• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Kobe is On Fire

Kobe scores 48 in return from suspension as Lakers roll

Expert recap and game analysis of the Los Angeles Lakers vs. Philadelphia 76ers NBA game from January 6, 2006 on ESPN.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kobe Bryant had a perfect game beyond the arc to take over the NBA scoring lead, and the Los Angeles Lakers saved coach Phil Jackson from a dubious milestone.

Back from a two-game suspension, Bryant made all seven of his 3-point shots and scored 48 points Friday night in a 119-93 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers.

He moved a fraction ahead of the 76ers' Allen Iverson, who had 31 points, in the NBA scoring race. Bryant raised his average to 33.166 a game to Iverson's 33.090.

The win halted the Lakers' five-game losing streak and prevented Jackson from losing six straight for the first time in his 15 seasons as an NBA coach.

"Our spacing was good, which made it very difficult to corral me," Bryant said. "When they did, we were able to swing the ball and get open opportunities for everybody else."

Smush Parker joined his teammate in popping from outside, going 5-of-5 on 3-pointers and scoring a career-high 24 points.

"Kobe was hot shooting, making fadeaway jump shots from 25 feet away," Parker said. "It was good to have Kobe back. We got a brief taste of life without Kobe and we definitely missed him."

Philadelphia coach Maurice Cheeks is used to Bryant's shooting show.

"Kobe makes shots, we kept saying they were incredible shots and for most people they are," Cheeks said. "But for Kobe, I don't think they were incredible. He does things like that on an everyday basis."

Lamar Odom had a career-high 12 assists to go with eight points and seven rebounds for Los Angeles.

"Lamar is such a great facilitator, he takes a load off my shoulders so I don't have to facilitate, I can just focus on putting the ball in the basket," Bryant said.

He was suspended without pay for two games for elbowing Memphis' Mike Miller in the throat during the Lakers' 100-99 overtime loss to the Grizzlies on Dec. 30.

Iverson didn't get a whole lot of help from his teammates, with Andre Iguodala scoring 14 points, and Chris Webber and Kyle Korver 12 apiece.

"We don't have an identity as far as how we play on the defensive end," Iverson said. "We always score, so it's obvious our problem is in other areas."

Bryant sat out most of the fourth quarter of the lopsided victory and went 19-of-29. Iverson made 11-of-22.

The Lakers, up by 15 at the end of each of the first two periods, maintained a double-digit lead most of the second half.

The Lakers shot 59 percent for the game, including 13-of-20 from 3-point range, to the 76ers' 42 percent. Philadelphia was 2-for-10 on 3-pointers. ^Notes:@ Iverson has four scoring titles and no NBA championship rings. Bryant has no scoring titles and three rings. "I'd trade all of 'em for one of his rings," Iverson said. "People think I care about something like scoring titles because of the way I compete and the way I score night in and night out. I don't want to just be a scorer. I want to be a winner." ... Bryant is pleased the Lakers will be the Hornets' opponent in their first game back in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina. "It's going to be fun. I don't know where they are right now, as far as their recovery process is," Bryant said. "You can always rebuild buildings, but it's about the people and their emotions." That game, one of three the Hornets have scheduled for New Orleans Arena, is March 8.
    sigpicRoth Army Canada
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Kobe's performance, although only in a regular season game, reminded me of Jordan's performance against the Trailblazers in 1992, where he couldn't miss a three.

Fucking Kobe was spotting up 3 feet behind three-point line and stroking that shit!
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Brett
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Kobe's had a great year, but the Lakers need to start winning some fucking games.

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

whoa!!

i thought kobe was on fire.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
          Kobe's had a great year, but the Lakers need to start winning some fucking games.
          Agree.

That win just got them BACK to .500 ball.

Comment

• EbDawson
            Veteran
            • Apr 2004

the Lakers need to start winning some fucking games.
            Well they should schedule the Mavs more. They've been Kobe's bitch this year.
            "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Brett
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Well he got 50 tonight, and they won again. Of course it was just the Clippers, but a win is a win. Yes they Clippers are better, but they're still the Clippers.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Kobe shot 15-29 in second half = money

Here is his take on game-winning basket:

"I can't fully take credit for that last move," Bryant said of his go-ahead basket. "I stole it from Michael Vick, believe it or not. I knew they were going to run over to double with (Chris) Wilcox, so I picked up the blitz, threw a pump fake at the guy, got him up in the air and went around him."

No one can stop him:

"My thing is, no matter who's guarding me, I believe that you're going to crack before I will. I'm just going to keep on pushing at you until you give in."

Expert recap and game analysis of the Los Angeles Lakers vs. LA Clippers NBA game from January 7, 2006 on ESPN.
                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2004

Kobe is on fire cause he has the clap!
                  http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
                  Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                  Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Well he got 50 tonight, and they won again. Of course it was just the Clippers, but a win is a win. Yes they Clippers are better, but they're still the Clippers.
                    Ahhhh yes ... BUT ... those Clippers are still ahead of them in the division.

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Kobe should win the MVP this year, if the Lakers get into the playoffs.

Comment

• Brett
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I agree.

Comment

• Brett
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                          Ahhhh yes ... BUT ... those Clippers are still ahead of them in the division.
                          Sad I know.

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Kobe put up another 45 last night in a win vs. the Pacers.

Four games in a row over 45. First player since Wilt the Stilt to do that.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Kobe looked good again.

I think Nash is making his team better, though. Nash for MVP so far.
                              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...