X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Part of MMA's success can undoubtedly be attributed to the reticence of the top guys to fight one anohter in boxing. That plus the absence of excitment in the heavyweight division.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

It will never have the rich hiostory or scale of boxing though,you hit the nail on the head with the heavyweight division.Damn binnie you know your shit

could change if Haye beats Wlad though
      I really love you baby, I love what you've got
      Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

It could change, but Haye is planning on retiring by the end of the year anyway - maybe the lure of major $$$$ will keep him in.

Even - and it's a major even - if he beats Wlad, he'd then have to beat Vitali. I just don't see that happening. But even if - by some mathematical fluke - he managed to de-throne both of them, then who would he fight that's exciting? Eddie Chambers? Chris 'my weight is more interesting than my fights' Arreolla? There's just not the depth there.

Shit, these days they'd probably put him in with Evander Holyfield......

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I'm curious to know who people's favourite fighters are - now or ever. Not the guys they think are P4P or GOAT, but the guys they loved to watch.

Mine:

Roberto Duran - do I need to explain that?

Kid Gavilan - fought like his life depending on it, but did it with brains.

Floyd Patterson - determined: no-one had to drag their asses off the canvas more, but he kept winning.

Larry Holmes - perfect jab, great footwork, never dull, and you'd bet the house on him winning.

Tony Zale - Ray Robinson aside, he was as good as anyone at 160.

Ezzard Charles - brains, brawn and skill. 175lbs never looked better.

Pernel Whitaker - hit me if you can, bitch.

These days, I'd say Miguel Cotto (fundamentally flawed but he'll fight Klitschko if you asked him), Juan Manuel Marquez (because he has immense skills but comes to fight), and Nonito Donaire (skills, skills, skillls) get my nod.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

To name a few

Jack Johnson - Probably the most controversial and the first example of a superstar athlete,Great defence style.

Jack Dempsey - exceptional punching power,Pure aggression

Smokin' Joe Frazier - Great fighter,Nice guy always feel sorry for him over the ali stuff (at the time anyway)

Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns - 5 world titles in 5 different divisions.Owner of one of the most popular nick names in boxing and creator of the hitman stance

Marvelous Marvin Hagler - going to opponents' hometowns to get fights,and winning.Probably my favorite middle weight of all time

Iron Mike - Nuff' said
            Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Yeah, Mike has to be on the list - it just kills me watching the post prison fights though. He wasn't the same with the layoff and the lack of decent promotion/training.

Jack Johnson was exceptional - it is one of my ambitions to write a book on him. In those days - well, in any pre-War era - the world stopped during a big fight.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                Yeah, Mike has to be on the list - it just kills me watching the post prison fights though. He wasn't the same with the layoff and the lack of decent promotion/training.

Jack Johnson was exceptional - it is one of my ambitions to write a book on him. In those days - well, in any pre-War era - the world stopped during a big fight.
                It is shocking to look back at the whole White Hope campaign when johnson won the belt.The outrage at a black heavyweight champion.Riot's after he beat james j jeffries and so on.They made a white heavyweight title,It is really harsh stuff.I recently read a great book on that era,When fighters would have a career of 300+ fights.Guy's like Fireman Jim Flynn who woud just keep going into there twilight years,then be forgotten and go on to drive cabs,Boxing was a really cruel mistress.Johnson was incredible though.There was guys like Sam Langford who were really top class fighters who would just take the segrigation,Johnson was brash and flashy.One thing i will say against Jack Dempsey,he drew the colour line when he won the title.make's you wonder how his career may have turnd out if he had not

Today i am hard pressed to think of the last white heavyweight champion of any interest
                Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 05-23-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                  To name a few

Jack Johnson - Probably the most controversial and the first example of a superstar athlete,Great defence style.

Jack Dempsey - exceptional punching power,Pure aggression

Smokin' Joe Frazier - Great fighter,Nice guy always feel sorry for him over the ali stuff (at the time anyway)

Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns - 5 world titles in 5 different divisions.Owner of one of the most popular nick names in boxing and creator of the hitman stance

Marvelous Marvin Hagler - going to opponents' hometowns to get fights,and winning.Probably my favorite middle weight of all time

Iron Mike - Nuff' said

Jack Johnson a controversial hero of mine, but still a hero nonetheless.

Sugar Ray. I know but I like that guy.

"History of the Heavyweight Championships"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                    ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                    Sugar Ray.

Which one?

Comment

• SunisinuS
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • May 2010

Both.

Leonard just came out with a biography btw. Talking about being abused by a coach. I think that guy is a fighter.
                      Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                        Both.

Leonard just came out with a biography btw. Talking about being abused by a coach. I think that guy is a fighter.
                        So i heard yes,says he was 15 i think.Must pick that up at some point (i got quite the collection of boxing books ya know )

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                          ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Well gee SunisinuS,We managed to kill the thread

Possible fight between Zab Judah and Amir Khan comming soon.I would like to see this,I fucking hate Khan.He is a puncher not a boxer.Sure he has fast hands but thats about it.

if it happens Zab takes it,not sure to guess KO or not yet,i will get back to you on that

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

Here are a few of mine that i always enjoyed watching:

Muhammed Ali
                            Roberto Duran
                            Tommy Hearns
                            Sugar Ray Leonard
                            Hector Macho Camacho
                            Aaron Pryor
                            Boom Boom Mancini
                            Salvador Sanchez
                            Little Red Lopez
                            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Where do you stand on the view that Salvador Sanchez is the greatest fighter Mexico ever produced?

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                                ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                                Where do you stand on the view that Salvador Sanchez is the greatest fighter Mexico ever produced?
                                Could have been if not for his premature death.I would have to say Julio Cesar Chavez or Oscar De La Hoya.I would even go so far as to put Erik Morales over him.
                                Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 05-25-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...