X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conmee
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Mar 2003

Gentlemen,

Greetings from Hong Kong... have been travelling to much to take the Notre Dame abuse in this forum... but well-deserved.... lol

Let's face it, even if LSU crushes ND by 4 TDs, the BCS and the Sugar Bowl still win, all because of the draw, we all know that. As long as it's more about the money than it is about the integrity of a bonafide playoff, even the BCS-Florida game is a travesty... the fact that if OSU somehow loses and Michigan wins, do we have another split title?

My hope is that somehow the Irish pull out a win, I'm tired of the drought... can't even remmeber the last bowl win... decades ago... lol

I'm looking forward to a traditional Rose Bowl with a USC-Michigan matchup, looks like the best of all the bowl games.

Icon.

GO IRISH!!!
    An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
    hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• houseofpain
      Head Fluffer
      • Feb 2005

The fact is Michigan didn't even win their conference title. So no, they don't deserve to be in.

It was wrong in 2003 when the BCS allowed us (Oklahoma) in the Sugar Bowl without winning our conference. It was wrong in 2001 when they let Nebraska in, without even winning their conference DIVISION. 2001, Nebraska didn't even play in the conference championship game.

All that aside, after the USC/Michigan game, Michigan was still #2 in the BCS. Tell me how they got worse without playing any other games. The system is jacked up and it needs to be fixed. I say take you power six conferences, have a playoff between the four best of each conference. Take four mid major conferences, have a playoff between their four best. Then you've got ten teams who are all conference champions, you take the two highest rated teams, give them byes. And you have a ten team playoff between ten conference chamipons.
      EAT US AND SMILE!
      LOOK WHO'S BACK IN CIRCULATION!
      DAMAGE INC!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
        This is exactly why there HAS to be a playoff.

Your telling me a second meeting in a PLAYOFF wouldn't have everyone jacked up about 10 times as much? C'mon.

So is that the criteria? Everyone would be jacked up 10 times as much? Again, WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT OF THE FIRST GAME? What good did it do for OSU? Fuck, if they were going to play twice in a row, why not sit people, not show them everything you've got. You don't think Tressel and Carr have a fucking playbook for the other team? So you bring that out, and win the game, and for what? What's the point! You devalue the game...period. Michigan FUCKING LOSES, AND STILL GETS THE FUCKING NATIONAL TITLE SHOT! It makes no fucking sense. Now, you'll want to say they are the two best teams. That may be so, but let me ask you this. How often, in a tournament, do the true BEST TWO TEAMS MAKE IT? NEVER! Rare. Tournaments rarely benefit the top ranked teams because they have the bullseyes on them. They benefit the unworthy teams that have nothing to lose...period.

I know, let's play the game again! Then, when OSU kicks their ass, we can play the game AGAIN, because shit, Michigan would still be the second best team.

These fucking polls have no criteria.

What is it based on? Strength of schedule, performance against top teams, a gut feeling? Everyone votes with different criteria. The politics makes it unbearable. These matchups have everything to do with the usual...wanting controversy as Michigan pounds the living shit out of USC and Ohio State wins. They love the attention!

Have some balls and put the two best teams against each other for ONCE...JUST ONCE!
        Didn't it happen last year?

And again, quit making Florida sound like some bitch of an also ran is just ridiculous. If you want a FAIR judge of who should play OSU, make Michigan and Florida play each other. Then the winner plays OSU the next week.

Just because they played each other once this year means they shouldn't to decide #1?? WHA???? You've lost me. It is what it all boils down to in the end...wanting the inevitable controversy where two schools can claim "success" and both games generate maximum revenue.
        You know, you've got me here. I mean, shit, having teams playing each other, and one wins should AUTOMATICALLY GUARANTEE A REMATCH! Shit. I know, let's have TWO NCAA championship hoops games!!!! Fuck it. Shit, the team THAT LOSES SHOULD GET ANOTHER CHANCE! Two schools claim success? ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT OHIO STATE IS THE ONLY MAJOR CONFERENCE SCHOOL TO GO UNDEFEATED?

Who else claims "success?" Michigan? What do they have to hang their hat? Say they keep whining about how much better they are than Florida? SO FUCKING WHAT! They lost to OSU. If in a real tournament, that you are screaching for, Michigan were to lose to Ohio State the game before a title game, but were still BETTER than the teams in the other side of the bracket, would you WANT THEM TO PLAY AGAIN IN THE TITLE GAME? Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

You are using the rankings to benefit you, and to bitch about in the same conversation. I'll get back to that in a second.

I still say, based on everything I have seen that Michigan is the 2nd best team. Florida is # 2 because of what? A 7 point win over State?

Wasn't Michigan ahead of Florida by 84 points when they played their last game? It makes no sense to me to say that Michigan doesn't belong here and NOT want a playoff to reconcile it?:confused:
        Okay Mr. Criteria...you base your RANKINGS on what? You make note of Florida's near loss to their biggest rival, Florida State? Have you ever heard of a rival, playing out of their minds, against their biggest rival? No, never heard of it. I mean, USC rolled over UCLA...oh. What about Michigan almost losing to BALL FUCKING STATE? HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT? There isn't a world in any year that Ball State is as good as Florida fucking State, even this year. And Ball fucking State moved the ball on Michigan like their defense was fucking Crepe paper. Oh, wait...are we going to make an excuse for that one? Maybe they were thinking ahead to Ohio State? I mean, Florida couldn't have been looking ahead to THEIR SEC title game.

So seriously, you base YOUR criteria for ranking #2 on WHAT?

The polls, which you so nicely mention last to help out your cause. You use that to show that Michigan should be #2 since they were ranked #2. This after you shredded the polls for no criteria. So, are you saying that you bash the polls because they don't know what the fuck they are doing, but go with the polls because they have Michigan ranked #2?

It makes no sense.

You want to make everything FAIR?

Seriously, tell me who a playoff is FAIR too?

Is it fair to the #1 ranked team who beat their heads in for 12 weeks to get the #1 slot?

or is it fair to the also rans that fell behind them?

You want to sell me...sell me on a fucking plus one (still a screw job to the #1 team most year).

Most years, there are 2 clear teams at the end of the bowls that most say should play again (except last year). Let them play.

But a tournament? Rare is the day that there are 5 teams that are worth a fucking damn to actually play in a football tournament.

If, as you say, Michigan and OSU are so far ahead of Florida (at three), LSU (at four), USC (at five), Boise State...and on and on and on...why let them have a chance in a playoff?

Again...it makes no sense...

I'm all for a plus 1, but all the folks that think the playoff is the ONLY way...or the best way? Nah.
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

You could sell me on a division champion tournament...if, and only if, you straightened out some of the conferences...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
            If you want a FAIR judge of who should play OSU, make Michigan and Florida play each other. Then the winner plays OSU the next week.

That is a great idea.
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin

Who else claims "success?" Michigan? What do they have to hang their hat? Say they keep whining about how much better they are than Florida? SO FUCKING WHAT! They lost to OSU.

If in a real tournament, that you are screaching for, Michigan were to lose to Ohio State the game before a title game, but were still BETTER than the teams in the other side of the bracket, would you WANT THEM TO PLAY AGAIN IN THE TITLE GAME? Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

You are using the rankings to benefit you, and to bitch about in the same conversation. I'll get back to that in a second.

The polls, which you so nicely mention last to help out your cause. You use that to show that Michigan should be #2 since they were ranked #2. This after you shredded the polls for no criteria. So, are you saying that you bash the polls because they don't know what the fuck they are doing, but go with the polls because they have Michigan ranked #2?

It makes no sense.

Exactly my point.

My argument was not clear and you were kind enough to point out the inconsistencies.

What I am saying is the playoff is necessary because of what happened here.

I too want the regular season games to matter. But in this case the #2 team went to # 3 because guys like you say "Well, they lost so why play the game again?"

That does make sense to me, but then how do you explain how Michigan dropped 160 or so points to lose their #2 ranking WITHOUT PLAYING A FUCKING GAME. Worse, the team that jumped ahead of them played mediocre at best.

You cannot tell me that that makes any sense. On balance I'd say Michigan playing for the title makes the most sense out of two ridiculous scenarios.

I am not using the rankings to help my case when it suits me, rather to point out the insanity of it all. There is no good way to resolve this. If Michigan is #2, them you are right, OSU has beat them so it is kind of fucked. Even though it was a great game and only a three point win...a win is a win.

But you can't have a situation where what is probably the 2nd best team in Michigan is fucked over because there isn't a playoff . It's like rigging games by engaging in these backdoor politics.

The ranking system, if it is to last , should have some integrity, otherwise no one can put any legitimacy on the #1. Right now, no one is buying that this is anything resembling legit.

THAT is why there needs to be a playoff OR end the BS politics that result in ridiculous ranking changes that suit those in power in the BCS.
              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Brett
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It's going to be a moot point if USC beats Michigan.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                  I am not using the rankings to help my case when it suits me, rather to point out the insanity of it all. There is no good way to resolve this. If Michigan is #2, them you are right, OSU has beat them so it is kind of fucked. Even though it was a great game and only a three point win...a win is a win.

But you can't have a situation where what is probably the 2nd best team in Michigan is fucked over because there isn't a playoff . It's like rigging games by engaging in these backdoor politics.
                  Did the 2 best teams play in the Super Bowl last year?

Do the 2 best teams ever play in the NCAA tournament?

If the two best teams play in the AFC championship, do they play each other again the next week?

No

No

and

No

If you are trying to make a fucking sell that a playoff GETS THE TWO BEST TEAMS AT THE END...

Than you are flat out wrong.

It rarely, if ever does.

Let's define this once and for all...

Now, if you say you want the two hottest teams to play each other...

then you make your case for a playoff...

and even then...you aren't selling on the two best teams...

Or...you can say, "at least it was settled on the field."

and then...of course...you can say that OSU already beat Michigan...

Again...people are saying PLAYOFF...

as if that is a fucking difinitive way of getting THE TWO BEST TEAMS to play...

You saying Florida is "mediocre" at best, is pure opinion...period.

Florida has every bit as right to play in the title game as Michigan does...period.

Again, people keep talking about Michigans "rights" in all of this, and what's "fair."

Please.

They lost, they are done.

End of Story.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

It's still fucked

Michigan will win by 14.
                    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

USC has a tendency to play to the level of their foe...

I will be curious to see how they respond to not playing in the BCS title game.

I know it's the Rose Bowl...but it's a let down...

of course...the same could be said for scUM...

Comment

Working...