TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Dloc...did you box??

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
      Ill give Leonard props for fighting a smart fight..that was 15 rds too I think..against a guy that had a chip on his shoulder and came non-stop the entire time. But he didnt win..
      No, it was 12 rounds if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Yeah, what a bum....

Major World Titles:

WBC Welterweight Champion (147 lbs)

(2) WBC Welterweight Champion (147 lbs)

WBA Light Middleweight Champion (154 lbs)

WBA Welterweight Champion (147 lbs)

WBC Middleweight Champion (160 lbs)

WBC Super Middleweight Champion (168 lbs)

WBC Light Heavyweight Champion (175 lbs)
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          Yeah, what a bum....
          Come on Va, he wasn't exactly a bum!

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Originally posted by DlocRoth
            And that's precisely why I don't like Leonard. Everyone is always saying how he exceeded expectations. WTF? He's an all time great!

He had ALL of the skills. But he acted like a little pussy all of the time with his woe is me bullshit.

My fights were such wars that I had to retire....... I gave everything.......

His hype was just SOOOOO staged. As if he wasn't training EVERY day during his "retirements".

If he would have just stood on his own justified merits as a great champion I would have a lot more respect for him.
            Leonard is an ATG, no question. Probably an all time P4P Top 10.

He fought a smart fight with Hagler, and I give him major props for it. We have to remember that he was a natural welterwwight, fighting a natural middleweight - that it was competitive is impressive, that it was close is utterly remarkable.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

I'm curious to know how you guys rate Thomas Hearns.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by binnie
                I'm curious to know how you guys rate Thomas Hearns.
                Hearns was fun to watch, but had somewhat of a glass jaw.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

I don't know about 'glass', but his durability was certainly far behind his power. Of the 'Fab Four', I have him at the bottom in terms of ATG status.

A 6' welterweight with hands that fast and power that severe would have been there or thereabouts in any era.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

I have Hearns right there at the second position. Hagler was great but he didn't go up the weight classes like Leonard, Duran and Hearns did. He stayed at his comfortable weight instead of going up and seeking more belts. Because of that, his 3 most memorable fights were against Leonard, Duran and Hearns when they got to his weight. Had those fighters done what Hagler did they never would have fought. Thus i have to put Haglar at 4 even though he was the best of those 4 at that particular weight. Because Duran lost to all of these fighters except Leonard once i have to put Duran at number 3. Hearns would have to be number 2 and Leonard would have to be numero uno.
                    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

I am pretty surprised that Leonard isn't as popular as I thought he was .
                      I thought he was universally excepted as an all time great .
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DlocRoth
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Dloc...did you box??
                        No, brother. Never laced em up.

I haven't hit anyone since 2001. And I don't plan on doing it ever again. I'm too old to trust that my instincts can hang with my mouth.

I just don't understand why people are throwing Ray facts at me.

I love pugilism. And I know what Sugar has done, and it's brilliant.

He fought the best. No question.

That dude could walk into ANY public venue,TODAY, and whip anybody's ass.

He's just such a bitch. He needs everyone to love him, and it's ridiculous. Daddy issues?

Just because guys don't take as much time between bouts then as they do now doesn't mean a thing. It is what it is.

Fighters fight.

Ray, by pretending he's the consummate warrior, looks like a whore by retiring every time he gets rocked. It just looks stupid.

IMO
                        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• DlocRoth
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                          I have Hearns right there at the second position. Hagler was great but he didn't go up the weight classes like Leonard, Duran and Hearns did. He stayed at his comfortable weight instead of going up and seeking more belts. Because of that, his 3 most memorable fights were against Leonard, Duran and Hearns when they got to his weight. Had those fighters done what Hagler did they never would have fought. Thus i have to put Haglar at 4 even though he was the best of those 4 at that particular weight. Because Duran lost to all of these fighters except Leonard once i have to put Duran at number 3. Hearns would have to be number 2 and Leonard would have to be numero uno.
                          The Hitman is my favorite fighter of all time.

With no disrespect to Joe Louis, whom I regard as the best ever.
                          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                            The Hitman is my favorite fighter of all time.

With no disrespect to Joe Louis, whom I regard as the best ever.
                            You picked a damn good one.
                            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

My best memory of Hagler/Leonard is him " stealing" rounds with a 30 sec flurry at the end after moving backwards for 2 1/2 minutes..
                              I watched that fight at a local theater back when they did the closed circuit deal. Me, a friend from school, and another friend of the family. We may have been the only three people in that theater rooting for Hagler....and probably three of maybe twenty white guys. Great enthusiastic crowd that night. The decision gets announced and we quietly got outta there.

I miss the big fights on Monday nights, but we had some great parties for the big Saturday night shows too. Last weekend my friend and I watched the Tyson/Douglas episode of Legendary Nights. We watched the fight live at the old house a few blocks away back in the day. I have the HBO interview that Douglas and Tyson did a week or so later somewhere, I'll have to dig it up. Holyfield/Douglas was back at the bar on a Monday night.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DlocRoth
                                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                                You picked a damn good one.
                                Thanks, brah.

I don't post in this thread anywhere near like I used to. But I still check in quite a bit and I must say that you seven or so regular posters in here most definitely know your shit! I learn new shit and see different, awesome perspectives on things that I thought I had cornered the market on.

After the FF thread went to shit, I think this is the freshest spot on this board.

That being said....

In regards to Joe Louis, I firmly believe that he could EASILY hang with any heavyweight. Any era.

And that's at what? He fought around 200 lbs, give or take 5 or 10 during any given bout?
                                Last edited by DlocRoth; 10-25-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...