Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

yeah, I'd have no problem with OL. Hadnot and Pork Chop and St. Clair aren't being confused with the old Hogs from the Redskins.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• damngoodtimes
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

I thought pojo said it was after Red Right 88 in 1980 (Jan of 81), but he can tell you himself.

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by damngoodtimes
        I thought pojo said it was after Red Right 88 in 1980 (Jan of 81), but he can tell you himself.
        I thought it was after a Bengals game in the same era, I think they lost that one.

I would think that it couldn't have been in 1980, as they swept both of those games against the Bengals (one of which, with a last secound Don Cockroft kick)

1979 seems like it has the best fit, as the Browns lost the season finale 16-12.

Though even if they did win that one, I don't think they would have had a chance in hell of beating the '79 Steelers that year.

What Could Have Been - The 1980 Cleveland Browns | Browns | The best Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes coverage on the web!

Their best chance may have been 1980, but even then they would have had to take on the Air Coryall Chargers team, not sure if they would have been able to knock them off.
        Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Unchainme
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2005

FOUR IN A ROW!!!

5-11! 5-11! 5-11!

I'm loving the fact the Browns have changed to a ground game, tough to do in the AFC North, but if you're able to rush like that consistantly you'll be able to win ball games.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

but is 5-11 enough for Mangini to stay?
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Wow...I haven't watched any of this game in thirty years...since I was actually there in that weather...

Wow...brought back all the memories...

For those that don't know the story...it wasn't the Browns losing that ended my rooting interest in the Browns...it was my Dad's reaction to it for the next several hours. My Dad wasn't a wild maniac...

As a matter of fact...I can count on one hand how many times my Dad has lost it...and that day...he lost it...

Got home from the game after listening to him raving for the hour-long trip in the traffic and weather...I walk in the door...and a second or two later...he blindly throws his keys through our basement door...which happened to be a couple of inches from my head...

No shit...through the door...

That second...and that's no joke...I stopped rooting for the Browns...

My entire family...from the Pittsburgh area and north of the Burgh...were Steelers' fans...so that's the direction I went...

Anyways...if you haven't seen it...here it is...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqRdepW3QVw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqRdepW3QVw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Unchainme
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqRdepW3QVw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqRdepW3QVw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                I think that's maybe the Anti-Immaculate Reception, as in it seemed to represent the ultimate reversal of fortunes in Cleveland Sports history. Ever since that it's really been nothing but heartache, save for a ping-pong ball landing in the right direction. .

Newsome said, outside of some funerals he had attended, that it was the quietest he heard a place like that go.

Though one could also argue that the '86 AFCCG was one that really sucked the air out of the city, and make it seem hopeless and a land of despair and misery.

Just kept getting progressivly worse after those two moments, have to wonder what the city of Cleveland did to piss off the Football Gods.

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                  have to wonder what the city of Cleveland did to piss off the Football Gods.
                  the city didn't do anything.

Modell firing Paul Brown did it.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by twonabomber

Have to say, that probably set the Franchise back decades. Could you imagine if say, Paul Brown won that Battle and by '68 retired and handed over the keys to someone like Noll or Shula (both of which I imagine would have taken the gig, as they are native Clevelanders and played for the man)?

I think that, and firing Marty and not hiring Cowher set the franchise back even more.

Modell was a cancer.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

a cancer, and a lousy businessman. taking loans out to pay signing bonuses? i know he had no other career to fall back on or shore up his personal finances, but come on. even when the Browns lose it's like a license to print money.

but then there are those who say Modell had a lot to do with the rich TV contracts between the league and the networks, and that's supposed to make all the dumb shit he did be forgotten.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

His hard-balling of contracts in the 70's turned the Browns into a joke...and nobody wanted to fucking play or coach there...

His hard-balling as the guy in control of the stadium with regards to the Indians kept the Tribe from being competitive for years...

He had every opportunity to do something with regards to a new stadium, but didn't want to give up control of his power with the stadium.

Was offered a slot in the Gateway project...which he said no to...and bitched the whole time...

Got the city to offer up improvements to the Muni...and the fuck rolled out a deal with Baltimore anyways...

then...and this is the best...played rent fucking free...had every fucking deal you can imagine...in Baltimore...had a super bowl team...

and still wasn't making money...

fuck Modell...
                        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Unchainme
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2005

Okay so..Cowher is going to the Bills/Bear/Bucs, one of those three.

My question is, did the Browns miss out by hiring Holmgren over the guy they wanted a year a go or did Lerner auctually make a good hire?

Comment

• Unchainme
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2005

Mangini Watch '10 begins this monday.

Apparently Holmgren and him have a sit down on where the team is to go on monday. Should be interesting.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber

I know a lot of folks who feel that way, too.

but the Browns did win a title two years later in '64 with Blanton Collier.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                                Sniper
                                • Jan 2004

the Holmgren era is two days old now and Mangini is still employed. it will be an interesting week.

reports are that Holmgren has interviewed Eagles GM Heckert for the GM job.

Comment

Working...