X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Corleone
    Veteran
    • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    A European team has never won outwith Europe.

If you are going to bet the best option is to bet against an England win. English people bet far more money on sports per capita than any other European country which always artificially lowers the odds of an England win.
    Sesh, you do know I'm (half) English and live (literally) just over the border from you. Unlike the vast majority of English people though, I do admit that England are limted, over hyped, over paid and will not win it (simply because they are just not good enough). 2nd round or Quarter finals at best I think. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

True, a European team has never won outside of Europe and since 1962 the winner has alternated between a South American and European team at each World Cup meaning that this should be a South American winner, however I am still fancying Spain for the win.

I expect Italy to crash out early on, France and Germany to make it about as far and most likely not much much further England, and for Portugal to rely too much on Ronaldo. I'm undecided on Brazil at the minute.
    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

What the pundits hardly ever say is that the World Cup is a bit of a lottery which is why I always get nervous about an english win.

At some point just about every team draws a game so has to win a penalty shootout.

I don't remember anyone at all saying Italy might win the last one, or Greece would win the European Championships. I would think that there is a good chance Spain will go back to their tradition of playing below their ability again but noone knows. To be honest I'm hoping their plane crashes on the way to South Africa as they're in our group for the next qualifying...

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by jero
        Robben is injured (hamstring) so thanks for your support.
        Hopefully quite painful and permanent.

Still look on the bright side, I can support you now.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Has anyone checked the fixture list yet?

There aren't many games to get excited about after work in the first 2 weeks.(If you are on European time at least.)

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

This is a very cool site.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Don Corleone
              Sesh, you do know I'm (half) English and live (literally) just over the border from you.
              I spent all last week in England.

Are you a one flagger or a two flagger...?

Is it really neccesary for everyone in England to show that they are English when they are in England, for 2 months before the thing even starts....?

Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-06-2010, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• jero
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Hopefully quite painful and permanent.

Still look on the bright side, I can support you now.
                LOL! I think he's okay after 2 weeks so he can play against the germans
                Last edited by jero; 06-06-2010, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Don Corleone
                  Veteran
                  • May 2004

I spent all last week in England.

Are you a one flagger or a two flagger...?

Is it really neccesary for everyone in England to show that they are English when they are in England, for 2 months before the thing even starts....?

Never mind the 2 months before it starts, those buggers will still be there 6 months after it's finished. I'm a no flagger myself - I think though things look shite and I like my car as it is.

Typically what you find is that it's the chav's who stick the flags on the cars, or half cover houses with the George Cross and then spend the world cup turning very very Red outside of Linkers Bar shouting Rooooneeey. Unfortunately we have a lot of chavs (or maybe I'm just a snob).
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

I'm sure team USA will at least make it to the Quarter-finals. Anything less will be a disappointment. I'll be really happy if they at least beat Mexico in the knockout rounds.

Comment

• jero
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                      I'm sure team USA will at least make it to the Quarter-finals. Anything less will be a disappointment. I'll be really happy if they at least beat Mexico in the knockout rounds.
                      Saw USA playing against Turkey...pretty impressive

Comment

• moose
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

[QUOTE=Grant;1462984]Dan, New Zealand have got Italy in their group...make sure you guys break their ankles.

Loser!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Don Corleone
                          Never mind the 2 months before it starts, those buggers will still be there 6 months after it's finished. I'm a no flagger myself - I think though things look shite and I like my car as it is.

Typically what you find is that it's the chav's who stick the flags on the cars, or half cover houses with the George Cross and then spend the world cup turning very very Red outside of Linkers Bar shouting Rooooneeey. Unfortunately we have a lot of chavs (or maybe I'm just a snob).
                          We haven't qualified for anything since this flag on cars thing started(2 world cups ago??) so I dunno how bad it would be up here yet...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by jero
                            Saw USA playing against Turkey...pretty impressive
                            England were already leaking goals and just lost their best defender.

It's not impossible the US could do something against them.

Comment

• Dan
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Grant
                              Dan, New Zealand have got Italy in their group...make sure you guys break their ankles.

Of course, I'd like to see Australia have a good run progressing past the 1st round. After that, I'd like to see either Spain or England win it. But I think it'll be Argentina this time round...
                              We Will Give Them a Big Haka and They Will Run Off Crying.
                              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Dan
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

[QUOTE=moose;1463022]
                                Originally posted by Grant
                                Dan, New Zealand have got Italy in their group...make sure you guys break their ankles.

Loser!!
                                How Rude.
                                First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

Working...