams pursuing Mueller, could match it. Mueller has ties to both from his six seasons in San Francisco and his acquaintance with Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, previously an assistant GM with the Giants.

The dollar amount of the Pirates' offer is not known, but it is thought Mueller is seeking a salary in the range of $4 million. He made $2.5 million last season for the Boston Red Sox.

Mueller, 34, was the American League batting champion in 2003. A switch-hitter who is equally efficient from both sides, he batted .295 last season with 10 home runs and 62 RBIs. He also has a smooth glove, as evidenced by a .972 fielding percentage that ranked fourth among all major-league third basemen.

If the Pirates are successful in signing Mueller, that still would not address their need for power. And Littlefield reiterated yesterday his desire to add a heart-of-the-order bat to complement Jason Bay and Sean Casey.

That might best explain why the Pirates, according to a team source, have committed new energy to prying Bradley from the Dodgers.

The Chicago Cubs and Oakland Athletics each seriously investigated trading for Bradley, but both teams' interest level seems to have waned markedly in recent days. The Dodgers are believed to have approached Toronto about Bradley but without getting much response from the Blue Jays. Teams are being cautious because Bradley, although a top-notch talent, has a lengthy history of trouble on and off the field.

It is not known what the Pirates might be offering, but one of the Dodgers' stated needs is for a left-handed reliever. The Pirates will have three of those once they formally acquire Damaso Marte from the Chicago White Sox for utilityman Rob Mackowiak.

The announcement on that trade, consummated two days ago, is expected Monday.
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

That's all interesting...

did they outbid...lmfao...the Yankees???
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

For who ?? I didn't see the Yankees involved in much of anything this week....

Not that I'm complaining....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            Four teams pursued Hernandez toward the end, but his decision came down to a most unlikely bidding battle between the Pirates and the New York Yankees, the highest-spending team in professional sports. The Yankees' final offer was for one year at $2.5 million.
            You need to read your own articles...lmfao...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

You don't really think I read those things, do you ???

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

lmfao...obviously not...

Comment

• redblkwht
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

im digging this site too..

Im hoping for Tejada to move to the NL

EUAS

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

The Cubs' press remind me of the Maple Leafs...

Every damn disgruntled player, or every decent free agent that's available, the press throws 100 articles out there...

"Cubs may be interested in Joe Blow"....

Gets tiring...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Dodgers trade Milton Bradley to Athletics

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer

December 13, 2005

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Milton Bradley is getting another fresh start.

The Los Angeles Dodgers unloaded the switch-hitting outfielder Tuesday, sending him to the Oakland Athletics along with infielder Antonio Perez for minor league outfielder Andre Ethier, the Texas League player of the year.

"I couldn't be happier," Bradley said during a conference call. "I'm playing major league baseball and having fun. I'm a California guy -- it's exciting for me. I wish the Dodgers well, wish their team well."

Acquired by the Dodgers shortly before the start of the 2004 season after a run-in with Cleveland Indians manager Eric Wedge, Bradley feuded with teammate Jeff Kent last season.

"As far as my dealings with Jeff Kent, we got along as well as we could," Bradley said. "It didn't work for me."

Bradley didn't play after accusing Kent of a lack of leadership and an inability to deal with African-American players on Aug. 23. The following day, Bradley learned he had sustained serious injuries to his left knee that required surgery.

It was became public later in August that police responded three times to Bradley's home in nearby Redondo Beach on domestic violence calls, but he wasn't arrested or charged.

Bradley became a parent for the first time Sunday, when his wife gave birth to a son, Jeremiah.

General manager Ned Colletti, hired last month by the Dodgers, didn't think a reconciliation was possible.

"I went into it with the idea of trying to keep him a Dodger," Colletti said. "It was clearer and clearer there was no way to make this thing work. At every turn, I just got stopped. I got it from a lot of different places including inside the clubhouse, outside the clubhouse, people who have known him very well and have known him for a long time."

Colletti said he didn't speak with Bradley until Tuesday, when he informed him of the trade in a brief conversation.

Bradley said he hadn't thought much about a possible return to Los Angeles.

"I know I'm going to be successful regardless," he said. "I'm a no-nonsense guy. I laugh and joke with everybody, but when on the field, I'm all about winning. I'm not going out there to just go through the motions and have fun. I'm going out there to win."

A's GM Billy Beane has been looking to upgrade his offense.

"(Bradley) is a switch hitter who can hit around (Eric Chavez), which is something we probably need pretty badly," Beane said.

The 27-year-old Bradley hit .290 with 13 homers and 38 RBIs in 283 at-bats. He was limited to 75 games, also missing extensive playing time because of a torn ligament in his right ring finger.

Bradley hit .267 with 19 homers and 67 RBIs in 141 games for the Dodgers in 2004, and .321 with 10 homers and 56 RBIs in 101 games for the Indians in 2003.

The 25-year-old Perez hit .297 with three homers and 23 RBIs in 259 at-bats as a part-time infielder for the Dodgers last season.

Bradley has had several issues with his temper. He was suspended for the final five games of the 2004 season when he slammed a plastic bottle at the feet of a fan in the box seats in the right field corner at Dodger Stadium after someone threw it on the field. Nobody was injured.

He had anger management counseling during the offseason, and kept his temper in control last season -- even when discussing Kent, although his comments were scathing.

Then-Dodgers manager Jim Tracy later said he was disappointed Bradley was as candid as he was with the media, saying he had told the player to "keep it in-house."

Colletti said he didn't speak with Kent concerning Bradley's status.

Colletti said he believes Ethier has a chance to be "a very good everyday player in the big leagues" as a corner outfielder, but not right away.

The 23-year-old Ethier will probably begin next season in Triple-A, Colletti said, adding he could arrive at the big-league level sometime next season or in 2007.

Ethier, who bats and throws left-handed, hit .319 in 131 games with 18 homers and 80 RBIs for Midland of the Texas League. He also played in four games with Triple-A Sacramento of the PCL.

Ethier was a second-round draft pick of the A's in 2003 after playing at Arizona State.

Colletti said the Dodgers need to rebuild their outfield, where starters J.D. Drew and Jayson Werth return but the status of both could be uncertain because of health issues.

Colletti has been in contact with representatives for free-agent outfielders Johnny Damon and Jacque Jones, but didn't sound optimistic on either front.

AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley in Oakland, Calif., contributed to this report.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Bradley is a great ball player...5-tool guy...

but...

unfortunately...

just a BIG fucking tool...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Yanks in play for Nomar...

who'd have thunk that Nomah, Idjeter and ARod would someday play on the same team...or even have a chance to...

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2004

Nomar's going to play 3rd base this year ... he's lost a step ...
                            Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Dotel agrees to $2 million deal with Yankees

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

December 20, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- When Octavio Dotel recovers from his elbow operation, he'll be pitching for the New York Yankees.

New York and the reliever reached a preliminary agreement Tuesday on a $2 million, one-year contract.

"I feel very happy with this contract," Dotel said. "This team has a lot of tradition, and it pleases me to know that they want me to pitch for them."

Dotel could earn $3 million more in performance bonuses based on games. His deal contains an additional $2.5 million in bonuses based on games finished, in case he is traded to another team.

He had 36 saves for Houston and Oakland in 2004 but struggled last season with Oakland, going 1-2 with seven saves and a 3.52 ERA before he went on the disabled list May 20. From April 30 to May 11, he blew four saves in five outings.

Dotel had reconstructive elbow surgery June 6 to repair a torn ligament. He hopes to be pitching by midseason.

"What I do know is that it's going to help me to go back to what I like and that is to be a closer," he said.

With the Yankees, he joins several newcomers in the bullpen: right-hander Kyle Farnsworth and left-handers Ron Villone and Mike Myers. New York has struggled to find middle-inning pitchers in recent years, and setup man Tom Gordon left to become the Philadelphia Phillies' closer.

Several teams had sought Dotel, including the crosstown Mets.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Jacque Jones agrees to three-year deal with Cubs

December 20, 2005

CHICAGO (AP) -- Jacque Jones and the Chicago Cubs agreed to a $16 million, three-year contract on Tuesday, one day after the outfielder rejected the Minnesota Twins' offer of salary arbitration.

The 30-year-old Jones hit .249 last season with 23 homers and 73 RBIs, the second straight year his average declined following a pair of .300 seasons. He set career highs in 2002 with 27 homers and 85 RBIs.

Jones played mostly right field the past two seasons following four years in which he mostly played left. He has a .279 career average with 189 doubles, 132 homers and 476 RBIs in seven major league seasons.

Comment

Working...