X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

The 2009 World Series Thread

OK....I will clearly be biased as a native Philadelphian, but here is the 2009 World Series thread!

The Phillies are looking to repeat as World Champions, which would make them the first NL team to lock up back-to-back championships since the Big Red Machine did it back in the 70's.

Last night....Game 1 in Da Bronx. The Phillies dismantled C.C. Sabathia and Cliff Lee shut down the Yankee offense virtually single-handed. Lee was a magician on the mound last night, and he left the Yankee hitters in a state of shock.

Tonight...Game 2. Pedro Martinez goes for the Phils against A.J. Burnett for the Yanks. Martinez is a big game pitcher who has had a stellar post-season thus far.

Share your World Series thoughts and predictions here.

And oh yeah.... GO PHILLIES!!!!

Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I'm rooting for the Phillies since I hate the Stankees. I hope they sweep them!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Well, the Phillies are among the 15 or so MLB teams that can actually afford to resign their players rather than trade them/let them walk as free agents when their contract is due to expire. That's opposed to the also-rans in Pittsburgh, Washington, Oakland, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Cincinatti, Kansas City and a few others, that are nothing more than feeder teams for the big spenders....

MLB blows, and will continue to blow until there's a salary cap, which will never happen because small-market teams have no backbone.....

Having said that, and this will be the only time in my sports rooting history, I'm actually rooting for a Philadelphia team....

Anybody but the Yankees...
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        I'm actually rooting for a Philadelphia team....
        BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I knew we'd get to you....eventually!!!!!!!
        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

The ONLY time....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            The ONLY time....
            Mmmmm hmmmm...........sure!

Until next year when we go for the THREE-PEAT!!!

Comment

• lesfunk
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Fuck the Yankees with a big Rubber dick. Then break it off in their ass and beat them to death with the rest of it!
              Phillies will be the 2nd team this century to win 2 world series championships.
              http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• High Life Man
                Commando
                • Jan 2004

Both teams are cunts. Hate 'em both.

Philly has a swagger to them though. What would have happened if they would have pulled the trigger on the firing of Manuel a couple years ago?

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by High Life Man
                  Both teams are cunts. Hate 'em both.

Philly has a swagger to them though. What would have happened if they would have pulled the trigger on the firing of Manuel a couple years ago?
                  Why hate on the Phillies?

Oh wait. I just saw that you're from *ahem*.....Milwaukee! I understand your anger in the wake of 2008.

Just kidding...

This Phillies team is clearly the best ever assembled in franchise history. They do have a swagger, but it's not overstated. It's a quiet confidence, unlike that of the Yankees that they like to wear on their sleeves.

Speaking of the Yankees, what the fuck is with their fans? They BLOW when it comes to helping their team. From the beginning of Game 1, they seemed very "ho hum" about the whole thing. You didn't hear a peep from them until about 9:30 last night....midway through GAME 2.

Are they that cocky and self-assured that they think they have this sewn up? Or are they just back on their heels because they got rocked in Game 1?

Say what you want about us Philly fans...but whether we're leading or trailing in a game, we're gonna be LOUD and work hard to fuck up the other team.

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                    Commando
                    • Apr 2006

Go Phils!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

The bottom line is that when you have a sport, whether that's pro, college or pee-wee, that has a system in which approximately half of the teams have virtually no shot at winning the championship before the season even starts, that is an unfair league....

A league's economic system should not be determined by the wealth, or lack thereof, of the owner....

There are exceptions of course...

The Twins have done a great job in hanging in there for the past several years... But if the league had a salary cap, they would have had a better chance of re-signing him, rather than trading him for four mid-level Mets prospects in '08....

How about Oakland ?? Everyone keeps saying how great Billy Beane is, but look at the players that he's had to dump - Zito, Mulder, Hudson and even this year with Holliday....

Cleveland is this year's perfect example - Both starters in the Game One of the World Series were Indians' salary dumps....

I could of course mention my Pirates, there are dozens of players I could mention, but the Bucs' incompetency is as much to fault as the MLB economic system....

So basically, it comes down to this; The small-market teams can afford the entry-level contract, and maybe if they're lucky, resign their best player to one big contract... What most can't do is resign their best players, which leads to the salary dump trades....

What they also can't do is do what the rich teams do; Keep trading mid-level prospects for taking on the big contracts, as well as even having the capability to sign big ticket free agents...

But listen to Selig, and everything's just ducky....

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Awwwww fuck.

This is not good....

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Lifetime Yankees fan. But my company has been doing some business with one of the Phillies pitchers, so if they win, I am not going to complain.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Yankees win!

Here's some fans celebrating!

<object width="464" height="384" alt="Phillies and Yankees Fans Brawl in Parking Lot Funny Videos" ><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/1483520"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/1483520" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" width="464" height="384"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/phillies-and-yankees-fans-brawl-in-parking-lot.html">Phillies and Yankees Fans Brawl in Parking Lot</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">Funny Videos</a></font>
                            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Bob_R
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

Working...