Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

I know Dolan is extremely unpopular in NE Ohio, but I think a bit of it's a bum rap. Baseball is the most broken of the major sports; they don't share nearly enough revenue.

A big part of his problem isn't being cheap, but where the money is being spent:

$14M for Hafner, who's been hurt for 2 yrs
    $10M for Wood, who might be good, but they can't get to the 9th with a lead very often.
    $8 or 9M for Westbrook - Tommy John surgery

that's gotta be around 40% of payroll.

they'll never be able to spend like Boston and NY, but that means they have to be right a lot more often. I could throw some stones at Shapiro, but, if I'm honest, I'll admit that I applauded all 3 of those contracts when they were signed.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• damngoodtimes
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

traded Cliff Lee today for 4 prospects....

the shit thing is this is runnin' up the flag for 2010 also. they could've brought him back next year, possibly with Westbrook and Carmona back. in their shitty division, they could've contended with that.

but now, they've pulled the plug on another year before it even starts. it's gonna be hard for them to draw any gate next season.

these guys might be studs in the long run, but its frustrating for a club that hasn't won in 61 years to embark on yet another long rebuild. I never would've guessed two years ago (1 win from the World Series), that it would've gotten this bad, this quick. just goes to show you've gotta win it when the opportunity presents itself, there is no next year.

I actually hope they trade Martinez now. no point in holding on to him, if you've already given up on 2010 and won't re-sign him for '11.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

friend of mine works at Progressive and asked if i wanted tickets to a Friday night game in September. i said sure, they'll only be a million games outta first by then, should be a great night.

at least the Executive Den Downtown is close to the ballpark...
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

twona, as shitty as they are, the fuckin' guys are still only 11 games out right now - with the 3rd worst record in the bigs.

that's how weak the division is. if they were in the AL East, like the Jays, I would understand moving the guy a year early. but the Jays probably won't move Roy. fuckin' backwards.

Comment

• letsrock
            Veteran
            • Mar 2007

They get rid of Cliff Lee yet?
            Loosing Garko wasnt smart either.
            The indians are a minor league for everyone else.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by letsrock
              They get rid of Cliff Lee yet?
              Loosing Garko wasnt smart either.
              The indians are a minor league for everyone else.
              Yup. We picked up Cliff here in Philly yesterday.

Any more Cy Young winners they want to offload?

We're in a buying mood....
              Originally posted by perilouspete
              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by damngoodtimes
                they suck this year....
                Reality is starting to imitate art.

Perhaps they're dumping all of their good players so they can lose big time and move the team...just like in "Major League"....
                Originally posted by perilouspete
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• letsrock
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2007

Its just like when the Cavs back in 86 traded for Larry Nance.
                  They gave up Mark West and Kevin Johnson and a draft pick, who ended up becoming Dan Marjle.
                  And the only thing anyone can say about Nance is.. "he's a nice guy"
                  Cleveland sports never seem to get it.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

that was actually a good trade for both teams. the Cavs already had Mark Price and couldn't put him and KJ on the floor at the same time.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Pavano gone...who's next?

Jamey Carroll...then perhaps...Shoppach?
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

You know what really sucks? The team is starting to play well again...and not only will we lose every good player on the team...

...but they'll probably keep that shitheal manager...
                        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

they're playing well 'cause there is no pressure on them now. the preseason prediction has already been shot to shit.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

If they play tight twona...there's only one person to blame for that...

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

I gotta think Shapiro stays and Wedge goes.

who do they hire next? Torey Lovullo? Hargrove again?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

You know DGT...I still say Bobby Valentine is the way to go...even though they won't.

He's is a fantastic manager, and is known for getting the most out of young players.

Luvullo is the guy on most people's lists...and more importantly...he's cheap.

They could hire Hargrove just to get seats in the Jake...er...Prog...or whatever the fuck it is. You know it's bad when you have to hire Grover to get people to come...

I've heard rumblings of perhaps a major upheaval involving Buddy Bell coming into the front office...but who the hell knows...

Comment

Working...