• ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

by Profootballtalk editor Mike Florio

CHECK OUT THE RUMOR MILL ARCHIVES!

Get Site Clothing Here!

POSTED 8:37 a.m. EDT, April 12, 2005

NEWS FLASH: ARRINGTON STILL A TURD

Reaction around the league to linebacker LaVar Arrington's tongue-lashing of the Redskins has been positive for the team, negative for the player.

On Monday, Arrington went off on the franchise that drafted him in 2000 for allegedly trying to rush him back from a knee injury suffered last year.

"I'm taking as much time as I need," Arrington said after undergoing arthroscopic surgery due to a setback in his ongoing rehab. "And if that means they're upset and want to get rid of me, then so be it. But I'm not coming back before my knee is ready. I tried it their way, and it got me on crutches again. . . . They can get upset, be uncomfortable with it, but I'm going to take as much time as I need.

Arrington also was upset that the team didn't bother to publicize the fact that he recently had surgery. "In terms of the support from them, it's like nothing," Arrington said. "It's like, just let me disappear and die. To me, it just kind of [stinks]. It's not like I have a relationship with them anyway -- because they're new. ... Does that mean it's right the way things are handled? I had a teammate that didn't even know I had surgery."

Said one league insider in response to Arrington's comments: "He has been overrated since college, and also a turd . . . who only cares for himself. [He] will never be as good as he thinks he is . . . [M]ost in the league know this guy is full of sh-t."

For their part, the Redskins hope to defuse the situation, and coach Joe Gibbs believes that Arrington will retreat from his comments after coach and player have a chance to talk the issues through on Tuesday.

Gibbs also disagrees with the notion that the team pressured Arrington to return early from his bum knee. "Every single part of LaVar's injury has been treated with utmost caution," Gibbs said. "And I would say that, from a Redskins standpoint, even LaVar has been mad at me because we've been so cautious."

The root of this one could be the fact that Arrington realizes his days in D.C. will indeed be numbered if he can't get back onto the field in 2005 and justify his salary -- and his 2006 roster bonus in the amount of $6.5 million.

At this point, Arrington's lingering grievance based on the notion that the team promised him a second $6.5 million roster bonus next year is moot, since it's obvious that the team wouldn't have paid it -- and that he wouldn't pocket that kind of money on the open market.

If anything, Arrington should be happy that the team extended his deal and paid him a bunch of new money in late 2003 before his knee went the way of his attitude. His overall value to the Redskins -- or any team -- has taken a major drop since then, and every time he opens his mouth he hurts his chances of ever getting paid by his current squad or any other organization the kind of money he thinks he deserves.

WINSLOW WASHED UP?

There are rumors floating around the league that Browns tight end Kellen Winslow might never completely become the player he was expected to be due that broken leg he suffered playing special teams early in the 2004 regular season.

Even if he eventually reaches his potential, word is that the injury might last longer than originally feared, jeopardizing his ability to contribute in 2005.

Winslow's season-ending injury caused shock waves through the agent community, because it prevented him from cashing in on an otherwise no-brainer incentive payment based on the achievement of minimum playing time in his rookie season. His agents (the Postons) erred by dropping the 30 percent threshold in 2005 only; many rookie deals call for the payment to be made if the number is achieved in any one of multiple seasons.

JAMIE SHARPER HEADING TO MINNY?

We rarely pay attention to the hundreds of NFL message boards that are out there, for two big reasons. First, there are only 24 hours in the day, and we've yet to find a way to function without sleeping for at least six of them. Second, finding anything useful on a message board is like searching for the proverbial (or, as they say in Pittsburgh, "perverbial") needle in a haystack -- without knowing for sure that a needle is even in there.

But with all that said, we've received several e-mails over the past few weeks alerting us to the fact that a guy with apparent inside information regarding the Vikings has been posting clues on an ESPN.com message board that have come to fruition. For example, we got a head's up from a reader regarding a comment by "ShReDdErguy" that safety Brian Russell is "gone" -- a day before Russell signed an offer sheet with the Browns that the Vikings ultimately did not match.

So now this "ShReDdErguy" dude is dropping hints that free-agent linebacker Jamie Sharper could end up joining his brother, Darren, as a member of the Vikings.

Darren Sharper, a former Pro Bowl safety, signed with Minnesota within days after being cut by the Packers in March.

Jamie Sharper initially was on the trading block in Houston after the team signed Morlon Greenwood from Miami. But Sharper and teammate Jay Foreman eventually were released by the Texans. Sharper has visited the Seahawks and Bengals, and was expected to possibly announce his destination on Monday.

Jamie Sharper would help the Vikings further shore up the weakest area of their defense, which has been plagued by injury, youth, and underachievement over the past few seasons. He also would be the sixth new acquisition on the previous red-haired stepchild side of the ball, joining Darren Sharper, linebacker Sam Cowart, linebacker Napoleon Harris, cornerback Fred Smoot, and defensive tackle Pat Williams.

OWENS SAYS HE WANTS TO STAY IN PHILLY

Speaking for the first time since switching agents and, as a consequence, making waves throughout the City of Brotherly Hate, receiver Terrell Owens told The Philadelphia Inquirer on Monday night that we wants to remain a member of the Eagles.

"As of right now, I'm a Philadelphia Eagle, and that's where I want to remain," Owens said. "I had one of my best years there, so why would I want to leave? I just want the fans to know this is nothing personal. It's business."

Still, Owens wouldn't commit to attending the team's minicamp the weekend after the upcoming draft. "At this point, I don't have a clue about anything like that," he said.

Owens and his new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also took issue with a television report that T.O. missed and/or slept through many team meetings in 2004, including meetings during Super Bowl week.

"My whole preparation at the Super Bowl was just trying to help the team win," Owens said. "I don't know why anybody would try to bash me on that."

"Everything Terrell did at the Super Bowl let you know that he was the consummate professional," Rosenhaus said. "It's unbelievable that anybody would question what he did. That's just a joke."

Still, Owens didn't deny that he was late and/or unconscious at meetings during the regular season.

"During the year, I was late," he said. "A lot of people were late to meetings. I lived in Moorestown, N.J., and it was a situation where I had to contend with traffic. I was new to the area. I didn't know the alternate route . . . so I was late."

As to the issue of taking naps during meetings, Owens said: "Ask any player in the NFL if they've ever fallen asleep in a meeting, and if they say 'no' they're not telling the truth. As long as you don't fall asleep on Sunday, that's all that matters."

So the end result here is that Owens wants to return, but he likewise wants to get paid more than $3.25 million for 2005. The Eagles presumably want him back, but don't want to pay more than $3.25 million in 2005, and they want to retain the ability to pay $7.5 million in March 2006 via roster and option boni, or to pocket the coin and let him walk.

We also continue to hear that the team won't trade Owens, but we also hear that Owens would welcome a trade "to any team with a good quarterback" if it's the only way he can get what he believes is a fair contract. His 2004 deal was the product of former agent David Joseph's failure to secure Owens' ability to become an unrestricted free agent, which led to a grievance, a failed trade to the Ravens, and a compromise that avoided a final arbitration ruling that might or might not have resulted in a finding that Owens was still under contract with the 49ers.

The bottom line is that Owens hasn't ever had the ability to hit the market in early March -- and the problem is that the Eagles hold the ability to pay him only (only?) $7.5 million in 2006, which would likely happen if he has another solid year, or to cut him loose and let him become a free agent, which would likely happen if he has a poor year.

And, obviously, if he has a sufficiently bad year that would prompt the Eagles to not pay him $7.5 million come next March, it'll be very hard to get anyone else to approach that number as a free agent.

Meanwhile, look for Owens and Rosenhaus to remain very patient in their approach to this one. Owens likely won't attend minicamps, and he very well might hold out from training camp.

Because the reality is that the Eagles can say "no" 1,000 times, but they only have to say "yes" once.

TUESDAY MORNING ONE-LINERS

WR Corey Bradford, after testing the market, opted to re-sign with the Texans; he inked a one-year, $800,000 deal after the expiration of his three-year, $5.25 million contract with the team expired.

LB Tommy Polley's one-year deal with the Ravens is expected to be for the $540,000 minimum.

Georgia LB Thomas Davis and DE/LB David Pollack visited the Lions on Monday (the team initially said that the visits were actually with Sammy Davis, Jr. and Sydney Pollack).

LB Tedy Bruschi offered no details regarding his medical condition in connection with Monday's pitch-throwing thing at the Fenway opener.

Fins DE Jason Taylor says that he's got no concerns regarding his status in Miami.

Steelers WR Hines Ward has taken plenty of heat from friends and family for his boo-hoo routine after Pittsburgh's season ended without a trip to the Super Bowl: "Yeah, they called me cry-baby, sissy, all that. My mom started laughing at me."

The Seahawks could dump LB Chad Brown in order to create enough cap room to sign LB Jamie Sharper.

Ward has taken out a $5 million insurance policy as he waits for a new contract, which apparently will be negotiated after the draft.

Colts QB Peyton Manning has developed a relationship (not that there's anything wrong with that) with golfer Tiger Woods (perhaps they're in the process of forming the "Butt Ugly Sports Superstars Club").

In the hopes of getting the ball in his hands come September, newcomer WR Cedrick Wilson is burying his nose into QB Ben Roethlisberger's rear end.

Redskins WR Santana Moss could get a long-term deal in place this week.

The Packers have signed S Arturo Freeman.

The Pats won't take anything less than a first-round pick in trade for restricted free agent WR David Givens.

POSTED 9:34 p.m. EDT, April 11, 2005

MONDAY NIGHT ONE-LINERS

The State of Louisiana wants the Saints to cough up $40 million toward renovations of the Not-So-Superdome.

Redskins LB LaVar Arrington suffered a setback last week in the ongoing rehab of his injured knee; after feeling a "tweak," he ended up having arthroscopic surgery (it looks like that extra $6.5 million roster bonus that allegedly should have been included in his December 2003 contract extension will be irrelevant, since the team very well might cut Arrington in lieu of paying the $6.5 million roster bonus that's already in the deal).

The Ravens have signed Rams LB Tommy Polley to a one-year deal; he'll replace Edgerton Hartwell, who signed with the Falcons.

The Ravens have launched a special web site to announce their tenth season in Baltimore (we're going to set up our own special web site for this one -- it's called whoopdefreakindoo.com).

Jags WR Reggie Williams is trying to forget about his dismal rookie season (so are we).

From the "If You Can't Sell 'Em, Cover 'Em In Burlap" file -- Jags owner Wayne Weaver tries to put a happy face on the fact that the team will obscure 9,713 seats at AllTel Stadium in the hopes that the team will be able to actually televise a home game once in a while (we suggest doubling that number and playing the Colts, Pats, or Steelers every week).

Broncos CB Champ Bailey is looking forward to getting burned twice per year by Randy Moss.

The Giants are getting overtly political in their effort to get a new stadium in New Jersey.

The Cards have signed CB Robert Tate and G Jeremy Bridges to one-year deals, and dumped LB Raynoch Thomson and LB LeVar Woods.

WR Braylon Edwards visited with the 49ers on Monday.

Some members of the "real" media continue to be under the alcohol-induced misimpression that the Niners would take CB Antrel Rolle with the No. 1 pick.

RB Corey Dillon signed a contract extension with the Pats that will pay him $10 million over two years and up to $25 million over five.

The Titans have signed DE Kyle Vanden Bosch to a one-year deal.

Electronic Arts now owns the exclusive rights for NFL, Arena League, and NCAA football video games.

Comment

• VHdamaco
      Foot Soldier
      • Nov 2004

as much as i love the skins, i would venture to say that arrington hasn't been as good as promised...

the only two things ill remember him for is 1) ending that faggot troy aikmans career and 2) turning the 2002 (whichever one it was they started 0-5 with schotenheimer)

other than that, he's been mediocre at best...

darrell green is still a bigger playmaker
      Don't FUCK With Greatness...

Comment

• DlocRoth
        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I'd fucking take Arrington.

Viking fan here.
        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Redskins | Arrington Lashes Out - from www.KFFL.com
          Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:31:15 -0700

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports Washington Redskins LB LaVar Arrington (knee) criticized the Redskins for pushing him to return too quickly from knee surgery last fall and for how they have handled information about his condition. "In terms of the support from [team officials], it's like nothing," Arrington said. "It's like, just let me disappear and die. To me it kind of [stinks]; it [stinks], because it's not like I have a relationship built with [the coaches] anyway, because they're new and then I get hurt and every year it's always someone new [as a head coach]. Does that mean it's right the way it's being handled? It makes you wonder, man, what's their agenda?" As reported, Arrington recently underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. Arrington offered no timetable for his return to the field.

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Get Site Clothing Here!

POSTED 11:29 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 11:46 a.m. EDT, April 13, 2005

SAINTS BLOW THEIR OWN HORN

A league source tells us that the New Orleans Saints and receiver Joe Horn have reached agreement on a new contract, which replaces the current deal that would have paid him $3.8 million in base salary in 2005, the final year of his deal.

Horn at one point had threatened to stay away from the team's involuntary voluntary workouts until a new deal was done, but he relented due to the fact that negotiations resumed last month.

The Saints reportedly paid Horn a $1 million roster bonus on March 18, after Horn refused to delay the due date.

The news on the contract front hasn't been as favorable for another Saint, cornerback Mike McKenzie. We're told that the team has informed McKenzie that there will be no contract extension at this time.

McKenzie was traded to the Saints in 2004 after his efforts to get a new contract in Green Bay failed. McKenzie currently is the only member of the team who is not participating in the involuntary voluntary workouts.

BROWNS SAY KELLEN IS FINE

Last season, we reported that Jags quarterback Byron Leftwich had an undisclosed knee injury. The team denied it. The truth, however, was that Leftwich indeed had been dinged.

Then, we reported that Jets quarterback Chad Pennington's shoulder injury was a rotator cuff tear. The team denied it. The truth, as the team later admitted, was that there was a tear.

So why do we wonder whether the Browns are speaking with forked dog bone when denying our report regarding rumors that tight end Kellen Winslow still hasn't fully recovered from his 2004 busted leg, that he might not fully recover before the 2005 season, and that he might never become the player he was expected to be when drafted in 2003?

According to Tony Grossi of The Cleveland Plain-Dealer, G.M. Phil Savage and coach Romeo Crennel disputed the rumors on Tuesday.

"I can tell you he's been working every day in the off-season program, and he's been leading the pack a lot of times," Crennel said. "I don't believe there's anything we should be concerned about. I think he's on course with his rehab. We anticipate a full recovery."

If we're gonna get technical here, Crennel's statement doesn't really constitute a contradiction of our report. The phrase "we anticipate a full recovery" means that he hasn't fully recovered yet, more than six months after the fact, and it's hardly a guarantee that he will be fully recovered on some date certain in the future.

Our report is what it be. There's a concern that Winslow might never make it to where he was expected to be, regardless of whether the party line is (as it should be) that they "anticipate a full recovery." What else is Crennel or Savage gonna say? That it's true?

"You know, we really are worried that Kellen might never be the guy he's gonna be, so look for us to draft a receiver or a tight end at the top of round two."

So even though plenty of folks are quit to take our reports with a grain of salt, everyone needs to keep this in mind. We have zero incentive to bear false witness -- the teams about which the rumors relate usually do.

POSTED 6:58 a.m. EDT, April 13, 2005

POSTONS PUFFING ABOUT TY

With their client list shrinking and our interest in talking about them waning, agents Carl and Kevin Poston had disappeared, for a while, from our radar screen.

But they're not gone yet, and we hear that they're still doing the same things that made them the most despised agent tandem in NFL circles a year ago.

As to their highest profile free agent in 2005, cornerback Ty Law, word is that the Postons are telling teams that they can get a deal averaging $7.5 million a season for the aging defensive back with a broken foot.

"Then go do the deal," we're told at least one team has said in response.

The truth is that the market for Law currently is in the range of $3 million to $3.5 million a year, and that if/when the Postons reduce their demands to that range, they'll get a deal done.

One of those teams might very well be the Steelers. On Tuesday, director of football operations Kevin Colbert acknowledged that there still is "mutual interest" between the team and Ty, who visited the facility twice in March.

MCNABB TAKES THE HIGH ROAD

In the wake of an implicit dissing from receiver Terrell Owens, who told ESPN.com's Len Pastabelli on Monday that he "wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl," Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb has shown restraint.

According to The Philadelphia Daily News, McNabb told his agent, Fletcher Smith, that he "doesn't know the context" and "would rather talk to T.O. about it" before commenting on the subject. Smith also said he doesn't think McNabb plans to call Owens, but Smith expects they'll discuss it "when they see each other, when it comes up."

"Donovan's had worse things said about him than that," Smith said. "This isn't going to affect him adversely one way or the other. At the end of the day, Donovan wants to win."

Meanwhile, Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, bristled at the suggestion that T.O. was referring to McNabb. "You're making an inference," Rosenhaus told The Philadelphia Daily News. "Terrell didn't mention any names. Terrell made his comments [Monday]. There's no need for me to explain or clarify anything."

Yeah, it's an inference, Drew. It's the same kind of inference that would be made if, let's see, Owens had said "that dude on the team who pimps soup was almost blowing his clam chowder in the huddle with the Super Bowl on the line," or "the guy who wears number 5 is a homo."

Meanwhile, Eagles president Joe Banner is trying desperately to put a happy face on the gradual implosion of his roster. "To the extent that people want to view these situations as problems, they're problems created by people who want to be here so badly," Banner said. "That's what you'd call a good problem."

We can't even begin to make a smart-ass reply to that one because we don't freaking understand it.

Look, Joe, here's what's happening. You've got a handful of guys who could give a pile of eagle poop about whether they wear green and white -- they just want to get paid. And Owens, for instance, is going to gradually, slowly, continuously throw darts at you, McNabb, and anyone else he can in an effort to get the organization to either shut him up by paying him -- or shut him up by getting rid of him.

WEDNESDAY MORNING ONE-LINERS

When the NFL releases the regular-season schedule at 2:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, The New York Post predicts that the Giants and Chargers will meet in a Monday night affair, since Giants quarterback Eli Manning spurned San Diego a year ago.

The Rocky Mountain News predicts that the Broncos will be slated to visit the Cowboys on Thanksgiving.

Eagles DT Corey Simon wouldn't confirm or deny a report by ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that he has asked the team to remove the franchise tag from him.

Redskins LB LaVar Arrington didn't have anything to say regarding his meeting with coach Joe Gibbs, which came a day after LaVar unLoaDed about the team's handling of his knee injury; Arrington instead opted to take a shot at the media, saying "I'm happy about trying to get my knee together, and that's my main focus. Y'all got y'all's stories that y'all want to write. Y'all want to depict me as a bad guy. I'm hurt. It is what it is. Y'all do what you want to do."

In the same article, The Washington Times took a shot at the team that has been giving it most-favored-paper status of late, writing that Redskins Park "has devolved into a theater of the absurd."

Redskins S Sean Taylor, who wants to renegotiate the rookie contract he signed less than a year ago, hasn't been returning coach Joe Gibbs' phone calls; Gibbs also implied that, if he knew that Taylor wouldn't be participating in the team's involuntary voluntary workouts, the Redskins wouldn't have drafted him.

Lions QB Joey Harrington isn't fazed by the fact that the team signed QB Jeff Garcia and brought in QB Alex Smith of Utah for a pre-draft visit.

The NFLPA has approved a tougher form of steroid testing (maybe the next time a punter is blatantly juicing, they'll catch him).

Broncos QB Jake Plummer says that the team will go back to the playoffs -- again -- in 2005 (and we say that they'll get their butts kicked -- again -- in round one).

We hear that the agent for Ohio State K Mike Nugent has placed a friendly wager that his guy will be selected in the first round -- hey, dude, if you're taking more action on that one, we're in, because the only way your guy is off the board in round one is if about 40 or 50 guys go Len Bias in the next ten days.

Eagles RB Brian Westbrook hasn't signed his $1.43 million restricted free agent tender offer.

The Packers are bracing for DE Aaron Kampman to sign an offer sheet with an undisclosed team -- the deadline for making offers to restricted free agents is Friday.

Texas LB Derrick Johnson and Maryland DE Shawne Merriman visited the Lions on Tuesday.

Jags owner Wayne Weaver says that "[w]hat we're trying to do is get people more excited about being at Alltel Stadium on game day" (dude -- isn't the real issue the fact that you dropped your team in a town without enough people to support a mediocre team?).

Pats K Adam Vinatieri has signed his one-year franchise tender, which will pay him $2.51 million guaranteed for 2005.

The Patriots have released TE Jed Weaver and CB Hank Poteat.

Lions WR Charles Rogers has put on 15 pounds of muscle (and he's got big pillows sewn over each collar bone).

The Rams have made a one-year offer to QB Jamie Martin, but there's no deal yet.

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger hopes that the team will open up the offense a bit more in 2005.

Big Ben also opened up a little on Tuesday, acknowledging that he's dating pro golfer Natalie Gulbis (hey . . . we thought they all were Les Bohemes . . . not that there's anything wrong with it.).

QUOTE OF THE DAY

Think the Redskins get it? Think again. From coach Joe Gibbs: "I'd be willing to say if you stacked us up with all of the other teams in the league, that we're on the low side for having problems."

POSTED 7:45 p.m. EDT, April 12, 2005

KEYSHAWN STORY WAS "A JOKE"

A league source tells us that the recent flap between Cowboys receiver Keyshawn Johnson and ESPN occurred because someone in the organization overheard Johnson joking with trainers that he is unhappy with his contract.

We're told that the person who leaked the information to ESPN heard the exchange, and assumed incorrectly that Johnson is unhappy with his current contract.

In refuting the story last week, Johnson said that he plans to attend faithfully the team's offseason workouts, and we've heard that he indeed is heavily involved in the involuntary voluntary sessions.

But Johnson didn't address the fact that the report originated from the fact that someone overheard his tongue-in-cheek exchange with trainers, either because Johnson didn't realize the connection at the time or because Johnson doesn't want to lend credence to the notion that perhaps there is a plausible explanation for the ESPN report at which Johnson "laughed."

SHARPER SIGNS WITH SEAHAWKS

John Clayton of ESPN.com reports that the Seahawks have signed linebacker Jamie Sharper to a five-year, $17.5 million contract.

The move ends Sharper's flirtation with the Bengals, and pulls the plug on eleventh-hour speculation that Sharper could end up reunited with his brother, Darren, in Minnesota.

Sharper, 30, won a Super Bowl with the Ravens and was added to the Texans in the 2002 expansion draft. He became expendable after Houston signed Morlon Greenwood in March. When a trade couldn't be finagled, Sharper was released.

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Get Site Clothing Here!

POSTED 10:15 a.m. EDT, April 14, 2005

LEAGUE URGING EAGLES TO STAND FIRM?

Word around the league is that the Commish plans to flex some muscle behind the scenes in order to get teams to stand firm in the face of demands by star players for new contracts.

The concern isn't just that paying T.O. (or trading him to a team that will) would set a bad precedent for the Eagles, but for the league.

Already, folks around the league -- and within, we hear, the league office -- are growing increasingly concerned by the fact that several players over the past few years have forced trades or new contracts (or trades to get new contracts) merely by holding out, threatening to hold out, and/or generally becoming pains in the ass to deal with.

The system of free agency, you see, was intended to provide players with a broad set of options after their contracts expire, not before. Some players and agents (or, as some league insiders would say, agent) have been using the realities cap-driven system as a way to force teams to pay them or to move them to a team who will.

From the players' perspective, the argument is that the teams have the right to break contracts at any time if a player underperforms on his deal, but the player has no way to get fair treatment if he outperforms his terms.

We've thought this through carefully, and here's our official position: Both sides are free to negotiate whatever contract the open market will bear. If the player wants protection that he'll actually be paid his wages on the back end, he can aks for guaranteed salaries. If he wants protection against outperforming the deal, he can aks for incentives based on his performance.

And if he doesn't like what's on the table, he can try to find better terms elsewhere.

See, the gripes of many agents and players on this point relate not necessarily to the system, but to the market. Even with a salary cap in place, each player's worth is determined by the forces of the market -- and the manner in which his agent capitalizes (or not) on any leverage the player might have.

One league insider's comments to us regarding the Owens situation illustrates the point that each contract is, in the end, the product of arm's-length negotiations, in which both sides should try to get the best deal they could.

Said Owens: "Everyone knows my former agent [David Joseph] settled for a low-ball number because of my situation last season when Baltimore traded for me."

Said our source: "No T.O., your agent didn't 'settle.' You signed the f--king contract. You 'settled.' If you sucked, were you going to give money back?"

Added the source, "The entire situation with Baltimore and Philadelphia and the circus surrounding his loss of leverage had everything to do with [Owens]. He created the circus, [and] he acted like a petulant asshole."

Bottom line -- the Eagles likely won't budge on this one, and the league likely won't let them.

SCHEDULE FAVORS PACK, FALCONS?

Rightly or wrongly, some league insiders are griping about the 2005 schedule because they believe that it favors the Packers and the Falcons.

The Pack and Falcons each play three games on Monday night football, with all three of Atlanta's MNF affairs on their home field. The teams also have one Sunday night game each, and they square off in a nationally televised late afternoon game in November.

Also, the Packers get a Christmas day game at home against the Bears, and the Falcons play the Lions on Thanksgiving.

Frankly, we're not sure whether the disruption to the schedule that results from Monday night and holiday games is outweighed by the exposure. The league, obviously, is trying to help the networks generate the highest ratings possible -- especially with the Monday night and Sunday night packages still not placed beyond this season.

From our standpoint, we'd rather be able to watch the "good" games in prime time, when we're not otherwise doing the picture-in-picture thing and/or juggling the remote for six hours on Sunday afternoons.

Now, whether the Packers and Falcons and/or games involving them can be regarded as "good" this year remains to be seen. Green Bay seems to have taken a step back this offseason, and some league insiders think that Ron Mexico and the Herpettes might also see a correction to their strong 2004 campaign.

POSTED 6:34 a.m. EDT, April 14, 2005

TEAMS TO TAKE A PASS IN ROUND ONE?

Earlier this week, reader Dave Golub of Round Lake Beach, Illinois raised an intriguing possibility with us.

What if, Dave said, the 49ers choose to let their 15 minutes on the clock expire on draft day -- and they then wait to pick their guy until after several other teams have selected players?

Really, in a draft where there are plenty of teams who'd like to trade down and none who (at this point) want to trade up, we could envision several teams being tempted to slide down a spot or two, especially if they know that the team or two behind them won't be taking the guy that they want.

The benefit of such a move is that the team can get the guy they want at a lower slot, arguably enabling them to sign him for less money.

But a league source tells us that, even though the Vikings got away with passing on its No. 7 pick in 2003 and allowing two other guys to be taken before drafting defensive tackle Kevin Williams at No. 9, the NFL likely would not tolerate teams intentionally sliding back on the board.

In Minnesota's case, there was enough evidence of inadvertence to keep the team out of trouble. They'd apparently been trying to trade the spot to Jacksonville (who had the No. 8 pick) or Baltimore (who had the No. 10 spot), both of whom were hoping to nail down quarterback Byron Leftwich.

Word is that the topic has been discussed by the Competition Committee, and that there's an unwritten expectation that teams won't intentionally let others pick in front of them, in order to preserve the overall integrity of the process.

Also, as to the question of whether anyone wants to trade up, we've heard multiple times that the teams interested in making a move won't start making calls until next week. So even though there's no present indication that anyone wants to get into, for example, the top five, that all could change within the next several days.

T.O. RAISES THE STAKES

Eagles receiver Terrell Owens continues to talk about his unhappiness with his contract status, and his desire for a new one.

And he's dangerously close to pulling an "all in" move on this one, pushing his full pile into the middle of the table in the hopes of winning the pot -- with the Eagles or with someone else.

In an interview with Stephen A. Smith of The Philadelphia Inquirer (who happens to be one of the few Philly denizens who is more obnoxious than T.O.), Owens claims that the organization is "leaking stuff to make me look bad," and he takes issue with the notion that he's being selfish in his effort to get more money.

"This is not about me being greedy or selfish," Owens said. "People should know. I was called selfish for trying to come back and play in the Super Bowl. I just want people to think about what they're hearing from all these reports about me being greedy. Just take a moment and look at my stature in the game.

"I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that. The fact that I signed this contract, that I'm under contract, doesn't factor into anything when it comes to the National Football League. [The Eagles] can cut me anytime they want to -- even if I'm performing well, I'm healthy and I'm putting up numbers, just because they don't want to pay a player that money.

"If they can do what's best for their financial future, then why can't I?

"Everyone knows my former agent [David Joseph] settled for a low-ball number because of my situation last season when Baltimore traded for me. He told me he couldn't get a cent more, knowing I deserved more than they gave me. They used their leverage to strong-arm us because they knew I wanted to leave Baltimore for Philadelphia, and they capitalized on it. I can't go for that now. It's not in me to do that."

Actually, T.O. has a point here. Joseph screwed up Owens' shot at unrestricted free agency by not submitting paperwork voiding his San Fran deal, which triggered a clusterfudge that included a failed trade to Baltimore and an arbitration that could have ended in a finding that T.O.'s San Fran contract was valid.

Perhaps, in hindsight, Owens and Joseph should have held firm for a final arbitration ruling and then either hit the open market (and gotten the best money possible) or played out the final year of his prior deal and become an unrestricted free agent in 2005.

The biggest problem here, as Owens seems to recognize, is that T.O. made it too clear that he wanted to be in Philly, and the team took full advantage of that fact when the time came to work out terms, paying him only (only?) $8.5 million in signing and roster boni a year ago, and pushing the remaining $7.5 million of lump-sum payments into 2006.

A year later, Owens' consternation primarily flows from the reality that the Eagles can pay him $3.25 million in salary this year, and then walk away without consequence if they choose not to pay him that $7.5 million, due next March.

So Owens continues to increase the chatter regarding his displeasure, sounding more and more like Freddie Mitchell every day.

For instance, T.O.'s latest barrage includes reference to a "discussion" he recently had with coach/G.M. Andy Reid.

"Coach Reid -- who I greatly respect, regardless of what people may think -- even tried to come at me, saying, 'Terrell, you signed a contract . . . promising us you wouldn't cause problems.' I had to let him know that this isn't a problem. That's a misunderstanding, because this is all about business."

And Owens also tried to 'splain away his recent diss of quarterback Donovan McNabb with this: "I said what I said because, obviously, somebody in the organization is leaking stuff to make me look bad, to turn the city against me. Now, why do that now? Think about that. Think about where it's coming from."

This one won't end any time soon, unless of course the Eagles blink. Instead, our guess is that the team will stand firm, and that Owens will boycott all offseason activities and stay away from training camp. Even if (as we've heard) the team will try to seize his signing bonus, they'll only be entitled to 5/6ths of $2.3 million, since $6.3 million of his up-front coin came in the form of a roster bonus.

So, worst-case scenario, even if he sits out the whole year, is that Owens has to pay back $1.92 million -- and loses $3.25 million in 2005 salary. But we have a feeling that he'll take that risk in order to get a shot at the unrestricted open market for the first time in his career.

BRADY BROACHES CONTRACT STATUS

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is the closest thing to a superstar on a championship team that de-emphasizes individuality.

Still, each individual on the team has a contract, and Brady's expires in two years. Despite efforts to extend his deal, nothing has been finalized, reportedly due to his unwillingness to accept $24 million in bonus money via up to four installments, with some of the money not guaranteed.

"I'd love to be here for the rest of my career, but it's not entirely my decision," Brady said Wednesday, according to The Boston Globe.

"I have two years on my contract and I plan to honor that," he said.

Brady surely realizes by now that, unless the NFL and the union reach agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement before his own contract expires, he'll become an unrestricted free agent in an uncapped year. Even if the team slaps the franchise tag on him in order to restrict his movement, he'll still receive on a one-year basis the equivalent of the top five salaries at the position -- which includes Peyton Manning and Ron Mexico.

Until then, Brady counts $10 million against the cap this year, and a long-term extension surely would reduce that number. But, for now, there's nothing happening.

"If anything changes, we have to come to an agreement, and we're not there," Brady said.

As we've said in the past, Brady likely is smart enough to know that he needs to make a sacrifice on the magnitude of his contract, given that many of the other guys who have helped fuel his success did the same -- directly helping Brady gain the stature that he now enjoys.

But even so, a $24 million bonus is peanuts in comparison to Peyton Manning's $34 million bonus from a year ago, and we think that, if the hang up is whether the full $24 million will be guaranteed, the team should relent, given that all of Manning's money will be paid.

POSTED 9:10 p.m. EDT, April 13, 2005

CASTILLO FESSES UP TO 'ROID USAGE

Apparently hoping to take the sting out of a looming report of a positive test for steroids at the Scouting Combine, Northwestern defensive tackle Luis Castillo sent letters to all 32 NFL teams explaining his basis for taking the substance.

Castillo reportedly tested positive for andro, which the league considers to be part of the "steroid family" (which conjures images of Jimmy No Nuts breaking bread with Uncle Pumpkin Head), and Castillo admits that he took the substance in order to expedite his recovery from an elbow injury.

Castillo's college coach, Randy Walker, also sent letters to each team 'splaining that Castillo never had tested positive for 'roids during his time with the Wildcats.

And as on-again, off-again Profootballtalk.com contributor and sports attorney/agent Ron Del Duca said Wednesday evening on Sporting News Radio with Arnie Spanier, Castillo had no choice but to come clean. Del Duca said that, unlike current pro athletes who can clam up when there's a report of a positive test, Castillo is trying to get into the club, and he needs to persuade teams that he isn't a turd.

So Castillo's agent, Rick Smith, played it right, in our view. With less than ten days to the draft, Smith needs to persuade as many teams as possible that Castillo's name shouldn't be erased from their draft boards. Though Smith might be putting his own reputation on a limb with this one, his willingness to vouch for the kid might keep Castillo from pulling a Clarett.

PACMAN PICKS OFF DIRTY PEE RUMORS

When we wrote a short segment a couple of weeks back regarding the existence of rumors that West Virginia defensive back Pacman Jones might have tested positive for a banned substance at the Scouting Combine, we took great pains to make it clear that we weren't reporting that Jones tested positive, and that we weren't trying to punk Pacman by sharing in this space a rumor that was spreading through the league faster than whooping cough in a whore house.

But, alas, not everyone actually took the time to read the full text of our various stories on the subject, which made clear (we thought) that the whole rumor would be either debunked or confirmed when the teams received their letter from the league listing the guys who had tested positive. Ultimately, we learned that the rumor was indeed bogus even before the letters were issued.

Still, way too many people came away from the report with the misimpression that Pacman tested positive and/or has some type of an issue in this regard. He doesn't.

We also hear that Pacman has spent plenty of time in his visits to various NFL franchises dealing with questions about this non-issue, which has to be frustrating for a kid who should otherwise be enjoying the fruits of his talent as he tours the country.

So we're sorry, Pacman, that the whole thing got misconstrued, taken out of context, and/or blown way out of proportion. Jones was and is clean, and anyone who says otherwise very well might be trying to help get Antrel Rolle or Carlos Rogers drafted before him.

Regarding Rolle, we're amazed by the fact that his stock has gone up based only on a faster-than-expected 40 time in his March Pro Day workout. Many league insiders still project him as an eventual NFL safety, and everyone seems to have forgotten that Rolle was arrested on a felony charge of allegedly striking a police officer in 2004. When the case was dropped, assistant state attorney Michael Grieco candidly admitted that the fact that Rolle's father is the chief of police in nearby Homestead, Florida led to the decision.

Rolle also was suspended by the Big East for one game in 2003 after leaving the sideline to trade punches with then-Virginia Tech defensive back DeAngelo Hall. "It's a very weird deal," Miami coach Larry Coker told The Associated Press at the time. "I am very disappointed in Antrel's immaturity in not thinking about the consequences for the team."

So, of the two, the only guy with actual, documented issues that could call his character into question is Rolle. Sure, Rolle has gotten some unwarranted press in connection with the 49ers' decision to bring him in for a pre-draft visit, which was followed by all sorts of misinformed reports that he actually could be the No. 1 overall pick.

Jones should, in the end, be taken before Rolle. Pacman is faster, and his game is better suited to the league's renewed emphasis on enforcement of the illegal contact rule. If the Titans don't go quarterback at No. 6, we think they should jump on Jones. We otherwise don't see Pacman falling past the Redskins at No. 9.

After all, we doubt that the 'Skins will take another chance on a player from the "U," given coach Joe Gibbs' recent suggestion that, if he knew then what he knows now about former Hurricanes safety Sean Taylor, he wouldn't have been picked by Washington with the No. 5 overall selection a year ago.

POSTED 3:47 p.m. EDT, April 13, 2005

VIKINGS INK KAMPMAN TO OFFER SHEET

Don Seeholzer of The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings have signed Packers restricted free agent defensive end Aaron Kampman to an offer sheet.

The Packers have a week to decide whether to match the offer. If they choose not to do so, they'll receive a fifth-round draft pick as compensation.

Kampman started all 16 games for the Pack at left defensive end in 2004, and notched 4.5 sacks. If he lands in Minny, he likely would end up at the top of the depth chart, in front of 2004 third-rounder Darrion Scott. Also, Kampman's arrival could take the Vikings out of the mix for a defensive end in round one of the April 23 draft, since the right side will be manned by 2004 first-rounder Kenechi Udeze.

Still, it's way too early to buy a purple jersey with "KAMPMAN" stitched on the back. As the Jets learned after signing Broncos tight end Jeb Putzier to an offer sheet, the Vikings might have merely done the Packers' contract negotiations for them.

Then again, maybe the Vikes are merely trying to force the Packers to use up as much of their 2005 cap space as possible, thereby limiting Green Bay's ability to sign post-June 1 cap cuts. The fact that it's only a one-year deal seems to indicate that Minny's motivation is, indeed, to simply force the Pack to pay.

So why would Kampman allow himself to be used as a pawn in this charade? Because one year at whatever money the Vikes offered is likely a lot more than the $656,000 restricted free agent tender that Kampman would otherwise receive from Green Bay.

From his perspective, Kampman gets more coin now, and he still ends up as an unrestricted free agent in 2006.

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

POSTED 6:41 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 7:33 a.m. EDT, April 15, 2005

FINS, BUCS TALKING TRADE?

The Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins and the Tampa Bay Bucs could be flip-flopping their picks in round one, where the Fins have the No. 2 selection and the Bucs choose at No. 5.

Apparently, the Nicktator has persuaded Jon-Boy Gruden that, if the Fins use the pick, they'll take Utah quarterback Alex Smith. We've previously heard that the Dolphins were merely blowing smoke regarding their interest in a quarterback with the No. 2 pick, in the hopes that they could finagle a trade down.

The potential move was triggered, apparently, by reports that the 49ers laid a positive foundation on a potential contract with the agent for Cal quarterback Aaron Rodgers, which would leave only one marquee quarterback on the board.

The rumor also indicates that the Bucs might have written off Chris Simms, a third-round choice in 2003 who whiffed in his chance to start last season.

Last month, Saban seemed to be leery of drafting a quarterback in round one. ''The history of drafting [successful] quarterbacks in the first round is a 30-percent hit,'' Saban said. "I don't know what the odds are on a craps table in Vegas, but I know about that one.''

If the Fins stand firm and draft Smith, it could be bad news for A.J. Feeley. Our guess is that offensive coordinator Scott Linehan will want Gus Frerotte to show Smith the ropes in Linehan's offense, which by the way features a lot of those shotgun formations that Smith utilized as a Ute.

FRIDAY MORNING ONE-LINERS

Some 'Zona fans learned to their chagrin that the costs of their tickets have been hiked by a whopping 54 percent.

Jets coach Herman Edwards says that WR Laveranues Coles will not require surgery on his injured big toe.

Edwards also didn't rule out signing CB Ty Law.

Lions CEO Matt Millen says that the team wasn't lying about its visit with Utah QB Alex Smith last week.

Former Jags LB Tommy Hendricks says that he was "wrongfully fired" by the team.

A background check on Louisville RB Eric Shelton generated two incorrect reports of criminal activity.

Texas RB Cedric Benson is trying to distance himself from former Texas RB Ricky Williams.

Pats WR David Givens and DE Jarvis Green plan to sign their $1.43 million one-year restricted free agent tenders.

The Nicktator answers questions on the record for The Palm Beach Post, addressing among other things reports from LSU players who have expressed approval of new coach Les Miles' non-screaming style.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reviews the Rams' schedule game-by-game and predicts a 10-6 finish (we didn't realize Hornheads had home-and-home series with the Roughriders, Alouettes, and Argos).

Miami DE Jason Taylor recognizes that his freedom to rush from the edges will be curtailed under the Nicktator's new defensive schemes.

The Colts have re-signed CB Nick Harper.

Reggie Fowler hopes to close on the purchase of the Vikings by May 24 (of the year two-thousand-and-hell-hath-frozen-over).

The Lions think that WR Charles Rogers' two consecutive right collar bone fractures are the result of bad luck, not bad bones.

The South Carolina State Board of Medical Examiners has suspended Dr. James Shortt due in part to his distribution of steroid scripts to Panthers players.

The Bears have signed former Cardinals LB LeVar Woods.

Vikings season ticket holders renewed at a low rate of 90 percent.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Buccaneers | Interested in Bills' Henry - from www.KFFL.com
                  Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:35:12 -0700

Roger Mills, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Bruce Allen said he contracted the Buffalo Bills about the possibility of working out a trade to land RB Travis Henry. Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, said he has talked with the Buccaneers and anticipates additional conversation. Should the Buccaneers work out a trade to land Henry, it could greatly alter their plans for the first round of the NFL Draft.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

POSTED 7:36 a.m. EDT, April 16, 2005

VIKES TRYING TO MOVE UP?

Word is that the Minnesota Vikings are trying to make a move into the top end of the draft in order to get their hooks into Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards or USC receiver Mike Williams.

The Vikes, we hear, are offering their two first-round picks -- No. 7 and No. 18 overall -- and they hope to get into the 1, 2, or 3 slot.

The 49ers might be the most interested in making the move, because it would allow them to draft Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle with the seventh pick (if the Titans don't at No. 6), and the Niners would then be able to address another of their various needs eleven spots later.

Based on the round one contract numbers from the past couple of seasons, it looks like it'd actually be cheaper for the Vikings to pay the No. 1 pick than to pay 7 and 18 together. Also, since the Vikes have beefed up their defense through trades and free agency, they don't have a glaring need at any position that would justify a top-20 pick.

The biggest need, obviously, is at receiver, with the Vikings trading Randy Moss and, as a consequence, seeing their season ticket renewals drop to 90 percent. And the problem is that, at No. 7, there's no guarantee that either Edwards or Williams will be on the board after the first six picks.

NFLPA TOLD T.O. SO

According to The Washington Post, the NFL Players Association advised receiver Terrell Owens not to sign the contract that the Eagles were offering a year ago.

Per The Post, Owens ignored the recommendation because he said that he trusted Eagles coach Andy Reid.

This report highlights the reality that, in the end, Owens became the master of his destiny when he put his signature on the seven-year deal. He knew was the salaries were. He knew what the bonus was. He knew that, given his age, the team might not choose to keep him around for salaries that spike significantly in 2007, when he is scheduled to be paid $5.5 million. That number increases $1 million per year through 2010, when it peaks at $8.5 million.

Most importantly, T.O. knew that there was a two-year gap between the first $8.5 million in bonus payments and the remaining $7.5 million, and that the team would be able, if it so elected, to part ways with him after the 2005 season and avoid the back end of the boni.

He knew. That's the key.

And let's get one thing straight here. The fact that a guy has fired his agent doesn't mean that the player gets a mulligan.

Owens signed the deal, and now he's stuck with it.

Sure, he can ignore the contract, if he so chooses. He can report to the team as late as Week Ten of the regular season and still get credit for the year, which likely would prompt the team at that point to cut him before his roster bonus and option bonus become due in March 2006, giving him his long-awaited shot at the open market.

But we're hearing that the Eagles might have inserted language in Owens' $6.2 million roster bonus paid last year that would allow the team to recover all of part of both the roster bonus and his $2.3 million signing bonus if Owens breaches the deal. So, in the end, Owens could be in the same boat as Ricky Williams if T.O. decides to stay away until the team blinks.

A week ago, we thought that the Eagles would indeed pay him or trade him at some point before September. But we now believe that Owens and his new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, have applied too much pressure too soon, and that the Eagles will not, under any circumstances, yield to T.O.

And given that the Eagles are now reportedly interested in Bills running back Travis Henry, our guess is that Philly previously had planned to go running back at No. 31, but that they now will be looking for a receiver at that spot, in the event that Owens holds out.

SATURDAY ONE-LINERS

The Arizona Republic reports that Pat Tillman had planned to return to the NFL for the 2005 after completing his second tour of duty in Afghanistan.

For a great take on the T.O. situation, check out the musings of Phil "The Shill" Sheridan of The Philadelphia Inquirer

The Packers have signed former Browns S Earl Little.

The Redskins deny that they are talking to the Raiders about a trade for CB Philip Buchanon.

Titans QB Steve McNair says he's throwing better than at any point in the 2004 season, and WR Drew Bennett agrees.

Former Falcons LB Chris Draft visited the Packers this past week.

The Seahawks are focusing their attention in round one to a group of five players who could be available at No. 23.

The Bears are willing to trade down from No. 4, but are happy to stand pat.

With the Bucs possibly trading up to No. 2 to nab QB Alex Smith, they might end up addressing their tailback situation by trading for Travis Henry.

The 'Skins recently sniffed around Tennessee State hoopster Rod Flowers, but opted in the end not to bring him in for a workout.

For the first time in team history, the Vikings won't face a division foe in their first four games.

Steelers S Chris Hope and RB Verron Haynes signed their one-year restricted free agent tenders of $656,000.

CB Andre Dyson will visit the Jets this weekend, given that CB Donnie Abraham is thinking about packing it in.

The Browns reportedly are thinking about taking LB Derrick Johnson at No. 3.

Rams WR Dane Looker will sign his one-year, $656,000 restricted free agent tender.

Titans G.M. Floyd Reese suggests that the team isn't interested in trading up or down from No. 6.

The Browns might want to swing a trade with the Pats for QB Rohan Davey.

Vikings WR Kelly "Guns 'N' 'Froses" Campbell says he'll be cleared on weapons and weed charges before the 2005 season begins.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Get Site Clothing Here!

POSTED 10:32 a.m. EDT, April 17, 2005

DENVER STILL WANTS OUT OF ROUND ONE

We continue to hear that the Denver Broncos are trying hard to get out of round one in 2005, and we've now learned that they're hoping to finagle an extra first round pick for next year in exchange.

A league source has confirmed that the Broncos are indeed making calls in an effort to slide down from the 25th overall pick, and per the source the team is asking for a 2006 first-rounder in exchange.

As we see it, if it's gonna happen, it'll happen on draft day, when a team who drafts next in the top half of round two sees a chance to spring back into round one and nail a guy whom they really want, like the Bills did in 2004, when they sent their second round pick to the Cowboys in order to get back into round one, snagging quarterback J.P. Losman.

So don't be surprised if next Saturday a trade is announced after the 24th name is announced in the first round, allowing the Broncos to drop down -- and to pocket a high-end pick in 2006.

BROWNS SNIFFING AROUND PACMAN?

We're hearing rumblings that officials from the Cleveland Browns have been doing some due diligence regarding former West Virginia cornerback Pacman Jones by, at a minimum, talking to one of his former landlords to see what kind of a tenant, person, etc. he was.

Though Jones is regarded as a potential top ten pick -- we think he'll go at No. 6 to the Titans or No. 9 to the Redskins -- the Browns could be looking at Pacman as a possibility if they were to trade down a few spaces.

On Saturday, we reported that the Vikings were looking to move into the top three in order to draft either receiver Braylon Edwards or receiver Mike Williams. If the Vikes make the move with Cleveland, the Browns would slide to No. 7, and would have a realistic shot at Pacman.

Recently, the Browns sent out smoke signals to indicate that they're strongly considering Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson. So if the Browns were to slide to No. 7, a team that wants Johnson might trade up to No. 6 with the Titans, who might otherwise select Jones.

As we've been saying for the past several weeks, it's very difficult to get to the truth this time of year, since no one will reveal their true intentions. But unless the Browns have dispatched investigative teams to the former college towns of every potential top ten pick, it's safe to conclude that they are taking a serious look at Jones.

On the surface, the Browns don't have a need at corner, since they recently signed cornerback Gary Baxter and since they also have Daylon McCutcheon, the team's only remaining draft choice from 1999, its first year back in the league. But with the rest of the Browns' starting secondary already out the door with the arrival of new G.M. Phil Savage and new coach Romeo Crennel, it wouldn't surprise us to see McCutcheon get run, too -- if not before the 2005 season then after it.

The Browns also arguably have a need at the kick return position, where Richard Alston averaged 22.1 yards per last year, which was good for 22nd place among other NFL kick returners. The punt return gig currently is in capable hands, however, with Dennis Northcutt, who was third in the league in 2004, averaging 12 yards a return.

NO NEW DEAL FOR TAYLOR

A year ago, the Redskins passed on Miami tight end Kellen Winslow due in part to their history of bad experiences with his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston. Several months before the 2004 draft, the Postons claimed that the 'Skins deftly had removed a $6.5 million roster bonus from the final draft of linebacker LaVar Arrington's contract extension, which for reasons we'll never quite comprehend the agents didn't read.

So the 'Skins instead selected Miami safety Sean Taylor with the fifth overall pick. Winslow was drafted by the Browns with the sixth selection.

Taylor had hired agent Drew Rosenhaus before the draft, but then oddly fired him in the days thereafter. Taylor then signed with Eugene Mato and Jeff Moorard, who negotiated a contract with the 'Skins before Kellen Winslow had signed his deal with the Browns.

But when Winslow's deal ended up being comparable to if not better than Taylor's, Sean sacked Moorad and Mato and returned to Rosenhaus, who since then has been hoping to land Taylor a contract that reflects more favorably Taylor's self-perceived value.

Even though Taylor is now staying away from the Redskins' involuntary voluntary workouts in an effort to display his displeasure with his deal, we're hearing that the Redskins simply will not renegotiate the contract. Period.

In hindsight, by the way, Taylor ended up doing a lot better than Winslow, since the Postons' failed to drop that huge minimum play-time incentive bonus into years other than 2005, when a broken leg kept Winslow from bagging the money.

Regardless of the value of Winslow's deal, Taylor really doesn't have much leverage here, given that he'll only jeopardize his signing bonus if he at some point extends his boycott of involuntary voluntary workouts into the realm of the truly involuntary sessions.

LAVAR LOOKING TO GET OUT?

Although the cap consequences of a trade or release of linebacker LaVar Arrington would likely force the Redskins to carry only 36 guys on the roster this season, Arrington could be thinking about making a move out of D.C.

Last week, Arrington sounded off on the team for the manner in which his knee injury has been handled, suggesting that the organization rushed him back to the field too quickly in 2004, and that the team didn't properly publicize his recent setback, which resulted in arthroscopic surgery.

And we've heard that Arrington recently was in Cincinnati visiting with some Bengals players. The Bengals head coach, by the way, is former Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis.

So what does this mean? Likely nothing.

But maybe something.

Arrington has been with the Redskins since 2000, and he has seen a revolving door of head coaches and a constant steam of unfulfilled expectations. At some point, he's sure to conclude that enough is enough.

Even if Arrington would love to leave the 'Skins and rejoin Lewis in the Queen City, the cap simply won't let it happen.

Of course, the Redskins should have thought about that before they gave receiver Laveranues Coles a ticket out of town simply because he was unhappy (hey, Laveranues, plenty of people aren't happy with their jobs, but they still drag their asses out of bed every day and go to work). By giving in to Coles, the 'Skins established a potentially dangerous precedent that might cause a guy like Arrington to pout and cry and piss and moan until he gets a ticket out of town, too.

Either way, it's bad news for a team whose head coach is trying desperately to put a happy face on a continuously deteriorating situation.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Get Site Clothing Here!

POSTED 12:12 a.m. EDT, April 18, 2005

CBA EXTENSION ON THE WAY?

Word around the league is that an extension to the collective bargaining agreement could be hammered out within the next several weeks.

And we're told that the looming deal, which would continue the league's unprecedented era of labor peace, could clamp down significantly on the big-money deals being paid to first-round draft picks.

As a result, look for a potential run on rookie signings in the days and weeks immediately after next weekend's draft. Specifically, we hear that IMG's Tom Condon (who has keen insight regarding the NFLPA's doings since he represents its Executive Director, Gene Upshaw) is suddenly very interested in getting Utah quarterback Alex Smith under contract, either with the 49ers or with the team that eventually calls out his name on draft day.

But if the new rules will restrict the escalators and other tools for putting extra money in the pocketses of young players, why would the teams want to rush things? The concern is that there could be a lot of guys who don't make it to training camp on time as the teams and the agents try to digest and apply the new rules that soon could be put in place, so some teams will choose to get their guys under contract even at a higher price.

RODGERS, NINERS DEAL COMING?

Notwithstanding Tom Condon's newfound desire to get Alex Smith under contract with the 49ers as the No. 1 pick, word is that Cal quarterback Aaron Rodgers could be signed, sealed, and delivered as soon as Tuesday.

The Niners have conducted bargaining sessions with Rodgers' and Smith's representatives, and we hear that San Fran will be talking on Monday night to Team Braylon Edwards.

But don't assume Rodgers will ultimately be the Niners' guy. The team has played this situation well, and the absence of clear-cut No. 1 pick coupled with the potentially negative impact of a new CBA on rookie deals could help the 49ers to come away with a great contract at the top of the draft.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

POSTED 6:17 a.m. EDT, April 19, 2005

WHO'LL BE IN THE MNF BOOTH?

According to The New York Times, no decision has been made regarding whether ESPN will use its current Sunday night crew in 2006 for Monday night games, or whether ESPN will bring over Al Michaels and John Madden from sister station ABC.

Our suggestion is "none of the above."

The Sunday night team of Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, and Paul Maguire is nothing short of dreadful, from their Mexican sycophancy to their crotch-nuzzling of Brett Favre (you'll notice that we didn't make use the word "crotch" in our reference to Ron Mexico) to their belief that every guy who makes a good play in their presence is the best player at his position in the league . . . ever.

Paul Zimmerman a/k/a Dr. Mexico of Sports Illustrated ripped this trio a new one in his seventh annual commentator awards, and we were glad to see such raw candor. As he wrote:

"They used to provide a teeny weeny bit of information. Now they provide none. And they contradict themselves, often from one series to the next. I don't think they're really fully aware of what they're saying. Theismann in the early KC-Denver game: 'The single most classic rivalry in TV.' Hmmm. Does Chicago still play Green Bay?

"Maguire on Cleveland-Baltimore, Week 9: 'Jamal Lewis averages six yards a carry. All you have to do is keep giving it to him, and you'll keep getting in second-and-four situations.' My God! Brian Billick must be told immediately!

"Theismann, Bills-Patriots, Week 10, after Brady throws a pick: 'You've got to figure the receiver went where he shouldn't.' Absolutely. Great QBs never throw interceptions on their own.

"And through all this, the slow, half goofy drone of Patrick, with every word emphasized, no matter how meaningless. 'And tonight! We have sixty-three! Thousand! Fans!' (Whew).

"Oh, we get some inside stuff all right. Theismann on his exclusive interview with Pittsburgh defensive coach Dick LeBeau during the Steelers-Jaguars telecast: 'I saw Dick LeBeau before the game, and I told him, "Nice to have you back," and do you know what he told me?' No, what? '"Nice to be back."'

"And of course, there's Suzy Kolber and her sideline essays that run right through the live action, and finally, some serious pregame handicapping -- again from Theismann. This was before the contest in which Oakland upset the Broncos: 'They can just forget about throwing the ball to Jerry Porter when Champ Bailey's on him. There's no place to get the ball in.' That was the game in which Porter caught touchdowns off Bailey for 42 and 14 yards, plus another 52-yarder off him. But so what? Who remembers what is said?"

Michaels and Madden didn't fare much better in Zimmerman's assessment, and we think Dr. Z was being too kind. Michaels is the typical velvet-voiced puppet -- the guy who talks and talk and talks but in the end says nothing. Really, can anyone remember anything this guy has said other than "Do you believe in miracles? Yes?"

Frankly, at the moment Michaels uttered those words, when the last few seconds were ticking down on the 1980 Olympic USA hockey team's win over the Soviet Union, anything that Michaels (or anyone else, for that matter) had said would have been forever tattooed onto our collective national memory, such as:

"Am I wearing women's underwear? Yes!"

As for Madden, the game has passed him by. In 1990. Yeah, he's an icon (thanks in part to his video game franchise), but he no longer brings anything of substance to broadcasts of modern-day NFL games.

So in which direction should ESPN go? Actually, the network would have been in position to put together a booth that would have evoked memories of the original MNF team of Gifford-Meredith-Cosell if Rush Limbaugh hadn't gotten run off from the network's pregame show, and if Deion Sanders didn't grandstand for more coin. (Officially, we don't know why the network dumped Sanders from its huntin'-and-feeshin' shows, but our guess is that Sanders' skewed view of his own worth had something to do with it, since that same character flaw sealed his fate at CBS.) By throwing those two into a booth with Chris Berman handling the play-by-play, the product would have been entertaining, to say the least.

Based on the current ESPN lineup, we think that the network will end up going semi-safe, but semi-controversial with its Monday night booth by teaming Berman, Steve Young, and Jim Rome.

Rome is the closest thing to Cosell among the current crop of talking heads, and the chemistry would be a lot more volatile if ESPN were to use a more outspoken former player, like Michael Irvin or Joe Namath (with an open bar) or (from Rome's perspective) Jim Everett.

But our guess is that, in the end, the powers-that-be will try to avoid setting up a potential free-for-all while at the same time being edgy. Their best bet will be to combine Rome with a couple of the standard puppet-type straight men.

TUESDAY MORNING ONE-LINERS

The Redskins could be sending the No. 9 overall pick to the Raiders for CB Philip Buchanon and Oakland's second-round pick -- and our guess is that the speed-obsessed Raiders would pounce on Pacman Jones.

Jason Cole of The Miami Herald reports that the Vikings have talked to the 49ers and Dolphins about a trade up in the first round.

WR Antwaan Randle El is listed as a starting receiver by the Steelers, but the team expects a spirited camp battle between El and newcomer Cedrick Wilson.

Bill Williamson of The Denver Post reports that the Broncos are interested in trading down in round one (now where have we heard that before? . . . twice?).

NFLPA grand poobah Gene Upshaw told Mark Maske of The Washington Post on Monday that he expects an extension to be hammered out soon as to the labor contract between the NFL and the union (there's another one that sounds vaguely familiar to us).

The Texans have signed WR Reggie Swinton.

POSTED 9:28 p.m. EDT; UPDATED, 10:03 p.m. EDT, April 18, 2005

T.O. COULD OWE $1.725 MILLION

We've gotten a look-see at receiver Terrell Owens 2004 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, and we've concluded that T.O. would owe the team only (only?) $1.725 million if he refuses to report as part of his ongoing -- but suddenly silent -- salary dispute with the team.

We'd previously heard that the Eagles might have added language to the deal enabling the team to go after all of part of Owens' $6.2 million roster bonus, paid to him when he signed the contract in 2004.

As it turns out, if Owens' decided not to show up until the tenth week of the regular season (which would qualify him for a year's credit toward the $5 million roster bonus and $2.5 million option bonus due in March 2006), Owens would forfeit $1.725 million of money earned and roughly $1.9 million in 2005 salary.

Given that he's already made $8.5 million and that he hopes to cash in ASAFP on his better-than-expected 2004 season, our guess is that Owens will, at a minimum, give serious consideration to the possibility of standing firm. If, after all, he thinks he can get more than $10 million on the open market (which we now doubt in light of his recent behavior), he should be willing to pony up $1.725 million to get there.

LAVAR WON'T LAST BEYOND JUNE 2006

Even if the Redskins have decided that the sun is setting on their relationship with linebacker LaVar Arrington (or vice-versa), the raw contract numbers show that there's simply no way the 'Skins can afford a divorce in 2005.

Arrington's cap number of $5.54 million in 2005 would skyrocket by $12.165 million if the 'Skins tried to trade Arrington this season, or if they were to dump him before June 1.

After June 1, the 'Skins would carry a $5 million cap charge for 2005, and a cap hit of $12.165 million for 2006.

The more likely outcome is that the 'Skins will dump Arrington after June 1, 2006, when the cap hit would be $5 million in 2006 and $7.165 million in 2007. Because the team wisely finagled a July 15 due date for Arrington's $6.5 million 2006 roster bonus, the team will be able to push him out the door without incurring a cap charge of $12.165 million in 2006.

There's a catch, however -- as a league source told us Monday night, the 'Skins would be required to take the full $12.165 million cap charge in 2006 if the collective bargaining agreement is not extended, since so-called dead money cannot be pushed into the uncapped year of 2007.

If, on the other hand, the 'Skins were to keep Arrington, his cap number would rise to $11.5 million in 2006, although the team has the right to guarantee the $6.5 million payment, thereby spreading the cap consequence over the final four years of the deal.

ESPN LANDS MNF

They've come a long way from tiddly winks and tractor pulls.

As the sports empire known as ESPN hadn't clearly proven its legitimacy through the systematic acquisition of contracts with each of the four major sports over the past 18 years, the Boys in Bristol have finagled the Monday Night Football package from its sister network, ABC.

ESPN reportedly will pay a billion bucks a year ($1.1 billion to be exact) for the rights to televise 17 football games for eight years.

The move ends ABC's 35-year hammerlock on the Monday Night franchise, which survived the tumult of the 1994 and 1998 contract negotiations, which saw the emergence of FOX ace out CBS and then NBC, respectively.

And the Sunday night package moves from ESPN to NBC in 2006, leaving ABC as the odd man out in the newly configured package of broadcast rights deals. NBC will pay $600 million a year over six years for the Sunday night package.

NBC also will telecast the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2012, and the network also will air two Pro Bowls. The other Super Bowls will be broadcast by FOX and CBS.

MONDAY NIGHT ONE-LINERS

Our condolences to the Panthers, the Saints, and the family of Sam Mills, who held off cancer as long as he could.

Former Panthers QB Rodney Peete has retired, and will take a position with FOX's Best Mutherf---n' Sports Show Period (we know that's not really the title, but it would be great if it were).

The Bears have parted ways with OL Rex Tucker.

The Dolphins have re-signed C Seth McKinney to a one-year contract.

The Packers have re-signed QB Craig Nall.

Clemson CB Justin Miller has been arrested for disorderly conduct and a noise violation.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Broncos | First-round Pick Traded to Redskins - from www.KFFL.com
                            Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:55:07 -0700

The Denver Broncos have traded their 2005 first-round pick, No. 25 overall, to the Washington Redskins in exchange for three draft choices. The Redskins will send the Broncos their third-round draft choice (No. 76 overall) in the 2005 NFL Draft along with their first-round and fourth-round selections in the 2006 NFL Draft.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

POSTED 8:26 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 8:57 p.m. EDT, April 19, 2005

'SKINS PREPPING FOR MOVE TO TOP?

A league source tells us that the Washington Redskins plan to parlay their Tuesday acquisition of the 25th overall pick in the draft, from the Broncos, into an effort to move into the top four picks, in an effort to snare receiver Braylon Edwards.

It remains to be seen whether a package of No. 9 and No. 25 will be enough to make the move up to one of the top four picks. Recently, the Vikings would neither confirm nor deny our report that the team was thinking about using No. 7 and No. 18 as ammo for a jump to the first, second, or third pick in the draft, likewise in an effort to nab Edwards.

As to the Redskins, they gave up a third-round choice in 2005 plus a first-round and fourth-round selection in 2006 for the Broncos 25th overall selection.

Earlier on Tuesday, 'Skins exec Vinny Cerrato denied reports that the team might trade the No. 9 pick to the Raiders for disgruntled cornerback Philip Buchanon, a former first-rounder from Miami.

Although we're not inclined to take any official team statements at face value this time of year, we can't imagine why the 'Skins would want to acquire yet another former player from the "U," given their recent experiences with receiver Santana Moss and safety Sean Taylor.

And before anyone akses us why the 'Skins don't make a play for Buchanon's teammate, Charles Woodson, remember this -- Woodson is represented by the Poston brothers, and the first order of business for Dan Snyder and company would be to sign Woodson to a long-term deal. Given the still-lingering LaVar Arrington dispute (pitting the Postons against the 'Skins), the chances of Woodson wearing a helmet with the profile of Injun Joe are slim and none.

Regarding the 'Skins-Broncos trade, we previously had reported -- twice -- that the Broncos were desperate to bail out of round one this year. And we never imagined that a deal would be accomplished prior to draft day, when a team would have made a move with a specific target in mind, a la the Bills and J.P. Losman a year ago.

The fact that the 'Skins would make the move four days before the draft, then, suggests to us that the move might have been step one in a two-part effort to land at the high end of the draft order.

FINS LOOKING AT BRAYLON, TOO?

Although the Dolphins are one of the teams at the top end of the draft who might be looking to trade down, word is that the Fins could be leaning toward drafting receiver Braylon Edwards, if forced to use the No. 2 overall pick.

Previously, the Fins had been sending out smoke signals regarding their supposed interest in quarterback Alex Smith at No. 2. But perhaps the presence of offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, who presided over a pass-happy attack in Minnesota, might want to nail down a guy who could become the go-to guy in South Florida.

Then again, the team also might be speaking with forked fin regarding their interest in Edwards, however, in order to persuade a team like the Vikes or 'Skins not to aim for No. 3 or lower if/when an offer to move up is made, since both teams supposedly want Edwards.

OWNERS STILL HAGGLING OVER SHARING

Although we've heard that the NFL could hammer out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players' union within the coming weeks, no deal with the union can occur until the owners come up with a plan for sharing currently unshared revenues.

And without rehashing all of the details, we're going to reiterate our suggestion for breaking the log jam.

Instead of including all unshared revenues within the salary cap calculation -- and thus eating into the margins of teams who, for whatever reason, earn less money -- we believe that the NFL should tax all unshared revenues and then distribute the total unshared revenues across the entire league via a pool in which all players participate, regardless of team, based on factors such as the player's cap number.

Or, perhaps to quiet the growing notion that players who have "outperformed" their contracts should be paid accordingly, why not devise a formula for distributing the league-wide pool of unshared revenue based on statistical achievement by position?

This way, the players would negotiate their contracts with their teams under the salary cap based on shared revenues, and then the players can go out and bust their asses with the understanding that, the better they do, the greater the piece of the total unshared revenues they'll see.

Regardless of the system that's ultimately chosen, we don't think that the owners will agree to share presently unshared revenues, and we likewise don't think that the teams with low unshared revenues will agree to a salary cap increase based on monies that they simply don't earn in significant amounts.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Redskins | Eyeing Campbell With No. 25 Overall Selection - from www.KFFL.com
                                Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:45:44 -0700

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Washington Redskins are hoping to land NFL Draft prospect QB Jason Campbell (Auburn) with the No. 25 overall selection in the NFL Draft, a choice that was acquired recently in a trade with the Denver Broncos. Redskin coaches and scouts regard Campbell as on par with QB Alex Smith of Utah and California QB Aaron Rodgers, generally regarded as the top two quarterback prospects. A lengthy film study of Campbell further strengthened Washington's resolve to move on the Auburn quarterback.

Texans | Buchanon Acquired - from www.KFFL.com
                                Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:39:41 -0700

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans have acquired CB Phillip Buchanon in a trade with the Oakland Raiders. In exchange, the Texans have sent second- and third-round choices in this year's draft to Oakland. Buchanon still has two years remaining on his original rookie deal, with base salaries of $700,000 for 2005 and $800,000 for 2006.

Comment

Working...