Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I'd agree with that. He will make the most impact first I think. But I think there will be a few guys from this draft that make a difference in their respective rookie seasons.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

More than a few...but I think Taylor...right now...with no servicetime...

is an all pro...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Very similar to Roy Williams of the Cowboys, he's already a monster. Puts a liitle push in that rivalry.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

I like Roy Williams...WR was really interesting...Fitzgerald is certainly a stud...as is Williams...but there really isn't much difference between the two...

We shall really see in the future...but those two guys are going to be good...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I like the Lions taking Williams to pair with Rogers, not sure if we were talking about the same player.

I meant S Roy Williams from Oklahoma who stepped right in as rookie for Dallas, Taylor may be even a little better at this stage, as many say he is the second coming of Ronnie Lott.

Now Washington has the same type of safety back there.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

LMFAO...yeah...THAT Roy Williams was solid...no doubt about it...I had him on my fantasy team for a bit...

plays the same type of safety...but not as big a hitter...nor as big in size...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                actually throwing down some Beck's as we speak......
                There's a shocker.....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

hehehehehe...

well...it being Beck's is...damn foreign beers...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

by Profootballtalk editor Mike Florio

POSTED 11:10 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 11:25 a.m. EDT, May 2, 2004

DOLPHINS REDUCING OGUNLEYE'S TENDER?

A league source tells us that the Miami Dolphins could be upping the ante in their stare-down with defensive end Adewale Ogunleye by reducing his current one-year tender offer from $1.83 to approximately $435,000 as of June 1.

Article XIX, Section 2(i)(1) of the Collective Barganing Agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association permits the team to reduce a restricted free agent's tender to 110 percent of his 2003 salary as of June 1 and still retain exclusive rights as to the player.

Per the source, the reduction in Ogunleye's available pay for the 2004 season probably won't work. Ogunleye's camp, we're told, is betting on the fact that the Dolphins won't risk the public relations hit that would result from squeezing roughly $1.4 million out of Ogunleye's pocket. Likewise, the maneuver likely will do little to persuade Ogunleye to abandon his current plan to stay away from the team until after the tenth week of the regular season, which is the latest date on which he can report and still receive credit for the season, thereby enabling him to become an unrestricted free agent in 2005.

The thinking in some circles is that the Dolphins would approach Ogunleye to discuss a long-term deal after dropping the tender, with the anticipation that his expectations will be lower after his potential earnings for 2004 are cut to as low as $163,000, which is the equivalent of six games' pay at the reduced tender. Currently, Ogunleye is thought to be seeking a deal in the range of contracts signed last month by Grant Wistrom and Jevon Kearse, who received signing bonuses of $14 million and $16 million, respectively.

RAIDERS LOOKING FOR MORE RB HELP?

Despite the recent addition of veteran Amos Zereoue and the presence of Tyrone Wheatley and Justin Fargas, we're hearing that the Oakland Raiders are hoping to beef up their running back corps.

The leading candidates, we're told, are Travis Henry of the Bills and Rudi Johnson of the Bengals.

Henry is quickly becoming expendable as 2003 first-rounder Willis McGahee gets closer to the field. Johnson, a restricted free agent, is poised to hit the open market in 2005. With rookie first-rounder Chris Perry now on the roster, the Bengals might be tempted to get value for Johnson now, in lieu of nothing later.

If the Raiders add another back, our guess is that veteran Tyrone Wheatley might be the odd man out -- unless newcomer Zereoue fails to show that he'd able and willing to be a role player in the Oakland offense, which likely will be augmented with some special teams appearances, a task in which he initially made a name for himself with the Steelers.

RAMS DO DUNCAN A FAVOR

The St. Louis Rams threw a bone to veteran linebacker Jamie Duncan, a league source tells us, by cutting him loose before the post-June 1 free-agent market fills up with a new crop of available veteran defenders.

Duncan was a third-round draft pick of the Buccaneers in 1998. He pulled a Don Mattingly in Tampa, leaving the Bucs one year before they finally won the Super Bowl.

After two years in St. Louis, Duncan will be reunited with Falcons G.M. Rich McKay, who originally selected Duncan when McKay was Tampa's General Manager.

By hitting the market early, Duncan found a new home before Redskins linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon are available after June 1.

UPSHAW TAKES SWIPE AT POSTONS?

In his first comments regarding the pending grievance between linebacker LaVar Arrington and the Redskins, NFLPA Executive Director Gene Upshaw seems to be leaning toward the 'Skins.

"I don't want to comment on the merit of their grievance because it will be grieved," Upshaw told the Washington Post in connection with an in-depth article regarding agent screw-ups of the current offseason. "But this is not a situation where the owner [the Redskins' Daniel Snyder] isn't spending money. He's spending like a drunken sailor."

Translation -- Upshaw doesn't think the 'Skins are inclined to screw any player over money, especially not one of their team leaders.

Arrington's agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, take issue with Upshaw's remarks.

"I'm kind of disappointed Gene would make comments like that without the matter being adjudicated," Carl Poston told the Post. "Each case has to be looked at on the merits. I know I didn't make a mistake."

The Postons have, however, acknowledged that they didn't read the final draft of the contract, which supposedly omitted a $6.5 million roster bonus for 2006, which would have been in addition to the $6.5 million roster bonus for 2006 that's already in there.

Perhaps not reading the final draft contract isn't a "mistake" because they intentionally didn't read it?

Upshaw's words reinforce our belief that the NFLPA is pursuing the grievance process for Arrington primarily in an effort to supply the Postons with more than enough rope to hang themselves. Our guess is that the more they say in an effort to 'splain their position, the more ammo the NFLPA will acquire for a potential assault on the Postons' certification.

In our view, the reality here is that the NFLPA might be recognizing that, if players aren't able to fire agents who have committed serious negligence and/or misconduct, the NFLPA must step in and protect the players from their agents.

"The most amazing thing is the loyalty you see on the players' part," Upshaw said. "You try to tell them, and they say they trust the guy. It's like the old saying, 'You can't tell a guy his wife is ugly.' And, in some of these cases, she's fat, too. But they don't want to hear it."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Interesting about Travis Henry and Rudi Johnson...I can't believe that the Bills would be willing to bangk on McGahee so early after that injury...

and Johnson...I know Perry may be good...but...after dealing away Dillon...I can't fathom they are going to go with a rookie...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

I think they'd be doing themselves a great disservice if they didn't give Fargas a shot at that job...I watched him run early in the season and damn if he didn't run a lot like Dickerson...I think if he gets a shot...he could be a good one...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                          Interesting about Travis Henry and Rudi Johnson...I can't believe that the Bills would be willing to bangk on McGahee so early after that injury...

and Johnson...I know Perry may be good...but...after dealing away Dillon...I can't fathom they are going to go with a rookie...
                          You got it right bro.

The contract situations between Henry and Johnson are a little different but I think that these rumors are just to see if someone will overpay for one of these guys, instead of letting them walk at the end without any compensation. I think Henry signed an extension through 2005, not positive, but Rudi just signed the tender for this year and becomes a FA after the season. Perry could conceivalbly do the job as a rookie, but why would you want to until Johnson proves he ISN'T the man.

I like Fargas to. We had him here at Michigan and was injured badly and just scratching the surface at that time, but played well for USC and if he can stay healthy, has the wheels to make shit happen.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Yeah...I watched him play a couple of preseason games last year...and he looked like a man among boys...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

That talk of Wheatley being the odd man out may be just the push they want to make to get him in shape. Dominated at times at UM.

I always felt he wasted his career. For all the good players out of Michigan you get in the pros, there are guys like Wheatley, David Terrell, Biakabutuka, and Anthony Thomas who seem to have promise, but fall short for all sorts of reasons from conditioning to attitude to injury.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Yeah...the qb's...minus Brady...haven't faired all that well...who was that Michigan QB from way back...that played for the BlueJays for awhile...

Comment

Working...