X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Drew Brees

Weren't the New Orleans Saints more interesting when their fans were wearing grocery bags over their heads?

Maybe not. But now that the Saints have turned into Texas playing Louisiana-Monroe — scoring 45 points one week and 48 the next is supposed to happen in the Big 12, not the NFL— it is hard to be sure what to think of them.

It's this little guy slinging around all the passes, Drew Brees. The one who has to look up to call the plays for the Saints. Quarterbacks get all the attention, and we know which ones invariably draw the most. Being either a Manning, a Brady, a Favre, a New Yorker, or recently released from a federal correctional facility usually helps. But while trying to keep track of the NFL on television with the remote control the first two weeks, we seem to have spotted a trend.

There's Brett Favre on the field, and all the talk about a divided Minnesota locker room seems to have vanished faster than you can say "The Vikings are 2-0."

Brees is throwing a touchdown pass.

Not only are the New England Patriots proving unable to make the New York Jets pay for all the yapping, there seems to be a moat in front of the end zone that Tom Brady can't penetrate.

Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez for mayor. Or is it governor?

Brees is throwing another touchdown pass.

Does Peyton Manning have enough capable receivers this season when he starts pointing around at the line of scrimmage like a traffic cop at 5 o'clock?

Another touchdown pass for Brees.

All is forgiven in Chicago. Jay Cutler is no longer the biggest scapegoat in town since Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

More touchdown passes, maybe replays. Is it Brees or is it Memorex?

Cowboys vs. the Giants and 105,000 people are there to see the game, some not even Tony Romo's past girlfriends. He's having such a tough night, Terrell Owens will soon be ripping him from a thousand miles away via Twitter.

Brees is being interviewed. We suddenly realize what is missing. For two weeks, every time we've seen him, the New Orleans kicker is jogging past him to line up the PAT.

At the moment, Brees has a 75% completion rate, with nine touchdown passes in two games. That's on pace for 72 touchdowns, which would be good for a video game. Might he now be the fairest quarterback of them all? You could make the argument and not look foolish.

He won't keep this up, of course. For one thing, he doesn't get to face the Detroit Lions again — a pity. Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Eagles were apparently too distracted with their own quarterback issues Sunday to play defense.

For another, defensive coordinators — alarmed at New Orleans' statistic sheets — will be cooking up trouble.

"We've played two games. We're still looking to get better in a lot of areas," Saints coach Sean Payton said at his press conference Monday about the team's rapid-fire start. "I think they're smart enough to know long the season is."

But just the mere fact the words "Saints" and "scary" have been used in the same sentence lately is disorienting. This is a franchise that has been around 43 seasons and owns two playoff victories. There was a day when The Sound of Music was scarier than Saints game films.

They went 8-8 last season, losing five games by a field goal or less. The remedy for such close-call blues has been to win by 18 and 26.

It is a start so dominant to demand a spot for the Saints and Brees at the A table. But is it real? New Orleans plays the Buffalo Bills this week, and up ahead soon are the Jets and Giants. Then we'll know more.

So far, it's been even more entertaining than waiting for Michael Vick. At 6-feet, Brees is easy to lose in the glitzy quarterback crowd.

But not when he's passing.

• sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Man, I hate hearing about Drew. He was a Charger and we let him go for Phillip Rivers. Now, Rivers is good...but Brees is great. Super nice guy too. Seems like whenever San Diego gets rid of a player they go off to great things. We are always trading away the greats rather than trading for them. Oh well. Curse of being a San Diego fan.

Either way, I hope Drew Brees keeps on doing great. I quietly root for him as most San Diegans do.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Mr Walker
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Brees > Brady, Manning and any other NFL QB...

unfortunately I can't help but think that with the Saints, he'll wind up being no more than the Dan Fouts of our era.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Maybe not...but Bush needs to either pick up his game or get traded...

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
          he'll wind up being no more than the Dan Fouts of our era.

See what I mean? Another squandered San Diego talent.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Looking forward to the Jets/Saints match up

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

And just think, I actually put him on waivers for a week a year or two ago...
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                Commando
                • Apr 2006

Brees is the real deal and I think the Saints are too. Phillip Rivers is a great QB. I can't blame the Chargers for going that direction. It had to be a tough decision.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

I agree TW. Brees is a fantastic quarterback that certainly benefits from a system that employs a hole lot of passing. Now, you need a fantastic quarterback to do that.

San Diego had to do something at the time. Brees had a history of injuries, and even though had good seasons in San Diego, had made some mistakes. If I remember correctly, Brees was the guy they took the year they COULD have taken Vick...but either took him with a later first round pick...or in the second. Rivers was a top five pick...and had the pedigree...big kid...unorthodox...but big arm...moxie...

Paying both big bucks...

Had to choose 1...and they went with the younger, more prototypical looking QB. In all honesty, I don't think they could have gone wrong with either.

If they don't make it to a super bowl...it won't be Rivers fault...
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                    Commando
                    • Apr 2006

Poj, spot on. I think the Eagles might be having to deal with the same type of decision between McNabb and Kolb. I know Kolb hasn't had a lot of playing time, but he sure does look good for a young kid. I think the Eagles, faced with that decision next season,should go the younger route. It should be a little easier for them though, because McNabb is older than what Brees was at the time.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

And now you have Vick in the mix...but I do agree...this Kolb kid looks good...

Still...you have to wonder...especially after Garcia's success there...

Could this offense be that type of offense that creates great QB's? Kolb certainly has earned himself a sweet deal based on a couple of games...
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                        Commando
                        • Apr 2006

I think some of it is the system and some of it is the coaching in place there, setting guys up to have success, and some of it is the evaluation of talent to fit the system. It doesn't hurt to have the type of players around you that Philly has either. Throw it all in the melting pot and I think the Birds have found a keeper.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

October 4th...Saints killing the Jets!!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

17-3 in the NFL isn't that big a lead with a full half left...

especially with Reggie Bush fucking around...

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

I agree...Bush needs to be jettisoned...

Comment

Working...